What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (7 Viewers)

Anyone with a quick recipe for Cod? Gonna go some KC Strip tonight, but the wife has a piece of Cod we need to cook. Gonna throw it on the grill. Gimme something easy with readily available ingredients. Thanks in advance.

:banned:
Try it en papillote

good method for cooking fish on the grill, and if you don't have parchment, use foil and make a pouch. Add the fish, some fat, some veggies and herbs, and wa-la!

Thanks @Coeur de Lion and @ProstheticRGK.

Wife was a little skeptical, as she wanted "grilled" fish. I told her to trust my boys from the FFA. She looked at me like, WTF are you talking about? I did not explain.

Anyway, did a combo of your suggestions and turned out great. She is removing her panties as we speak. Be back in 2 minutes.
Ah, good thinking- stopping to pee beforehand. Reduces the risk of transmitting a UTI.

Glad it turned out well, brother :thumbup:

And as noted earlier, higher temp = crispy skin.

I smoked some thighs low/slow and the skin was like shoe leather.  Delicious shoe leather, mind you, but chewy nonetheless.
Is the meat still as good?  I went with my usual 225-250 today.  But most of the skin isn't edible.  I've done it like this dozens of times and it's so damn good, I've never even thought, "I wish I had more skin".

Is the meat still as good?  I went with my usual 225-250 today.  But most of the skin isn't edible.  I've done it like this dozens of times and it's so damn good, I've never even thought, "I wish I had more skin".
Yeah, the meat won't suffer as long as you don't overcook it.  You could also smoke at a lower temp, then pull it a little early and throw it skin-side down on a hot grill for a minute to crisp the skin.

My 1st attempt at beef jerky on the WSM turned out fairly well. Next time I want to add some cheese.  Anyone ever smoke up some cheese?  I'm thinking swiss, colby jack & pepper jack should pair nicely with jerky.  Cold smoke with a piece of pecan or apple wood.

My 1st attempt at beef jerky on the WSM turned out fairly well. Next time I want to add some cheese.  Anyone ever smoke up some cheese?  I'm thinking swiss, colby jack & pepper jack should pair nicely with jerky.  Cold smoke with a piece of pecan or apple wood.
I do it all the time, use a small tin and wood chips, place it just above the water pan in my WSM.

Wife got me the Oklahoma Joe Highland Smoker.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-Smoker-Grill-Black/33605961

My pervious experience with  smoking has been the occasional soaked wood chips thrown on burning charcoal.  I'm stoked,  but wondering what I've gotten myself into. 

A perusal of the smoking meats forum shows a bunch of dudes modding their same units with all kinds of stuff: seals between the fire chamber and smoking chamber, elbow vents from the chamber to pipe, adding electronic thermometers,  even some Optimus Prime looking **** where a dude attached a blower to the fire chamber.

Should I be doing some or all of these things? I'm a total noob to a smoker and don't know if I would notice a difference.  

Also - recommended sources for a total beginner to smoking? I need really basic stuff like, "this is where the fire goes" type of stuff and recipes.

Wife got me the Oklahoma Joe Highland Smoker.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-Smoker-Grill-Black/33605961

My pervious experience with  smoking has been the occasional soaked wood chips thrown on burning charcoal.  I'm stoked,  but wondering what I've gotten myself into. 

A perusal of the smoking meats forum shows a bunch of dudes modding their same units with all kinds of stuff: seals between the fire chamber and smoking chamber, elbow vents from the chamber to pipe, adding electronic thermometers,  even some Optimus Prime looking **** where a dude attached a blower to the fire chamber.

Should I be doing some or all of these things? I'm a total noob to a smoker and don't know if I would notice a difference.  

Also - recommended sources for a total beginner to smoking? I need really basic stuff like, "this is where the fire goes" type of stuff and recipes.
"Stoked"?

:unsure:

:excited:

Best thing I ever did was buy Steve Raichlen's "BBQ Bible",.

TheFanatic's blog grillinfools is pretty good too.

My wife wants to get a grill soon so we can entertain in the summer. But I'm a rookie at grills/BBQs as I've always been a pan sear guy.

what's a good stand-up grill for basic backyard patio meals? Can we get one (that we don't have to assemble) for under $150?

eta, gas is preferable I think

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not familiar with that smoker, but I'd say use it and get to know it before investing in any mods.  Pick up a good grill probe and meat thermometer.  Don't trust the one on the smoker as they can be off by a lot.

Pick up a bag of some chunk smoking wood.  Apple/pecan/hickory etc.  Read up on the different woods.  Hickory & mesquite will give a much stronger smoke flavor than apple or pecan.

Yes you want to make some of the mods you mention if not all.  I'll prioritize what I think are most important.

You need to build a baffle, this will be placed in the opening between your firebox and your smoking chamber.  It can be as simple as a aluminum pan cut and placed in the chamber open side facing towards the fire box.  the purpose for this is to prevent flames from directly hitting your food in the smoking chamber that is closest to your firebox.  If you have a FOTKI account you can see an example here

http://public.sexpal.eu/Meglamaniac/smoking/smoking/dsc02317.html

An optimal baffle would be some metal cut in the shape of a half circle attached to a pole that allows you to move the baffle up and down, thus allowing you to control the size of the of the opening from your firebox to the smoking chamber

http://public.sexpal.eu/Meglamaniac/new-smoker/dsc03796.html#media

Smoke Diffuser plates place at the bottom of your smoking chamber, they force the air/smoke from the firebox down to the bottom of the smoking chamber.  They should be placed about 1 inch apart so that there are gaps that hot air/smoke can escape through.  This will help give you an even smoke and help keep your temps even throughout the smoking chamber.  Cheap version could be the bottom of large time, but 1/4 inch steel cut to size is best

http://public.sexpal.eu/Meglamaniac/smoking/smoking/dsc02318.html

A charcoal chamber that allows you to use the minion method, something like this

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188363

If the smoke stack does not extend down deep into your chamber, 4 or 5 inches from the grates you may want to extend it, this is not a much needed mod IMHO

If you find you are have trouble getting your fuel to burn then adding some dampers may be needed, if you are having trouble burning too hot you may want to try sealing your firebox door with oven rope

http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Stove-3-8-in-Rope-Gasket-Kit-DGK2/202516617?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D28I-Fireplaces|&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnIm7BRDSs42KxLS8-6YBEiQAfDWP6FtgvQpua4Q_nLrjGS9ZOblgMDHhjWa_Mn5fqRxhVkYaAt8t8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Adding a thermometer is nice if your unit doesn't have one but not crucial, you can get by using probe thermometers like any of the Maverick series.

As to your last request youtube can be a great source of visual knowledge, just search horizontal smokers, here is one that looks similar to yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1veMrDOC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DXN9mrMNzQ

Also I have many years of experience with both patio and large trailer horizontals so I will help when and where I can

Enjoy.

I'm sure @Megla is giving you great tips for your horizontal smoker, it sounds like you're very new to smoking.  I was too a few months ago - and I'm certainly not an expert.  Having just gone through being a total noob, I can say that no matter what you do just have fun with it and enjoy what you cook.  You're not trying to impress judges, so stick to the basics for now.  A good grill probe (like the Maverick) is a great place to start.  You can also spend a few $$ less and get a thermopro.  The important thing with smoking is "low and slow".  You need to cook to an internal temp and not to a clock.  Cook times will be long, ranging from 2 hours to possibly 12-14 hours depending on the meats.  Knowing the cook temp at the grate is important throughout the process which is why a good probe is highly recommended.

Do your initial research on what types of smoke woods are good for the meat you're cooking.  Also experiment the type of fuel you want (lump vs. briquettes).  Have fun, take notes, see what you like and what you don't.  Get to know your smoker and tweak it as you see fit.

If you're on Facebook, search for some low and slow BBQ groups.  Its been a great source of knowledge for me.

New to smoking, about 2.5 months.   I've done 3 briskets, 4 racks of ribs and the equivalent of 5 chickens (in large parts and wings).  I heart my smoker.  It's a license to stick around the house on a Sunday.  Leave the house to buy a coffee a paper and pick up some charcoal early on.   Come home and light her up.  Wife and kid wake up and hang out with them.   Put the meat on and hang out in he pool..... Murica!

Got three racks of ribs for father day and I have a cousin coming over who.... No jokes please... Wants to smoke some sausage.   Any tips?

New to smoking, about 2.5 months.   I've done 3 briskets, 4 racks of ribs and the equivalent of 5 chickens (in large parts and wings).  I heart my smoker.  It's a license to stick around the house on a Sunday.  Leave the house to buy a coffee a paper and pick up some charcoal early on.   Come home and light her up.  Wife and kid wake up and hang out with them.   Put the meat on and hang out in he pool..... Murica!

Got three racks of ribs for father day and I have a cousin coming over who.... No jokes please... Wants to smoke some sausage.   Any tips?
Sausage is virtually impossible to screw up.  It cooks pretty quick too.

Brony said:
Yep. Put sausage on smoker. Have a few beers. Put sausage in yo mouth. Enjoy. 
Interesting. Will have to try. I've done pretty much everything under the moon in my smoker except sausage & lamb. 

I went to the butcher today and had him slice me up 2 lbs of thick cut bacon to wrap the sausage in.

cant wait

I love Costco for meat but my local one never has brisket switch the point, only the flat.

i need to find a "real" brisket.

Doing a smallish ( 4 pounds) brisket tomorrow

only my second time doing a brisket but basically plan for an hour and a half per pound at 2:25 degrees until I get to around 200° internal temp

Then foil and wrapping a towel and throw it in the cooler for an hour or so?

does all that seem reasonable? Just trying to get a rough idea for a planning perspective for other sides

Doing a smallish ( 4 pounds) brisket tomorrow

only my second time doing a brisket but basically plan for an hour and a half per pound at 2:25 degrees until I get to around 200° internal temp

Then foil and wrapping a towel and throw it in the cooler for an hour or so?

does all that seem reasonable? Just trying to get a rough idea for a planning perspective for other sides
Probably in the ballpark, yeah.  I personally prefer 203-205 internal temp, but that's a personal preference thing.

Doing a Boston butt tomorrow.  My last three have turned out really well, so I'm going to branch out slightly and try to do the money muscle thing.  Never tried that before.

Cool...my probe that tells me meat temp decided to malfunction today (reading over 250 degrees in ambient)

I'll just have to check occasionally with old dial probe

Thanks for all the tips and links, everyone.  The book and ribs website look like $$.  

Honestly, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as I thought this would be fairly easy to assemble and just start cooking.  I didn't realize I would have to do so much in the way of modifications to the unit.  And reading through recipes and watching YouTube videos I realize I have no clue what I'm doing.

Not sure how much modding I'm going to do at this point as I don't have the tools or ability to custom-make metal baffles (I'll try and go the aluminum pan for a while to feel that out), cut sheet metal for diffusers and all of that.  The temp probes should be easy enough.  

Looks like I'll be doing some trial and error here.   :football:   Wish I could one of you guys over here to just show me what to do.  

Thanks again, guys!  I'm sure I'll be back with more ?s.

rail said:
Thanks for all the tips and links, everyone.  The book and ribs website look like $$.  

Honestly, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as I thought this would be fairly easy to assemble and just start cooking.  I didn't realize I would have to do so much in the way of modifications to the unit.  And reading through recipes and watching YouTube videos I realize I have no clue what I'm doing.

Not sure how much modding I'm going to do at this point as I don't have the tools or ability to custom-make metal baffles (I'll try and go the aluminum pan for a while to feel that out), cut sheet metal for diffusers and all of that.  The temp probes should be easy enough.  

Looks like I'll be doing some trial and error here.   :football:   Wish I could one of you guys over here to just show me what to do.  

Do yourself and your wallet a favor and do whole chickens or thighs/leg quarters early on while you are getting the feel for your smoker.  Simple brine them, 12 hours on the whole birds, 3 or 4 on the parted chicken.  This gives you lots of room for error while still producing edible food.

Not doing the mods in not troublesome in that you can't make quality food without them, it just means you are going to have to tend to your smoker much more during the cook(s) than you would with the mods and frankly for some that means more time outside with beer and that's not a bad thing.

Do yourself and your wallet a favor and do whole chickens or thighs/leg quarters early on while you are getting the feel for your smoker.  Simple brine them, 12 hours on the whole birds, 3 or 4 on the parted chicken.  This gives you lots of room for error while still producing edible food.

Not doing the mods in not troublesome in that you can't make quality food without them, it just means you are going to have to tend to your smoker much more during the cook(s) than you would with the mods and frankly for some that means more time outside with beer and that's not a bad thing.
:goodposting:

A pork shoulder is damn near impossible to botch too.  Buy one from the supermarket, slather it with a thin layer of yellow mustard, sprinkle on a rub, wrap it in plastic and jam it in the fridge overnight.  Next morning, heat the smoker to 225, jam the shoulder in, and just let it go until it hits 195 or so.  Wrap it in foil, then a towel, and put it in your oven (off) or a cooler (no ice) for 2-3 hours and bust it up with forks.  Serve with rolls, BBQ sauce, and cole slaw on the side and you'll have a lot of happy people around.  It's virtually idiot proof as long as you can maintain temp (I have an electric smoker, so that's done for me with no modding.)  You can feed a family of 6 easily for about $20 and probably still have leftovers as long as you don't invite my brothers over.

I also inject mine with an apple juice/cider vinegar/spices mixture, but this is entirely unnecessary and highly optional.

A pork shoulder is damn near impossible to botch too.  Buy one from the supermarket, slather it with a thin layer of yellow mustard, sprinkle on a rub, wrap it in plastic and jam it in the fridge overnight.  Next morning, heat the smoker to 225, jam the shoulder in, and just let it go until it hits 195 or so.  Wrap it in foil, then a towel, and put it in your oven (off) or a cooler (no ice) for 2-3 hours and bust it up with forks.  Serve with rolls, BBQ sauce, and cole slaw on the side and you'll have a lot of happy people around.  It's virtually idiot proof as long as you can maintain temp (I have an electric smoker, so that's done for me with no modding.)  You can feed a family of 6 easily for about $20 and probably still have leftovers as long as you don't invite my brothers over.

I also inject mine with an apple juice/cider vinegar/spices mixture, but this is entirely unnecessary and highly optional.

AND BE PATIENT! There will be a time when the internal temperature doesn't rise for awhile. That does not mean the damn thing is ready. It needs to reach 195. Just leave it on and keep the fire lit

proninja said:
I didn't crutch or inject, just cooked to 203 and let it rest for a couple hours before serving. 

This week I didn't dry brine, just coated with rub and injected with broth. I also crutched at 150 and put a cup of broth in the foil. Looking forward to seeing the differences. :thumbup:

proninja said:
www.amazingribs.com

Go there. Reap rewards. 
I can tell you've been to Meathead's site.  I also like to cook to 202-203.  At 203 that bone (from shoulder) will just slide out.  I didn't realize it until a few days ago, but he also published a book this spring.  I may buy it but, really, the amazingribs website is a wealth of info in itself.  

proninja said:
Yeah, I bought a BGE a few years ago, and meathead's site was my first introduction to cooking aside from a recipe here and there. I haven't bought the book yet, but I kind of want to just because the website has been so helpful and I'd like to support him. 
I've wanted a BGE... the wife laughed at me when I told her I wanted one.  Not sure why, but she's a penny-pincher.  I got a masterbuilt smoker a few years ago and have liked it very much.  What rubs have you tried/liked?

I didn't care as much for his "memphis dust" as some of the others I've tried.  For chicken, Plowboys Yard Bird is my favorite.  For pork, I like the John Henry Pecan rub a lot... and The BBQ Rub from Killer Hogs.  

rail said:

youtube and Facebook groups are where I got most of my start up info.  Like I mentioned, you're not trying to win any competitions.  Anything you cook will be awesome!  Our favorite thing so far is pork loin.  Simple pork rub and an optional injection (apple cider vinegar & apple juice mix) and smoke over either apple or hickory at 225 - 240.  A 4 pounder will only take 2 hours or so to get to 155 internal temp.  Slice as thin as you can.  Great as a sandwich on a toasted roll with some sauce (Sweet Baby Rays) and spoonful of slaw.

Oh, and another vote for amazingribs.com.

proninja said:
At least not until you have friends over
My friends aren't as picky as competition judges.  My point is the mods can wait.  Start cooking and enjoy.  Work on modding it up as you see what needs to be done.

proninja said:
I'm going to have to try some of those rubs. I've enjoyed memphis dust on pork quite a bit, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. I've used that exclusively on pork, and there's a local chef named Tom Douglas whose rubs I can get at Costco, and I use his beef rub for brisket and salmon rub for salmon. The salmon rub I really enjoy, and the beef rub is fine. It's meh. I'll probably buy something else when I'm out of the tub I've got. 
I've discovered that I like chicken grilled more than smoked.   The yard bird rub rocks on grilled chicken wings/quarters.  I like the pecan rub and the Killer Hogs rub on pork, but I'll admit I don't care much for an excessive amount of spice/heat.  These are more sugar based and just a little heat but taste great imo.  Wife loves them too.  

Last salmon I cooked I did the cedar plank thing on the grill.  Turned out delicious.  

Last brisket I smoked, I injected a little beef broth, but no rub other than salt and pepper.  Cut some burnt ends and grilled them afterwards.  Turned out good, but briskets are not cheap.  I can get a pork shoulder and/or tenderloin much much cheaper (military commissary). So we do them more often.  

On vacation I used my BIL's horizontal, first time using one. What I learned is I can BBQ really well on anything, now it was a shoulder so very hard to mess that up, but it still was really good. Couple of things I didn't like is that no water bowl or diffuser so we had to rotate the meat around the smoker. Also very little ash space under the charcoal which meant cleaning out hot ash to keep the temps up. That's fun!

I didn't bring my spices for making Hawaiian style so just went with garlic, salt, pepper and brown sugar and sprayed with Pineapple juice throughout the cook. Turned out really good, not as good as my typical shoulder, think that was related to missing two things...the Red Alae salt and the pineapple and brown sugar injection.

Ok.  Looking to finally buy a smoker.  I have never smoked before so i guess easier is best as i begin to learn to smoke.  Looking for something i can use for chargoal grilling as well as smoking. 

The ones i have seen which look good are:

Oklahoma Joe which i saw up thread needs a few mods

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-Smoker-Grill-Black/33605961

Charbroil offset

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-American-Gourmet-Offset-Standard/dp/B00365FI9E/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1467462338&sr=1-1&keywords=offset+smoker&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Weber Kettle 22in w/smokenator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HS_gyFBbww

Any thoughts on these for an entry level person looking to learn how to smoke? 

Thanks

proninja said:
I'm going to have to try some of those rubs. I've enjoyed memphis dust on pork quite a bit, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. I've used that exclusively on pork, and there's a local chef named Tom Douglas whose rubs I can get at Costco, and I use his beef rub for brisket and salmon rub for salmon. The salmon rub I really enjoy, and the beef rub is fine. It's meh. I'll probably buy something else when I'm out of the tub I've got. 
Shameless plug for my homies

Ok.  Looking to finally buy a smoker.  I have never smoked before so i guess easier is best as i begin to learn to smoke.  Looking for something i can use for chargoal grilling as well as smoking. 

Charbroil offset

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-American-Gourmet-Offset-Standard/dp/B00365FI9E/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1467462338&sr=1-1&keywords=offset+smoker&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Thanks
I would avoid the really cheap CharBroil.  I would expect very thin metal, and lots of air leaks with that, both of which will make it a PITA to hold a steady temp.  Also, since smoke likes to go up, not sideways, horizontal smokers may need internal baffles to ensure even smoke distribution.

I've got a vertical offset (Brinkmann Trailmaster) - still not expensive, but it gets around the smoke flow issues of a horizontal. Downside is you really can't grill on it (it does have a small grate that goes in the firebox but that seems impractical.  Here's a Serious Eats article on good smokers under $500

Charbroil offset

Thanks
I wouldn't recommend the offset.  I have one that I bought without doing research and later found out they aren't ideal for smoking

it can be done and I've made some good meat on it, but you really have to tend it

pro: I like it as a grill, and as someone who smokes a handful of times a year it's nice having just one apparatus

con: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html

I wouldn't recommend the offset.  I have one that I bought without doing research and later found out they aren't ideal for smoking

it can be done and I've made some good meat on it, but you really have to tend it

pro: I like it as a grill, and as someone who smokes a handful of times a year it's nice having just one apparatus

con: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html
Highly recommend browsing the reviews on that site before buying.

Charbroil offset

Thanks
Weber Smokey Mountain, either the 18" or the 22" depending on how much you wanna cook.  Research it, you won't find a bad review.  And Weber's customer service is excellent too.

Weber Smokey Mountain, either the 18" or the 22" depending on how much you wanna cook.  Research it, you won't find a bad review.  And Weber's customer service is excellent too.
That looks good.  However, you can only smoke with that correct?  I cant grill(direct heat) on it?

Users who are viewing this thread