What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suicide (4 Viewers)

Johnnycakes.

I am one of the more anonymous posters here. But after years I sometimes feel like I "know" some of the regulars. You are one of them.

Others here can give you much better advice, but I will add....If you have the power to bring happiness into the life of anonymous people over the Internet, you certainly have the power to bring happyiness into your own life. If you cant see that right now that is OK, but PLEASE talk to someone ASAP.

Johnny,

If you need someone to talk with (a guy who earlier in life had to manufacture reasons to still be alive "tomorrow morning," almost every morning), who had a father and a niece attempt suicide, who got through it all and is living the "life can/will get better" that several on here have mentioned, let me know. I'll actually be calling Lexington, MA home for most of August...and could always get together with you somewhere public that's casual/comfortable and just shoot the bull. You've got a couple decades on me (I'm 43), but I've at least been through some of this same stuff...and am happy to just listen without judging or naively trying to "fix" things.

As I'm sure you realize, nobody out there can "fix" what makes you have suicidal thoughts. It's not an "external" force or anything that is happening to you. The only thing that'll make it change for the better is you deciding that it's worth changing your situation. But people who haven't been there, who don't understand, can't understand why anyone would choose to check-out vs. work to change some of those other things. If that's where you're at, I'll accept you wherever you're at. Who am I to tell you how to live (or end) your life? Just know from me that, while change is hard (at any age), it CAN get better. One step at a time. Little victories, then bigger victories. Working on a strained relationship with a child. Finding more fulfillment in your current job (or finding a different job), whatever it might be. Get a bit of positive momentum rolling, and you'll be surprised where you might be in your happiness a year or two from now.

Johnnycakes,

We care about you man. We're all now a group of friends on FBG.

Putting that letter on here is a great first step toward getting better. We all need a helping hand sometimes. You don't have to be Superman. Giving your best is good enough.

Many of us have gotten better after asking for help and putting the work in. Life is worth it Johnny. You don't have to do it alone. I'm available for PM's too or my mobile.

That part about not having friends is simply not true jc. You're a part of this community and always someone I find to be an interesting read. Just because a group of us regulars (of which you are a part) talk over a message board instead of a phone doesn't mean we aren't "friends".

Hope you can get things turned around, friend.
:thumbup: I appreciate it.
I second this amigo. This board is extended family to me. JC - all of us that have some experience on this earth deal with anxieties, insecurity, self worth, "is this all there is?", family problems, etc. I'm certainly not discounting your feelings in the least. Just saying I've bounced some heavy issues off of members of this community, and they have been a big help. I'm hoping that you talk this through with a professional, and decide not to do this.

My suicide note (rough draft), probably to be executed next April

[SIZE=12pt]Let me start by saying I am now at a point where I am desperately unhappy both at home and at work. This has very little to do with anyone else but me. I am simply very unhappy. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I feel I have failed in my career… the job I have is one that lots would probably like to have, but I have absolutely no contact with any clients, no involvement with any planning that takes place, and, frankly, no challenges. I do not really know any of our clients… what their goals are, what their present needs and concerns are… nothing. Every communication I have with a client goes either through ****** ****** or *** ***********. As a result, work is boring as hell and even somewhat demeaning. I tolerate it because it pays well but most days I am absolutely bored and miserable at work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have lots to be proud of, I suppose. I graduated from Georgetown University (undergrad), passed all four parts of the CPA exam on the first sitting (back in 1983 when one had to know accounting), obtained a master of science in taxation from Bentley University (highest honors), and received a master of science in investment management from Boston University (highest honors), received my CPA designation, along with CFP mark, and CFA charter. Still, I fell very worthless because the work I do is the same work I could have done without having any of that except for the CPA certificate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]At age 64, it’s not like I can just so easily change jobs, either. I have child support obligations based on my current income level, and there is no way I would match my current income immediately if I were to switch jobs to do anything else. So I am powerless to make any change in my career and still uphold my child support obligations.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have no friends at all. Never have, really. I chalk a lot of this up to Asperser’s Syndrome, as I just have a very difficult time relating to other people. Very often I could put on a strong front and joke around and make myself appear like I was happy and doing fine, when deep down, I was dying. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Combine all this together… I feel useless, unproductive, unattractive, and very much alone. My self-esteem is, of course, very low. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The one thing that has helped me to hang on as long as I have is my son, *****, whom I love dearly. He is a boy who absolutely needs me… God only knows why. As for my other two daughters… ****** does not like me, anyhow, and has explained in detail as to why (it has much to do with my getting remarried), while ******** deals with adversity the best of any of them. I am certain ******** will miss me, but I am also fairly certain she will deal with it better than any of the rest. Logan is the one about whom I am most concerned. ***** is a primary reason why I have not taken any action to end my life before now.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Most recently, trying to buy a family home in Lexington and being turned down time and again for financing, has only served to reinforce my already deep-seated feeling of worthlessness. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]These feelings are not new. When I took out two $1 Million life insurance policies (New York Life on January 4, 2013, and Prudential on March 9, 2013), I was skeptical that I might live to the full term of each of these policies. I purchased those policies at that time because my health – both physical and mental – was particularly good at that time, but was unsure how long that status would last. If things went bad for me, I wanted an easy way out that would not leave the rest of my family in dire financial straits…. This was a large reason why I purchased those insurance policies.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]And later during 2013, I was granted a Class “A” License to carry a concealed firearm. It was never my intention to carry a concealed weapon on a daily basis. Rather, the purpose of obtaining that license was so that I could obtain a weapon with which to kill myself, quickly and as painlessly as possible. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Note that each of the insurance policies (New York Life and Prudential) has two-year suicide exclusion period, so I am hoping to live beyond March 9, 2015 so that the full $2 million may be paid to my beneficiaries.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]There is more insurance on my life that is payable to my ex-wife, ******** *. ******. There is an old late 1990’s vintage term life policy through Northwestern Mutual… this policy would have a death benefit approximating $375,000 right now. In addition, there is life insurance through my employer that names my ex-wife as beneficiary. These policies should pay regardless of circumstances of death. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In short this is THE one way I can put an end to my misery AND make sure those who depend upon my income are not left short of money. I just hope I can hold off until after March of 2015 so all the policies pay out as I had intended. [/SIZE]
Seriously, #### the kids. It's BS in my mind that you feel the need to kill yourself over ####ing financial obligations. Quit your job and do what you want to do. If you think your family is going to be thankful that you offed yourself just to leave them :moneybag: then you're sorely mistaken.

My suicide note (rough draft), probably to be executed next April

[SIZE=12pt]Let me start by saying I am now at a point where I am desperately unhappy both at home and at work. This has very little to do with anyone else but me. I am simply very unhappy. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I feel I have failed in my career… the job I have is one that lots would probably like to have, but I have absolutely no contact with any clients, no involvement with any planning that takes place, and, frankly, no challenges. I do not really know any of our clients… what their goals are, what their present needs and concerns are… nothing. Every communication I have with a client goes either through ****** ****** or *** ***********. As a result, work is boring as hell and even somewhat demeaning. I tolerate it because it pays well but most days I am absolutely bored and miserable at work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have lots to be proud of, I suppose. I graduated from Georgetown University (undergrad), passed all four parts of the CPA exam on the first sitting (back in 1983 when one had to know accounting), obtained a master of science in taxation from Bentley University (highest honors), and received a master of science in investment management from Boston University (highest honors), received my CPA designation, along with CFP mark, and CFA charter. Still, I fell very worthless because the work I do is the same work I could have done without having any of that except for the CPA certificate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]At age 64, it’s not like I can just so easily change jobs, either. I have child support obligations based on my current income level, and there is no way I would match my current income immediately if I were to switch jobs to do anything else. So I am powerless to make any change in my career and still uphold my child support obligations.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have no friends at all. Never have, really. I chalk a lot of this up to Asperser’s Syndrome, as I just have a very difficult time relating to other people. Very often I could put on a strong front and joke around and make myself appear like I was happy and doing fine, when deep down, I was dying. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Combine all this together… I feel useless, unproductive, unattractive, and very much alone. My self-esteem is, of course, very low. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The one thing that has helped me to hang on as long as I have is my son, *****, whom I love dearly. He is a boy who absolutely needs me… God only knows why. As for my other two daughters… ****** does not like me, anyhow, and has explained in detail as to why (it has much to do with my getting remarried), while ******** deals with adversity the best of any of them. I am certain ******** will miss me, but I am also fairly certain she will deal with it better than any of the rest. Logan is the one about whom I am most concerned. ***** is a primary reason why I have not taken any action to end my life before now.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Most recently, trying to buy a family home in Lexington and being turned down time and again for financing, has only served to reinforce my already deep-seated feeling of worthlessness. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]These feelings are not new. When I took out two $1 Million life insurance policies (New York Life on January 4, 2013, and Prudential on March 9, 2013), I was skeptical that I might live to the full term of each of these policies. I purchased those policies at that time because my health – both physical and mental – was particularly good at that time, but was unsure how long that status would last. If things went bad for me, I wanted an easy way out that would not leave the rest of my family in dire financial straits…. This was a large reason why I purchased those insurance policies.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]And later during 2013, I was granted a Class “A” License to carry a concealed firearm. It was never my intention to carry a concealed weapon on a daily basis. Rather, the purpose of obtaining that license was so that I could obtain a weapon with which to kill myself, quickly and as painlessly as possible. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Note that each of the insurance policies (New York Life and Prudential) has two-year suicide exclusion period, so I am hoping to live beyond March 9, 2015 so that the full $2 million may be paid to my beneficiaries.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]There is more insurance on my life that is payable to my ex-wife, ******** *. ******. There is an old late 1990’s vintage term life policy through Northwestern Mutual… this policy would have a death benefit approximating $375,000 right now. In addition, there is life insurance through my employer that names my ex-wife as beneficiary. These policies should pay regardless of circumstances of death. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In short this is THE one way I can put an end to my misery AND make sure those who depend upon my income are not left short of money. I just hope I can hold off until after March of 2015 so all the policies pay out as I had intended. [/SIZE]
Seriously, #### the kids. It's BS in my mind that you feel the need to kill yourself over ####ing financial obligations. Quit your job and do what you want to do. If you think your family is going to be thankful that you offed yourself just to leave them :moneybag: then you're sorely mistaken.
Aren't you a ray of ####### sunshine

shadyridr said:
I thpught johnnycakes was much younger than 64 and not only that the suicide note doesnt mention his new family which he always says he loves so much. Im very confused and i hope thats bs. Johnnycakes please get help.
I am younger than 64... changed a few facts like that (as well as, perhaps, the names of the insurance carriers) for the sake of anonymity. But there are lots of days I feel just like that. I just crafted the note yesterday... in part to help me think things through, myself. Today I feel better, so I'll go to work just as usual. Barring some unforeseen circumstances, I won't be taking any action on that before next March, anyhow. And perhaps not then. We shall see.

Oh. yes... and it was pointed out to me that I forgot to take out my son's name... that is his real name... if anyone who quoted that would be kind enough to ***** that out, I would appreciate it.

As for now, I'm out of this thread. Not even sure why I posted that here. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. Yesterday was a particularly bad day for me.

Thanks for the support from everyone.

shadyridr said:
I thpught johnnycakes was much younger than 64 and not only that the suicide note doesnt mention his new family which he always says he loves so much. Im very confused and i hope thats bs. Johnnycakes please get help.
I am younger than 64... changed a few facts like that (as well as, perhaps, the names of the insurance carriers) for the sake of anonymity. But there are lots of days I feel just like that. I just crafted the note yesterday... in part to help me think things through, myself. Today I feel better, so I'll go to work just as usual. Barring some unforeseen circumstances, I won't be taking any action on that before next March, anyhow. And perhaps not then. We shall see.

Oh. yes... and it was pointed out to me that I forgot to take out my son's name... that is his real name... if anyone who quoted that would be kind enough to ***** that out, I would appreciate it.

As for now, I'm out of this thread. Not even sure why I posted that here. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. Yesterday was a particularly bad day for me.

Maybe you posted it here because it was a bad day and you needed to get it out. And I hope you knew you'd get some folks to support you here.

shadyridr said:
I am younger than 64... changed a few facts like that (as well as, perhaps, the names of the insurance carriers) for the sake of anonymity. But there are lots of days I feel just like that. I just crafted the note yesterday... in part to help me think things through, myself. Today I feel better, so I'll go to work just as usual. Barring some unforeseen circumstances, I won't be taking any action on that before next March, anyhow. And perhaps not then. We shall see.Oh. yes... and it was pointed out to me that I forgot to take out my son's name... that is his real name... if anyone who quoted that would be kind enough to ***** that out, I would appreciate it.

I'll just say this: when I was at my worst, I couldn't be convinced to get help. Your "good" (or at least slightly better) days are a perfect time to get the ball rolling on talking to someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another voice in the- you matter as a friend (to me/us), life can and will get better by taking action; see a doctor/therapist/priest/counselor/MD/anybody. PLEASE TAKE ACTION, JC!

johnny, I dont know you from Adam. I only know you from your internet posts. I do know that everytime you post I look forward to what you have to say and whats going on inside that brain. of yours. Everytime you post about getting some strange in China I laugh even though I know its coming. I wanna see you posting on this board for the next 10 years.

Johnny, because of you, I'm going to China this fall to get some strange. And I'm happily married and don't particularly care for Chinese women. If you could have such a profound impact on my life, imagine what else you could do.

shadyridr said:

Glad to hear you are feeling better today, but you still need help. I hope you seek it.

Johnnycakes, I have been wondering why you haven't posted much lately. Has something happened recently to change your view on life?

I agree with other FBGs that this world is better with you in it and you're not alone because there are a lot of people who care about you, including me.

Check out this picture. Two people in it have fame and fortune but clearly the 3rd guy is the happiest one on that day.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/14/article-2691671-1FA3AE2900000578-886_634x630.jpg

Johnnycakes, I have been wondering why you haven't posted much lately. Has something happened recently to change your view on life?

I agree with other FBGs that this world is better with you in it and you're not alone because there are a lot of people who care about you, including me.

Check out this picture. Two people in it have fame and fortune but clearly the 3rd guy is the happiest one on that day.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/14/article-2691671-1FA3AE2900000578-886_634x630.jpg
Nope... nothing has changed. Not looking to debate what i should do.... Not even sure why I posted what I did. Perhaps a particularly bad day, but I've obviously had this planned for some time. Just looking to get all my ducks in order first. Meanwhile, living a day at a time. Today isn't the day.

I didn't think life insurance paid for suicides. You would have to make it look like an accident.

The perfect way to fake a death in the most painless way possible would be to do what that kid from the short lived MTV show Buck Wild did. Go mud bogging and get stuck, then floor it and fill the cab with the exhaust fumes.

Eta. I don't want to see anyone dead, but if anyone is ever going to do it you may want to think about a family member identifying your body.

Johnny- if you need to look for a reason outside of yourself NOT to follow through on your plans: don't kid yourself into thinking that what happens to you will only impact you...

This is the eulogy I gave for my son earlier today. Please feel free to share it with anyone you love who needs to take the message to heart.

A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more.
Today, again, Warrington is Ramah, and we are all Rachel. Another child is no more.
I loved Anthony, something that was not always easy to do. Anthony loved Eminem and 50 cent and Lil Wayne. Whenever any of them were about to come out with a new CD, Anthony always knew about it when the news first broke and he had to get the CD the day it came out. He loved movies and had recently developed a fondness for chick flicks. I suppose this shouldn’t surprise me. When he was a baby, his favorite video was “The Little Mermaid.” He devoured each and every Harry Potter novel the week it was published, proudly reporting how many pages he’d read each day. And as each book was made into a movie, he and I would see them, and if it wasn’t the day they were released Anthony was sorely disappointed.
He loved candy.
He loved his car.
He loved his brother.
He loved his mother.
He loved the Lord.
And he loved heroin.
Lord how he loved heroin. And because he loved heroin so much and because he thought it loved him back, he’ll never get to take his brother to the Eminem & Rihanna concert this August. He’ll never get to enjoy the case of Sour Patch Kids candy he ordered and that was delivered two days after he died. He won’t get to train Caesar, the Boxer puppy he bought from a breeder in Oklahoma just two weeks ago. And for the first time in years, there’s plenty of recording capacity on the DVR.
His death is a shock, but it’s not a surprise. He had been slow dancing with death for more than five years. He overdosed and almost died. His friend overdosed and almost died in front of his eyes. He was arrested. He overdosed again. He was arrested again. He spent a week on the street and a month in prison.
And each and every time we said, “Anthony, please, take this as a sign. It’s a warning. Take it to heart. You need to change your behavior.” And each and every time he said he knew and he would. But at some point, each of those warnings was forgotten. And all that remained was the mantra of the young. “It’s my life and I’ll do what I want. I’m only hurting myself.”
“It’s my life.”
Every time another young person says, “It’s my life,” Satan smiles.
“It’s my life and I’ll do what I want.” Yes, of course you will. But your actions have consequences and sometimes your mistakes are irreversible.
“I’m only hurting myself.” Really? I wish I had words strong enough and true enough to convince you of the staggering selfishness of that remark. And how wrong it is.
Almost exactly one week ago my lips were pressed against Anthony’s cold, pale lips, trying desperately to breathe air into lungs too full of fluid to receive it. For the last week his mother has carried one of Anthony’s unwashed shirts around with her, holding it to her face so she can smell him. She sleeps in his bed with his shirt and a framed photograph of Anthony. Everywhere she turns something else reminds her of Anthony. The leftovers from the last food he bought – food was a very big thing with Anthony. The stale remnants of the last soda he ever drank. She wants to die, so she can see her first born again.
Nick, who is one of the best people I know, has spent much of the last week with his arm around his mother. Nick, who was already an old soul, has aged 10 years in the last week. I don’t know if he will ever smile again.
But, hey, It’s your life. Do what you want. But before you ever again dare say, “I’m only hurting myself,” look at your mother, look up the word ‘inconsolable’ and remember Anthony’s mother.
Anthony kept a small scrap of paper with a verse he had copied from scripture pinned above his desk, right in front of his laptop, where he could look at it every day. The prophet Isaiah speaking to God:
“You will keep in perfect peace
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.”
An assurance from the Lord, that gave Anthony comfort. Later in that same verse there are words of comfort for those of us Anthony left behind when he went home:
“But your dead will live, Lord;
their bodies will rise—
let those who dwell in the dust
wake up and shout for joy—
your dew is like the dew of the morning;
the earth will give birth to her dead.”
Goodbye my son.

-Chris Fiore
There are people who will be profoundly hurt should you follow through on this. Not just you. And you all deserve better. Depression can be dealt with. With help. Based on my own experience, I'll second all those who have let you know as much here.

Reach out. It works.

I didn't think life insurance paid for suicides. You would have to make it look like an accident.

The perfect way to fake a death in the most painless way possible would be to do what that kid from the short lived MTV show Buck Wild did. Go mud bogging and get stuck, then floor it and fill the cab with the exhaust fumes.

Eta. I don't want to see anyone dead, but if anyone is ever going to do it you may want to think about a family member identifying your body.
The two-year clause is pretty much standard in all policies, including mine.

I found out a few hours ago that a friend of ours killed himself today. He was the step-dad of our son's best friend. I didn't know him on a personal level, but knew him through our sons' friendship. They just graduated high school together 3 weeks ago. I've known the guy about 4 or 5 years and he always seemed like a down to earth person. We had a mutual love for the band Rush and both big-time Phillies fans. He was laid off from his job a few weeks ago, but just started a new one so things should have been improving.

I came home from work and my son was Albert's house. An hour later, he called home upset and crying. First thought is something happened to him. Took about 5 tries for him to clearly say the words "Tom's dead". He hung himself in his bathroom around 1:00 while his daughter was home. No one knew anything was up till Albert came home, saw Tom's car but didn't see him anywhere around the house. While my son was there, the mother came home and found Tom with a belt around his neck in their shower. So yeah, my son was in the house with them when they found the body. So senseless and sad.

I hope he found what he was searching for.

How do you hang yourself in a shower? He either A) had a shower head at like 9 feet, or B) had a shower curtain rod manufactured by NASA.

How do you hang yourself in a shower? He either A) had a shower head at like 9 feet, or B) had a shower curtain rod manufactured by NASA.
That was one of my first questions as well, after the shock of the news wore off. I'm still not real clear on the logistics. From what I gather, you fasten it to the shower head and just kinda lean forward till you pass out.

I had a 13 year old client hang herself from a door knob 3.5 ft off the ground. If you tied something, or get it tight enough and cant get it loose before you pass out, it doesn't matter how high you are

Johnny, please get the help you need.

I'm not going to post my whole story because I don't need everyone here knowing everything about my life, but, suffice it to say, my life has gone to hell in the past three months because of my best friend/so-called girlfriend and her gambling habit.

I am 51. I had an opportunity to take a buyout from my employer to save someone else's job ... I took it to pursue a job where I could be my own boss - professional poker player. Now, it's not all the glory you see on TV I play low limit NLHE. I got off to a good start, followed by two bad months.

Unfortunately, my F/GF's gambling habit and my inability to say no to her has left me wondering how I'm going to pay the bills at the end of this month.

She owes me A TON of money and I have really have no way of collecting. She couldn't believe it the other day when I knew how much I had given her in the past 4 years.

I am sitting here in my living room in my 1-bedroom apartment having bad thoughts. They'll probably go away, but like JC, I feel like I have no friends who I can talk to about this. That I'll just get a lot of 'I told you so's' from those who know the long history.

I'm not going to post my whole story because I don't need everyone here knowing everything about my life, but, suffice it to say, my life has gone to hell in the past three months because of my best friend/so-called girlfriend and her gambling habit.

I am 51. I had an opportunity to take a buyout from my employer to save someone else's job ... I took it to pursue a job where I could be my own boss - professional poker player. Now, it's not all the glory you see on TV I play low limit NLHE. I got off to a good start, followed by two bad months.

Unfortunately, my F/GF's gambling habit and my inability to say no to her has left me wondering how I'm going to pay the bills at the end of this month.

She owes me A TON of money and I have really have no way of collecting. She couldn't believe it the other day when I knew how much I had given her in the past 4 years.

I am sitting here in my living room in my 1-bedroom apartment having bad thoughts. They'll probably go away, but like JC, I feel like I have no friends who I can talk to about this. That I'll just get a lot of 'I told you so's' from those who know the long history.
This needs it's own thread

This needs it's own thread
reread the bolded and consider what this thread is.

I for one, am very happy bweiser posted in here.

eta: it's a first step of taking action- any kind of action- rather than just slipping down the rabbit hole... and I admire and appreciate him for doing it.

The first step is to reach out to anyone, even posting here. Getting it out and having people support you. As you can see from this thread, you are not alone and have support. So many don't anywhere, online, irl... My prayers out to you who suffer and to get help.

I feel it's important to post here, 6 years later after this http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=384637&p=8286793:

Reading those words again is a surreal experience for me, as if they are from a different person, or a different lifetime. At the time there were a number of reactions, from people who thought it was a big joke from an alias, to people who were shocked at the sincerity.

I still have my problems, just like everyone else. Still have health concerns, and a massive amount of debt. But I haven't even thought of suicide in at least 3 years, maybe longer. Dare I say I'm now a reasonably happy guy? It's hard to say exactly how I arrived there, but I started working on myself. Tried self-improvement on some of my major flaws, tried to be a stronger person, and stopped being my own worst enemy. I started developing confidence, started loving myself, taking better care of myself. I threw myself into my hobbies, no matter how immature or geeky they may seem to others. In fact I just plain stopped worrying about what everyone thought of me, and started worrying about what I thought when I looked at myself.

I didn't get the professional help that many people advised. I'm not suggesting that's the right way to go about things; maybe it was a mistake and I could have reached happiness even earlier. I don't know the answers, as each person is in their own unique situation with their own path out. But I believe that path out exists.

I'm lurker who rarely posts (mainly because my writing is atrocious), and as time has gone on I don't even lurk as much anymore. But I felt compelled when I saw this thread, for 2 reasons:

1. To thank those folks who expressed their support all those years ago in that thread, and via PM.

2. To hopefully provide those who are struggling now (such as bweiser, johnnycakes, and badmojo1006) an example of someone who made it out of that suffocating darkness. It CAN be done- cling to any remaining hope for change that you have left. I did, and I'm so thankful for it.

I feel it's important to post here, 6 years later after this http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=384637&p=8286793:

Reading those words again is a surreal experience for me, as if they are from a different person, or a different lifetime. At the time there were a number of reactions, from people who thought it was a big joke from an alias, to people who were shocked at the sincerity.

I still have my problems, just like everyone else. Still have health concerns, and a massive amount of debt. But I haven't even thought of suicide in at least 3 years, maybe longer. Dare I say I'm now a reasonably happy guy? It's hard to say exactly how I arrived there, but I started working on myself. Tried self-improvement on some of my major flaws, tried to be a stronger person, and stopped being my own worst enemy. I started developing confidence, started loving myself, taking better care of myself. I threw myself into my hobbies, no matter how immature or geeky they may seem to others. In fact I just plain stopped worrying about what everyone thought of me, and started worrying about what I thought when I looked at myself.

I didn't get the professional help that many people advised. I'm not suggesting that's the right way to go about things; maybe it was a mistake and I could have reached happiness even earlier. I don't know the answers, as each person is in their own unique situation with their own path out. But I believe that path out exists.

I'm lurker who rarely posts (mainly because my writing is atrocious), and as time has gone on I don't even lurk as much anymore. But I felt compelled when I saw this thread, for 2 reasons:

1. To thank those folks who expressed their support all those years ago in that thread, and via PM.

2. To hopefully provide those who are struggling now (such as bweiser, johnnycakes, and badmojo1006) an example of someone who made it out of that suffocating darkness. It CAN be done- cling to any remaining hope for change that you have left. I did, and I'm so thankful for it.
I'm so happy to read this. I know virtually nothing about you, but the post you linked made it clear that you were in horrible pain, and also that you're really a good man. I wish you all the best.

I'm lurker who rarely posts (mainly because my writing is atrocious)
I love how you are so open and genuine with your thoughts through your writing. I'm glad you're still around, and found that lit path. Shine On, arcK. :)

-arcK- Your writing is far from atrocious. I'm so glad to hear you are out of that darkness. Big ups to you for it is tough, especially doing it without help! Thanks for sharing for I know it helps others to see that it does get better. God bless.

Thanks for your post man. There are many who struggle silently and posts like yours are helpful.

Arck, i think you should stop being a lurker and post much more. Your words are inspiring.
What Shady said.

And whatever gave you the impression that you don't write well. You write very comfortably.

Nice arcK - glad to hear it.

I've wanted to post in this thread numerous times but I'm always worried I'll same something stupid. I can't relate to those of you in pain but I do empathize and wish you all happiness in life. Stay strong.

Johnny

The good thing is you talked about your feelings and that means you are at less risk of hurting yourself. Most suicides come when people become completely withdrawn, so you talking about means you dont feel alone and you should eventually feel some recovery.

Nice arcK - glad to hear it.

I've wanted to post in this thread numerous times but I'm always worried I'll same something stupid. I can't relate to those of you in pain but I do empathize and wish you all happiness in life. Stay strong.
You have never been in emotional pain? A break-up or death? Everyone experiences sadness or even full blown despair at some point so you should be able to relate somewhat even if you have never thought of hurting yourself.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I guess I should better explain my atrocious writing comment... writing, to me, is an extremely painful process. The more words I add to a project, the more exponentially torturous it becomes. When I say atrocious, I mean the rough draft of my previous post sounded like a 5th grader wrote it. It took me probably 25 minutes to clean it up and make it legible. That's why I don't go back to school to get my Master's degree; I'd rather chop off my pinkie finger than have to write a bunch of research papers. The fact that people can crank out a 20 page paper in a weekend just boggles my mind. Frankly, I'm jealous.

But enough on that, really all I'm hoping for is that just one person reads about my experience and is encouraged to hold on a little longer to find the help they need.

This is a very sobering and eye-opening thread. Outside of a tumultuous time in my early 20's that had me in a bad way for awhile, I can't relate to the extent of what many of you are going through. It's given me a better understanding of what must be a horrible condition and maybe I can pass that on to someone in need some day. Kudos especially to those that sacrifice so much to help others in their lives like Curly and NCC.

I wish you all the best and my PM is always open even if you just want to shoot the breeze about other things and need a friend to talk to.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I guess I should better explain my atrocious writing comment... writing, to me, is an extremely painful process. The more words I add to a project, the more exponentially torturous it becomes. When I say atrocious, I mean the rough draft of my previous post sounded like a 5th grader wrote it. It took me probably 25 minutes to clean it up and make it legible. That's why I don't go back to school to get my Master's degree; I'd rather chop off my pinkie finger than have to write a bunch of research papers. The fact that people can crank out a 20 page paper in a weekend just boggles my mind. Frankly, I'm jealous.

But enough on that, really all I'm hoping for is that just one person reads about my experience and is encouraged to hold on a little longer to find the help they need.
You have to give yourself a lot of credit. You have a bachelor's degree, some thing that so many cannot do even if given the chance. I couldn't write any kind of paper if my life depended on it. In university, I did my research and my friend helped me to put it to good words. I envy those who can just sit down and do it in one try quick, but you know what? I have other attributes that they didn't have. We are each unique. Shine on your gifts, and we all are gifted, and poo poo to what others may have "over" you. Not important.

One gift I see here is you shared your experience. I'm sure it's not easy to do even if you are a quick writer, even under a username. I am sure you are helping others with your post and they are grateful to hear that they are not alone.

God bless.

So I was a schmuck this morning.

Last week was in-law visit which resulted in me sitting in a hotel room for about a total of 16 hours. Friday was 11 hours of that. Of course the real fun was getting my wife back and forth to the hotel they stay at. We have cats and her mom is allergic. So I got the fun of that plus I burned two vacation days to sit in a hotel room. No coke, booze or strippers involved. So that has been low level bugging me. Then the apt complex where we live needed to come in the apartment. Turns out when they put in our fancy new smoke alarms last year they were supposed to pass inspection. They never did that part. The county was peeved when they figured it out. So with her being heavily medicated she is very concerned about people being in the apt when I am not there especially if she is sleeping. So I have to stay home. First it was supposed to be between 9 and 11. Then it was 11 to 1. They didn't get there until nearly 3. Well as those of you who have dealt with inspectors know they aren't on the site after 4. So my apartment didn't get done. Another burned vacation day. So they came back today. More vacation time burned. And now one of the cats is sick. Very sick I think. So I was trying to get her to deal with the inspector so I could try to get to the vet. All he had to do was walk in and push a button. But no she had already taken her medication so she couldn't. It was at this point I came out with " It would really be nice to have some help and not have everything thing that needs to be done fall right on my head" and I walked out of the room. I did go back and apologize in a few minutes explaining that it was frustration and worry talking I know she would help if she could. Then she made me feel worse by apologizing to me for not being able to help. I told her she had nothing to apologize for she is sick after all.

And I still need to get the cat to a vet. Life sucks some times.

Users who are viewing this thread