What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (5 Viewers)

Much different game than last week but overall it could have been worse. If it weren't for that last catch the doomsday guys will be dropping him for O'Shaughnessy.

This game was a good reminder that you can't be Baby Gronk when you have Infant Brady throwing you the ball. Kelce is going to have games like this because Smith is going to have games like this.

That said, Denver is a really good defense, so I can't hold this game against Smith too much.

This game was a good reminder that you can't be Baby Gronk when you have Infant Brady throwing you the ball. Kelce is going to have games like this because Smith is going to have games like this.

That said, Denver is a really good defense, so I can't hold this game against Smith too much.
Gronk had a game very similar to this in week two last year. It happens. A 4/59 statline isn't exciting, but it's nothing to panic about with a TE.

Yes...the old...remove that big play and....

Do you say the same about Abdullah's TD?

How about take away everyone's biggest play this past weekend and see how their stat line looks?
:rolleyes: Nope. Nope. Nope. You missed what I wrote. The key is "busted coverage". Abdullah made a play. Kelce made a play to score his other TD. The big one, however, was the result of busted coverage. Most people, like you, don't realize it. So that's why it's a great time to capitalize.
So...no other teams will ever have that.

Point is...things like that happen.

And the guy has shown in the past to be able to make plays as well.

Taking away things is stupid and a fools errand in FF.
Burying your head in the sand and pretending a guy making a play is the same as busted coverage is stupid. Recognizing when a busted play has inflated a guy's value is smart. Busted plays happen and they're nice, but they're also rare. When a guy has hype and he gets a busted play week 1, it's time to capitalize.

Man, I haven't seen this much excitement generated due to a busted play since Kenny Britt week 2 2011. You remove that busted coverage (1/42/1) and you're looking at a totally different stat line.

I would trade him immediately if I owned him. Alex Smith threw the ball 33 times - ahead of last year's pace and actually on pace for a career high of 528 passing attempts. Kelce only got 6 targets - which is exactly what I expected weekly. With Maclin getting 9 targets, maybe 6 was too high of a projection. Either way, those six targets will typically translate to 4/52/0. Enjoy the big week 1, but realize what it is - an aberration. He's not going to get much more than 6 targets each week and he certainly won't be catching 100% of them or being left wide open for long TDs.

I know it is unpopular to be the wet blanket after a big week, but realize there were some extenuating circumstances that led to his stat line. He's a great talent in an average to below average situation - not very many targets and at least 33% of them are going to the RBs.
100% catch success rate in a game that was out of hand by half time and we're supposed to be disappointed with only 6 targets? How do you know he'll not get much more targets than that, don't you think it will be game dependent? Wish I had your crystal ball to know what targets a player will receive. Regardless of your odd arguments, he's a beast, a fine blocker and a huge red zone target. Don't know why some are so determined to be negative, something to crow about later if you happen to be right?
I don't quote old posts to boast, so no. Just bringing a contrary opinion for discussion or for a warning. As for your question on targets, the answer is simple math. I have brought it up before, but there just aren't many targets to go around in this offense. You'll be lucky to get 33 passes from Smith on average and it sure looks like Reid is intent on getting Maclin involved and you already know the RBs will get at least a third of the targets. After the RBs, there will be about 20 targets left to spread around. Maclin will get at least 7, maybe 8. That leaves about a dozen targets for the other WRs and TEs. I predict Kelce will get 6 of them. This is just not an offense that is going to produce very many targets for the TE, no matter how good he is. I still think 100 targets is a realistic projection for Kelce. I'll be very surprised if he eclipses 110 barring something unforeseen, such as a Maclin injury or historical number of passing attempts.

He's off to a good start, but it'll be very hard to be a top TE with 100 targets or less. From this point on, he's likely to underperform expectations which is why he's a great guy to trade in redraft. His value will never be higher. Preseason hype + big first week is as good as it gets.

yeah, trade immediately!!! That's not the shark move, more like the puffer fish. This guy is $$$. What a ridiculous post, "a great talent", lol. Even more so when Smith loves throwing to anyone that's not a WR, at least for TD's. Watch Kelce play, use the eye test, he is dynamic, strong, quick for a big man, passes with flying colors. I would trade for Kelce if I didn't have him already, easy top 5 barring injury.
That's exactly what guppies say when they get lucky in week 1 and someone suggests it won't continue. It's ok. You've got strength in numbers. You can laugh me out of here, but it won't help you down the line. You could maximize value right now, though, instead of killing the messenger.
A contrary opinion is just fine. I welcome it and I have no insider knowledge or know anymore than anyone else. I'm just a pleased owner in my league trying to enjoy a player predicted to bust out and it looks like he's going to. How either of us or anyone outside the Chiefs at all can know how targets per game will shake out is purely guess work. My guess is Reid will involve him at every opportunity and especially in the red zone, he's a huge target with good hands.

They can't just pass to Maclin or Charles all the time. Sure, you could "cash in" on his week one but what do you do at TE after that, unless you happen to have drafted Gronk AND Kelce. How do you know what waiver/FE TE's out there WILL produce what you're getting rid of to cash in on Kelce's "abberration" of a week one? So say you get rid, then what? Look to pick up ASJ or Eifert if they're even FA's and expect them to do what you think Kelce won't?
Nobody can predict exact numbers, but historical numbers help give an idea. I mean, there was a report that Reid limited Kelce's snaps early last year due to the microfracture surgery, but if you look at his splits, his targets (42 vs. 45) were basically identical in each half of the season despite Kelce being very productive during the first 8 games (strangely, he only scored 1 TD off those 45 targets). And looking at the past two years, there aren't going to be a ton of passes to go around and a lot of them are going to the RBs. Add to this the fact that Reid brought in the guy he himself drafted in the first round while in Philly and you have to be concerned about Kelce's chances of topping 100 targets on the year. So far Maclin has led the team in targets both games.

As to what I'd have done if I had spent a 5th round pick on Kelce and wanted to cash in? Yeah, I'd have pursued Eifert (not ASJ, tho). Perhaps his owner will think it was a fluke and would throw in an extra player for the hyped up Kelce. Personally, Eifert was the guy I targeted in every league. If not Eifert, then maybe try to get Olsen. Or try to improve at another position and use my backup (Vernon Davis, Heath Miller). I think Vernon will get around the same number of targets as Kelce this season and he's even more athletic. I'm not saying they'll score the same, but the points drop off would be more than offset by the player you got in return for Kelce if you do it right.

How about take away everyone's biggest play this past weekend and see how their stat line looks?
:rolleyes: Nope. Nope. Nope. You missed what I wrote. The key is "busted coverage". Abdullah made a play. Kelce made a play to score his other TD. The big one, however, was the result of busted coverage. Most people, like you, don't realize it. So that's why it's a great time to capitalize.

Burying your head in the sand and pretending a guy making a play is the same as busted coverage is stupid. Recognizing when a busted play has inflated a guy's value is smart. Busted plays happen and they're nice, but they're also rare. When a guy has hype and he gets a busted play week 1, it's time to capitalize.
You're so far off on this, it's crazy.

If you're acquiring a player or holding on to them because you casually saw in in the box score that he put up 100 yards and a TD, but his 75 yard TD came on a busted play and it was only 1 of 3 receptions in the game, yes, you're burying your head in the sand and not doing enough work for your roster.

But if outside of that 75 yard TD on a busted play, he also put up 5 for 60 and a TD, that isn't a fluke. It's a good player who also benefited from a random play.

You could have made plenty of reasonable arguments why people should pump the breaks on anointing Kelce as the next Gronk. You just chose the absolute worst one because, I don't know, you happened to see a busted play take place and wanted to make sure we all knew how observant you are? Congratulations, your vision is spectacular.

If you're acquiring a player or holding on to them because you casually saw in in the box score that he put up 100 yards and a TD, but his 75 yard TD came on a busted play and it was only 1 of 3 receptions in the game, yes, you're burying your head in the sand and not doing enough work for your roster.

But if outside of that 75 yard TD on a busted play, he also put up 5 for 60 and a TD, that isn't a fluke. It's a good player who also benefited from a random play.

You could have made plenty of reasonable arguments why people should pump the breaks on anointing Kelce as the next Gronk. You just chose the absolute worst one because, I don't know, you happened to see a busted play take place and wanted to make sure we all knew how observant you are? Congratulations, your vision is spectacular.
You are actually missing my main point which is that Kelce will be lucky to break 100 targets. He was overvalued before the draft, so that busted play just gave you guys an out. The busted play is merely a secondary point to the main point. If you want to focus on that, go for it, but that's not the important part. It is hard to score points if you don't get targets. He'll have a few 5-60-1 games, but a lot of 3-40-0 games, too. Just not enough targets to be worth a TE3 price when guys who will get 90+ targets were available much, much, much later.

Meh....acceptable for a TE line, and likely one of his lower stat games this year.
Lets say that it is in fact his lowest yardage output - and he plays a full 16 games. If both are true, he's a lock for 1,000 yards this year. Only 2 TEs did that last year.

You are actually missing my main point which is that Kelce will be lucky to break 100 targets. He was overvalued before the draft, so that busted play just gave you guys an out. The busted play is merely a secondary point to the main point. If you want to focus on that, go for it, but that's not the important part. It is hard to score points if you don't get targets. He'll have a few 5-60-1 games, but a lot of 3-40-0 games, too. Just not enough targets to be worth a TE3 price when guys who will get 90+ targets were available much, much, much later.
I understand your point. Unfortunately, that is these threads and people take any discussion as a slight. He is a solid TE, will likely finish as TE2 or in a tier of a few guys under the Gronk tier. That doesn't mean that he isn't a great TE, but I agree that busted coverage plays won't happen every game and might not happen again. I think after week 1, Kelce is now going to get a lot more attention, so I think busted coverage (same as Gronk, although he probably gets a target there anyway, so that TD wasn't unlikely for him) will be even more rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh....acceptable for a TE line,
A regular TE or a top 5 TE???
any TE. Are you really expecting him to score a TD every week? That's a minimum of 17 for the year, which is not sustainable. If you were told he would average 1 TD per week, what would you have said? Well, that's what he's averaging now. There will be more games like this, which has to be acceptable.

I was troubled by the lack of targets in the 1st half last night but the bigger picture looks good for Kelce to me.

In a game where the Chiefs had 4 turnovers, went 0-7 on 3rd downs, lost an offensive possession to a defensive TD, A. Smith and A. Reid did not have good nights, and they played a very good defense Kelce was still the leading receiver on the team and didnt kill you last night in PPR.

The targets issue is one to keep an eye on but as was pointed out already in this thread, Gates was the #2 TE last year with just 6 targets a game. People love to talk about justifying draft position after the fact but this is not a dissertation and draft position is irrelevant once the season starts. Kelce owners need fantasy points from him and as it stands right now I still like his chances of producing as many or more FF points than any TE not named Gronk.

In my league he scored 28 points week 1. I won by I think 20. Assuming he doesn't cost me a game this week, I'm still happy with his acquisition cost.

VaTerp said:
The targets issue is one to keep an eye on but as was pointed out already in this thread, Gates was the #2 TE last year with just 6 targets a game.
How did he do it? 12 TDs. Would love to see the list of guys to grab 12 TDs on less than 100 targets. I expect that list is less than or equal to 5 individual seasons. But it helps when your QB is Rivers, who has thrown for over 30 TDs on many occasions (he's averaged 30 TDs the past 7 years). Alex Smith has cracked 20 once (23).

As someone else said, Kelce is an underutilized stud.

VaTerp said:
The targets issue is one to keep an eye on but as was pointed out already in this thread, Gates was the #2 TE last year with just 6 targets a game.
How did he do it? 12 TDs. Would love to see the list of guys to grab 12 TDs on less than 100 targets. I expect that list is less than or equal to 5 individual seasons. But it helps when your QB is Rivers, who has thrown for over 30 TDs on many occasions (he's averaged 30 TDs the past 7 years). Alex Smith has cracked 20 once (23).

As someone else said, Kelce is an underutilized stud.
Just in the last 6 seasons (TEs bolded) as targets weren't tallied prior to that....

Julius Thomas '14

Antonio Gates '14

Vernon Davis '13

Julius Thomas '13

James Jones '12

Jordy Nelson '11

V Shank '09

Lower the bar to 10 TDs and you get....

Torrey Smith '14

J Catch '13

Marvin Jones '13

Rob Gronk '12

L Robinson '11

Antonio Gates '10

Gronk '10

M Lewis '10

Mike Wallace '10

It happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
VaTerp said:
In a game where the Chiefs had 4 turnovers, went 0-7 on 3rd downs, lost an offensive possession to a defensive TD, A. Smith and A. Reid did not have good nights, and they played a very good defense Kelce was still the leading receiver on the team and didnt kill you last night in PPR.
This. They played a Top 5-ish D with probably the best pass rush in the NFL. Smith was pressured all night. Kelce led all Chiefs in receiving yards last night.

FF Ninja said:

Man, I haven't seen this much excitement generated due to a busted play since Kenny Britt week 2 2011. You remove that busted coverage (1/42/1) and you're looking at a totally different stat line.

I would trade him immediately if I owned him. Alex Smith threw the ball 33 times - ahead of last year's pace and actually on pace for a career high of 528 passing attempts. Kelce only got 6 targets - which is exactly what I expected weekly. With Maclin getting 9 targets, maybe 6 was too high of a projection. Either way, those six targets will typically translate to 4/52/0. Enjoy the big week 1, but realize what it is - an aberration. He's not going to get much more than 6 targets each week and he certainly won't be catching 100% of them or being left wide open for long TDs.

I know it is unpopular to be the wet blanket after a big week, but realize there were some extenuating circumstances that led to his stat line. He's a great talent in an average to below average situation - not very many targets and at least 33% of them are going to the RBs.
100% catch success rate in a game that was out of hand by half time and we're supposed to be disappointed with only 6 targets? How do you know he'll not get much more targets than that, don't you think it will be game dependent? Wish I had your crystal ball to know what targets a player will receive. Regardless of your odd arguments, he's a beast, a fine blocker and a huge red zone target. Don't know why some are so determined to be negative, something to crow about later if you happen to be right?
I don't quote old posts to boast, so no. Just bringing a contrary opinion for discussion or for a warning. As for your question on targets, the answer is simple math. I have brought it up before, but there just aren't many targets to go around in this offense. You'll be lucky to get 33 passes from Smith on average and it sure looks like Reid is intent on getting Maclin involved and you already know the RBs will get at least a third of the targets. After the RBs, there will be about 20 targets left to spread around. Maclin will get at least 7, maybe 8. That leaves about a dozen targets for the other WRs and TEs. I predict Kelce will get 6 of them. This is just not an offense that is going to produce very many targets for the TE, no matter how good he is. I still think 100 targets is a realistic projection for Kelce. I'll be very surprised if he eclipses 110 barring something unforeseen, such as a Maclin injury or historical number of passing attempts.

He's off to a good start, but it'll be very hard to be a top TE with 100 targets or less. From this point on, he's likely to underperform expectations which is why he's a great guy to trade in redraft. His value will never be higher. Preseason hype + big first week is as good as it gets.

yeah, trade immediately!!! That's not the shark move, more like the puffer fish. This guy is $$$. What a ridiculous post, "a great talent", lol. Even more so when Smith loves throwing to anyone that's not a WR, at least for TD's. Watch Kelce play, use the eye test, he is dynamic, strong, quick for a big man, passes with flying colors. I would trade for Kelce if I didn't have him already, easy top 5 barring injury.
That's exactly what guppies say when they get lucky in week 1 and someone suggests it won't continue. It's ok. You've got strength in numbers. You can laugh me out of here, but it won't help you down the line. You could maximize value right now, though, instead of killing the messenger.
A contrary opinion is just fine. I welcome it and I have no insider knowledge or know anymore than anyone else. I'm just a pleased owner in my league trying to enjoy a player predicted to bust out and it looks like he's going to. How either of us or anyone outside the Chiefs at all can know how targets per game will shake out is purely guess work. My guess is Reid will involve him at every opportunity and especially in the red zone, he's a huge target with good hands.

They can't just pass to Maclin or Charles all the time. Sure, you could "cash in" on his week one but what do you do at TE after that, unless you happen to have drafted Gronk AND Kelce. How do you know what waiver/FE TE's out there WILL produce what you're getting rid of to cash in on Kelce's "abberration" of a week one? So say you get rid, then what? Look to pick up ASJ or Eifert if they're even FA's and expect them to do what you think Kelce won't?
Nobody can predict exact numbers, but historical numbers help give an idea. I mean, there was a report that Reid limited Kelce's snaps early last year due to the microfracture surgery, but if you look at his splits, his targets (42 vs. 45) were basically identical in each half of the season despite Kelce being very productive during the first 8 games (strangely, he only scored 1 TD off those 45 targets). And looking at the past two years, there aren't going to be a ton of passes to go around and a lot of them are going to the RBs. Add to this the fact that Reid brought in the guy he himself drafted in the first round while in Philly and you have to be concerned about Kelce's chances of topping 100 targets on the year. So far Maclin has led the team in targets both games.

As to what I'd have done if I had spent a 5th round pick on Kelce and wanted to cash in? Yeah, I'd have pursued Eifert (not ASJ, tho). Perhaps his owner will think it was a fluke and would throw in an extra player for the hyped up Kelce. Personally, Eifert was the guy I targeted in every league. If not Eifert, then maybe try to get Olsen. Or try to improve at another position and use my backup (Vernon Davis, Heath Miller). I think Vernon will get around the same number of targets as Kelce this season and he's even more athletic. I'm not saying they'll score the same, but the points drop off would be more than offset by the player you got in return for Kelce if you do it right.
I still am not fully grasping how you are SO sure on the targets thing? In the 2 games so far, he took advantage in week one catching 6 of 6 targets. In the second half, they were in clock chewing mode trying to hold off a Texans comeback. Tossing to your TE who is rampaging through an opponents secondary in that scenario doesn't generally happen. Last night as has been pointed out, he suffered somewhat from 4 turnovers and losing an offensive possession after a defensive touchdown which gave the ball back to the Broncos, plus the opponent has a fierce pass rush too so there was blocking to be done.

Yes, it was a bit of a dud compared to week one but not unexpected and was against tough opponents and a game situation that really didn't favor him too much. I think we revisit mid-season and see what's what as far as targets go, to me they're far too game-dependent to be certain either way and offenses can change year to year so basing on last year isn't 100% solid either.

He is a TE. These weeks happen even with Gronk. People that think last week with all these TEs outscoring WRs will be the norm are fooling themselves.

I didn't delude myself into thinking Kelce would be a target monster in this offense, not by a long shot. 11 targets through 2 games, however, does have me concerned. I'll happily take his production to date, but there are likely tough times ahead once the catch rate normalizes.

matttyl said:
How did Gronk do week 2 last year? Oh yeah.....
Well, Gronk was still hurt for the first four weeks (his snap count doubled after Week 4), and the Pats' line was a mess.

But yes, I agree with the broader point that even the best TEs will have so-so games.

I didn't delude myself into thinking Kelce would be a target monster in this offense, not by a long shot. 11 targets through 2 games, however, does have me concerned. I'll happily take his production to date, but there are likely tough times ahead once the catch rate normalizes.
Ofcourse, that is why he was a 5th round pick.

So is Miller fake L.T. since he only uses PEDs some of the time?
PEDs? are you making this up or is this something that hasn't hit the news yet?
Did he get suspended last year or the year before 4 games for using a banned substance?

So is Miller fake L.T. since he only uses PEDs some of the time?
PEDs? are you making this up or is this something that hasn't hit the news yet?
Did he get suspended last year or the year before 4 games for using a banned substance?
I thought you said PEDs?

someone retweet that @AndyReid :wall:
Won't matter. Andy will always spend targets on 3rd string TE's & 4th string WR's.
Last week's loss stung and had to leave a mark.

Andy has a history of stubbornly putting on blinders during a game and sticking to his script.

Its been a longer stretch between games and he's heard a lot of criticism.

Some may have sunk in so here's hoping he'll figure it out and use the 'Flying Burrito' more than he did last game.

Users who are viewing this thread