What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Hernandez current dynasty value (2 Viewers)

thriftyrocker said:
Vick missed 2 years and I don't know anyone who held him the whole time.
But you know a lot of people that grabbed him off the waiver wire the minute the news broke and won leagues that year. That's the point in a nut shell. You know what Hernandez can do. He's worth the wait, given his agem in large league with good size rosters.
Yes. Also people who added him in Dec the year before he came back and people who drafted him in the early 2nd of rookie/FA drafts. Will people learn from Vick and Plax and just hold the guy if he is given an indefinite ban and the Pats cut him and seek back signing bonus money? I kind of doubt it. It depends on the sentence though. If he is an accessory to murder and its a 1-3 yr sentence, I think people will outright drop him. If it's a lesser charge or plea'ed down to the point where his 2014 return is likely, I don't expect any drops. Assuming NEP doesn't want him back, I think that hurts his value too. He's not in the same position Vick was to dictate his own success. He is still a TE1 when healthy but 1000yd seasons and top 1 upside seems less likely.

Absolutely. I will buy at a good price right now. Lets say he is not convicted of anything but misses this entire year for a suspension.

To me that would make him still easily worth a couple 1sts. And from what I see so far, people are GIVING him away
lol
I didn't say I would actually GIVE two 1sts. I said if he came back playing in 2014 he is definitely worth two 1sts.

I will happily pay the 2nd rounders than people are selling for.
Please, no backtracking.

Amused to Death said:
Shutout said:
Mr Non Sequitur said:
Shutout said:
Lets reset the panic button some.

Hernandez appears to be in some trouble; let's assume that just so we are all evaluating from the same position. So lets assume he is in trouble and let's assume he won't play for five years. As crazy as that seems to hold a player, lets remember that if that happened, he would still be young enough to come back and put up five more years of top production. That's not a given of course but with all things being equal, the point is to illustrate that, given his known level of talent, isn't it crazy to even consider trading him away for such low compensation?

If you tell me today that he won't play for two years, I'm still holding a dynasty spot for him and saying "see you when you're 25" before I'm trading him away for 3rd rounders and houslers and second rate talent.
C'mon Shout, 5 yrs in prison and you are a buyer?
Probably so just because if that was the "known" amount being reported, he would be had for peanuts so I'd take him and see if he gets out early on parol early and IF he did happen to serve all that time, I think its worth it. Think about it in another frame of mind and remove all the rumor and speculation.

If Cam Newton announced his retirement today..says he is going to go do mission work. Drops off the planet and shows up 7 years from now and is 29 or whatever and gets back into the NFL. Despite all that time and all the rust, etc, don't you think people will go after him hard? I think they would because they have seen the proven production and that is what we have in Hernandex. 28 years old is pretty young for a TE. If you get that production back, you still get 4-5 top years.

Look at how old Ricky Williams was when he came back and he still had a fantasy market. I see why people would ask me the quesiton if I am serious on the "today" side, but i can almost guarantee that if someone actually had this guy on a roster and he came back 3,4,5 years from now, the market is still going to be there.
A market may still be there, but the market for an elite FFL TE? People would take a flyer on him, but I doubt he'll be drafted in the 2nd round. And what are the chances he comes backs as a starting TE? And for what team? Do you think Bill and Tom welcome him back as if nothing happened (if they're still in the league)?

Too many questions to commit valuable FFL resources on a long-term 'maybe'.
I tend to play in large leagues with 40 roster spots or so, so my answer to this question IS swayed by the fact that I am not in a 12 teamer with 26 roster spots but...

The bolded sentence you have is exactly why I say "yes". Think about what people mean when they talk about a roster spot being a valuable FFL resource and the player being a "maybe". Well, we know he's not a "maybe". We can speculate that he may or may not come back to the Patriots, but we do know his general talent level and teams want that. He won't be old by any means so he's not going to have skill erosion. Basically, if teams want a 30+ old Plaxico and he can be fantasy-relevant, I think we have seen enough of Hernandez to say the same. And as easily as we can speculate that he would come back and not go to a good team, we could also speculate that he comes back and is signed by the Niners and, oh by the way, Kaepernick is now the consensus #1 fantasy QB. It goes both way. But the constant in all this is we know his talent and his age.

Regarding the roster spot, I personally think its pointless to say that my thought is "if I waste a dead roster spot for 1-4 years or whatever that I have drained valuable resources that justify passing on Aaron hernandez. Not because I don't agree that the roster spot IS indeed valuable but because I know in reality, we ALL do worse than that every year. Even the best of dynasty teams that I play with every year across multiple leagues are guilty of having those one or two "developmental" guys that they just have a feeling for that they hold on to foolishly. We all do it, for whatever reason and at the end of the day, I am happier saying I held and waited for Hernandez to come back for 2-3 years than I am to say "Well, I finally came around to realizing a couple of years that after holding Tashard Choice on my dynasty roster for two years that it just wasn't going to happen. But hey! I just added this Greg Childs guy that I think will be good given some time."

Point being, I will take any known over the complete unknown in any crapshoot. ANY piece of information you have is better than nothing and since we all are predispositioned to have a couple of spots devoted to lottery tickets on our dyno teams, why not commit one to something eliminates the "ability question" side of the equation and focusses solely on the "is he going to be allowed back" side?

Even in 12 x 25 leagues there is usually some dog poop rostered by most every team. We all make room for 3rd, even 4th round rookies most years who have a minescule chance of ever amounting to anything. Hernandez has a much greater chance at future relevance IMO than a WR taken in the 6th round of the NFL draft or a undrafted rookie RB. He's 23 with proven talent.

thriftyrocker said:
But you know a lot of people that grabbed him off the waiver wire the minute the news broke and won leagues that year. That's the point in a nut shell. You know what Hernandez can do. He's worth the wait, given his agem in large league with good size rosters.
Yes. Also people who added him in Dec the year before he came back and people who drafted him in the early 2nd of rookie/FA drafts. Will people learn from Vick and Plax and just hold the guy if he is given an indefinite ban and the Pats cut him and seek back signing bonus money? I kind of doubt it. It depends on the sentence though. If he is an accessory to murder and its a 1-3 yr sentence, I think people will outright drop him. If it's a lesser charge or plea'ed down to the point where his 2014 return is likely, I don't expect any drops. Assuming NEP doesn't want him back, I think that hurts his value too. He's not in the same position Vick was to dictate his own success. He is still a TE1 when healthy but 1000yd seasons and top 1 upside seems less likely.
I can kind of see people doing that but my own personal thought on that is if he gets a sentence like that, as bad as that is, it also suggests that he is not convicted of murder and so as a lesser charge and noth having a prior conviction, I think he would be a good candidate to only serve half that sentence or so. So, if he missed a season and a half at his age, to me its like a guy that tears an ACL in camp. If its a good player, I don't drop that type of player in a dynasty.

thriftyrocker said:
Vick missed 2 NFL seasons, then sat as a back up for a year before finally being FFL relevant week 2 of 2010 when finally got a chance due to Kolb's injury. Before that he hadn't helped a fantasy team since December '06. Long time to wait, 2006 to 2010.

And he wasn't involved in any murders.

thriftyrocker said:
Vick missed 2 NFL seasons, then sat as a back up for a year before finally being FFL relevant week 2 of 2010 when finally got a chance due to Kolb's injury. Before that he hadn't helped a fantasy team since December '06. Long time to wait, 2006 to 2010.

Exactly. No matter how good Hernandez is his involvement in a murder is far worse than what Vick did (to most people).

thriftyrocker said:

Exactly. No matter how good Hernandez is his involvement in a murder is far worse than what Vick did (to most people).
Dogs are better than most people I know.

Accessory is the same thing Ray plea'ed to. Big difference between conspiracy to commit and accessory after the fact. If it's conspiracy to commit I doubt he's allowed back in the league. (But I also doubt they are able to pin something like that on him even if he did it.)

The Hernandez owner in one of my leagues hates players with off the field issues, and messaged the league this morning and asked if anyone was interested. I ended up trading him Gonzo for Hernandez. I gave him a choice of Gonzo, Dwayne Allen, or Heath Miller. This league has lots of flex positions(you start 2 QB's and then a combination of 9 RB/ WR/TE plus a full 11 man IDP and 1 IDP flex. You only have to start 1 TE but you can start up to 3 and we have 50 man rosters plus 5 rookies on Taxi Squad. With rosters that size I can hold him for a while if necessary and I'm okay with giving up what's likely only one year, though it should be a pretty good one, of Tony G.

Accessory is the same thing Ray plea'ed to. Big difference between conspiracy to commit and accessory after the fact. If it's conspiracy to commit I doubt he's allowed back in the league. (But I also doubt they are able to pin something like that on him even if he did it.)
Looking it up he actually pleaded to obstruction of justice.

The big difference between Ray Lewis' case and Hernandez' is that Lewis' was a heat of the moment murder with knives while Hernandez's looks premeditated with the gunshot to the back of the head.

ghostguy123 said:
DropKick said:
I think his value is zero. Negative if you hold out hope and it costs you a roster spot.

Everything coming out about his behavior screams guilt. I'd be surprised if NE didn't cut ties at some point in the near future.
Zero??? Everything coming out screams "involved", however I am more than happy to have a murderer on my fantasy team that was acquitted if he is going to produce for me.

So, if he is actually FOUND GUILTY then yeah, cut him or whatever. Until then, I am a bigtime buyer at "zero value" :moneybag:
Involved = Guilty. Your loss.

His only hope is our defective legal system, so I'll admit - he has a chance.

He can be on your fantasy team. But, in real life, where will he be? It doesn't get worse than murder. NFL teams have a brand to protect. And an execution style killing of a friend/acquaintance who Hernandez is closely linked to at/around the slaying? Throw in the erratic behavior, lack of cooperation with authorities, cleaning of his house, destruction of his cell phone and home surveillance system...

If it looks, walks and quacks like a thug... It's a thug. I expect more damning information will come out in the next few weeks.

As a Hernandez owner in multiple leagues, his value is the same as it was last week, until proven otherwise, especially with Gronk coming off of multiple surgeries.

However, I'm sure you can find some scared owners out there who will cough him up for next to nothing.
:goodposting:

I don't know about you guys, but we have two "Legal Troubles" slots that kind of act like a dynasty Practice Squad. It just makes sense to have this as an option in this day and age, especially with 45+ man rosters.

Even in 12 x 25 leagues there is usually some dog poop rostered by most every team. We all make room for 3rd, even 4th round rookies most years who have a minescule chance of ever amounting to anything. Hernandez has a much greater chance at future relevance IMO than a WR taken in the 6th round of the NFL draft or a undrafted rookie RB. He's 23 with proven talent.
I completely agree. I was in a startup pretty recently and once you get into round 20 and beyond, it is really slim pickings. You are looking at the equivalent of 6th round rookie draft selections going off the board at that point. Guys like Brock Osweiler are being drafted and he isn't going to be getting playing time in the next few years either. If Hernandez only misses a year or two, he is a hold unless it is an abnormally shallow league.

thriftyrocker said:
Vick missed 2 NFL seasons, then sat as a back up for a year before finally being FFL relevant week 2 of 2010 when finally got a chance due to Kolb's injury. Before that he hadn't helped a fantasy team since December '06. Long time to wait, 2006 to 2010.And he wasn't involved in any murders.
True, and I don't argue that some people won't want to hold a player. But the thought is -knowing that he could be like Vick and have that kind of value that Vick had when he came back (and helped win league titles), is he not worth holding? Really, wouldnt you rather hold hernandez for three years instead if a brock osweiler or a gavin escobar? how many years have people been holding mallet? how much were people rewarded for holding aaron rodgers? The alternative scenario is let's say everyone drops him. Well you know when he returns, he instantly has extreme value and he is still young, etc. why would dynasty owners let a guy with that kind of value sit out there? There is value to be had.The other difference in this case is, honestly, when this happened to Vick, it was kind of a new thing to us. We weren't used to it. And Vick was a lot older. A lot of people thought he would go to jail for a long time and be too old to return. Same thought with plax. But we know Hernandez could go away got three years and still be 26 when the season starts. That's a huge difference.

Obviously people will have different thoughts on this but if I own him and they tell me he is gets a three year jail term, I hold him and if its that long, ok, you're 26. If he gets out earlier then I treat it like bad ACL that took a year to get over and then a stint on the pup and I see him when he is 25. The thing is that he's just too talented and young to ignore unless he goes to jail for twenty years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously people will have different thoughts on this but if I own him and they tell me he is gets a three year jail term, I hold him and if its that long, ok, you're 26. If he gets out earlier then I treat it like bad ACL that took a year to get over and then a stint on the pup and I see him when he is 25. The thing is that he's just too talented and young to ignore unless he goes to jail for twenty years.
There are a lot of assumptions that he is going to come back and be a top fantasy option. In reality, if he does go to prision, he likely wont be going back to NE. Part of his value came from the NE offense and having an Elite QB. Who knows where he ends up and who his QB or role will be.

Say he comes back to have several low end TE1 years. Was that really worth a 3 year hold? What is the going rate for a low TE1 these days?

Offered Fred Davis and Eddie Lacy, who I took at 1.06. Because I'm actually trying to get a deal done, not just insult an owner whose player might be in trouble. No ones moving Hernadez for Jon Dwyer. But they might move him at a decent discount if you send a serious offer.
I'd trade hernandez for this in a new york second. The guy is going to jail for obstruction at the very least.

In our league, players on your practice squad can be stolen for a third round pick in next year's rookie draft. If I owned Hernandez, i'd put him on the practice squad now and pray someone steals him.

All the comparisons to Vick are off base IMO. Hernandez doesn't score as many fantasy points as Vick when both are starting. And his VBD is not close either, taking positional value into account. In most scoring systems, it's not close.

Furthermore, Vick was always an anomaly at his position, which led to a scoring advantage due to unusually high running production. Hernandez is good, but nothing about his game gives him a specific advantage over his peers. He is talented, but he has benefitted a lot from the Pats offensive system and from playing with Brady. Vick didn't need another superstar teammate or a specific system.

And, by the way, I despise Vick. I have not owned him since his crimes came out and never will. Same for Hernandez for me, assuming the situation doesn't somehow turn completely around.

As a Hernandez owner in multiple leagues, his value is the same as it was last week, until proven otherwise, especially with Gronk coming off of multiple surgeries.

However, I'm sure you can find some scared owners out there who will cough him up for next to nothing.
How the hell can you say that is good posting today?
Innocent until proven guilty. Welcome to America, pal.

Was offered Owen Daniels...thinking of jumping on it after a bunch of other much crappier offers came in the past couple days.

As I see it, Hernandez situation is way worse than any of the examples being discussed here. The Ray Lewis situation was a brawl situation where the participants were able to plead self defense. I can't remember the specifics, but I thought they were charged with manslaughter.

The next issue here is that Goodell at some point will most likely be handing out an indefinite suspension for multiple incidents and involvement in a homicide. That's regardless of what the formal charges turn out to be, and I would suspect that the longer the legal case drags out, the longer that suspension would be.

I don't see how Hernandez skates on this and doesn't serve time. Burress shot himself and went away for almost two years. Vick went to prison for around 2 years that did not involve injuries to a person.

Barring really unforeseen circumstances, Hernandez was with two other men in a car when the other guy was killed. I don't see a way he gets out of this scott free.

As for fantasy football, I'm not sure we can conclude that the Pats will be happy to roster an accessory to murder, so even if Hernandez serves out his suspension and jail term, we are all assuming he comes back at 100% skill wise on the same Patriots team in the same role. If he were to stay in NE, who knows who the QB and the coach would even be. If not, we have no idea where he would end up and if he could produce as the old Hernandez did in NE. Put Hernandez on the equivalent of CLE or JAX this year as a back up TE and what would his fantasy value be?

Certainly all of this is speculative, but IMO there are far more potential negative outcomes that can stem from this than positive ones.

He does not have to be found guilty to get suspended or cut.

He does not have to be found guilty to get suspended or cut.
I'm buying low in all formats bro.

Yeah because, on top of the obvious character issues, it's not like he's injury prone on top of that right?

I want nothing to do with him.

thanks for the information bro
Pretty sure kOOk is :fishing: and should be ignored.

I said it way upthread but I'll say it again. Giving up anything you value for Hernandez is a mistake. If you even think you might use a player in a lineup, don't trade him. I'm seeing Fleener plus a pick, etc., given for Hernandez and I think that's madness. Those of you giving up decent value for him really don't get it, but in time you will: Hernandez is worth just about zero. The obstruction charge is just the tip of the iceberg. He is NOT getting off lightly on this. He is a criminal, going away for awhile, and he is most likely done in the NFL -- permanently. You aren't being a shark buying low, you are giving players away for nothing. Stop making stupid trades to obtain him!!!!!

The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is that I know I'll hate myself more if he somehow regains top-5 TE value than if I just go down with the ship.

Just traded Kelce for Hernandez in a 12 team ppr dynasty where I also have V.Davis and Housler
I'm having a hard time moving Hernandez for Daniels right now, but I'd never move Kelce for him, potential is sky high there.
I'd move Daniels for him in a heartbeat. What are you really risking? An injury prone aging TE who might very well be on his last year with the Texans? I'm in the middle of a startup right now that is 1.5 TE PPR and I think OD went in the 12th or 13th round and I'd have rather picked 4-5 other TE's who are still left on the board over him.

ETA-I read your post wrong, you are giving up Hernandez for Daniels and now I see have already done it. I'd never have done that myself.

In a non-TE required, non-PPR league (i.e. Hernandez is basically a low-ceiling WR2), I've been offered a 2015 2nd round pick. I'm strongly considering it.

Just traded Kelce for Hernandez in a 12 team ppr dynasty where I also have V.Davis and Housler
I'm having a hard time moving Hernandez for Daniels right now, but I'd never move Kelce for him, potential is sky high there.
I'd move Daniels for him in a heartbeat. What are you really risking? An injury prone aging TE who might very well be on his last year with the Texans? I'm in the middle of a startup right now that is 1.5 TE PPR and I think OD went in the 12th or 13th round and I'd have rather picked 4-5 other TE's who are still left on the board over him.

ETA-I read your post wrong, you are giving up Hernandez for Daniels and now I see have already done it. I'd never have done that myself.
For someone who likes to win, a mid/low-end TE1 (when healthy) is a pretty decent get. Its miles better than the future 2nds and 3rds people are taking, and lower-ceiling TE swaps being offered.

At least, that's my take on it. Obviously, as I made the deal. But you aren't throwing Hernandez away for this price, whereas someone who doesn't already have a stud TE, or another TE1 who moves Daniels to take the risk on Hernandez might be throwing away a nice piece that can keep you competitive.

As I see it, Hernandez situation is way worse than any of the examples being discussed here. The Ray Lewis situation was a brawl situation where the participants were able to plead self defense. I can't remember the specifics, but I thought they were charged with manslaughter.

The next issue here is that Goodell at some point will most likely be handing out an indefinite suspension for multiple incidents and involvement in a homicide. That's regardless of what the formal charges turn out to be, and I would suspect that the longer the legal case drags out, the longer that suspension would be.

I don't see how Hernandez skates on this and doesn't serve time. Burress shot himself and went away for almost two years. Vick went to prison for around 2 years that did not involve injuries to a person.

Barring really unforeseen circumstances, Hernandez was with two other men in a car when the other guy was killed. I don't see a way he gets out of this scott free.

As for fantasy football, I'm not sure we can conclude that the Pats will be happy to roster an accessory to murder, so even if Hernandez serves out his suspension and jail term, we are all assuming he comes back at 100% skill wise on the same Patriots team in the same role. If he were to stay in NE, who knows who the QB and the coach would even be. If not, we have no idea where he would end up and if he could produce as the old Hernandez did in NE. Put Hernandez on the equivalent of CLE or JAX this year as a back up TE and what would his fantasy value be?

Certainly all of this is speculative, but IMO there are far more potential negative outcomes that can stem from this than positive ones.
thanks for the information bro
I said it way upthread but I'll say it again. Giving up anything you value for Hernandez is a mistake. If you even think you might use a player in a lineup, don't trade him. I'm seeing Fleener plus a pick, etc., given for Hernandez and I think that's madness. Those of you giving up decent value for him really don't get it, but in time you will: Hernandez is worth just about zero. The obstruction charge is just the tip of the iceberg. He is NOT getting off lightly on this. He is a criminal, going away for awhile, and he is most likely done in the NFL -- permanently. You aren't being a shark buying low, you are giving players away for nothing. Stop making stupid trades to obtain him!!!!!
I think this sums it up best. It just seems to get worse by the minute and now police are finding secret safes in the house, it might take a few weeks/months for it all to be revealed but by the time that happens his stock will be a total zero. I have never seen a player go form that high to that low in such a quick manner other than injury of course. I do feel bad for Hernandez owners, I never new this kid was a knucklehead until pretty recently, maybe that was naivety on my part but I don't see how most owners could have seen this coming a mile away, no way and it's just unfortunate luck/bad luck for owners.

PatsWillWin said:
In a non-TE required, non-PPR league (i.e. Hernandez is basically a low-ceiling WR2), I've been offered a 2015 2nd round pick. I'm strongly considering it.
WHy not just wait till 2015 when there is a rather high likelyhood Hernandez will be back playing. He will be worth one hell of a lot more than that 2nd rounder in 2015.

I dont see trading hernandez for something that MIGHT help 2 years down the road when you can just wait out his situation. Even if he is found guilty I wouldnt trade him for a 2015 2nd, because even a year of prison shouldnt keep him from playing in 2015

PatsWillWin said:
WHy not just wait till 2015 when there is a rather high likelyhood Hernandez will be back playing. He will be worth one hell of a lot more than that 2nd rounder in 2015.

I dont see trading hernandez for something that MIGHT help 2 years down the road when you can just wait out his situation. Even if he is found guilty I wouldnt trade him for a 2015 2nd, because even a year of prison shouldnt keep him from playing in 2015
If Hernandez goes to prison for any extended amount of time, I highly doubt he will be back with the Patriots. How valuable would he be on another team?

PatsWillWin said:

If Hernandez goes to prison for any extended amount of time, I highly doubt he will be back with the Patriots. How valuable would he be on another team?
He is a good player, so he WOULD be valuable on another team. Key word in what you said though is "if". "if he goes to prison for a long long time then yes, that 2nd will look good. "If" he is back playing by the 2014 or even 2015 season, it looks like a horrid trade.

A 2nd rounder in 2015 is no where valuable enough for me to give up what Hernandez can still be given no convictions of anything carrying a very long prison sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread