What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

So I took Coeur de Badasses advice and did a spice on the pork. Cooked it hot on direct coals. Flattened the tenderloin. 

Came out perfect. I basically diced it up and everyone loved it.

My street taco bar included:

- pork

- chicken

- fresh, homemade tortillas from a local mexican taqueria ( holy #### so good)

- homemade guac

- tomatoes

- homemade pico

- onions

- peppers

- cheese

- cilantro

- radish

- garlic

All veggies were from the farmers market, other than the avocados. Such a great meal.
:pics:

A good friend invited me to his new lake house and we celebrated his purchase with some fine looking t-bones.  I knew I was in trouble when he fired up the gas grill and tossed on the steak 30 seconds later.  What followed next can best be described as a bizarre workout.  Open lid, pierce steaks with fork to flip, move to new position on grill, close lid.  He repeated this routine every minute for the next 20 minutes #####ing the entire time the grill wasn’t getting hot enough. 

I fought my urge to take over the grill but quietly deferred while taking ever longer swigs of beer to keep my mouth shut.  I know this isn’t a unique experience but it is painful to stand by and watch someone massacre a piece of meat. 

On the plus side the house is beautiful, I didn’t call out the chef and I will be invited back for more good times. 

A good friend invited me to his new lake house and we celebrated his purchase with some fine looking t-bones.  I knew I was in trouble when he fired up the gas grill and tossed on the steak 30 seconds later.  What followed next can best be described as a bizarre workout.  Open lid, pierce steaks with fork to flip, move to new position on grill, close lid.  He repeated this routine every minute for the next 20 minutes #####ing the entire time the grill wasn’t getting hot enough. 

I fought my urge to take over the grill but quietly deferred while taking ever longer swigs of beer to keep my mouth shut.  I know this isn’t a unique experience but it is painful to stand by and watch someone massacre a piece of meat. 

On the plus side the house is beautiful, I didn’t call out the chef and I will be invited back for more good times. 
:lmao:  Love it. Been there, done that. It is indeed hard as hell to just bite your tongue.

Multi-stage tailgate today for Steelers-Bears at noon and Pens at 7. Bunch of folks coming for football, probably a few will stay around for dinner / hockey later.

Round 1 just went on -- smoked wings, 1/2 jerk and 1/2 Korean BBQ.

Round 2 will go on around halftime -- bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers, 1/2 cream cheese and half shredded co-jack. Delicious, but a huge PITA to prep so they're like a twice / year deal.

Hot dogs / brats throughout the day for the kids and whoever needs to soak up some beer.

Honey / mustard / thyme glazed pork chops with grilled romaine and a big potato packet for whoever stays for dinner.

S'mores throughout the day as well.

Definitely going to be a great day.  :towelwave:
Sweet baby Jesus, that sounds awesome! 

Did my homegating deal on sunday. Crostini was the first course, followed by pork belly burnt ends, followed by ribs and smoked sausage from Salt Lick as well as the OK Joe's Beans. We had 3 Tri Tips to go on as well, but everyone was stuffed. So into the freezer to be grilled another day. 

Sweet baby Jesus, that sounds awesome! 

Did my homegating deal on sunday. Crostini was the first course, followed by pork belly burnt ends, followed by ribs and smoked sausage from Salt Lick as well as the OK Joe's Beans. We had 3 Tri Tips to go on as well, but everyone was stuffed. So into the freezer to be grilled another day. 
:thumbup: Yeah, everyone had a blast. Think I walked the line pretty well between great food and not having to spend the entire day cooking vs. watching the games. 

:thumbup: Yeah, everyone had a blast. Think I walked the line pretty well between great food and not having to spend the entire day cooking vs. watching the games. 
That was something I tried to do as well. I prepped a lot the day before and that morning so I wouldn't have to do it during the day. The pork belly burnt ends were the ones I made for the post I did on the website. What we didn't eat, I froze in the aluminum pan I cooked them in. Tossed the pan on the Traeger, lid on, and warmed them up. That was a big time saver. 

That was something I tried to do as well. I prepped a lot the day before and that morning so I wouldn't have to do it during the day. The pork belly burnt ends were the ones I made for the post I did on the website. What we didn't eat, I froze in the aluminum pan I cooked them in. Tossed the pan on the Traeger, lid on, and warmed them up. That was a big time saver. 
Yeah, my biggest chunk of time was prepping the poppers, which I did the night before. The wings are pretty much set and forget, as is the actual cooking of the poppers via indirect -- just checked temp / adjusted vents if need be every time I got up to grab a beer from the garage. Dinner was a bit more involved, but that was in between the games that I really cared about and also a quick cook. People pretty much tossed on dogs / brats as they got hungry and helped their kids with s'mores over the coals throughout the day as needed on my secondary grill (Weber kettle). Hit the amount of food just right too as we had just enough left over to scavenge one mixed leftover dinner for my family of four last night.

Shoulder (or maybe ribs) and those indescribably good beans will probably be the star attraction when we do this again next month, I'm guessing.

Yeah, my biggest chunk of time was prepping the poppers, which I did the night before. The wings are pretty much set and forget, as is the actual cooking of the poppers via indirect -- just checked temp / adjusted vents if need be every time I got up to grab a beer from the garage. Dinner was a bit more involved, but that was in between the games that I really cared about and also a quick cook. People pretty much tossed on dogs / brats as they got hungry and helped their kids with s'mores over the coals throughout the day as needed on my secondary grill (Weber kettle). Hit the amount of food just right too as we had just enough left over to scavenge one mixed leftover dinner for my family of four last night.

Shoulder (or maybe ribs) and those indescribably good beans will probably be the star attraction when we do this again next month, I'm guessing.
I rarely make these because of the amount of prep needed. And then, every time I do make them, I invariably make too much. Basically, while I'm at it, I might as well make a few more. Then, when I do finally cook them, there are some left over and that pisses me off because they were such a pain to make. 

I rarely make these because of the amount of prep needed. And then, every time I do make them, I invariably make too much. Basically, while I'm at it, I might as well make a few more. Then, when I do finally cook them, there are some left over and that pisses me off because they were such a pain to make. 
Agreed -- everyone always asks me to make them (I usually make a bunch with the mini bell peppers for non-spicy food folks) after trying them the first time, and I always groan. I end up doing them a few times a year, but it's just a giant pain to core out the peppers and then wrap and tooth pick with bacon. They are really good though.

Agreed -- everyone always asks me to make them (I usually make a bunch with the mini bell peppers for non-spicy food folks) after trying them the first time, and I always groan. I end up doing them a few times a year, but it's just a giant pain to core out the peppers and then wrap and tooth pick with bacon. They are really good though.
I pretty much won't make them unless I have some help for the prep. 

Let's talk sauces for beef. Got a client that wants me to do a recipe and I'm going to reverse sear a beef tenderloin for them. But I want to jazz it up with a sauce. Anyone got a winner? I could go with a simple bernaise (Don't get saucy with me Bernaise!) or maybe beurre blanc. But looking for something more original. I'll hang up and listen....

TheFanatic said:
Let's talk sauces for beef. Got a client that wants me to do a recipe and I'm going to reverse sear a beef tenderloin for them. But I want to jazz it up with a sauce. Anyone got a winner? I could go with a simple bernaise (Don't get saucy with me Bernaise!) or maybe beurre blanc. But looking for something more original. I'll hang up and listen....
I'm always a fan of chimichurri on beef, particularly steak. You can pretty much vary things endlessly with different fresh herbs and different kinds of vinegar. I'm also a fan of a cream sauce with good blue cheese on a good steak. Something with dijon mustard might be an option also.

I'm always a fan of chimichurri on beef, particularly steak. You can pretty much vary things endlessly with different fresh herbs and different kinds of vinegar. I'm also a fan of a cream sauce with good blue cheese on a good steak. Something with dijon mustard might be an option also.
Chimichurri was the first thing I thought of.  Blue cheese is good as well.  Something with bite to cut the richness of the beef.

I estimate I have used this line in daily life about 8,467 times since I watched that movie.  :lol:
And the weirdest part of that for me was that it was probably my 20th viewing of the movie before I got that line. First time I saw it I was like 14 with my dad and more than half the jokes went right over my head. Then one day I was watching it after I knew what a Bernaise sauce was and I was rolling laughing. 

Chimichurri was the first thing I thought of.  Blue cheese is good as well.  Something with bite to cut the richness of the beef.
That's not a bad thought but I just did a steak with a chimichurri not all that long ago. 

Dijon, blue cheese sauce might be a great idea. 

TheFanatic said:
horseradish with anything (or nothing)

got a 15 lb shoulder i am smoking tomorrow on the rec tec....guessing it is gonna be a lengthy cook at 250...

do you guys believe in spritzing during the cook?

got a 15 lb shoulder i am smoking tomorrow on the rec tec....guessing it is gonna be a lengthy cook at 250...

I do but only on long cooks to control color.  With brisket for sure and butt to a lesser extent, I can keep them a nice mahogany color instead of black. But I don't think it helps to keep the meat moist.

I do but only on long cooks to control color.  With brisket for sure and butt to a lesser extent, I can keep them a nice mahogany color instead of black. But I don't think it helps to keep the meat moist.
thanks...just had shoulder surgery yesterday...looking to keep this simple...lol

For me it depends on the spritzing. If I'm doing a dry rub and the rub is dried out and mealy on top because I put the ribs in before the natural liquids in the meat didn't wet the rub, then I will give it an apple juice shower ever so often, but for the most part, I do not use the mister

Last edited by a moderator:
myron mixon uses a white vinegar before applying rub.....thoughts on that?

i hadnt ever heard of it....

i usually spray pork with apple cider vinegar.  Probably doesnt make much of a difference.  though i will suggest bumping that temp up to 275 to save some time. 

ydoc said:

After about 4 hours, when the rub has set, I'll baste a Boston butt with a mixture of apple juice, beer and some of the rub. Sometimes I'll substitute Juicy juice for the apple juice and you get a nice color then.

Gonna do a fatty for poker tonight. Does cream cheese hold up inside a fatty? I was thinking of doing ham, cream cheese and jalapenos/poblanos

Gonna do a fatty for poker tonight. Does cream cheese hold up inside a fatty? I was thinking of doing ham, cream cheese and jalapenos/poblanos
As long as you roll it up tight it will be fine

Poker night, might want to try a peperoni pizza fatty with marinara/mozz cheese/peperoni/onions/peppers 

Very cool idea
So what you do is stuff the fatty piston, and then throw it in the freezer. 30-60 minutes later, roll out the sausage, pull the piston from the freezer and push the contents of the piston onto the sausage, roll it up and perfecto stuffed fatty every time. There was a guy that was selling them online with the proceeds going to charity. I paid $10 for mine.

LOL! 

Years ago when we had very little $ some good older friends were coming to visit us. They had been generous to us many times and we decided to splurge and buy some big fat delmonicos as he was a major carnivore. I was on my way home from work, so my wife asked the guy to cook the steaks on the grill. When I got there my wife had a shocked look on her face. I walked onto the deck and I see flames everywhere and 4 charred beyond recognition pieces of hard rubber. He said since he didn't know how we liked our steaks he just cooked them well done. It was heartbreaking!

TheFanatic said:
Did you do a control group?
No control group but, I have made a ton of ribs so have a pretty good idea of what that taste like with and without.  Honestly, it just did not make a bit of difference.  I typically spray with either apple juice or just water.  I can't tell a difference between those either.  

No control group but, I have made a ton of ribs so have a pretty good idea of what that taste like with and without.  Honestly, it just did not make a bit of difference.  I typically spray with either apple juice or just water.  I can't tell a difference between those either.  
I did the exact same thing when I brined ribs for the first time at the behest of some in here. I brined, sampled and couldn't tell the difference. I reported back as such and was urged to do a control group. It took me probably a year to finally try again with the control group and the difference was startling. And I have made a ton of ribs too. 

Beef Ravioli said:
LOL! 

Years ago when we had very little $ some good older friends were coming to visit us. They had been generous to us many times and we decided to splurge and buy some big fat delmonicos as he was a major carnivore. I was on my way home from work, so my wife asked the guy to cook the steaks on the grill. When I got there my wife had a shocked look on her face. I walked onto the deck and I see flames everywhere and 4 charred beyond recognition pieces of hard rubber. He said since he didn't know how we liked our steaks he just cooked them well done. It was heartbreaking!
my god.  Please call the police.  This person does not deserve to be walking free on the street.  A buddy of mine's wife likes steak.  Every time we go out to dinner she orders the Filet well done then complains that it is dry -  :wall: .  Honestly, i have hard time going to dinner with them. 

I did the exact same thing when I brined ribs for the first time at the behest of some in here. I brined, sampled and couldn't tell the difference. I reported back as such and was urged to do a control group. It took me probably a year to finally try again with the control group and the difference was startling. And I have made a ton of ribs too. 
I actually by the pre brined slabs about 1/2 the time when available.  They come out great. 

my god.  Please call the police.  This person does not deserve to be walking free on the street.  A buddy of mine's wife likes steak.  Every time we go out to dinner she orders the Filet well done then complains that it is dry -  :wall: .  Honestly, i have hard time going to dinner with them. 
:lmao:  That's my SIL -- but she also slathers on the A-1 -- even on prime. She doesn't complain that it's dry, probably because who the hell could tell buried under all of that goop? It takes literally every ounce of self-control that I have to not apologize to the server...

:lmao:  That's my SIL -- but she also slathers on the A-1 -- even on prime. She doesn't complain that it's dry, probably because who the hell could tell buried under all of that goop? It takes literally every ounce of self-control that I have to not apologize to the server...
Don't. They are grateful for it. No matter how great the beef grade is, there's going to be a bad cut or two. Big chunk of fat in the middle, some hard chewing piece across the steak, something. When your SiL orders they go grab that, cook all the tenderness and taste out of it and thus don't have to throw away that chunk they had to pay for. 

Beef Ravioli said:
LOL! 

Well, that way if you don't like them that way he can just put them into the un-grilling-time-machine and take them back down to medium.

:lmao:  That's my SIL -- but she also slathers on the A-1 -- even on prime. 
I was dating this girl years ago, and I took her to one of the iconic steak houses here in Kansas City. We order these beautiful steaks, and the old German waitress who had been there for years brings them out.

My girlfriend asked for some steak sauce.

German waitress (accent and everything): "I will not bring you steak sauce. That is the best steak in Kansas City. You don't need it."

Girlfriend:  :o

Me:  :lol:

Doing steaks tonight for the father-in-laws birthday. Having friends over tomorrow so doing pulled pork, coleslaw potato salad and tomato and cucumber salad. 

My grilling used to be limited to my beach house but since moving from my apartment to a house in brooklyn my amount of grilling has gone up expentionally though not my cooking as I have always been the primary cook in my house. 

Ok, does anyone here own a big green egg or other Kamado grill?  Are they worth the expense?  I have mentioned this before but I recently moved into a house and out of my apartment and still working on my grill set up at the new home where I have lived for about 2 months.  At my beach house, I own a weber kettle grill, a gas grill and a weber smoking mountain.  The house I bought is a brownstone in Brooklyn so it has limited amount of outdoor space and can't see replicating the multiple grill set up I have at the shore. Here is a picture that shows about the size of the yard - https://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/af81c259070bc0e7_4-7788/exterior.jpg.  This is not my yard but shows the limited space and it can't be all dedicated to my grilling habits.  While, not big it is a huge bonus to have any personally owned out door space where I live.  Of course having a 500 acre park a block from the house is a huge bonus (prospect park).  

Given size limitations I think a gas grill is out as i currently use it the least at the shore and mostly use it when I need to churn out burgers and dogs a few times in the summer.  Currently, I only have a weber grill which was my first purchase after buying the house but do want to think about the set up and having been considering a big green egg as a replacement.  My other weber grill at the shore is showing its age so would just bring the newer one done there.  I do think that a weber kettle is best piece of grilling equipment I have used and I learned to smoke on one before buying the WSM and have been doing so since we moved in about 2 months ago. Would love folks advice on getting a big green egg or other kamado grill.  Any other options to look at other than big green egg?  Are there any limitations owners of those have seen?  Should I keep my Weber kettle as well?

Thanks for any and all advice.

P.S. smoked pork shoulder this past weekend came out great.  Friends were coming over for late lunch so put it on about 4 a.m. and pulled it around noon at when registering between 185 and 190.  Did my homemade BBQ sauce and got rave reviews including a bunch of comments about better than many of the new BBQ shops showing up in NYC (which I have found to be over rated) compared to what I can churn out after 15 years of smoking.   

Joe's Beans - let me know how you liked them!
While they tasted good, I had to mickey with them a bit.  I followed the instructions EXACTLY but there was a LOT more moisture than I thought there would be.  It was more like bean soup than I figured.  I ended up using about 20 paper towels to blot up a good amount of the excess moisture.

Spike said:
While they tasted good, I had to mickey with them a bit.  I followed the instructions EXACTLY but there was a LOT more moisture than I thought there would be.  It was more like bean soup than I figured.  I ended up using about 20 paper towels to blot up a good amount of the excess moisture.
You have to pretty much drain off as much of the juice from the cans of beans as you can. It's hard in the monster can from the warehouse store for some reason. The smaller cans drain much easier. I feel like people miss that step in the recipe and I should mention it more prominently in the post rather than in only the ingredients list and recipe card. 

Ok, does anyone here own a big green egg or other Kamado grill?  Are they worth the expense?  I have mentioned this before but I recently moved into a house and out of my apartment and still working on my grill set up at the new home where I have lived for about 2 months.  At my beach house, I own a weber kettle grill, a gas grill and a weber smoking mountain.  The house I bought is a brownstone in Brooklyn so it has limited amount of outdoor space and can't see replicating the multiple grill set up I have at the shore. Here is a picture that shows about the size of the yard - https://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/af81c259070bc0e7_4-7788/exterior.jpg.  This is not my yard but shows the limited space and it can't be all dedicated to my grilling habits.  While, not big it is a huge bonus to have any personally owned out door space where I live.  Of course having a 500 acre park a block from the house is a huge bonus (prospect park).  

Given size limitations I think a gas grill is out as i currently use it the least at the shore and mostly use it when I need to churn out burgers and dogs a few times in the summer.  Currently, I only have a weber grill which was my first purchase after buying the house but do want to think about the set up and having been considering a big green egg as a replacement.  My other weber grill at the shore is showing its age so would just bring the newer one done there.  I do think that a weber kettle is best piece of grilling equipment I have used and I learned to smoke on one before buying the WSM and have been doing so since we moved in about 2 months ago. Would love folks advice on getting a big green egg or other kamado grill.  Any other options to look at other than big green egg?  Are there any limitations owners of those have seen?  Should I keep my Weber kettle as well?

Thanks for any and all advice.

P.S. smoked pork shoulder this past weekend came out great.  Friends were coming over for late lunch so put it on about 4 a.m. and pulled it around noon at when registering between 185 and 190.  Did my homemade BBQ sauce and got rave reviews including a bunch of comments about better than many of the new BBQ shops showing up in NYC (which I have found to be over rated) compared to what I can churn out after 15 years of smoking.   
The BGE is a nice grill but no where near best in breed. It does come with a legion of very zealous fans who will tell you otherwise. Those fans love to pay insanely inflated prices for BGE branded gear which is usually just rebranded with their logo and not made by them. I would look at a Primo, Blaze and Kamado Joe long before I looked at the BGE. 

TheFanatic said:
You have to pretty much drain off as much of the juice from the cans of beans as you can. It's hard in the monster can from the warehouse store for some reason. The smaller cans drain much easier. I feel like people miss that step in the recipe and I should mention it more prominently in the post rather than in only the ingredients list and recipe card. 
When I looked at the recipe, it said to drain off 1/3 of the juice from the baked beans (which I did my best to do); I drained off all the juice from the kidney and black beans.

Users who are viewing this thread