What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (4 Viewers)

mr roboto said:
I will say this - he seems to not be able to improvise or play ‘agressive’ at all. Does he overthink stuff or just freeze under pressure?

This drove Gruden and Redskins WRs crazy. He wouldn't even take shots in practice, he'd check down or take the first read. He's obsessive about playing within the system. It made him a good trigger man/puppet on the field for an X's and O's genius scheming guys open every play like McVay. Doesn't work so well in a vanilla offense like Gruden's or the one he's in now where he's expected to make the magic. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This drove Gruden and Redskins WRs crazy. He wouldn't even take shots in practice, he'd check down or take the first read. He's obsessive about playing within the system. It made him a good trigger man/puppet on the field for an X's and O's genius scheming guys open every play like McVay. Doesn't work so well in a vanilla offense like Gruden's or the one he's in now where he's expected to make the magic. 
Thanks. This makes sense of all the data points (he’s very talented, works hard, team player, accurate and yet seems too small for the moment). 

I think the answer is, now that Alex Smith and Sam Bradford are likely out of the league, he takes over as the 16th-best QB. Which he can certainly make a career of.

hispeedthinmint said:
I bet he can make things happen with a decent O-Line. Everyone is not Manning or Brees or Marino etc...
I agree with this. Quite simply Kirk Cousins is a tier 2/3 QB with tier 1 expectations for some reason. He's always been a "pretty decent" QB... If the rest of your team is great you can win with this guy, but I never saw the massive upgrade from Case Keenum that the national media does.

I agree with this. Quite simply Kirk Cousins is a tier 2/3 QB with tier 1 expectations for some reason. He's always been a "pretty decent" QB... If the rest of your team is great you can win with this guy, but I never saw the massive upgrade from Case Keenum that the national media does.
"for some reason"? The reason is he demanded and got the biggest contract in NFL history. 

"for some reason"? The reason is he demanded and got the biggest contract in NFL history. 
Can't blame Cousins for that though. It's a buyer beware world.

I'm sure we'll see something similar with Lev Bell in 2019. Somebody will pay  him a ton of money and regret every minute of it come Fall.

Cousin's total contact is not in the top 10 right now. The biggest right now is Matt Ryan at $150M with $94.5M guaranteed. Cousins has more guaranteed per year but Ryan (and Rodgers) will almost certainly earn more than he does per year. And all of the next decent starting QBs to negotiate a contract will earn more. (Interestingly, there are no decent starting QBs up for free agency in 2019. Wilson, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Goff, Wentz coming up in 2020.)

Cousin's total contact is not in the top 10 right now. The biggest right now is Matt Ryan at $150M with $94.5M guaranteed. Cousins has more guaranteed per year but Ryan (and Rodgers) will almost certainly earn more than he does per year. And all of the next decent starting QBs to negotiate a contract will earn more. (Interestingly, there are no decent starting QBs up for free agency in 2019. Wilson, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Goff, Wentz coming up in 2020.)
Total contract, correct. K Cousin is still the third highest in $$$ per year. It is the only multi year guaranteed contract.

I think K Cousin's 28 million a year will be matched by upper tier QB's, not decent starters.

I was watching a pregame show this past Sunday and they highlighted that very thing on a number of plays this year. WRs were either open down the field or streaking matched up in single coverage and Cousins would check down. 

DallasDMac said:
No, wins and losses are. No one other than FF folks care what his stats looked like. They saw him come up small against good teams, just like he did in Washington.
So we're pulling the plug on Goff too I take it?  Since he came up small vs the Bears I mean.

A good comp. He'll probably get at least what Cousins got.
I think there is no way Foles gets that much. Cousins was overpaid to save a franchise, they let 3 qbs walk to sign Cousins. Foles will get signed as a stopgap while a team reaches on a project. 

I think there is no way Foles gets that much. Cousins was overpaid to save a franchise, they let 3 qbs walk to sign Cousins. Foles will get signed as a stopgap while a team reaches on a project. 
Alex Smith got $23.5M/year to come to Washington. Foles is five years younger and at least as good. Heck, it may be Washington that pays Foles that much. 

So we're comparing one game to several seasons worth of data?
Over the last four years he completed 2/3 of his passes and had a 4.8% TD rate vs 2.0% INT rate -- on ~2300 dropbacks.

That's very good.  A healthy organization with a good team and intelligent play-calling can win with that.

I get that his contract seems high today, but two years from now it'll be blown out of the water.

Over the last four years he completed 2/3 of his passes and had a 4.8% TD rate vs 2.0% INT rate -- on ~2300 dropbacks.

That's very good.  A healthy organization with a good team and intelligent play-calling can win with that.

I get that his contract seems high today, but two years from now it'll be blown out of the water.
Likely true. Further driving ticket prices out of reach for the average fan.

Likely true. Further driving ticket prices out of reach for the average fan.
The NFL is a money-printing machine and it's entirely appropriate that the players who make it happen get some of the benefit from it. Certainly they deserve it more than the owners do.

The sad thing is with the sharp rise in QB pay is that good players do not get paid.

QBs like Cousins, Stafford, Flacco,Smith, are all getting 25 million a season for average QB play.   No other position pays a premium for average performance. In fact most highly paid player who don`t play at a high level are released...some even released that are playing well.

Every dollar these type of QBs are getting paid over their performance level comes out of another player on the teams pocket.  If an average qB is eating up cap space then the team has to have a number of players who are making the minimum.

Edit - never mind you aren’t worth the time. 
:lmao:

I’m “not worth the time” = I’m too lazy to explain my smarmy comment because it’s an indefensible position that the work force should be entitled to more compensation than the owners of the organization that collectively bargains with its labor force. 

Do you often submit multiple posts to topics that aren’t worth the time? Seems like a silly way to spend the day.

Have an awesome day, Roboto. 

Do owners risk permanent injury and take years off their expected life span? No, so players absolutely deserve these big contracts. They basically know the majority of them will be crippled, impaired, or die young. Its absolutely sacrificing their long term health. 

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero reports the Vikings are "challenging Kirk Cousins in practice with a lot of looks defenses showed last year."

It would seem to be unideal that this is the second-year theme for a quarterback who received a fully guaranteed, $84 million deal, but so was the nature of Cousins' 2018. Offensive line woes played a huge part, of course. With the Vikings transitioning to a more run-heavy attack, Cousins is set up as a QB2 for 2019 despite his elite weapons.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 1:54 PM ET

crazy game - I know they wanted to focus on the run but this is over the top!  Im not taking that as a good sign for Kirk.....

crazy game - I know they wanted to focus on the run but this is over the top!  Im not taking that as a good sign for Kirk.....
It was over as soon as it started, they just killed clock.

He looked good imo.

Key takeaways and stats to know from Week 2

Excerpt:

KIRK COUSINS AND MITCH TRUBISKY ARE STRUGGLING OUT OF THE GATE

Both Kirk Cousins and Mitchell Trubisky have been under fire after underwhelming 2018 seasons and needed to have a great start to 2019. But so far, neither has been able to improve their public perception.

Through two weeks, Cousins owns the NFL’s lowest passing grade (36.7) and has averaged 3.25 seconds to throw, which is by far the highest rate in the league. Things have not gone at all well for him when he’s held onto the ball, however, as he’s managed to record a 67.4 passer rating, three turnover-worthy plays and an uncatchable-throw rate of 44.4% when he’s taken longer than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread