What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (10 Viewers)

Cousins makes for a great spot start next week. I mean McCown and Flynn have thrown for what 8 TDs against Dallas the last 2 weeks?
He really does make a good fantasy starter against Dallas. Flynn made them look helpless in the second half yesterday. And earlier this season Flynn was so bad for the Raiders that they:

1. lost to the Redskins, who stink

and

2. cut Flynn after the game

Not bad? He had what RG3 would call a career

day!
You're trying too hard.
381/3 Griffin has never passed for that many yards in a game. 3TD passes have only been surpassed by Griffin twice in his career.Yeah, I'd say Griffin would call that a career day. And the 4 letter network would gush over him all week/ year about it.
You're leaving out rushing yards and turnovers of course. I like Cousins fine - own him in two leagues and would love for the Jets to trade for him if they didn't have to overpay - but not sure what your agenda is here.

Are you trying to justify Luck over Griffin? - I'm sure 98% of the people out there would say the Colts made the right call.

Weird.

day!
You're trying too hard.
381/3 Griffin has never passed for that many yards in a game. 3TD passes have only been surpassed by Griffin twice in his career.Yeah, I'd say Griffin would call that a career day. And the 4 letter network would gush over him all week/ year about it.
Fantasy wise, Cousins had a good day. In NFL terms, he didn't . He cost them the game. Cousins had 3 turnovers, which led to 17 Atl points. The other Washington turnovers didn't (IIRC) lead to any Atl points.

Furthermore, one of the knocks on RGIII this season was that his stats came in "garbage time."

Virtually all of Cousins' numbers came after/when the 'skins were down by 2 scores, or in the last 3 minutes when they were down by 7 and needed to drive 80 yards to try to tie/win the game.

Aside from the final drive, when Atl was in prevent mode, Cousins had exactly 117 passing yards and 0 TDs when the 'skins were down by less than 2 scores.

Why do I have to have an agenda? I'm expressing my thoughts on an open forum. Maybe this is new to you?

I feel like Cousins is the better long-term option at QB. That is my weird agenda, I guess.

day!
You're trying too hard.
Fantasy wise, Cousins had a good day. In NFL terms, he didn't . He cost them the game. Cousins had 3 turnovers, which led to 17 Atl points. The other Washington turnovers didn't (IIRC) lead to any Atl points.Furthermore, one of the knocks on RGIII this season was that his stats came in "garbage time."

Virtually all of Cousins' numbers came after/when the 'skins were down by

2 scores, or in the last 3 minutes when they were down by 7 and needed to drive 80 yards to try to tie/win the game.

Aside from the final drive, when Atl was in prevent mode, Cousins had

exactly 117 passing yards and 0 TDs when the 'skins were down by less than 2 scores.
As I recall, Morris fumbled inside the 20 and Moss fumbled a punt which led to points immediately.

RBM said:
If I'm a Skins fan, I think I would prefer a Shanahan/Cousins combo to a new coach/Griffin combo.
The Redskins biggest problem has been sloppy undisplined football, not to mention god awful special teams and defense and questionable offensive playcalling. The biggest issues with this team are not qb related its coaching.

pizzatyme said:
Bayhawks said:
pizzatyme said:
Dr. Octopus said:
pizzatyme said:

day!
You're trying too hard.
Fantasy wise, Cousins had a good day. In NFL terms, he didn't . He cost them the game. Cousins had 3 turnovers, which led to 17 Atl points. The other Washington turnovers didn't (IIRC) lead to any Atl points.Furthermore, one of the knocks on RGIII this season was that his stats came in "garbage time."

2 scores, or in the last 3 minutes when they were down by 7 and needed to drive 80 yards to try to tie/win the game.

exactly 117 passing yards and 0 TDs when the 'skins were down by less than 2 scores.
As I recall, Morris fumbled inside the 20 and Moss fumbled a punt which led to points immediately.
You claim not to have an agenda, but ignore all the facts that don't support your "non-existent" agenda. Moss' muffed punt did lead to a FG, and Morris did fumble inside the 20, but even if you assume a 'skins TD, that's 10 points. Cousins' inability to stop giving the ball to the other team gave 17 points to Atl. So, Cousins gave the Falcons 7 more points than his teammates cost the 'skins. They lost by 1. Cousins cost them the game, and he was unable to do anything except when the 'skins were down big or were playing against a prevent defense.

RBM said:
If I'm a Skins fan, I think I would prefer a Shanahan/Cousins combo to a new coach/Griffin combo.
The Redskins biggest problem has been sloppy undisplined football, not to mention god awful special teams and defense and questionable offensive playcalling. The biggest issues with this team are not qb related its coaching.
You're right, if their coaching can even be called "coaching". They're usually outplayed in the second half of games, they usually play sloppy football, they frequently look unprepared, they have not played one full game of football yet this year.

I suppose you could blame the personnel, but the head coach picks the personnel and almost every player on the team is one he chose.

Last edited by a moderator:
pizzatyme said:
Bayhawks said:
pizzatyme said:
Dr. Octopus said:
pizzatyme said:

day!
You're trying too hard.

You claim not to have an agenda, but ignore all the facts that don't support your "non-existent" agenda. Moss' muffed punt did lead to a FG, and Morris did fumble inside the 20, but even if you assume a 'skins TD, that's 10 points. Cousins' inability to stop giving the ball to the other team gave 17 points to Atl. So, Cousins gave the Falcons 7 more points than his teammates cost the 'skins. They lost by 1. Cousins cost them the game, and he was unable to do anything except when the 'skins were down big or were playing against a prevent defense.
I stated facts. Not sure how I'm ignoring anything. Yes, Cousins "cost" the Skins 17 points. They lost by 1 because the coach inexcusably went for 2 when they had scored and had momentum going into overtime.

And I bolded your statement above because it is just silly! The Redskins were in the game the whole way. They led at the half and were down no more than 7 after midway through the 2nd Quarter.

pizzatyme said:
Bayhawks said:
pizzatyme said:
Dr. Octopus said:
pizzatyme said:

day!
You're trying too hard.

I stated facts. Not sure how I'm ignoring anything. Yes, Cousins "cost" the Skins 17 points. They lost by 1 because the coach inexcusably went for 2 when they had scored and had momentum going into overtime.

And I bolded your statement above because it is just silly! The Redskins were in the game the whole way. They led at the half and were down no more than 7 after midway through the 2nd Quarter.
You ignored the fact that Cousins cost them the game. He gave Atl 17 points. They lost by 1 point. Therefore if he had not given them 17 points, they win. So, basically, if he can manage to throw 1 less pick, or fumble the ball 1 fewer time, the Redskisn win. That is one fact that you are ignoring.

As for the bolded statement, that's another fact you are ignoring. Re-watch the game. With the exception of the final drive, when the Falcons (like too many NFL teams) were playing a soft, prevent defense, Cousins wasn't productive when the Redskins were "in the game." When they were within 1 score/up, he did very little. It's a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, you saying Cousins cost them the game is like me saying Moss cost them the game. If Moss doesn't fumble the punt and the Skins don't give up 3 points, then they theoretically would have won the game.

It's a silly argument. Cousins had them in the game. If you choose not to accept that, then do be it. I'm done arguing with you about it. I'll let you have the final word if you'd like.

Look, you saying Cousins cost them the game is like me saying Moss cost them the game. If Moss doesn't fumble the punt and the Skins don't give up 3 points, then they theoretically would have won the game.

It's a silly argument. Cousins had them in the game. If you choose not to accept that, then do be it. I'm done arguing with you about it. I'll let you have the final word if you'd like.
I'd agree with you saying Moss' fumble cost them the game, as well. That's a logical conclusion

What isn't logical is saying Cousins ALMOST leading the 'skins to a win over a 2-win team, while ignoring the facts that Cousins was only able to put up stats when the Falcons were up by 2 scores or in a prevent defense, he contributed multiple turnovers (costing them the game), and he did this against a team who had very little tape of him to study.

Redskin beat reporter John Keim:

5. Now, onto the field. Maybe I'll change my mind after watching Kirk Cousins again in the next couple days, but he was rather ordinary Sunday. He did not play like a guy that will force other teams to surrender a high pick for him in May. He needs time and it would not be the worst thing in the world, at all, for the Redskins to bring him back as insurance for Griffin.

6. Cousins threw another interception on an inside route. Like with the two picks last week, Cousins failed to lead receiver Santana Moss; wasn't wild about the QB's footwork on the play. Maybe Moss should have caught the ball, though few I think would have. Instead he tried to turn around and it caromed off his hands. I like that Cousins owns his mistakes. But there were a few other passes that were nearly intercepted (this is where it's helpful to watch the game again to get a stronger feel for what happened. I do know on one it didn't look like Josh Morgan did a whole lot to help him out).

7. I still like that Cousins does not lock onto one receiver. He also made a nice throw on a 19-yard pass to Pierre Garcon in which right tackle Tyler Polumbus' presence prevented Cousins from stepping into the throw. Cousins has to go through so many situations before you can do more than guesswork about his future. I didn't like that Cousins failed in the fourth quarter, completing 2 of 8 passes for 18 yards. It was a chance for him to carve out a place for himself in this rivalry and he couldn't get the job done. It's not all on him, but he would have received the glory, so ...

Cousins had them in the game. What's not to like?

As for the interceptions, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck had a few their first year playing too.

Cousins had them in the game. What's not to like?

As for the interceptions, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck had a few their first year playing too.
Are you serious with this?

Sub 60% completion %, sub 6 YPA, less than 200 total yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, a 71.2 QB rating; all of this against the worst pass D in the NFL, but you are saying "Cousins had them in the game." You really think Cousins was the reason they were in the game? :loco:

To his credit, Cousins had another commendable game — by the standards of a good backup quarterback or a young passer who might be a second-tier NFL starter some day. Cousins completed 21 of 36 passes for 197 yards, one touchdown, one interception and a 71.2 quarterback rating. In 154 career attempts, Cousins has eight touchdown passes, eight interceptions and a passer rating of 80.3. In three starts and backup duty, his turnover rate is at least twice the acceptable NFL norm.
Tom Boswell

With 10 minutes left in the game Cousins is

14/33 124 0 TD 1 INT 1 fumble lost

Great call by pizzatyme here.

Yeah he's not the only moron out there though. A lot of local fans thought there was going to be some controversy in the off-season, and that isn't gonna happen. RGIII was not 100 percent, didn't put in the work, and is still very young and dumb. RGIII has all the talent in the world though and I fully expect him to be an elite NFL QB.

Kirk Cousins is an NFL backup, period. As he grows he'll be able to fill in nicely in these spots but he's not a #1, and never will be.

Yeah he's not the only moron out there though. A lot of local fans thought there was going to be some controversy in the off-season, and that isn't gonna happen. RGIII was not 100 percent, didn't put in the work, and is still very young and dumb. RGIII has all the talent in the world though and I fully expect him to be an elite NFL QB.

Kirk Cousins is an NFL backup, period. As he grows he'll be able to fill in nicely in these spots but he's not a #1, and never will be.
I think Kirk could still be more than that. But this is RG3s team so here he will be a backup. What i think this shows is that regardless of the QB in there, this team wasn't going to be successful. Now, i look forward to RG3 getting a full offseason to get better, having cap money to get some better pass pro, adding to the WR corp and improving the defense.

RG the TURD would have fared no better. He can only see 1/2 the field and every defense now knows that.

So, it's pretty obvious that the Skins are horrible and have quit.

I would definitely use this game as the measuring stick for Cousins!

So, it's pretty obvious that the Skins are horrible and have quit.

I would definitely use this game as the measuring stick for Cousins!
Don't forget the sucky weather. When your name is fatness, you must understand that we are dealing with a lower IQ.

I really hate when the media starts to believe their own BS. Honestly, sports radio guys were talking like cousins was worth 1st or a 2nd round pick. Few we're saying anything different because it would have been a non-story. They had to inflate Cousins value to create a so-called QB controversy.

Now, I feel the same way when I hear the college commentators talk about how "NFL ready" Derek Carr is.

This whole thread is fueled solely by the eagerness of owners who picked up Cousins on dynasty wires to pimp up his value for the offseason.

Cousins is not a starting calibre QB, not even for the Redskins. He is an excellent backup and will continue to be just that. In the real NFL, no one will be trading high picks to make him a franchise signal-caller. In fantasy, the only owners who might want to stash Cousins are RGIII owners in deep or 2 QB leagues.

Your player blows up and you come back to gloat . . .

or

your player stinks up the joint and you (play politician) and make excuses . . .

Welcome to the Shark Pool.

John Keim, Redskin beat reporter for many years

Kirk Cousins played a full game against the best defense he’s seen in his NFL career and the results weren’t pretty. Cousins was inaccurate on a number of throws on this wet, dreary day -- too wide on some, high on others and inside on yet some more. It was a bad all-around day for Cousins, who also threw two interceptions (one off a high pass to Santana Moss, which could have been caught). Another pick was dropped -- actually a couple more were in danger of being intercepted -- and he also lost a fumble in the red zone. Cousins showed he’s still a young, developing quarterback. There’s nothing wrong with that. But he has not shown that he’s worthy of being traded for a high pick by any means. Nor that there’s any reason to think anyone but Griffin should be the starter in 2013. Cousins has some skills that you like and others aspects he must overcome. A couple passes were dropped, but Cousins really struggled, completing 19-of-49 passes for 169 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread