What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cooking Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

I was looking for some way to amp up a standard sausage egg and cheese, and the first video I clicked suggested putting jam on the muffin. Is this actually a thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who has a red bean and rice recipe they want to share?

I know there was a thread on cajun cooking and it had recipe i made several times.  I tried searching for it but I'm not able to find it.   :shrug:

I was looking for some way to amp up a standard sausage egg and cheese, and the first video I clicked suggested putting jam on the muffin. Is this actually a thing?
Maybe something acidic to cut the richness of the sausage and cheese.  Pickled onion?  A little malt vinegar?  I'm spitballing.  

Who has a red bean and rice recipe they want to share?

I know there was a thread on cajun cooking and it had recipe i made several times.  I tried searching for it but I'm not able to find it.   :shrug:
This is one of the few things I cook in the Instant Pot.

Prepare ingredients mis-en-place in following groups:

2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil

1# Andouille Sliced (Home Made preferred)

1 Cup onion chopped

1 Cup green bell pepper chopped

1 Cup celery chopped

1 tbsp garlic minced

1 tsp dried thyme

½ tsp cayenne

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp black pepper 

2 large bay Leaves

1# soaked small red beans (not Kidney)

1 smoked ham hock

4 cups chicken broth

Put Instant Pot in Saute mode.  Once hot add 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil and saute sliced sausage.  When brown bits from bottom and sausage browned some (5-8 minutes), remove from Instant pot with slotted spoon.  Reserve for later use.

Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic to instant pot. Saute until onion is translucent.

Add dry spices, stir to coat veggies.

Deglaze pot with a little broth.

Stir in remaining broth, bay leaves, beans, and ham hock. Close Instant Pot and cook under pressure for 30 minutes.  Allow to naturally release.  Can be manually released after 15 minutes of natural release if short on time. Total instant pot time will take an hour or so.

Remove hock, if meaty enough, remove meat and add into beans.

Remove 1 cup beans, mash with fork into paste.

Return sausage and mashed beans to pot.  Saute until thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent burning to bottom of pot.

Best served over Royal Blend rice (Texmati).

And my comment came of snarkier than I intended.  Sorry about that.
Wasn't taken that way.  It's all good.  Before living there, I wouldn't have known why Mondays would be important  ;)

As far as the beans, though, I'm pretty sure I've eaten both plenty of times, but I believe kidney beans are used more often.  I could be mistaken as it's usually not described what is used, but just based on memory and what they looked like.

For health reasons, I have moved towards plant based diets.  Here is one of my favorite soups I've come up with:  

Spicy Black Bean, Kale, and Sweet Potato soup

2 large onions, chopped

1 can no sodium black beans

4-5 cups chopped Kale, ribs and large stems removed

2 smallish/medium sweet potatoes, diced roughly to size of a black bean

1 quart vegetable stock(may need more depending on preference)

2 tsp garlic powder

3 cloves garlic, minced

½ tsp turmeric

½ tsp cumin

½ tsp paprika

Dried/dehydrated chilis of your choice(I used Guajillo and Japinos)

1 tbsp White Miso Paste

Stir in half the turmeric, cumin, and paprika with the diced sweet potatoes.  Put in a preheated oven at 400 degrees and roast for 15-20 minutes until soft.

Remove the stem and seeds of dried chilis, and do a rough chop on them.  Place them in a small sauce pan with about a cup of veg. broth, and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Put the chilis and vegetable broth into a high powered blender(I swear by my Ninja), and give it a whirl for about a minute.  Add more vegetable stock if it is too thick.  It should be more saucy/liquidy than pasty.  Lol you know what I mean. 

In a large soup pot, put in about ½ cup of the vegetable stock and chopped onion over medium heat.  Cover and saute until translucent/soft.  Put in the minced garlic, and stir.  Cook till fragrant(30-45 seconds).  Put in half the turmeric, cumin, and paprika.  Stir and cook for 30 seconds to ‘bloom’ spices. Add the rest of remaining vegetable stock and bring to low simmer.  Stir in the chopped kale and simmer until wilted/softened. Right near the end add the white miso paste.

Stir in the sweet potatoes and you’re ready to eat!

This has been my go to for the little cold snap we've been having lately:

Pozole Verde

2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, skin removed

1.25 pound tomatillos (husked and washed)

1 large white onion, quartered

1 small white onion (chopped for serving)

3 jalapenos (stemmed, halved, seeded)

3 poblano peppers (stemmed, seeded, quartered)

2 large cloves garlic (peeled)

8 cups chicken broth

3 15 ounce can of white hominy (drained and rinsed) 

2 teaspoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 large handful of cilantro (stems and leaves)

1 + tablespoon dried mexican oregano

1 + tablespoon cumin

2 teaspoons white pepper or to taste.

Sliced radishes

Crumbled queso fresco

Thick corn tortillas (homemade best)

In a large dutch oven, sear chicken in oil over medium heat until brown develops. Deglaze with chicken broth.  

Add remaining broth, garlic, tomatillos, large onion quarters, jalapenos, oregano, cumin, and salt. 

Bring to boil over high heat.

Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer on low for 40 minutes or until chicken is falling apart.

Transfer chicken to bowl or cutting board with slotted spon and shred.

Using slotted spoon, place tomatillos, onions, and jalapenos in blender. Add large handful of fresh cilantro and a cup of cooking liquid and puree until completely smooth. A good blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec is helpful here.

Add shredded chicken, puree, and hominy into dutch oven. Stir and cook uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes.

Taste and salt as needed.

Serve with lime wedges, sliced radishes, chopped cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, chopped white onions, and thick corn tortillas for dipping. 
*finally* got around to making this and it delivers.  Only had two cans of hominy on hand and just went with it rather than head out to the store.  Went heavy on the garlic, cumin, and oregano.  When I make it again I might go 7 cups broth instead of 8 because I would personally prefer it a little closer to stew than soup.  But as is it's not thin.  Maybe another jalapeno or two or the ones I used weren't that spicy.  Thank you!

I got the Emeril Lagasse air fryer/roaster etc for Christmas. Mah gawd is this a wonderful machine. Rotiss, bake, air fryer, roast veggies and taters. It does it all. I have used it a lot and nothing has turned out crappy.  Chicken, ribs, tenderloins, everything.

Highly recommended.

I've always shied away because of the price, but at some point I'm going to have to break down and try some. Heard so many people rave about it.
It is excellent. Rao's. They sell hearty soups now too.

I Hippled, you guys beat me to it.😁

Been really happy with my Panang Curry Chicken

1 onion

1 tbs minced garlic

1 or 2 bell pepper of whatever color

Panang Curry Paste. I use this

1 can coconut milk

1 1/2 to 3 chicken breasts.  For big boneless, I go with 2

1 big spoonful peanut butter

1 or 2 tbs brown sugar

recommended adds: couple glugs of fish sauce, grated fresh ginger, thai basil chopped. 

Cut onion and get cooking in pan with oil at medium heat.  Add garlic after a few minutes. Clear out space in the middle Drop in curry paste to center of pan. Let that sit for about a minute and soak in the aroma.  Add can of coconut milk and let that cook for a minute. Add in peppers, peanut butter and brown sugar.  Add in fish sauce, ginger and/or basil if you have it. Take raw chicken and cut into bite size chunks. Drop that into the mix.  Let chicken cook for 15 minutes. Lower to low heat and enjoy. 

The timing of adding things is very loose - I'm just slowly adding things as they are prepared.  Just avoid burning the onions and undercookng the chicken and you should be in business.

This turns out mild-medium heat.  

Did a sausage ratatouie Saturday night. 

Simmered the sausage in a Brooklyn Chocolate Stout before slicing and searing them. Turned out amazing.
What's the tecnique to segue from whole sausage to sliced?  Remove sausage from simmer and then what ...?

I'm trying to figure out "fat management" for lack of a better term. I don't want to bleed out a lot of fat without a plan.

Hope I'm making sense.  The dish looks fantastic, hence my queries.

What's the tecnique to segue from whole sausage to sliced?  Remove sausage from simmer and then what ...?

I'm trying to figure out "fat management" for lack of a better term. I don't want to bleed out a lot of fat without a plan.

Hope I'm making sense.  The dish looks fantastic, hence my queries.
Thanks.

I have a cutting board with a nice well around it so it keeps track of all the fat. After slicing them I let them sit for a few minutes in a bowl with all the fat while I wipe down the pan and get it hot for a quick sear. I also reserve some of the fat to add towards the end after all the veggies are tender. Not so much that it makes it greasy,  just for a little added flavor. 

Alright, I have acquired the sauce: https://imgur.com/a/nurR75x

Making spaghetti & meatballs with roasted broccoli tonight.
Update: Pretty tasty!

I think I was most impressed with how fresh it tasted. I tried a spoonful of Rao’s and a spoonful of our usual Classico sauce to compare, and the Classico tasted noticeably artificial when put up against the good stuff.

wow - that stuff is expensive!  $25/14 oz.

the only info I have found so far is using a 50/50 flour mix ...any idea if you can get away with less of this stuff and still get good results??
Homemade crispy fried chicken sandwich. This recipe is really good. Chicken is super crispy and covered in "bits" (who knew they were just water?). I toss mine in buffalo sauce and pile high with red onions and pickled jalapenos on a brioche bun. Literally the best chicken sandwich I've ever had.

@Cowboysfan8

had an extra jar of Rao’s alfredo sauce and no noodles so I made a chicken breast dish out of it.

Grilled 4 chicken breasts in the sauce, then as I let the breasts rest I grated some fresh Parmesan and mozzarella into the sauce and stuck it back in the oven(off but still hot)  for 5 min. Then just mix all the goodness in the pan up and you have a nice thick sauce to top your chicken breast. 

was great for such a quick dish

@Cowboysfan8

had an extra jar of Rao’s alfredo sauce and no noodles so I made a chicken breast dish out of it.

Grilled 4 chicken breasts in the sauce, then as I let the breasts rest I grated some fresh Parmesan and mozzarella into the sauce and stuck it back in the oven(off but still hot)  for 5 min. Then just mix all the goodness in the pan up and you have a nice thick sauce to top your chicken breast. 

was great for such a quick dish
Sounds awesome

I need to try the Raos Alfredo 

Garlic Confit

Several bulbs of garlic, broken into cloves and peeled but left whole(I'm talking 30-40 cloves of garlic)

Enough Olive Oil to cover all ingredients

Fresh rosemary or Thyme

Fresh chili of your choice, chopped coursely

Bay leaf

Put all ingredients into a sauce pan and simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes.  Let cool and store in fridge for several months. Great on toast, mixed with roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes, so many uses for these little cloves of gold.

If you are a fan of garlic, you've got to do this.  So easy, and oh so tasty.

Garlic Confit

Several bulbs of garlic, broken into cloves and peeled but left whole(I'm talking 30-40 cloves of garlic)

Enough Olive Oil to cover all ingredients

Fresh rosemary or Thyme

Fresh chili of your choice, chopped coursely

Bay leaf

Put all ingredients into a sauce pan and simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes.  Let cool and store in fridge for several months. Great on toast, mixed with roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes, so many uses for these little cloves of gold.

If you are a fan of garlic, you've got to do this.  So easy, and oh so tasty.
.... and if you decide to strain the cloves out, you have an infused oil

Users who are viewing this thread