What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question about driving in the "fast lane" (1 Viewer)

What is the correct speed to drive in the left lane on the freeway?

• Less than 65 MPH

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 65-69 MPH

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 70-74 MPH

Votes: 38 20.5%
  • 75-79 MPH

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • 80+ MPH

Votes: 23 12.4%
  • None of the above (explain in comments)

Votes: 74 40.0%

• Total voters
Whatever the left lane is supposed to be used for, it's just not so black and white anymore.
:doh: Dude, it is as black and white a topic as we can debate... Go fast and/or pass in the left lane while driving.

If someone is approaching rapidly from behind, you should make every effort to move over.

It's not your responsibility (nor is it your right) to enforce the speed limit from your driver's seat. If there are people on the road who are attempting to drive faster than you are, move over so they can pass. It's safer for everyone involved.

I'm not talking about heavy congestion where every lane is packed with stop-and-start traffic or whatever. Under normal driving conditions, if someone has to change lanes to pass you on the right, you're the one doing it wrong.
Theoretically, sure. But I can't tell you how many times I've been in the left lane (passing someone or otherwise)
What's "otherwise" mean? If you're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in the left lane.

and had someone come flying up behind me doing 90-95, only to have that person zig zag around me at the first opportunity.
If there was room on the right for them to zig around you, why didn't you pull to the right? You had an opportunity to do so before they did.

Are there some maniacs on the road who drive recklessly? Sure. (Then again, he might be racing to the hospital to see a child clinging to life after a horrific accident or something - it's neither your responsibility nor your right to decide why people are driving the way they are, either).

All you can control is what you do behind the wheel. Yes, some people drive improperly - that doesn't give you a pass to drive improperly too, and pretend that your version of improper driving is less of a problem than everyone else's. At best, you're just taking a bad situation and making it worse.

And there continue to be a lot of terrible, selfish and stubborn drivers in the FFA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone's every under an obligation to go 75+ mph. And if you're passing traffic in the right lane you're not obligated to get over for the guys who want to go 90 either.

I support the death penalty for people who drive in the left lane without passing. And use a ####### blinker when changing lanes.

The left lane is for passing. There is no consistent speed fpr that lane, because it should not be driven in consistently.
Let's say that it is a two-lane interstate. Do you honestly believe that the rules of the road dictate that the two-lane interstate should be essentially be reduced to a one-lane interstate, except when passing? That just makes no sense to me and seems counterproductive to encouraging smooth traffic flow.
The hypothetical given was a four lane highway...

If it is two lanes only and you are doing anything less than 10 mph over the speed limit in the passing lane, then there is a special place in hell reserved for you.
Hell is going to be full. Most of the time when driving in the South I have to use the right lane as my passing lane because of all the idiots camped out in the left lane that think as long as they are going over the speed limit at all, it belongs to them.
This. Kills me everytime I drive from Houston to Austin, I encounter several of these oblivious fools. Even worse when they decide to to drive the same speed as the car next to them.

The left lane is for passing. There is no consistent speed fpr that lane, because it should not be driven in consistently.
Let's say that it is a two-lane interstate. Do you honestly believe that the rules of the road dictate that the two-lane interstate should be essentially be reduced to a one-lane interstate, except when passing? That just makes no sense to me and seems counterproductive to encouraging smooth traffic flow.
The hypothetical given was a four lane highway...

If it is two lanes only and you are doing anything less than 10 mph over the speed limit in the passing lane, then there is a special place in hell reserved for you.
Hell is going to be full. Most of the time when driving in the South I have to use the right lane as my passing lane because of all the idiots camped out in the left lane that think as long as they are going over the speed limit at all, it belongs to them.
This. Kills me everytime I drive from Houston to Austin, I encounter several of these oblivious fools. Even worse when they decide to to drive the same speed as the car next to them.
Yup. Used to both crack me up and infuriate me when I'd be on the highway in Houston and there was me and one other car on a stretch of 4 lane highway. And, of course, the other car was doing 65 mph camped out in the passing lane.

This is a losing battle. So many think they have the right, nay, duty to park it in the left lane without regard to anyone else no matter how slow they're going.

Somewhat relatedly... I was driving on an expressway in NYC a few years ago in the right lane and was honked at/flipped off by a couple of cars that wanted me to move over to the left, so they could pass me. Do the left/right rules reverse in NYC? Or do NYCers just flip everyone in their way? (I was assuming the latter.)

I've noticed that here in PA, on the two lane highways, people are pretty awesome about getting out of the left lane for slower traffic. It all seems to work just like it's supposed to.

Then you get to a three lane highway and it all falls apart. It's like people don't know what to do once that extra lane is introduced.

What's the shark move do to get these pigs to move aside? tail them? headlights? Whatever the case, if they dont move over Major is sure to pass them, cutting back to their lane and little sooner than I probably should.

What's the shark move do to get these pigs to move aside? tail them? headlights? Whatever the case, if they dont move over Major is sure to pass them, cutting back to their lane and little sooner than I probably should.
I usually pull out my handgun and start shooting... More of a warning shot... If they still won't move aside, at that point you need to start thinking about the kill shot

TheIronSheik said:
I've noticed that here in PA, on the two lane highways, people are pretty awesome about getting out of the left lane for slower traffic. It all seems to work just like it's supposed to.

Then you get to a three lane highway and it all falls apart. It's like people don't know what to do once that extra lane is introduced.
I think it's almost exclusively driven by traffic volume.

On my normal, traffic-heavy commute, there's basically 3 lines of cars on a 3-lane road. Nobody in the left lane moves over, even when the right lane clears, for fear of being steamrolled by everyone passing them. Last night I worked late...same road, much less traffic...I breezed home and almost everyone I came up on moved right and let me by. I think a lot of people just aren't comfortable changing lanes in traffic. I've also noticed that having a head of steam when you come up on someone encourages them to move over, whereas when you are stuck in a pack, there's less...um...motivation.

I usually pull out my handgun and start shooting... More of a warning shot... If they still won't move aside, at that point you need to start thinking about the kill shot
Problem is, you need at least two shots. One to take out the rear window and the second to take out the driver. Usually the first creates a sudden and erratic weeble wobble of the 80 year old geezer in front of you which in turn causes a 13 car pile up with you in the middle and said bullet in the guys back seat and said weapon in yours. The shark move is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLowqjDpkSU

Ministry of Pain said:
No offense to the OP but I don't drive anywhere in South Florida where the left lane is not being hugged at about the speed limit to maybe 5 over, you have to zig zag back and forth between lanes to get anywhere. You can spout all this perfect answer stuff but out in the real world down here you are whistling Dixie my friend.

Someone tell em I'm wrong. I also do not remember SoCal being anything close to ideal either.
Exact same in Alabama. On two lane interstate I always have to use the right lane to pass. We have way too many idiots that are too ####tastic to speed but too macho to drive anywhere but the left lane.

Ignoramus said:
This is a losing battle. So many think they have the right, nay, duty to park it in the left lane without regard to anyone else no matter how slow they're going.
The only thing to do is pass them on the right without even slowing down. If you try to get them to observe any rules of the road it will just piss you off and cost you time.

ETA: There was a news story about some woman getting ticketed for driving too slow in the left lane. That cops deserves the medal of honor.

TheIronSheik said:

I think it's almost exclusively driven by traffic volume.

On my normal, traffic-heavy commute, there's basically 3 lines of cars on a 3-lane road. Nobody in the left lane moves over, even when the right lane clears, for fear of being steamrolled by everyone passing them. Last night I worked late...same road, much less traffic...I breezed home and almost everyone I came up on moved right and let me by. I think a lot of people just aren't comfortable changing lanes in traffic. I've also noticed that having a head of steam when you come up on someone encourages them to move over, whereas when you are stuck in a pack, there's less...um...motivation.
This is the point. If everyone in the left lane is steadily passing everyone in the middle lane who are steadily passing everyone in the right lane, and all traffic is moving consistently except for that one person pushing me from behind in hopes of gaining one car length--I'm not moving. Too bad.

Ignoratio Elenchi said:
danielmclark said:
Ignoratio Elenchi said:
It's not your responsibility (nor is it your right) to enforce the speed limit from your driver's seat. If there are people on the road who are attempting to drive faster than you are, move over so they can pass. It's safer for everyone involved.

I'm not talking about heavy congestion where every lane is packed with stop-and-start traffic or whatever. Under normal driving conditions, if someone has to change lanes to pass you on the right, you're the one doing it wrong.
Theoretically, sure. But I can't tell you how many times I've been in the left lane (passing someone or otherwise)
What's "otherwise" mean? If you're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in the left lane.

and had someone come flying up behind me doing 90-95, only to have that person zig zag around me at the first opportunity.
If there was room on the right for them to zig around you, why didn't you pull to the right? You had an opportunity to do so before they did.

Are there some maniacs on the road who drive recklessly? Sure. (Then again, he might be racing to the hospital to see a child clinging to life after a horrific accident or something - it's neither your responsibility nor your right to decide why people are driving the way they are, either).

All you can control is what you do behind the wheel. Yes, some people drive improperly - that doesn't give you a pass to drive improperly too, and pretend that your version of improper driving is less of a problem than everyone else's. At best, you're just taking a bad situation and making it worse.
Listen to your logic, though! "Some people drive improperly and it doesn't give you a pass to drive improperly too"? And yet you don't want to apply that logic to the people who are driving improperly over the speed limit? Why? What makes someone doing 90 in the left lane less of a problem - from a legal or "properness" standpoint - than someone who's driving in the left lane at or below the speed limit? I recognize that both are driving improperly. You want to give a pass to one but not the other while bashing me for supposedly doing the same thing.

This is so typical. If someone's in your way, they're driving improperly. If you're in someone else's way, it's because they're driving improperly. When I said that things aren't that black and white, I mean it's because traffic conditions vary depending on the time of day and size of the road and #######it, sometimes people need to use the left lane because of traffic conditions. When the whole road is backed up having the left lane open for passers not only isn't practical, it's physically impossible.

Lastly, if you're going to say it's not up to me to determine why someone is coming up behind me at 90, fine. But it works both ways. If I'm not supposed to care, don't expect me to bust my ### getting out of the way - no matter what lane I'm in. Because I guarantee, if I'm in a middle lane and other people are in the left, and some d-bag comes flying up behind me, I'm not inclined to move unless it's safe and practical to do so. After all, I'm not supposed to care why he's driving like that, right?

I'm normally adamant about only using the left lane for passing, but I think there's a stretch of the Lynchburg Expressway where staying in the left lane by default is the safest course of action.

It's the dumbest highway design I've ever seen. It's a 4-lane divided highway with no acceleration lanes for about 7 or 8 straight exits. It's also curvy and hilly. Cars have to just turn right out into 70+ MPH traffic with limited visibility.

If you don't cruise the left lane, it's very difficult to let cars on safely . They'll get fed up and pull out any, causing sudden lane changes or slow downs.

No perfect option with the poor design, but I elect to cruise in the left lane and just make sure I'm driving very fast. Get over for the occasional bat out of hell.

Listen to your logic, though! "Some people drive improperly and it doesn't give you a pass to drive improperly too"? And yet you don't want to apply that logic to the people who are driving improperly over the speed limit? Why? What makes someone doing 90 in the left lane less of a problem - from a legal or "properness" standpoint - than someone who's driving in the left lane at or below the speed limit? I recognize that both are driving improperly. You want to give a pass to one but not the other while bashing me for supposedly doing the same thing.
Not sure where you got all of that from what I wrote. They guy driving recklessly and the guy driving in the left lane are both doing it wrong. I'm not giving a pass to the guy that's speeding and I'm not saying he's less of a problem. Reckless drivers are driving improperly. People like yourself who seem to think they're entitled to drive in the left lane when they want to are also driving improperly. Both are serious problems.

This is so typical. If someone's in your way, they're driving improperly. If you're in someone else's way, it's because they're driving improperly.
Who said that, other than you?

When I said that things aren't that black and white, I mean it's because traffic conditions vary depending on the time of day and size of the road and #######it, sometimes people need to use the left lane because of traffic conditions. When the whole road is backed up having the left lane open for passers not only isn't practical, it's physically impossible.
I already said we're not talking about backed up, stop and go traffic.

Lastly, if you're going to say it's not up to me to determine why someone is coming up behind me at 90, fine. But it works both ways. If I'm not supposed to care, don't expect me to bust my ### getting out of the way - no matter what lane I'm in. Because I guarantee, if I'm in a middle lane and other people are in the left, and some d-bag comes flying up behind me, I'm not inclined to move unless it's safe and practical to do so. After all, I'm not supposed to care why he's driving like that, right?
Listen to yourself. You're getting all ragey and making no sense. I'm sure it's difficult to deal with the sudden realization that you've been driving wrong all your life and everyone hates you, but that's not my fault. Follow the rules of the road - it's safer for everyone involved and it won't make you look like an #######. :shrug:

I'm normally adamant about only using the left lane for passing, but I think there's a stretch of the Lynchburg Expressway where staying in the left lane by default is the safest course of action.

It's the dumbest highway design I've ever seen. It's a 4-lane divided highway with no acceleration lanes for about 7 or 8 straight exits. It's also curvy and hilly. Cars have to just turn right out into 70+ MPH traffic with limited visibility.

If you don't cruise the left lane, it's very difficult to let cars on safely . They'll get fed up and pull out any, causing sudden lane changes or slow downs.

No perfect option with the poor design, but I elect to cruise in the left lane and just make sure I'm driving very fast. Get over for the occasional bat out of hell.
Staying to the left to make room for traffic entering the highway is perfectly acceptable.

Staying to the left to make room for traffic entering the highway is perfectly acceptable.
And yet perfectly illegal unless passing, right? Or are you making exceptions? Because in your other response to me - in which you seem to ignore half of what I've actually written in this thread - you seem pretty adamant that the left is only for passing.

I treat the left lane as the fast lane instead of the passing lane, as do most people in CA. If you are in there, you'd better be going 10mph over the limit and if someone wants to go faster than you want to go, you GTFO of the way. I'd say only half of people actually get out of the way. The other half think "I'm going 80mph, it's fast enough". That's a problem.

Using it only for passing isn't realistic because there's so much traffic we need all the lanes. You occupy it as long as you can.

I treat the left lane as the fast lane instead of the passing lane, as do most people in CA. If you are in there, you'd better be going 10mph over the limit and if someone wants to go faster than you want to go, you GTFO of the way. I'd say only half of people actually get out of the way. The other half think "I'm going 80mph, it's fast enough"

Using it only for passing isn't realistic because there's so much traffic we need all the lanes. You occupy it as long as you can.
This.

And it's not just CA, it's pretty much anywhere that has more than a decent sized population. It's absolutely impractical for everyone involved to use it solely for passing. It's "the fast lane".

I treat the left lane as the fast lane instead of the passing lane, as do most people in CA. If you are in there, you'd better be going 10mph over the limit and if someone wants to go faster than you want to go, you GTFO of the way. I'd say only half of people actually get out of the way. The other half think "I'm going 80mph, it's fast enough". That's a problem.

Exactly. It's more like the second left lane is the GTFO lane. It would be impractical and unsafe to use the left lane as a passing exclusive lane given that you're pretty much passing someone all the time. And if not, you will be soon. The amount of lane changes at high speeds (even at 65 mph) you would need to execute to use the left lane exclusively for passing would be ridiculous.

Being said, if there's a big stretch of open real estate on my right, I still move over even if no one is behind me so I don't have to worry about the very small percentage of the population that drives faster than I do.

Also, for the road rage stuff, I actually sold my car and have gone via public transportation for my communte. Not because of money (costs me slightly more) or time (adds time) or a sense for the environment (not that guy). But because I drive 880N home to get to SF and I was coming home so agitated that it took half an hour to calm down. By the time I hit the third bus going 45 in the fast lane on my way home, I started to lose it and then dealing with the mayhem that is city streets just enraged me even more (SF is notorious for hating commuters and doing everything it can to make drivers lives more miserable, all the while calling "traffic calming"). So now, I take the ferry to downtown while drinking a beer and brave the mass transit.

Listen to your logic, though! "Some people drive improperly and it doesn't give you a pass to drive improperly too"? And yet you don't want to apply that logic to the people who are driving improperly over the speed limit? Why? What makes someone doing 90 in the left lane less of a problem - from a legal or "properness" standpoint - than someone who's driving in the left lane at or below the speed limit? I recognize that both are driving improperly.
They are both driving improperly, but the person driving 65 in the left lane is also interfering with the flow of traffic and creating a hazardous situation.

And yet perfectly illegal unless passing, right? Or are you making exceptions? Because in your other response to me - in which you seem to ignore half of what I've actually written in this thread - you seem pretty adamant that the left is only for passing.
By law (in most states), the far left lane is for passing only. Period.

You want to move into the left lane to make things easier for someone to merge, great. But you better move right back into the right lane as soon as they're done merging. If you can't grasp that concept then you are a crappy driver and a terrible human being and you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Ignoratio Elenchi said:
danielmclark said:
Apple Jack said:
danielmclark said:
Ministry of Pain said:
No offense to the OP but I don't drive anywhere in South Florida where the left lane is not being hugged at about the speed limit to maybe 5 over, you have to zig zag back and forth between lanes to get anywhere. You can spout all this perfect answer stuff but out in the real world down here you are whistling Dixie my friend.

Someone tell em I'm wrong. I also do not remember SoCal being anything close to ideal either.
If they're doing the speed limit or 5 over and you're zig zagging around them, you're the problem, not them. They're obeying the speed limit.
But it's not me doing it, it's MoP. And you have just instigated MoP and others like him to drive recklessly. That is the checkmate point on this issue. It's that you know people are going to go around you and that is adding danger because people tend to no be prepared for other passing them on the right/tailgating/etc, therefore you are as much a hazard as he is, if not more.
I don't disagree with that, but consider what MoP is saying - if everyone's going the speed limit or 5 over, he still wants the left lane cleared to he can pass... by driving illegally over the speed limit. He's basically complaining that people aren't making it easy for him to break the law. And though I'm using his name, I don't mean to imply that he's specifically a problem driver, but he did bring this up... and there are tons of people that seem to agree with him.
It's not your responsibility (nor is it your right) to enforce the speed limit from your driver's seat.If there are people on the road who are attempting to drive faster than you are, move over so they can pass. It's safer for everyone involved.I'm not talking about heavy congestion where every lane is packed with stop-and-start traffic or whatever. Under normal driving conditions, if someone has to change lanes to pass you on the right, you're the one doing it wrong.
Absolutely, nothing worse than amateur traffic cops and I'll never figure out what people don't understand about "KEEP RIGHT, PASS LEFT".

Listen to your logic, though! "Some people drive improperly and it doesn't give you a pass to drive improperly too"? And yet you don't want to apply that logic to the people who are driving improperly over the speed limit? Why? What makes someone doing 90 in the left lane less of a problem - from a legal or "properness" standpoint - than someone who's driving in the left lane at or below the speed limit? I recognize that both are driving improperly.
They are both driving improperly, but the person driving 65 in the left lane is also interfering with the flow of traffic and creating a hazardous situation.
Patently untrue as long as everyone else is also driving the legal speed limit. You, like so many others, are merely rationalizing one type of illegal behavior while putting down another. The car that creates the dangerous situation is the one that zig zags through traffic in excess of the legal speed limit simply because he doesn't feel like driving the speed limit. The guy in the left lane doing the speed limit might be annoying, might be driving improperly, but at least he's driving in a straight line and not weaving through traffic. That is what causes accidents.

Patently untrue as long as everyone else is also driving the legal speed limit. You, like so many others, are merely rationalizing one type of illegal behavior while putting down another. The car that creates the dangerous situation is the one that zig zags through traffic in excess of the legal speed limit simply because he doesn't feel like driving the speed limit. The guy in the left lane doing the speed limit might be annoying, might be driving improperly, but at least he's driving in a straight line and not weaving through traffic. That is what causes accidents.
If that sloth didn't block the fast lane, the zig zagging wouldn't occur.

The correct answer is faster than the guy behind you. Especially if they have blue flashing lights.

Right. And if that guy was given a clear path, everybody else would be safer. Thanks for making the road more dangerous for the rest of us.

A driver clogging the passing lane at 65 MPH is creating a significantly larger hazard than a non-zig-zagging driver trying to pass at 66 MPH.

You know why NASCAR frequently uses the phrase "three wide"? Because it creates a more dangerous driving environment than single-file. This is not debatable.

Right. And if that guy was given a clear path, everybody else would be safer. Thanks for making the road more dangerous for the rest of us.
In the really real world, that guy is breaking the law and getting pissed off at someone else who's breaking another law. So spare me the "one is way more dangerous than the other" because if the speeder would slow down the guy in the left lane wouldn't have to move over. As usual, this comes down to selfishness and egotism - of course you want to speed all over town, of course you have places to be, of course when you break the law it's completely justified. If the other guy is in your way, it's his fault. If you're zig-zagging around at 90 mph, that's somehow also someone else's fault. Not yours. Not the guy with the foot on your gas pedal.

Logic, FTW.

A driver clogging the passing lane at 65 MPH is creating a significantly larger hazard than a non-zig-zagging driver trying to pass at 66 MPH.

You know why NASCAR frequently uses the phrase "three wide"? Because it creates a more dangerous driving environment than single-file. This is not debatable.
That you think our nations highways are NASCAR tracks speaks volumes about how damn wrong you are about this.

Moving left for merging traffic is generally a form of passing.

Usually, the entering car is ahead, but moving slower.

I agree with daniel technically, but I think he's either very dense, intentionally obtuse, or just into fishing.

In the really real world, that guy is breaking the law and getting pissed off at someone else who's breaking another law. So spare me the "one is way more dangerous than the other" because if the speeder would slow down the guy in the left lane wouldn't have to move over. As usual, this comes down to selfishness and egotism - of course you want to speed all over town, of course you have places to be, of course when you break the law it's completely justified. If the other guy is in your way, it's his fault. If you're zig-zagging around at 90 mph, that's somehow also someone else's fault. Not yours. Not the guy with the foot on your gas pedal.

Logic, FTW.
Who has the bigger ego, they guy breaking the speed limit or the guy trying to stop him? Keep right, pass left Miss Daisy.

I agree with daniel technically, but I think he's either very dense, intentionally obtuse, or just into fishing.
A little bit of 2 and 3. But I'm also arguing this from a point of logic and real world application, which most of the people in this conversation can't seem to grasp. It boils down to: if you're arguing that people driving the left lane are terrible drivers because they're breaking a law while arguing that you're an awesome driver despite breaking speed laws, you're a hypocrite. And more than a little bit of an ####### in this regard.

Someone going 65 when everyone else is going 85 is, technically, in violation. In almost all states is a duty to "keep up with the flow of traffic".

Logic, FTW.
Who has the bigger ego, they guy breaking the speed limit or the guy trying to stop him? Keep right, pass left Miss Daisy.
It's not about ego or trying to stop people from speeding. On a busy highway, it's not feasible to keep the left lane clear, and even if it was, it would not improve traffic conditions for anyone. But yes, people who are trying to justify their own illegal behavior while getting pissed off at other people for their other illegal behavior? This is kinda fun.

A little bit of 2 and 3.
So now that you're starting to realize how silly your "arguments" have been here, now you're fishing. *wink wink*

if you're arguing that people driving the left lane are terrible drivers because they're breaking a law while arguing that you're an awesome driver despite breaking speed laws, you're a hypocrite.
Who's arguing that?

Do you not realize that you're the one who keeps trying to make his own poor driving habits seem more reasonable by continually comparing them to others' poor driving habits? No one else is arguing that speeding is "awesome." You're accusing others of "selfishness" and "ego" yet you're the only one displaying those traits by arguing that it's ok for you to drive whatever speed you want in the passing lane.

"Logic." Yikes.

danielmclark said:
Ignoratio Elenchi said:

Theoretically, sure. But I can't tell you how many times I've been in the left lane (passing someone or otherwise) and had someone come flying up behind me doing 90-95, only to have that person zig zag around me at the first opportunity. That's not my fault, and it's reckless driving on their part to boot. You'll never convince me that someone driving illegally by speeding and weaving through traffic somehow has more validity than someone who is driving annoyingly by maybe using the left lane the way it's not supposed to be used. Show me that cops are writing tickets for driving in the left lane while not passing at the same (or even close) to the rate that they're writing tickets for speeding. Whatever the left lane is supposed to be used for, it's just not so black and white anymore.

[ETA - don't get me wrong, I don't enforce a speed limit from my drivers seat. I don't camp in the left lane. If someone comes up behind me, whatever lane I'm in, I make an effort to see if I can be somewhere else. Someone mentioned nobody ever checks their mirrors? I do. Constantly. I trained myself for years to always know, to the best of my ability, what every car around me was doing at all times. I don't like being surprised.]
Pretty much this. If I've just passed someone, I'll probably get back into the right lane. But, if I know I'll just be getting back over in a minute and there's nobody behind me, I'm staying in the left lane. Occasionally there will be a sports car that comes way too close to me, gets over before I do, cutting off the guy to the right, and speeds around me. It's a rare satisfaction when I see that guy pulled over a mile later.

In Virginia, I make it a priority to stay in the right lane as much as possible because there are always multiple cops out and I don't want to be the fastest guy on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread