What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (2 Viewers)

Bracie Smathers said:
cubbie5150 said:
andrew11 said:
someone retweet that @AndyReid :wall:
Won't matter. Andy will always spend targets on 3rd string TE's & 4th string WR's.
Last week's loss stung and had to leave a mark.

Andy has a history of stubbornly putting on blinders during a game and sticking to his script.

Its been a longer stretch between games and he's heard a lot of criticism.

Some may have sunk in so here's hoping he'll figure it out and use the 'Flying Burrito' more than he did last game.
I get having a script. I get sticking to a script. What I don't get is how Kelce is not a huge part of the script for every game.

Bracie Smathers said:
cubbie5150 said:
andrew11 said:
someone retweet that @AndyReid :wall:
Won't matter. Andy will always spend targets on 3rd string TE's & 4th string WR's.
Last week's loss stung and had to leave a mark.

Andy has a history of stubbornly putting on blinders during a game and sticking to his script.

Its been a longer stretch between games and he's heard a lot of criticism.

Some may have sunk in so here's hoping he'll figure it out and use the 'Flying Burrito' more than he did last game.
I get having a script. I get sticking to a script. What I don't get is how Kelce is not a huge part of the script for every game.
Jimmy graham agrees.

i am starting him instead of graham this week, i cant take 3 weeks of nothingness...This is like Zach miller all over again on a larger scale... drafted him to be my number 1 flex but until JG has a good game, I think ill be flexing Yeldon >_<

Last edited by a moderator:
So is Miller fake L.T. since he only uses PEDs some of the time?
PEDs? are you making this up or is this something that hasn't hit the news yet?
Did he get suspended last year or the year before 4 games for using a banned substance?
I thought you said PEDs?
Is it against the FBG rules to say a guy uses Steroids? I'm sure Von Miller doesn't use steroids because:

1. he says he doesn't.

2. we don't know exactly what drugs he was trying to hide the time he was caught cheating the drug test.

I like watching super-humans play football, so I don't care what kind of drugs they use to run a 4.5 with 260+ pounds of pure muscle like Von Miller.

I need 25 points from this guy tonight.
You just need him to catch all 6 of his targets, and hope at least a couple are in the RZ. They won't throw to him more than that. :grumble:
Which is exactly why I'm not too confident. My guess is he'll end up with 18 points after they don't target him the entire 1st half and they finally start after they're down 20+ points in the 3rd quarter.

I need 25 points from this guy tonight.
You just need him to catch all 6 of his targets, and hope at least a couple are in the RZ. They won't throw to him more than that. :grumble:
Which is exactly why I'm not too confident. My guess is he'll end up with 18 points after they don't target him the entire 1st half and they finally start after they're down 20+ points in the 3rd quarter.
i need 18. I have a bad feeling well all regret not selling high on him after week 1. Smith is horrible

Would they ever try a backup QB just to see? I mean if ever there was a guy who kinda is what he is at this point and it aint great its Alex Smith.

BobbyLayne said:
Win locked up. In the overall standings I'm up 10.62. I have Kelce, the guy in 2nd place has Maclin. We'll see.
Way to lock it up early.
WW priority #11 v #12, thanks for the sweat.Targets are there. That was a weird setup on the delay screen around the 10, would have walked in if he caught it. He's unlikely to get the 120-140 targets you might see with a Gronk, Olsen or Bennett but if he gets in the 105-110 range he is very efficient in his production.

Career high 10 targets last night. No complaints from me either, but I wish we could count on more than 6 targets/game on the regular.

on pace for 1,300 yards and 8 TDs.
Should see some regression, no? I would think the TDs (which are variable) are achievable and he might even surpass it. But I doubt he maintains that pace for yardage.

872 a year ago, anything above 1K seems like a bonus.

87 targets a year ago. I'm thinking this year will be around 100-110.

ETA: OK, I don't think he's on pace for 8 TDs.

two divided by three times sixteen... :)

What I liked last night was that they first, understandably, had him running much shorter routes when protection was a mess, but they were a lot of quick hitches in the box or short crossing routes that didn't allow him to really use his speed. Later on, they started setting him up off the line and had him still running short routes to account for the pass rush, but instead had him going quickly into the flat or on slants where he was able to get some YAC.

Injury to RB Jamal Charles might impact KC TE Travis Kelce.

The Kansas City offense wasn't a juggernaut before Charles went down but this is what happened after his injury.

----------------

.Evan Silva@evansilva 1h1 hour ago

After Jamaal Charles ACL tear, #Chiefs final six drives were

- blocked field goal,

- punt,

- punt,

- punt,

- punt,

- missed field goal. Blew 17-3 lead

---------------

Doesn't exactly bode well for TE Travis Kelce's outlook going forward especially since the passing TDs are going to WRs now.

The Kansas City offense wasn't a juggernaut before Charles went down but this is what happened after his injury.

----------------

- blocked field goal,

- punt,

- punt,

- punt,

- punt,

---------------

Doesn't exactly bode well for TE Travis Kelce's outlook going forward especially since the passing TDs are going to WRs now.
Actually you would think the Chiefs would want to utilize Kelce even more now given the significant impact Charles' injury has on the offense.

But since Reid has yet to figure out using Kelce is actually a good thing I doubt anything will change.

packersfan said:
Bracie Smathers said:

----------------

- blocked field goal,

- punt,

- punt,

- punt,

- punt,

---------------

Actually you would think the Chiefs would want to utilize Kelce even more now given the significant impact Charles' injury has on the offense.

But since Reid has yet to figure out using Kelce is actually a good thing I doubt anything will change.
That's the thing. Reid, for all that he is, just isn't one of those coaches that squeezes the best out of his best players. If he did, Jamaal Charles would be Marshall Faulk in terms of FF production. So now, opponents have one less thing to worry about.

Will it mean Reid is forced to look at Kelce more? Could be but I think he prefers Maclin. This could make for a very inconsistent Kelce going forward.

A firend of mine has West and Davis along with Kelce and he said yesterday "Woo Hoo! I got the entire KC offense now."

I replied, "Congrats. You now have 3 roster spots eating up the points you were getting from one." That, in a nutshell, is how I see this playing out.

packersfan said:
Bracie Smathers said:

----------------

- blocked field goal,

- punt,

- punt,

- punt,

- punt,

---------------

That's the thing. Reid, for all that he is, just isn't one of those coaches that squeezes the best out of his best players. If he did, Jamaal Charles would be Marshall Faulk in terms of FF production. So now, opponents have one less thing to worry about.

Will it mean Reid is forced to look at Kelce more? Could be but I think he prefers Maclin. This could make for a very inconsistent Kelce going forward.
I've stopped believing Kelce's full potential will ever be realized in this offense. I think he's an elite talent who will have some elite games like Week 1 and will likely finish in the Top 5 among TEs overall but have some stinkers like yesterday. Reid just appears utterly clueless how about to best use Kelce and make the offense better. I see no reason to think anything is going to change now.

6 targets yesterday, which is pretty much his norm: 6, 5, 10, 7, 6

3-35-0 was his low point for the season but it was still TE16 - didn't help, but likely didn't kill you

On pace for 109 targets and 77-1050-6.4

I agree with packersfan - elite talent, but maybe just below elite production

I think this forces reid to find ways to get one of his few playmakers the ball. davis is solid, but not JC. I'd be shocked if his targets don't increase to average around 10. problem is no nfl D coordinator is concerned about smith going deep.

also guessing DCs will continue to stack the box like JC was playing, take davis out, and make smith chuck it. don't know their run/pass splits for the season, but I'd be shocked if they're not forced to pass a lot more.

I think this forces reid to find ways to get one of his few playmakers the ball. davis is solid, but not JC. I'd be shocked if his targets don't increase to average around 10. problem is no nfl D coordinator is concerned about smith going deep.

also guessing DCs will continue to stack the box like JC was playing, take davis out, and make smith chuck it. don't know their run/pass splits for the season, but I'd be shocked if they're not forced to pass a lot more.
All of that is pure common sense but we're nearly a season and a half into things for Kelce under Reid and he has yet to even come close to completely embracing common sense about Kelce.

Nothing in the first half, but lots of action when down a couple scores in the 2nd half. I'm obviously o.k. w/ the result if not the usage. I don't understand not utilizing the best offensive weapon left on your team (well, it's probably 1a/1b situation between Kelce & Maclin) until the 2nd half.

Rotoworld:

Travis Kelce secured 5-of-6 targets for 73 yards in the Chiefs' Week 7 win over the Steelers.

Kelce spent much of this game on the line helping LT Eric Fisher block the Steelers' pass rushers, but showed his trademark big-play ability when he got involved in the passing game. He gained 26 yards deep down the middle on a leaping catch in the second half. Kelce's production can frustrate because he has so much talent and isn't targeted like Gronk, but he's an every-week fantasy TE1. The Chiefs face the Lions' weak pass defense next.

Oct 25 - 4:13 PM

meh... whomever called it earlier (right after opening day w/ the big game) that the combo of reid and capt. checkdown would not figure out how to properly utilize kelce's talents got this one right so far.

can't complain about the yardage, but he's allergic to the endzone.

meh... whomever called it earlier (right after opening day w/ the big game) that the combo of reid and capt. checkdown would not figure out how to properly utilize kelce's talents got this one right so far.

Not saying that was me. I am sure there were several, but I said all off season that a coach that can't get the most out of Charles will never get the most out of Kelce. He just doesn't have that mindset to let stars shine.

Not saying that was me. I am sure there were several, but I said all off season that a coach that can't get the most out of Charles will never get the most out of Kelce. He just doesn't have that mindset to let stars shine.
We could have said the same thing for Bill Belichick for years. His method was to spread the ball around which depressed the future negotiating position of his offensive players.

1 catch & (I think) 1 target in the 2nd half today. Chiefs won, so I guess not using Kelce works just fine for them.
Last week he had 0 targets in the first half so in 30 minutes the last two weeks he's had one target. Absolutely astonishing that Reid can't see the problem with that.

Who are Kelce owners targeting for his bye? I'm in a 16-team league, so not much out there. Best was Ebron, but he has the same bye week.

I'm looking at Clive Walford. I generally don't like rookie TEs, but Raiders seem to like him, his numbers are trending up, and Pittsburgh is a pretty good match-up for TEs.

Link

• Travis Kelce has run the second most routes of all tight ends, but has been target on 19.3 percent of them, which ranks 12th.
  • Kelce averages 7.6 yards after the catch, the highest mark of any receiver or tight end with at least 20 receptions on the season.

Users who are viewing this thread