What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

That looks good.  However, you can only smoke with that correct?  I cant grill(direct heat) on it?
I've read in forums some people remove the water bowl and cook directly over the coals,  but I wouldn't want that as my primary grill. The wsm though is probably the easiest charcoal smoker you can get. 

Do you have the space to get something cheap off Craigslist for grilling?

Going to smoke short ribs again this weekend. This has became now my favorite cut of beef. Course salt and course cracked pepper over Apple wood smoke.  Doesn't get any simpler than that. 

I've read in forums some people remove the water bowl and cook directly over the coals,  but I wouldn't want that as my primary grill. The wsm though is probably the easiest charcoal smoker you can get. 

:goodposting: Don't overthink it. These are worth every penny. And second avoiding the charbroil crap. 

hmm now you have me thinking about the WSM.  It does seem like a much easier grill to learn on.  ok.  18 in or 22.5 in?  Can i smoke a turkey on the 18? 

hmm now you have me thinking about the WSM.  It does seem like a much easier grill to learn on.  ok.  18 in or 22.5 in?  Can i smoke a turkey on the 18? 
Yes I do a couple every year.  I love my 18 and it's so easy to use.  Smoked 2 8 pound pork butts last week and with a full charcoal ring and about a half a chimney of lit charcoal had that thing at 225 for 14 hours without adding fuel and very little adjusting.  Mine's well seasoned and new ones aren't quite that efficient but I love this smoker.  I've heard the 22's go through quite a bit more charcoal and I've never really had a situation where I wished I had the 22.  Usually cook for 4-8 but the pork butts were for 14 people and I didn't use the lower grate so could've doubled my output. Check out the forums at virtual weber bullet...a ton of great info there.

The wsm is my only grill.  Easy to cook directly over the coals without the water bowl.  Fantastic as a smoker and a grill.

Going to smoke short ribs again this weekend. This has became now my favorite cut of beef. Course salt and course cracked pepper over Apple wood smoke.  Doesn't get any simpler than that. 
Butcher game me some Hawaiian red salt to try out.  :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips.  Going to pick up a weber smokey mountain and try a first smoke on Monday.  Any tips for a first timer?  I have been reading i need to do a test smoke at some point prior? 

Thanks for the tips.  Going to pick up a weber smokey mountain and try a first smoke on Monday.  Any tips for a first timer?  I have been reading i need to do a test smoke at some point prior? 
There are differing opinions about seasoning it first.  There's a site with long-drawn out instructions about it and other people say there's no need.  I did a high temp burn before actually cooking, but not the full seasoning.  Just let it season naturally as you cook.

Some things you'll want to stock up on sooner rather than later:

• Heavy duty aluminium foil - 18"
  • Clear plastic wrap
  • Foil pans
A great site for info is The Virtual Weber Bullet as well as Amazing Ribs, which has a page for WSM mods.  I haven't done any mods yet and I'm still able smoke great ribs and pork.

I didn't season my WSM before first cook and everything turned out great. 

I would recommend going very easy on the amount of wood you use. Little bit goes a long way.

chimney starter , fire starter cubes, gator gloves, heavy duty aluminum foil and a really good thermometer are the only things I use each cook. 

Did brisket Friday and turned leftovers into burnt ends yesterday . So good 

chimney starter , fire starter cubes, gator gloves, heavy duty aluminum foil and a really good thermometer are the only things I use each cook. 
I mentioned the plastic wrap for rib prep.  I prep my ribs the night before.  Wrap them up tight and put them in the fridge over night.  Then take them out and let them warm up to room temp while I get the smoker going.

Good call on the thermometer/grill probe.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Home Depot & Lowes both have Kingsford blue half price again this weekend.

I didn't season my WSM before first cook and everything turned out great. 

I would recommend going very easy on the amount of wood you use. Little bit goes a long way.

Did brisket Friday and turned leftovers into burnt ends yesterday . So good 
Agree with this. Also may want to pick up the base of a clay pot to put in the water pan as a heat sink.  I use this instead of water mainly because I don't want to deal with the mess afterwards...personal preference.  After Pimps smoker builds up seasoning and he learns the ins and outs he won't even need that.  

Also Pimp places like Lowes and Home Depot typically have great summer holiday weekend sales on Kingsford blue charcoal.  Something like 2 20lb bags for $8.99 something like that.  I always stock up on charcoal during these.

Enjoy the smoker Pimp.

Agree with this. Also may want to pick up the base of a clay pot to put in the water pan as a heat sink.  I use this instead of water mainly because I don't want to deal with the mess afterwards...personal preference.  
You mean in place of the water pan, not in the bowl, right?

Which is another good tip - whatever you're using for indirect heat/heat sink, completely wrap it in foil for easy clean up.

You mean in place of the water pan, not in the bowl, right?

Which is another good tip - whatever you're using for indirect heat/heat sink, completely wrap it in foil for easy clean up.
When I used a Clay pot I'd wrap it in foil and put in the top of the water pan...I guess an extra buffer.  Not sure why and it's probably unnecessary.  I've had my smoker 5 years and now I just wrap the water pan in foil.  I have no problem keeping my smoker in the 225 to 250 range without anything else.

These guys your friends?  

I did go to buy one and I'm fine with the $10 for the Rub....... It was the $14 for the shipping that I took issue with...
Yeah, they're local and friends of mine.  Didn't realize the shipping was that high. Yikes!

ETA - I just went to the site, and noticed it's a flat-rate ship.  I put in 12 jars of rub and it was still $13.45 shipping.  Not that you'd probably want to get 12 jars at a time.

If you'd like to give it a try, PM me your address and I'll see what it would cost to just send you a jar with UPS or FedEx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they're local and friends of mine.  Didn't realize the shipping was that high. Yikes!

ETA - I just went to the site, and noticed it's a flat-rate ship.  I put in 12 jars of rub and it was still $13.45 shipping.  Not that you'd probably want to get 12 jars at a time.

If you'd like to give it a try, PM me your address and I'll see what it would cost to just send you a jar with UPS or FedEx.
Thank you!

i bought a case of rendezvous rub/sauce after I sampled it.... I'd just hate to lay out $100 in rub and find out it wasn't to my liking (although I'm sure it's great).

Ok.  Got the weber SMokey Mountain.  A few questions.  What is an easy piece of meat i can practice with tomorrow?  Ideally, something that takes under 8 hours since im going to calibrate/test smoke in the morning.

Speaking of test smoking.  How long should i test smoke for?  Im told this is good to burn off the chemicals and learn how to get my grill to the right temps. 

proninja said:
Pulled pork is a good, easy one to start with. Check this out. If you've got a big butt (giggle) you can always cut it in half and smoke two halves. More crust that way, and it cooks faster. I think a lot of guys around here have done a spatchcocked chicken as their first cook too.

Awesome great idea.  If i cut in half, should i be able to smoke a butt in under say 8 hours?  How about Chicken?  I figure these two will be easy to find at a supermarket tomorrow(hopefully)

Ok.  Got the weber SMokey Mountain.  A few questions.  What is an easy piece of meat i can practice with tomorrow?  Ideally, something that takes under 8 hours since im going to calibrate/test smoke in the morning.

Speaking of test smoking.  How long should i test smoke for?  Im told this is good to burn off the chemicals and learn how to get my grill to the right temps. 
If you want something nice and short, a 4 lb pork loin will finish in about 2 1/2 hours at 225 - 240.  Rub it up with a basic pork rub and smoke over hickory or apple to an IT of about 150.  Slice as thin as you can.

If you want something nice and short, a 4 lb pork loin will finish in about 2 1/2 hours at 225 - 240.  Rub it up with a basic pork rub and smoke over hickory or apple to an IT of about 150.  Slice as thin as you can.
aight bet.  im going to try and get a boston butt. but if i cant find, will get a loin.  Ill report back with pics.

Also, any feedback on how long i need to burn with no food(test burn) prior to using it? 

Spares. 3-2-1 method.

Eta: can't screw this up

Gonna throw a few racks on tomorrow and then when the ribs are getting close, smoke a few stuffed portobello mushroom caps - ricotta, spinich, parm, garlic topped with panko. Havent smoked port caps yet so interested to see how they turn out.  Should be a gorgeous day out so can't help but fire up the ole WSM.  

ok another question in preparation for my first smoke.  How much wood do i put in. I got hickory if that matters.

ok another question in preparation for my first smoke.  How much wood do i put in. I got hickory if that matters.
I'm only familiar with chunks, not chips, but hickory is pretty potent. 2 lemon sized chunks are good ; 3 can be smoke overkill depending on your tastes.

good luck and enjoy! Even bad BBQ is still pretty f'ing good in my book, so enjoy the learning curve and don't over-nerd things.

I ended up buying the WSM. I got the 22.5" and it payed off today. I cooked three 7lb Butts overnight and took them off after 10 hours and put on 4 racks of babybacks. I honestly think they were the best ribs I've ever cooked. Same with the butts. This was only my second time cookin a butt and it was pretty damn easy on the WSM. My temp was at 239( per my Maverick 733) when I went to bed @ 3am and when I wke up @ 8 the temp was holding steady @ 236. 

To answer the grill question I purchased a Weber Master touch.

Here are some pics, I think.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p484/birdieking33/20160703_115307.jpg

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p484/birdieking33/20160703_115319.jpg

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p484/birdieking33/20160702_201615.jpg

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p484/birdieking33/20160702_211149.jpg

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p484/birdieking33/20160703_115356.jpg

Did a 2 1/2 pound prime tomahawk from Costco.  Seared then put on the smoker.  Didn't come out as well as I would have liked.  So thick that even though I though I seasoned liberally it was bland.  Had to add salt after I cut it.  Also pulled it a bit early.  Had to put it back on to get true Medium Rare, and that never works.  Went too much the other way.  

ok gents.  I am doing my first test smoke.  so i started with a chimney and have it closed up but the temp says 350.  So i have all the bottom vents closed.  It took about 30 mins but its dropping now.  I assume this will get it down to 250 and then i open the vents again?  Will having all bottom vents closed for this long put out the fire?

Also in case its important im using royal oak lump charcoal.

Second question.  I put in a handful of wood chips but i stopped seeing visible smoke after like 5-10 mins.  so i put like 5 handfuls in.  Should i be using more? Is there too much?  Will i need to continuously feed this thing wood chips?

ok gents.  I am doing my first test smoke.  so i started with a chimney and have it closed up but the temp says 350.  So i have all the bottom vents closed.  It took about 30 mins but its dropping now.  I assume this will get it down to 250 and then i open the vents again?  Will having all bottom vents closed for this long put out the fire?

Second question.  I put in a handful of wood chips but i stopped seeing visible smoke after like 5-10 mins.  so i put like 5 handfuls in.  Should i be using more? Is there too much?  Will i need to continuously feed this thing wood chips?
Yes you will have to open the vents again to maintain your desired temp. dependent upon the weather conditions (how windy it is, air temp,rain, etc) you may have to have all of the vents open or only one or two etc.  it eill take several minutes for the temp to reflect the changes to vent positions so be patient.  

I use wood chunks vs wood chips as the chips burn up fast. You want to avoid opening the smoker too often as you lose heat quickly.  And there is only so much smoke meat can absorb so you dont need to have "smoke" for your whole cook.  

Yes you will have to open the vents again to maintain your desired temp. dependent upon the weather conditions (how windy it is, air temp,rain, etc) you may have to have all of the vents open or only one or two etc.  it eill take several minutes for the temp to reflect the changes to vent positions so be patient.  

I use wood chunks vs wood chips as the chips burn up fast. You want to avoid opening the smoker too often as you lose heat quickly.  And there is only so much smoke meat can absorb so you dont need to have "smoke" for your whole cook.  
Ok.  So i finally got the temp down to 257.  But all of the vents on the bottom are still closed. 

Also i have found these chips when used smoke for about 30 minutes when i use 4 handfuls.  tried to find some chunk but couldnt so ill worry about that this week.  I dont have any food on it so im going to sit here and play with the temp for a few hours.  then toss on some chicken thighs and smoke them since they are quick...

ETA:  Just added water to the water bowl.... .will see if that helps control the temp.  :popcorn:

Ok.  So i finally got the temp down to 257.  But all of the vents on the bottom are still closed. 

Also i have found these chips when used smoke for about 30 minutes when i use 4 handfuls.  tried to find some chunk but couldnt so ill worry about that this week.  I dont have any food on it so im going to sit here and play with the temp for a few hours.  then toss on some chicken thighs and smoke them since they are quick...

ETA:  Just added water to the water bowl.... .will see if that helps control the temp.  :popcorn:
Yeah, water will help as a heat sink and will help with temp control.  

Home depot (at least the ones around here) carry wood chunks as do the ace hardwares   

Many people use the lump and swear by it.  But from what I understand (I've never used it) it burns hotter and quicker.  Since you're just getting started, you may want to pick up some bags of briquettes until temp control is easier for you.  I'm very much a newbie with about 10 cooks on the WSM under my belt.  This weekend was the first time I actually felt like I had control over the temps.  I'm learning patience and trying not to overcompensate in my adjustments.

Definitely chunks rather than chips - and don't soak them.  Hot water creates steam, not smoke.  And as others have mentioned, the meat will only absorb smoke for so long anyway and dry chunks will provide plenty.  2-4 fist-sized chunks should be fine.

In addition to all the great links posted in here, I found lots of info on youtube (just search Weber Smokey Mountain) and various Facebook groups (smoke meat low and slow, fans of the weber smokey mountain).

Many people use the lump and swear by it.  But from what I understand (I've never used it) it burns hotter and quicker.  Since you're just getting started, you may want to pick up some bags of briquettes until temp control is easier for you.  I'm very much a newbie with about 10 cooks on the WSM under my belt.  This weekend was the first time I actually felt like I had control over the temps.  I'm learning patience and trying not to overcompensate in my adjustments.

Definitely chunks rather than chips - and don't soak them.  Hot water creates steam, not smoke.  And as others have mentioned, the meat will only absorb smoke for so long anyway and dry chunks will provide plenty.  2-4 fist-sized chunks should be fine.

In addition to all the great links posted in here, I found lots of info on youtube (just search Weber Smokey Mountain) and various Facebook groups (smoke meat low and slow, fans of the weber smokey mountain).
Thanks.  very helpful.  So when you say meat can only obsorb smoke for so long, do you put the chunks on later in the smoke process?  Or do you take them out? 

Thanks.  very helpful.  So when you say meat can only obsorb smoke for so long, do you put the chunks on later in the smoke process?  Or do you take them out? 
No, the chunks go on when I light the coals (minion method) and just let them burn out with the coals.

I just tried a different method of lighting the coals this weekend that worked well too.  Light a full chimney of coals and dump in the coal ring when ready.  Then add a full chimney of unlit coals on top with the wood on top of them.  Assemble the WSM and close all bottom vents (top vent always remains open 100%).  Let it slowly come up to temp before adding meat.  Of course, do this with a full water bowl (foiled inside and out).

No, the chunks go on when I light the coals (minion method) and just let them burn out with the coals.

I just tried a different method of lighting the coals this weekend that worked well too.  Light a full chimney of coals and dump in the coal ring when ready.  Then add a full chimney of unlit coals on top with the wood on top of them.  Assemble the WSM and close all bottom vents (top vent always remains open 100%).  Let it slowly come up to temp before adding meat.  Of course, do this with a full water bowl (foiled inside and out).
Ill try this my next smoke!  i think it was not having water that has thrown me off

Yep, I've done 2 cooks so far on my WSM and have filled the water pan up about 3/4 the way each time. Yesterday morning when I pulled my Butts off and put my ribs on I had to add some more water. That was after 11 hours. 

Wal-Mart as well as my local Bi-Lo has wood chunks as well. The Wal-Marts around here have Hickory, Apple, Pecan, Cherry, Oak, and Mesquite. The Bi-Lo sells Apple, Cherry, and Mini Log Hickory. I love these.http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p484/birdieking33/20160704_124611.jpg

I plan on using nothing but Kingsford Blue in my WSM.

I don't have enough experience with this but I have read and heard on YouTube that by using water in the water pan  you can't get as nice of a bark. I don't know. The bark on my ribs turned out pretty nice yesterday. Some people swear by water and some don't. Once I get my WSM seasoned really well I may experiment a little with this. 

I don't have enough experience with this but I have read and heard on YouTube that by using water in the water pan  you can't get as nice of a bark. I don't know. The bark on my ribs turned out pretty nice yesterday. Some people swear by water and some don't. Once I get my WSM seasoned really well I may experiment a little with this. 
I read that as well which is why i didnt use it at first.  But i simply couldnt get the temp down low enough without it

So had my temp drop to below 200 after i tossed on some thighs.  Paniced.  Added more charcoal, no dice.  stirred the charcoal around, that did the trick.

This is tricky stuff!!  Its at 230 now.  trying to bring it up to 250 for the thighs. 

Users who are viewing this thread