What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Went to turn on the Camp Chef for some good grilling and found it wouldn't turn on. Tested the outlet on the deck and found that it doesn't appear to be working, as nothing I plugged into it would turn on. Checked the circuit box and didn't find any breakers tripped.

I did just have an episode where my garage fridge tripped my GFI and keeps tripping it whenever I plug it in - could that somehow be related? The garage is a tuck under, and directly above it is the deck I have the Camp Chef on. Is it possible that both outlets are on the same circuit and something damaged one or both of the outlets? If there are any FBG grillers and smokers who also know electrical work, please chime in...
Did you check the GFI to see if it's tripped?

Went to turn on the Camp Chef for some good grilling and found it wouldn't turn on. Tested the outlet on the deck and found that it doesn't appear to be working, as nothing I plugged into it would turn on. Checked the circuit box and didn't find any breakers tripped.

I did just have an episode where my garage fridge tripped my GFI and keeps tripping it whenever I plug it in - could that somehow be related? The garage is a tuck under, and directly above it is the deck I have the Camp Chef on. Is it possible that both outlets are on the same circuit and something damaged one or both of the outlets? If there are any FBG grillers and smokers who also know electrical work, please chime in...
I'm no electrician, but if a GFI gets tripped, all of the outlets further along the chain are also tripped. I just had to replace a GFI in my kitchen because even though I'd click the reset button, all of the subsequent outlets remained out. Once I replaced the outlet they all worked fine. Could be what is going on in your garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no electrician, but if a GFI gets tripped, all of the outlets further along the chain are also tripped. I just had to replace a GFI in my kitchen because even though I'd click the reset button, all of the subsequent outlets remained out. Once I replaced the outlet they all worked fine. Could be what is going on in your basement.
This is what I was thinking from my limited electrical knowledge. There's no mention in the breaker box of what the garage breaker controls, but it seems plausible it could control the deck outlet. My plan was to replace the GFI outlet in the garage tomorrow and see how it goes.

This is what I was thinking from my limited electrical knowledge. There's no mention in the breaker box of what the garage breaker controls, but it seems plausible it could control the deck outlet. My plan was to replace the GFI outlet in the garage tomorrow and see how it goes.
Replace the fridge GFCI with a regular recep imo

I had the same thing happen to me. If I had my Camp Chef or Traeger plugged in, I had to unplug my outdoor mini fridge or this would happen. 

I'll post an imgur link later but first pulled pork of the year on. I also made Pork al Pastor and needed 2lbs of pork loin roast, had about 1.5lb left so I threw that on the smoker and hfs was it amazing. I have about 3/4lb left that I will thinly slice/shave and use it to make cubanos later this week. Can't wait.

where's the sausage on that thing?
It's wrapped around the egg. Then dunked in egg wash and coated in cheese and bread crumbs.

On the smoker at 275 to 300 about 1 hr 20 min.

ETA- you basically make a sausage basket , put the egg in and smooth the sausage around it

It's wrapped around the egg. Then dunked in egg wash and coated in cheese and bread crumbs.

On the smoker at 275 to 300 about 1 hr 20 min.

ETA- you basically make a sausage basket , put the egg in and smooth the sausage around it
yeah, I just didn't see the meat wrapped around the egg is all.  May just be the camera angle.

I picked up one of these over the weekend, it was 200 dollars at home depot. I went with it mainly because I had a hundred dollars in gift cards I need to use up.  It will last a few years and then I will be back in this same situation.

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/charcoal-grills/products/smokin-champ-a-1624-charcoal-grill#
I had one very similar, only wooden shelves. I got it as a wedding present 13 years ago. My neighbor has it now and it's still chugging along. We lost one slat on the side shelf a couple years ago, and there is some rust on the firebox, but otherwise it's going strong. 

OK, so it's marketing season in the BBQ world and my email has been blowing up. I will be promoting both Char-Griller and American Muscle Grills this year along with some weird stuff. Not the products are weird, that they want me to promote them in terms of grilling and BBQ is. I got another year with Reynold's Wrap which is not weird as I use foil all the time in various capacities. But the two strange ones are, Heinz Mayonnaise and Mrs. T's Pierogies. 

Got any ideas for these? I need to do two recipes each. And on a more basic note, how does one exactly grill a pierogi?

I'll hang up and listen. 

OK, so it's marketing season in the BBQ world and my email has been blowing up. I will be promoting both Char-Griller and American Muscle Grills this year along with some weird stuff. Not the products are weird, that they want me to promote them in terms of grilling and BBQ is. I got another year with Reynold's Wrap which is not weird as I use foil all the time in various capacities. But the two strange ones are, Heinz Mayonnaise and Mrs. T's Pierogies. 

Got any ideas for these? I need to do two recipes each. And on a more basic note, how does one exactly grill a pierogi?

I'll hang up and listen. 
Never tried but idk why a grilled pierogi wouldn't be great.

I'd imagine you'd have to brush it well with oil to keep it from sticking to the grates. A couple minutes per side over med high heat to mark it and heat it through? :shrug:

Never tried but idk why a grilled pierogi wouldn't be great.

I'd imagine you'd have to brush it well with oil to keep it from sticking to the grates. A couple minutes per side over med high heat to mark it and heat it through? :shrug:
That's what I'm thinking too, but after a little smoke action. THEN oil and sear. 

I'll hang up and listen. 
Maybe theme the stuffing for the pierogies, PP with slaw, smoked wings, steak and cheese, sausage and mushroom, etc. doing the stuffing on the smoker and then maybe a sear using a CIS and some garlic butter

As for the mayo, there are several recipes for BS Chicken breast using a mayo slather with bread crumbs/panko that can be done on the smoker and also several variations of Mexican street corn

Maybe theme the stuffing for the pierogies, PP with slaw, smoked wings, steak and cheese, sausage and mushroom, etc. doing the stuffing on the smoker and then maybe a sear using a CIS and some garlic butter
See, that's where it gets tricky. Cooking them is one thing, but creating a dish with them is another. These are premade so I will have to go with their flavors. The good news is they have a bunch of different flavors. I just submitted six recipes for them to choose from. 

See, that's where it gets tricky. Cooking them is one thing, but creating a dish with them is another. These are premade so I will have to go with their flavors. The good news is they have a bunch of different flavors. I just submitted six recipes for them to choose from. 
Maybe concentrate on sauces on the smoker to go with the pre-determined flavors

I need some advice on getting new smoker. 

I am currently using a Weber kettle for all my grilling and have always been impressed with Weber quality.  

I am leaning towards the 18” Weber Smokey Mountain and wondering if I should be looking at anything else in the ~$300 range?

TIA

I need some advice on getting new smoker. 

I am currently using a Weber kettle for all my grilling and have always been impressed with Weber quality.  

I am leaning towards the 18” Weber Smokey Mountain and wondering if I should be looking at anything else in the ~$300 range?

TIA
Spend the extra 100 bucks and get the 22.5 WSM

I'll hang up and listen. 
Alabama white sauce for the mayo?  

I'm not sure why I like this stuff so much.  Can't stand Alabama or mayonnaise.

Spend the extra 100 bucks and get the 22.5 WSM
BTW - the reason for the 22.5 over the 18 is that Brisket and Ribs get pretty tight on the 18.   You wind up having to fold the ends of the brisket to fit.  For Ribs, you have to cut the slabs in half (actually not a huge sacrifice having done it).  18 gets the job done, but 22.5 is a good upgrade for the $100. 

Yours truly,

WSM18 owner

I'll hang up and listen. 
For the mayo, maybe do a grilled, grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter on the bread.

For the pierogies get your grill as hot as it will go. I'm talking ripping hot. Throw the pierogies in and close the lid. Wait about an hour to an hour and a half. Open grill and scrape grates of anything that remains. Now sear a steak and enjoy.

For the mayo, maybe do a grilled, grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter on the bread.

For the pierogies get your grill as hot as it will go. I'm talking ripping hot. Throw the pierogies in and close the lid. Wait about an hour to an hour and a half. Open grill and scrape grates of anything that remains. Now sear a steak and enjoy.
1) Excellent idea

2)  :lol: :lol: :lol:

2a) Except, they are paying a boatload to grill them so I gotsta try. Besides, it's a fun challenge. 

BTW - the reason for the 22.5 over the 18 is that Brisket and Ribs get pretty tight on the 18.   You wind up having to fold the ends of the brisket to fit.  For Ribs, you have to cut the slabs in half (actually not a huge sacrifice having done it).  18 gets the job done, but 22.5 is a good upgrade for the $100. 

Yours truly,

WSM18 owner
I have the WSM18 but I mostly do babybacks and space has been okay. I make a pinwheel out of each rib and put a skewer through them so they look like @. Cleanup of skewer is much easier than rib racks. Later I flatten them out for 321. (More like 2.5/1.5/45 minutes)

For briskets, I've done mostly flats not a full packer. 

I've done 30+ pounds of pork shoulder in the wsm 18. Sure it was tight and it looked like a homicide scene afterwards but....

Only time I wish I had more space is when I've done wings. I dont use the bottom grate for that since I need to flip.

One knock I've heard on the larger WSM is that the fuel consumption increase is larger than the smoking size increase.

(Not sure if fuel type matters i.e. briquettes vs lump)

Wow they sound delicious
Well the big problem is the dough sticking to the grate so your options are

- wrap them in something that won't stick like bacon or vidalia onion. Maybe even bulk sausage like Scotch eggs

- put them in a pan with oil or sauce. Not sure if that counts as grilling. Maybe use a plancha?

- skewer them with something larger that will keep the pierogies off the grill. Plum tomatoes?More onions?

And in all cases I'm not sure if parboiling first will be required

Not really sure as I haven't tried them yet but according to Malcolm Reed in the video these are similar to Pork Belly Burnt Ends but next level. 
Malcolm is a really cool dude. I've talked with him a few times online via social media, but finally got to meet him at the World Food Championships last November. Just a really outstanding guy. As genuine as can be. We might be doing some work together at some point. He only lives a few hours from me. 

Does anyone have the Thermoworks Smoke thermometer?  If so what do you think?

Link

Im looking for something in the $100 range and this seems to check the boxes. 

We are just starting a patio renovation and my old Weber propane didn't seem so bad until I started looking at built-in grills.  Unfortunately,  those things get pricey quick.  Anyone have any recommendations on built-in natural gas?  Leaning towards Bull.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. 

Going to fire up the new grill today for the first time. We bought it during winter on a great sale. My concern is we had a monster blizzard with winds close to 100 mph that picked up this huge grill and threw it close to 15-20 feet across the yard. I went and got a new propane tank just because i didn’t trust the old tank to not be damaged during its “flight”. Man, I hope there isn’t something damaged in this thing and I end up in the ER. 

Going to fire up the new grill today for the first time. We bought it during winter on a great sale. My concern is we had a monster blizzard with winds close to 100 mph that picked up this huge grill and threw it close to 15-20 feet across the yard. I went and got a new propane tank just because i didn’t trust the old tank to not be damaged during its “flight”. Man, I hope there isn’t something damaged in this thing and I end up in the ER. 
That really sucks. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread