What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2014 NFL Scouting Combine thread ** (1 Viewer)

Chip Kelly - if a qb is not tall how big are his hands?

Non issue
I get that...I took it as something to not compound the issue of being small. If he was small and had small hands there's really no positive. Being 5'11 and having big hands will at least (or should) eliminate any doubt that he'll be able to throw. JMO anyway

@AdamSchefter:

MANZIEL – 5’11 and ¾, 207 with 9 7/8 hands.
BRIDGEWATER – 6’2 1/8, 214 with 9 ¼ hands.
BORTLES – 6’5, 232 with 9 3/8 hands.

Tale of the tape

@AdamSchefter:

MANZIEL – 5’11 and ¾, 207 with 9 7/8 hands.

BRIDGEWATER – 6’2 1/8, 214 with 9 ¼ hands.

BORTLES – 6’5, 232 with 9 3/8 hands.

Tale of the tape
What constitutes having "big hands"? Would Bortles' hands still be considered big?
All of them are fairly small compared to some of the recent QB's drafted. To make a comparison to last year's QB's:

EJ Manuel 10 3/8

Ryan Nassib 10 1/8

Matt Barkley 10 1/8

Geno Smith 9 1/4

Tyler Wilson 8 3/4
And I don't have the measures but IIRC, Russell Wilson's paws were huge (~11 inches)

Allen Robinson official measurements Fri Feb 21, 09:43 AM

Penn State WR Allen Robinson measured in at the NFL Scouting Combine at 6-foot-2 5/8 and 220 pounds.

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M WR Mike Evans measured in at 6 foot 4 and 3/4 inches and 231 pounds at the NFL Combine.

Evans and Kelvin Benjamin are the two big receivers in the class, and Evans checks in 1/4 of an inch short and nine pounds lighter. What he does offer is more consistency at the catch point, whether they be contested or open field opportunities.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Clemson WR Sammy Watkins measured in a 6 foot and 3/4 inches and 211 pounds at the NFL Combine.

There has been zome buzz that teams do not view Watkins as a true No. 1 receiver due to his lack of great height, but we find this a bit amusing. Watkins is incredibly explosive and goes up and gets it at the catch point. He should post a great workout and will likely be the top receiver on many boards.

LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. measured in at 5 feet 11 and 1/4 inches and 198 pounds at the NFL Combine.

Beckham Jr. checks in under six feet tall, but he goes up and gets it at the catch point with the best of them. Add on his ability to create separation on the ground with agility and explosion, and Beckham Jr. has a great shot to be the No. 3 receiver off the board.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport stated that Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo will throw at the combine.

"Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo is planning to throw at the Combine this week, per source. Will do other drills, may not bench though," Rapoport tweeted. Garoppolo put on a good performance at the East-West Shrine game and had a solid week of practice at Senior Bowl week. He doesn't posses a huge arm, but he does have some of the best footwork of this quarterback class. With a strong performance at the combine Garoppolo could be a second day selection.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Twitter:

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks

Marqise Lee 5'11 3/4 192
Rotoworld take:

USC WR Marqise Lee measured 5-foot-11 3/4 and 192 pounds at Friday's Scouting Combine weigh-in.

He came in just a touch short and lighter than his 6-foot, 195-pound college listing. Lee drew comparisons to DeSean Jackson early in his college career, but buzz died down later on concerning his speed and penchant for drops. He's still in the first-round conversation, though is more likely a top-50 prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is there nowhere to follow the weigh ins in real time? Garoppolo? Carr?
They're only being randomly tweeted mainly by Daniel Jeremiah. The players get measured alphabetically, as you can see it's not in order from the tweets.

Twitter:

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Zach Mettenberger's rounded measurements: 6'5" 224 lbs. hand size of 9 3/4".
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Logan Thomas' hands were 1/8 of an inch larger than they were at the Senior Bowl. Latest number is 10 7/8.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Garoppolo's hands were a 1/4" larger than in Mobile. Up to 9 1/4"
Kevin Seifert ‏@SeifertESPN

If you're into such things, VA Tech QB Logan Thomas made impression today. Tallest (6-6 1/8) and largest hands (10 7/8) of QB class.

Rotoworld:

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks measured 5-foot-9 3/4 and 189 pounds at Friday's Scouting Combine weigh-in.

A dynamic underneath receiver, Cooks has drawn NFL comparisons to Tavon Austin, which you could construe as a good or bad thing. He's still only 20 years old, and doesn't turn 21 until late September. Cook is a former track athlete who'll likely blaze the track in Indianapolis. He also won the 2013 Biletnikoff Award, annually given to the nation's top wide receiver.

Rotoworld:

Alabama QB A.J. McCarron measured 6-foot-3 1/4 and 220 pounds at Friday's Scouting Combine weigh-in.

He was listed at 6-foot-4, 214 by the Crimson Tide. McCarron's size is a positive, but his arm strength and ability to drive the football on NFL-caliber outside-the-numbers throws are lacking. He's a day-two prospect at best.

Twitter:

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

Martavis Bryant: I expect to run a 4.3 or lower
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

Bryant: "I'm looking to have the best time out of everyone" said his favorite player in the NFL is AJ Green
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

I talked to Martavis Bryant about where he needs to improve. He mentioned not getting upright when coming out of his routes as his big focus

Twitter:

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

Martavis Bryant: I expect to run a 4.3 or lower
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler

Bryant: "I'm looking to have the best time out of everyone" said his favorite player in the NFL is AJ Green
I'm hoping this is the Eagles round 2 guy!
I like Martavus Bryant alot. If he tests well (fast 40, good vert/BJ) then I think he shoots into the 1st round and will be ridiculously overhyped.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Allen Robinson official measurements Fri Feb 21, 09:43 AM

Penn State WR Allen Robinson measured in at the NFL Scouting Combine at 6-foot-2 5/8 and 220 pounds.
:moneybag:

Disappointed that Lee wasn't bigger.

Twitter:

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Lache Seastrunk's rounded measurements: 5'9/201 lbs. 9 1/4" hands and 30"
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Tre Mason's rounded measurements: 5'8/207 lbs. 9" hands and 30" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Storm Johnson's rounded measurements: 6'0/209 lbs. 9 1/2" hands and 32" arms
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Carlos Hyde's rounded measurements: 6'0/230 lbs. 9 5/8" hands and 32" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Marion Grice's rounded measurements: 6'0/208 lbs. 9 1/4" hands and 32" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Jeremy Hill's rounded measurements: 6'1/233 lbs. 10 3/8" hands and 32 5/8"
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Devonta Freeman's rounded measurements: 5'8/206 lbs. 9 5/8" hands and 29 3/8" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Ka'Deem Carey's rounded measurements: 5'9/207 lbs. 9 1/2" hands and 31 3/4"

Twitter:

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Bishop Sankey's rounded measurements: 5'9/209 lbs. 10" hands and 31" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

De'Anthony Thomas' rounded measurements: 5'9/174 lbs. 8 1/8" hands and 29 7/8" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Andre Williams' rounded measurements: 5'11/230 lbs. 9" hands and 33 1/2" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

James Wilder's rounded measurements: 6'3/232 lbs. 9 3/4" hands and 32" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Terrance West's rounded measurements: 5'9/225 lbs. 9 1/8" hands and 31" arms.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

5'8/173 lbs. 31" arms and 8 7/8" hands. RT @IanKenyonNFL: Archer?

Looks like a lot of good height/weight combos out there. Freeman, Williams, Hyde, Hill, Mason, and even Carey all coming in with good numbers. Seastrunk just a little bit light, but nothing to cause any concern. He's within a couple cheeseburgers of hitting the "ideal" range as well.

I like those height/weight numbers for Adams, Cooks, and Robinson at WR. Benjamin is pushing the limits with his TE-like build. 6'5" with a 28.5 BMI isn't quite a TE, but it's pretty close. Evans could have been a little heavier given all the talk of him as a big WR, but I don't think his weight is a big negative. I think Lee's numbers hurt him. With his playing style he needs to be able to take a hit, and his low 26 BMI finesse body type puts that in question. OTOH, it's not far off what Harvin had and I expect Lee to be fairly impressive in the sprints and jumps. I'd like him a lot more if he were ten pounds heavier though.

I thought Manziel would try to bulk up. I guess he's going for a faster 40x. He'll make more money running a 4.4 for sure.

He did have 9 7/8ths inch hand-size, which is good, but not the gigantic 10.5″ some predicted.

And he measured under 6". The legend is being torn down piece by piece.

Looks like a lot of good height/weight combos out there. Freeman, Williams, Hyde, Hill, Mason, and even Carey all coming in with good numbers. Seastrunk just a little bit light, but nothing to cause any concern. He's within a couple cheeseburgers of hitting the "ideal" range as well.

I like those height/weight numbers for Adams, Cooks, and Robinson at WR. Benjamin is pushing the limits with his TE-like build. 6'5" with a 28.5 BMI isn't quite a TE, but it's pretty close. Evans could have been a little heavier given all the talk of him as a big WR, but I don't think his weight is a big negative. I think Lee's numbers hurt him. With his playing style he needs to be able to take a hit, and his low 26 BMI finesse body type puts that in question. OTOH, it's not far off what Harvin had and I expect Lee to be fairly impressive in the sprints and jumps. I'd like him a lot more if he were ten pounds heavier though.
where you getting your BMI numbers?

where you getting your BMI numbers?
I just plug the heights/weights into this thing:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

I thought Manziel would try to bulk up. I guess he's going for a faster 40x. He'll make more money running a 4.4 for sure.

He did have 9 7/8ths inch hand-size, which is good, but not the gigantic 10.5″ some predicted.

And he measured under 6". The legend is being torn down piece by piece.
I'm more concerned with his arm. His 3-cone and shuttle should be off the charts. Don't see 4.4 speed.

Users who are viewing this thread