What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (3 Viewers)

Re: rolling with Cousins vs. Philly.

I think it falls into the camp if your regular QB is out and you need a fill in, he's worth it vs. other fill in (like poster talking about Yates above).

However, I wouldn't bench a regular starter like Rodgers for him.

Vs. Philly could be potentially great or average but probably not horrible. Two sides:

1. Home vs. Away -- Kirk's home splits are way superior to away. I could see the Redskins competing in the game and possibly even winning it, while Cousins only throws for one score. (e.g. imagine a 17-14 type game). Look at his game log game by game...and you will see these types of 1 TD performances thrown in there.

2. On the other hand there are factors that could result in his scoring lots: a.) healthy Jackson and Reed have been associated with his rising numbers, and Jackson (who Philly fans say lack motivation) will be motivated, b.) Philly injured in the secondary, c.) Washington may need to keep slinging it if Philly's offense scores regularly.

So I can see it either way. I'd say good fill in if you need it, but don't go benching your regular starter.

Perspective from a Redskins fan/homer...
His home/away splits are staggering and that makes me pause. However, Cuz is really seeing the field well. If there's an open receiver, he's finding him. I believe I heard on the radio that he's leading the league in completion percentage. Couple that with a healthy receiving corp, you might just have a week 16 starter here.I don't have a lot of options anyways with Luck holding me hostage.

I think it falls into the camp if your regular QB is out and you need a fill in, he's worth it vs. other fill in (like poster talking about Yates above).

Vs. Philly could be potentially great or average but probably not horrible. Two sides:

1. Home vs. Away -- Kirk's home splits are way superior to away. I could see the Redskins competing in the game and possibly even winning it, while Cousins only throws for one score. (e.g. imagine a 17-14 type game). Look at his game log game by game...and you will see these types of 1 TD performances thrown in there.

2. On the other hand there are factors that could result in his scoring lots: a.) healthy Jackson and Reed have been associated with his rising numbers, and Jackson (who Philly fans say lack motivation) will be motivated, b.) Philly injured in the secondary, c.) Washington may need to keep slinging it if Philly's offense scores regularly.

So I can see it either way. I'd say good fill in if you need it, but don't go benching your regular starter.

Rodgers plays on the road against Arizona and has not been good.

I can see benching Rodgers for almost anyone. If you are in your SB, he wont win anyone theirs.

187 yards and 1 TDs and 1 pick. Because his WRs suck and so does his run game and he barely throws for TDs anymore and his yardage is mediocre at best.

Cousins will do better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have Tyrod or Cousins. i think i will be basing it a lot on if Rowe and Maxwell are both out. if so definite play, if not i have to think about it some more

Rodgers plays on the road against Arizona and has not been good.

I can see benching Rodgers for almost anyone. If you are in your SB, he wont win anyone theirs.

187 yards and 1 TDs and 1 pick. Because his WRs suck and so does his run game and he barely throws for TDs anymore and his yardage is mediocre at best.

Cousins will do better than that.
I'm in the same boat (assuming I am able to get Cousins tomorrow night... I have Rodgers).

Another thing to consider is Philly's fast tempo offense. Their TOP is usually very low which means WAS should have the ball plenty. The more TOP, the more opportunity to score fantasy points. If I land Cousins, right now I'm 70/30 leaning his way over Rodgers.

Anyone rolling with cousins tonight over someone like, ahem, Rodgers?!? :unsure:

Rodgers could only muster up 12 points for me last week @ oakland and even though AZ is missing Honey Badger, that defense is much better than OAK.

Eagles have given up 30 passing TD's so far -- third worst in the league. I like Cousin's chances here -- Also, those away games included Panthers, NE and Jets.

As of right now I have him in over Brady. With Edelman and Amendola out and the Jets D, I think it will be a tough one for Brady. Not saying I won't change it at the last minute though.

As of right now I have him in over Brady. With Edelman and Amendola out and the Jets D, I think it will be a tough one for Brady. Not saying I won't change it at the last minute though.
In the exact same situation...may do the same (shrug)

I think I would roll with Brady over Cousins.

I've also got AZ defense so I think I'm just going to plug in Cousins and hope my defense can hold Rodgers to last week's Oakland game type performance.

In the exact same situation...may do the same (shrug)
Man, that's some cajones -- My decision is only over Tyrod -- not sure if I'd sit Brady
Brady will certainly have to throw but it feels like his upside is more limited without all his weapons against a good Jets D. I'm a big underdog so need to take a risk and I like Cousins upside against a lousy PHI secondary.

Yes I'm probably overthinking this. ?

I'm about 90% sure I'm rolling Brady over Cousins. I like the upside of Cousins but I'll feel sick if I get cute like that in the SB and Brady goes off. If Cousins outscores Brady then so be it.

OK, I thin I'm now at 99% Brady....still 1% doubt though.

I'm about 90% sure I'm rolling Brady over Cousins. I like the upside of Cousins but I'll feel sick if I get cute like that in the SB and Brady goes off. If Cousins outscores Brady then so be it.

OK, I thin I'm now at 99% Brady....still 1% doubt though.
go with the 1%...Brady will struggle with top 2 WRs out and a tough motivated jets D....this as a pats fan

Brady would be easy choice if Amendola or Edelman were playing.
This. Brady has been a low end #1 at best (more like high #2) in 5 of the last 7 weeks since his receivers have been injured. Need much better than that if I'm going to keep up with my red hot opponent.

Wow, whoever had the presence of mind to start Cousins during FFL playoff time was just rewarded.

No one could have seen that coming Week 1...
I was forced to once Dalton went down. Talk about a Christmas present.
Same here. I certainly wasn't planning to roll out Cousins in the playoffs, but glad I did. I'll probably start him week 16 too, even though it's an away game.
The gift that keeps on giving. :pickle:

Wow, whoever had the presence of mind to start Cousins during FFL playoff time was just rewarded.

No one could have seen that coming Week 1...
I was forced to once Dalton went down. Talk about a Christmas present.
Same here. I certainly wasn't planning to roll out Cousins in the playoffs, but glad I did. I'll probably start him week 16 too, even though it's an away game.
The gift that keeps on giving. :pickle:
:suds:

Impressed by the growth he's shown this year.
Another example of how there are QBs that can succeed in the NFL if given a real chance. Brian Billick said the guy is the 'definition of a backup'. That is what is wrong with the NFL. If you aren't a QB drafted in the 1st or 2nd rd, you are real lucky if you ever get a real chance. Matt McGloin is one of those guys. Stuck on a crappy team, he was doomed. Raiders are far better now. If Carr gets hurt, he will get a real chance to show what he can do.

Last year 88 guys suited up for the Pro Bowl after 28 bowed out. Would like to see Cousins get in as an alternate, he's had a heckuva year.

3,990, 26-11, 69.5%

He's a lot better than I gave him credit for. Quick decisions, can make all the throws. I still think he really struggles if his first read isn't there and he stares down receivers, but he's getting better all the way around. Congrats to those who road him to the SB

I think his outlook for fantasy purposes looks pretty decent as long as he gets to keep throwing to guys like Djax, Reed, and Garcon. I don't think he is good enough to overcome injuries to key targets, but as long as he has those guys he should score pretty well.

I started Cousins over Rodgers in both of my high stakes leagues in week 16. Obviously glad I did.

If Cousins puts up 300+ and 3 TD's again he'll go into the off season with ridiculous numbers for the year, most coming in the second half of the season. He'll be a hot name going into next year, and he's going to get paid regardless. Dynasty owners must be thrilled.

Got this guy as a dynasty throw-in in a week 3 deal this year. I intended to drop him, if not immediately then within a few weeks, but I always felt he was just a little bit better than what was on the waiver wire. And now I have a top 10 QB who should improve even more.

Hardly a Redskin fan, but it's a good story to see this guy nail down the starting QB role in Washington.

Users who are viewing this thread