What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

For direct/Indirect grilling,  just dump them on one side. I try to be relatively even but it's not pretty. I worry more about trying to make sure the hot coals aren't too close to the cooking grate.

Chimney: Just wait till flames are billowing out of the top of the chimney, and you should see nice white ash around the coals in the bottom half of the chimney. This isn't an exact science. Dumping 5 mins too early/late won't mean the cook is ruined. Don't worry :)

Butts should be rested at least an hour IMO. 

Talk to me about some of those marinades im seeing.  What you got going on with that chicken?
All of the meat is pork. 

I used some pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder first on all sides. I came back with a little Montreal Steak Seasoning, then went back over everything with some Willie's Hog Dust

About 2 hours in I transferred My ribs and pork steaks into pans. One this and pineapple juice and the other with SBR's original and pineapple juice for another couple hours until internal Temp reached 195. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So my first butt turned out great.  But parts of it like near the bone werent as tender as other parts.  Not sure if i should have flipped the butt, kept it on all the way to 203 or let it rest longer(i only let it rest for about 35 mins).  Or maybe i need to foil. 

Guess i will have to try again in a few weeks. 
Did the bone pull out cleanly?  If it didn't you probably could have used another 5-10 degrees or so.  And I do think at least an hour of rest is better than the 35 minutes.  But it sure does look like you did a fine job for your first time.  :thumbup:

Did the bone pull out cleanly?  If it didn't you probably could have used another 5-10 degrees or so.  And I do think at least an hour of rest is better than the 35 minutes.  But it sure does look like you did a fine job for your first time.  :thumbup:
The bone did pull out clean. So i will take it. 

proninja said:
PSA: Costco sells the rub mixture they use on their preseasoned ribs now. It's pretty tasty. Just used it on a tenderloin I smoked, and I was very pleased. It was cheap too. 
Not at mine :kicksrock:

So my first butt turned out great.  But parts of it like near the bone werent as tender as other parts.  Not sure if i should have flipped the butt, kept it on all the way to 203 or let it rest longer(i only let it rest for about 35 mins).  Or maybe i need to foil. 

Guess i will have to try again in a few weeks. 
Technically you don't want to rest the meat, you want to hold it.  Foil is a terrible insulator.  Foil (just so you don't make a mess), then wrap in towels and then put inside a cooler.  At least 45 minutes to an hour, but you can go as long as 4 hours say if you're traveling and want to kill it at grandma's pot luck.  Holding can raise the temp another 5 to 10 degrees so take it off a bit early.  

Another question.  What veggies go well on a smoker?  Anyone smoked a potato or sweet potato?  I have heard people smoke cauliflower.

Another question.  What veggies go well on a smoker?  Anyone smoked a potato or sweet potato?  I have heard people smoke cauliflower.
Corn on he cobb is excellent on the smoker

Stuffed bell peppers or just peppers in general

Tomatoes for sauces/chili

Onions

smoked/baked potatoes are the base for my Hobo Specials

Maybe i will try this. Will be a challenge to get the temp low.  Maybe ill do it towards the end of a smoke.  what kind cheese do you typically smoke?
My attempt at smoking a brick of pepper jack and colby jack came out pretty well. Things I'll do different next time - 3 briquettes (instead of 5) and smoke for only 30 minutes (not an hour +).  Also want to do a brick of swiss.  Should be pretty awesome with some jerky.

Maybe i will try this. Will be a challenge to get the temp low.  Maybe ill do it towards the end of a smoke.  what kind cheese do you typically smoke?
I wouldn't do it at the end of a smoke.  For cheese, all you're trying to do is add smoke, not heat.  I'd imagine at the end of a smoke there isn't much of it left.  You want to light just enough coals to get the smoke wood going.

If you are using a WSM simply buy a tin loaf pan, place 2 or 3 brickets in it and light them, pack the rest of the pan with one or two layers of wood chips and then place in the center of your coal ring.  You can do this with or without the water pan, cheese on top grate, dampers wide open, smoke for 30-45 minutes

If you are using a WSM simply buy a tin loaf pan, place 2 or 3 brickets in it and light them, pack the rest of the pan with one or two layers of wood chips and then place in the center of your coal ring.  You can do this with or without the water pan, cheese on top grate, dampers wide open, smoke for 30-45 minutes
:thumbup: done.

Gents, i think im going to try short ribs tomorrow.  How do yall typically do them?  cook similar to brisket(to 200 and foil at 185?).  Ive seen a few recipes where people take it off the smoker at 185 or so and others where they go up to 200. 

proninja said:
My Link

Didn't get any pre-cooler. I did a dry brine with kosher salt and left uncovered overnight in the fridge. Added paprika and onion powder this morning before smoking. 
I only see a pic of the cooler and smoker(nice smoker btw).  Question, is there a benefit to leaving it uncovered when dry brining?  I have mine dry brining now, but i foiled it.  Should i not have foiled it? 

So i have a 7lb Pork butt on.  Left the skin on it as well.  I havent decided yet if i will make pulled pork or slice it yet.  I will see how long it takes/stalls.  I think i am going to try foiling the pork butt this time.  What temp do folks typically foil?  165?  When i like the bark? 

Also have some Beef Short Ribs on as well and im going to toss a fatty on in about 20 mins. 

Smoker has been around 290 for most of the time so im just going to roll with it.  Was going to aim for 275, but its been pretty steady. 

:popcorn:

So i have a 7lb Pork butt on.  Left the skin on it as well.  I havent decided yet if i will make pulled pork or slice it yet.  I will see how long it takes/stalls.  I think i am going to try foiling the pork butt this time.  What temp do folks typically foil?  165?  When i like the bark? 

Also have some Beef Short Ribs on as well and im going to toss a fatty on in about 20 mins. 

Smoker has been around 290 for most of the time so im just going to roll with it.  Was going to aim for 275, but its been pretty steady. 

:popcorn:
Man, you must be having a party today with all of the food. :thumbup:

I usually wrap my pork butt at around 160-165. I never add any liquid to my foil. You should have plenty of juice in the foil when you are done cooking.

I'm interested in your beef ribs. I've never cooked them but want to. Let me know how you cook these and how they turn out.

I was at Lowe's today, and picked up a new grill brush.  I notice they had a more expensive version that is like a hard plastic, with ceramic built in.  You could only use it on a warm to cool surface, so I wasn't interested.  What is the deal with these?  Are they for a particular application?

All done.  The smoker was right around 290-300 for most of the time.  Pork finished much quicker than expected.  No stall at all that i noticed.  I left the skin on so not sure if that helped the cause.  Pulled it off when probe tender. Which was about 198 in the dead center but most of it was ~205. 

Short ribs - Link  link

Took maybe 3 hours?  They came out great.  But not as tender as when you braise it.  Didnt bother me, but i would probably try foiling next time.  I also did cook them at a high temp so that also could be the reason. 

Fatty - Link

Took about an hour.  Was absolutely delicious.  Will be doing this regularly

Pork Butt - Link

Took ~6.5 hours.  Going to let it rest for about 2.5 hours.  Im curious to see how tender it comes out while cooking it this fast. 

For smoked veggies, I'll smoke a red onion and garlic and mix it in with my pulled pork when feeling frisky.

I'm looking at getting a higher end smoker and wondering if any of you cook on a Yoder or a Mak.  I've read all kinds of reviews, and probably wouldn't go wrong with either, but looking for impressions.

All done.  The smoker was right around 290-300 for most of the time.  Pork finished much quicker than expected.  No stall at all that i noticed.  I left the skin on so not sure if that helped the cause.  Pulled it off when probe tender. Which was about 198 in the dead center but most of it was ~205. 

Short ribs - Link  link

Took maybe 3 hours?  They came out great.  But not as tender as when you braise it.  Didnt bother me, but i would probably try foiling next time.  I also did cook them at a high temp so that also could be the reason. 

Fatty - Link

Took about an hour.  Was absolutely delicious.  Will be doing this regularly

Pork Butt - Link

Took ~6.5 hours.  Going to let it rest for about 2.5 hours.  Im curious to see how tender it comes out while cooking it this fast. 
I was wondering when you said skin??  That's a picnic shoulder not a Boston Butt

Looks good

I'm looking at getting a higher end smoker and wondering if any of you cook on a Yoder or a Mak.  I've read all kinds of reviews, and probably wouldn't go wrong with either, but looking for impressions.
If you are looking to spend money might as well go with the best and look into Meadow Creek smokers.

Shared this in the cooking thread, but should've put it here as well:

Huge going out of business sale at food service warehouse - http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/

Been waiting on something good to replace a bunch of stuff that we got when we got married 13 years ago.  Good brands with good reviews on Amazon at a third of the price (more discount in some cases)

Pinch - AFPN-8 - 8" Natural Finish Aluminum Fry Pan      $3.61 
Pinch - APT-10C - 12-1/2" Aluminum Sauce Pan Cover     $3.25 
Pinch - ASAP-12 - 12" Aluminum Saute Pan      $10.06 
Pinch - ASP-2 - 1-1/2 qt Aluminum Sauce Pan      $3.88 
Pinch - ASP-2C - 6-1/2" Aluminum Sauce Pan Cover     $1.10 
Pinch - SUP-200 - 2 qt Stainless Steel Sauce Pan w/Cover      $8.84 
Pinch - SUP-450 - 4-1/2 qt Induction Ready Stainless Steel Sauce Pan w/Cover     $12.83 

$16 total for shipping.  All in for $60

Shared this in the cooking thread, but should've put it here as well:

Huge going out of business sale at food service warehouse - http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/

Been waiting on something good to replace a bunch of stuff that we got when we got married 13 years ago.  Good brands with good reviews on Amazon at a third of the price (more discount in some cases)

Pinch - AFPN-8 - 8" Natural Finish Aluminum Fry Pan      $3.61 
Pinch - APT-10C - 12-1/2" Aluminum Sauce Pan Cover     $3.25 
Pinch - ASAP-12 - 12" Aluminum Saute Pan      $10.06 
Pinch - ASP-2 - 1-1/2 qt Aluminum Sauce Pan      $3.88 
Pinch - ASP-2C - 6-1/2" Aluminum Sauce Pan Cover     $1.10 
Pinch - SUP-200 - 2 qt Stainless Steel Sauce Pan w/Cover      $8.84 
Pinch - SUP-450 - 4-1/2 qt Induction Ready Stainless Steel Sauce Pan w/Cover     $12.83 

$16 total for shipping.  All in for $60

diff between aluminum and SS? looking at frying pans.

Users who are viewing this thread