What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

So the pork cheeks were a big hit.  Here's what I learned.

The small side of the cheek will take about 5-6 hours to reach peak tenderness.  This is the side with the great marbling.  The large side will take closer to 8 hours.  Both sides wind up with a collagen-ey unctuousness that is very similar to a beef rib. But the slightly sweet Memphis Dust rub creates a sticky sweet bark on the outside that is the perfect counterpunch to the richness of the meat.  These things pack a ton of flavor for sure. I heard multiple times that they were like mini-briskets.

http://tinypic.com/r/34yppp0/9 
This reminds me. I have to smoke some shanks

The small side of the cheek will take about 5-6 hours to reach peak tenderness.  This is the side with the great marbling.  The large side will take closer to 8 hours.  Both sides wind up with a collagen-ey unctuousness that is very similar to a beef rib. But the slightly sweet Memphis Dust rub creates a sticky sweet bark on the outside that is the perfect counterpunch to the richness of the meat.  These things pack a ton of flavor for sure. I heard multiple times that they were like mini-briskets.

This reminds me. I have to smoke some shanks
Reminds me to see if there's a Georgia O'Keefe exhibit coming to town :oldunsure:

Coat liberally with salt and rub. Smoke till it hits about 130, then sear the crap out of it all the way around (Called the reverse sear). Pull it once it is seared all the way around and in between 145 and 160. 
Do you smoke on one grill and reverse sear on another?

You can do both on just about any grill.  Set the grill up for 2 zone ... put all your coals on one side and smoke the meat on the other side.  Then, when you go to sear you move it over above the coals (after letting them get as hot as possible by opening/removing the lid).

Depends on the grill. On both my American Muscle Grill and Traeger Timberline, I can do low and slow and hot and fast. Same with a kamado. When I just had my Traeger Pro 34, I would smoke on it and toss the meat onto a gasser to sear off. The pro series has a top temp of like 375

You can do both on just about any grill.  Set the grill up for 2 zone ... put all your coals on one side and smoke the meat on the other side.  Then, when you go to sear you move it over above the coals (after letting them get as hot as possible by opening/removing the lid).
And what he said! 

Beef Ravioli said:
Alright fellas, wife just asked me if I could smoke this 8lb boneless pork loin? I searched the thread but didn’t come up with anything. Any pointers or direction is greatly appreciated!
Loin is super easy and hard to mess up.  I like to dry brine mine for a few hours  then i rub it down and toss it on the smoker.  anywhere from 250-275 works for me but its not a huge deal what temp it is.  Pull the loin when it gets to 140-145 and slice.  Also i put a pan under it to catch the drippings.  enjoy!

yep.  going to have to get some pork cheeks soon.  So did you just smoke them until they were probe tender?  Like a butt pretty much?

yep.  going to have to get some pork cheeks soon.  So did you just smoke them until they were probe tender?  Like a butt pretty much?
Exactly. I could tell by applying a little pressure and the "bend test" with my tongs. They take longer than expected for such small pieces of meat.  And lots of shrinkage.  But still very moist when done.

Smoking two chickens for thanksgiving.  I'll brine them tomorrow for about 24 hours - (1 gal. veg broth, 1 gal apple juice, apples cut up, a couple oranges, lemons cut up, rosemary, thyme, savory, sage, ice water) - I'll stuff the chickens with cut up apples (granny smith this year) and inject them with apple juice smoked over apple wood.  I've done in this past a few times.  I keep wanting to do turkey but ever since I did chickens a few years ago, no-one wants anything but the smoked chicken.

So then I'll do my sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cheese biscuits from scratch, corn and whatever desserts my wife makes.  My son requested homemade mac and cheese so I'll do that too.  Beer is already on ice, I'm trying out Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale (never had it before) and Hop for Teacher (never had that one either but with a Van Halen reference, I figured, what the hell!)  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning to smoke a couple small-ish (10#) turkeys - SIL got a freebie at work, but we'll need more than just that one.

Do I plan on higher temp (like chicken) so the skin renders out and crisps up? If so, how hot? And about how long? I'm thinking the time shouldn't vary much adding a second bird; there's plenty of space in the smoker.
BIL-to-be is going to deep fry his, so my 13lb-er will have the smoker all to itself.  Going to spatchcock and dry-brine tomorrow.  

I like the suggestion I saw about putting a foil pan under to catch drippings.

Smoked bird came out great! Looked gorgeous too, I should have taken pics.

Got the temp up well into the 300s early, but then it slid down and held mid-high 200s.  Probably because it was 35 f'ing degrees out. Still got a nice crispy skin and a deep mahogany color.

So I have about 6 to 8 ounces of raw salmon left over tonight. I was going to smoke it tomorrow for a salmon dip during football.

Anything special I need to do during smoking and any good dip recipes?

Well with rivalry week upon us it's time for another brisket. It was 17lbs before I trimmed it up and now it's probably 14. Got it on around 6:30 and hope it will be ready when I wake up in the morning.

I found a canister of turkey brine at Costco a few weeks ago, and got it knowing Thanksgiving is right around the corner.  

We had a small gathering(5 people) this year, so we did a boneless turkey breast.  I brined it the day before, then put it on my 22" kettle grill(Indirect heat with a pan of water under the bird boob).  It was 4 pounds, so I pulled it after 2 hours at 168 degrees.  

Perfectly done, if I say so myself.

Thanks for the advice on the pork loin. All the in laws loved it and I was quite impressed too.

I have been wanting to try a brisket for sometime. I bought one at Costco but have cut it in thirds. I have about a 5lb chunk (the thick end) that we are going to try first. I can typically keep my Char Griller Barrel Smoker in the that 225-275 range pretty good for several hours. Looking for an estimate of how long to smoke it. 

Also taking any other tips and suggestions. Thanks!

@TheFanatic what is your website? Thanks! 

Thanks for the advice on the pork loin. All the in laws loved it and I was quite impressed too.

I have been wanting to try a brisket for sometime. I bought one at Costco but have cut it in thirds. I have about a 5lb chunk (the thick end) that we are going to try first. I can typically keep my Char Griller Barrel Smoker in the that 225-275 range pretty good for several hours. Looking for an estimate of how long to smoke it. 

Also taking any other tips and suggestions. Thanks!

@TheFanatic what is your website? Thanks! 
Brisket is 100% a cook to temp not time item. 

Cook to 190-200 internal temp. Wrap in towels and put in a cooler for 1-3 hours. Then pull out and slice 1/4" thick against the grain. 

Fanatic's site is http://grillinfools.com 

I just need an approximate estimate because I am trying to get close to a specific time when we have friends coming over. 
There are a LOT of variables here.... thickness of meat, cooking temp, etc... so asking for firm numbers here is impossible.

THAT SAID: I would personally cook at 225ish, budget 1h15m per pound (assuming it's cut at normal brisket thickness), and then add on 3 hours of rest time to be safe. (so start it ~9 hours before you want to serve it). 

If it runs fast, it will be fine to rest for 5 hours (hell, it may even be better resting for that long). If something happens and it runs long, you won't have hungry buddies #####ing and tempting you to pull/serve it before it's ready. 

My .02... others are welcome to chime in. 

Yes briskets are hard to predict so start it early.  You can always let it sit in a cooler for a few hours.  Also dont be afriad to increase the temp and/or cook at iat a higher temp if you need to.  Also, once it probes like butter, pull it and rest it regardless of the temp. 

Good luck and take pics!

Yes briskets are hard to predict so start it early.  You can always let it sit in a cooler for a few hours.  Also dont be afriad to increase the temp and/or cook at iat a higher temp if you need to.  Also, once it probes like butter, pull it and rest it regardless of the temp. 

Good luck and take pics!
Beat me to it. My target temp for my brisket the other day was 275 and it bounced around a little between 260-300 before finally settling in at 280. A 17lb brisket before I trimmed, probably 14lbs after trim, took me 10 1/2 hours. You are dead on about once it probes like butter. Temperature is a good guide but no resistance with a probe is the tell.

One more thing that could affect the cooking time is whether you wrap your brisket to get through the stall or not.

Beat me to it. My target temp for my brisket the other day was 275 and it bounced around a little between 260-300 before finally settling in at 280. A 17lb brisket before I trimmed, probably 14lbs after trim, took me 10 1/2 hours. You are dead on about once it probes like butter. Temperature is a good guide but no resistance with a probe is the tell.

One more thing that could affect the cooking time is whether you wrap your brisket to get through the stall or not.
Highly recommend wrapping in butcher paper during the stall

Good luck and take pics!
Put that bad boy on at 7AM today. Got the smoker pegged at 225 right now. Looking forward to see how it turns out! 

I did a heritage bird on Thanksgiving that was alive on Monday. Brined it and smoked on the Traeger traditional rather than spatchcocking. Not even sure why I didn't spatchcock it. I let it rest for about 30 minutes and when I cut into the breast, juice poured off the end of the knife onto the floor like a child peeing. It was a steady stream. I've never had a bird that juicy. That being said, the ham stole the show. 

Users who are viewing this thread