What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (1 Viewer)

And while I agree with you that it’s amazing robinson has come back so quickly, his numbers have crashed pretty hard.

Outside of one long TD, Robinson has been a 3 yards and cloud of dust kind of guy.
He hasn't crashed at all. He's a career 4.5 avg guy putting up a 4.2 avg this season. Nothing has changed besides his opportunities.
the season YPC isn’t evidence that he hasn’t crashed. His 50 yard TD buoyed his YPC a bit.

His last few games he was 3.6, 2.5 & 4.5 - and in the latter, he had a 14 yard run out of his 12 touches - otherwise he was 3.6 YPC.

In those same games ETN was over 7 YPC on a larger workload.
You know that the taking away longest runs argument is a logical fallacy.

That would hurt any RB's Y/A stats.
It’s not a fallacy if I’m acknowledging the context.

It’s just a breakdown of his day.
It is a fallacy when you try to remove the longest run. The run happened, that's a fact and you don't get to take it away. It happens for every RB every week and you don't get to remove it from them either. No one runs for exactly 5 yards on every single carry.

And while I agree with you that it’s amazing robinson has come back so quickly, his numbers have crashed pretty hard.

Outside of one long TD, Robinson has been a 3 yards and cloud of dust kind of guy.
He hasn't crashed at all. He's a career 4.5 avg guy putting up a 4.2 avg this season. Nothing has changed besides his opportunities.
the season YPC isn’t evidence that he hasn’t crashed. His 50 yard TD buoyed his YPC a bit.

His last few games he was 3.6, 2.5 & 4.5 - and in the latter, he had a 14 yard run out of his 12 touches - otherwise he was 3.6 YPC.

It is a fallacy when you try to remove the longest run. The run happened, that's a fact and you don't get to take it away. It happens for every RB every week and you don't get to remove it from them either. No one runs for exactly 5 yards on every single carry.
I’m not trying to remove the longest run.

I’m pointing out that all the rest of his runs were sub-par, and aligned with his last 2 games prior.

Try to keep up. 😉

I’m pointing out that all the rest of his runs were sub-par, and aligned with his last 2 games prior.

Try to keep up. 😉
But what is that really doing for you.? He had the long runs. He was able to do that so why won't he do that moving forward? It's part of what he does. I am not sure what saying he averages 3.2 ypc anytime he doesn't have runs longer than 10 yds does for you. I would guess that is similar to most other RB's

Try to keep up. 😉
The context is the 50 yard run happened, that's all there is to it.

How about this one: 1994 Barry Sanders. 331 carries, 1,883 yards for a 5.7 clip. One of the best RB seasons of all time. Take away his long run from each game you end up with 315 carries for 1,256 yards and a 4.0 yards per carry average.

Does that make Barry average, or slightly below? Of course not because he was the only RB ever who could manage 627 yards on 16 total, cherry picked, carries in a single season (39.2 ypc). But it makes him substantially below average when compared with the Barry who had those long runs each game. And Barry to Barry is the only fair comparison as is James Robinson only fair to compare to James Robinson in this context.

Obviously it is categorically unfair to compare James Robinson to a guy who is unquestionably on the Mount Rushmore of NFL RBs. But this would hold for every single RB ever. You can't remove the long run to add context because the long run actually happened. To do so is to make the argument that the longest run will not happen next game, or ever again, and there is the crux of the fallacy which renders the entire thought experiment irrelevant.

James Robinson is decent RB coming off a difficult injury, and by all measures acquitting himself well. The unfortunate part for him is that he went from running behind one of the better offensive lines in the league, and a competent passing, to one of the most questionable offensive lines with a sub par passing. It is going to be tough, all around for Robinson RoS.

Try to keep up. 😉
But what is that really doing for you.? He had the long runs. He was able to do that so why won't he do that moving forward? It's part of what he does. I am not sure what saying he averages 3.2 ypc anytime he doesn't have runs longer than 10 yds does for you. I would guess that is similar to most other RB's
I was just looking at his last 3 games in the context that he’s tapered off, which was the statement that had been challenged.

Looking *only* at YPC, his last game looked better than the prior 2. But digging deeper into the last game, it looked better as an aggregate than on an actual per carry basis.

His long wasn’t some 70+ yard explosion - just a 14 yard carry to carry his day.

I’m well aware of the “well if he didn’t have that 60 yard touchdown” schtick, and have argued against it many times myself.

I was just looking at his last 3 and indeed, his numbers had been falling compared to earlier in the season. And especially compared to ETN who’d been at 6-8 YPC YPC in those same games. Context matters.

I’m sure he’ll be fine for the Jets.

Try to keep up. 😉
The context is the 50 yard run happened, that's all there is to it.

How about this one: 1994 Barry Sanders. 331 carries, 1,883 yards for a 5.7 clip. One of the best RB seasons of all time. Take away his long run from each game you end up with 315 carries for 1,256 yards and a 4.0 yards per carry average.

Does that make Barry average, or slightly below? Of course not because he was the only RB ever who could manage 627 yards on 16 total, cherry picked, carries in a single season (39.2 ypc).

Obviously it is categorically unfair to compare James Robinson to a guy who is unquestionably on the Mount Rushmore of NFL RBs. But this would hold for every single RB ever. You can't remove the long run to add context because the long run actually happened. To do so is to make the argument that the longest run will not happen next game, or ever again, and there is the crux of the fallacy which renders the entire thought experiment irrelevant.

James Robinson is decent RB coming off a difficult injury, and by all measures acquitting himself well. The unfortunate part for him is that he went from running behind one of the better offensive lines in the league, and a competent passing, to one of the most questionable offensive lines with a sub par passing. It is going to be tough, all around for Robinson RoS.

Yes, I’m in total agreement with you, big picture, but you have the wrong context.

See my last post, which you’re taking entirely out of the context of the discussion in which it was made (Robinson tapering off y or n, and comparative to ETN)

To me the "big picture" question is, what made Robinson expendable at a "give away" price? You can say "ETN" but teams always need "N+1" RBs where "N" is the number they have now. Something seems odd here.

When the other person is always the one taking your post "out of context", it is time to look in the mirror and see your contribution to that.

Chaka has said it well so no need for me to get into the weeds, but a small sample size with long runs or a long run being removed seems like a fools errand to draw conclusions from.

When you take away the eggs benedict I had at brunch Sunday and the New York strip I had Monday, my meal intake this week has been mediocre and ordinary. Acknowledging the inherent limitations of sample size, naturally.
Again, it was in context of the discussion, “are his numbers tapering off”

Over his last 3 games they seemed to be. Someone pointed out his last game’s YPC as evidence they have not been tapering off. My exclusion of 1 run was to demonstrate that the last game was aligned with his prior 2 YPC save for that 1 run.

I’m well aware of the cherry picking fallacy and am 99.9% in agreement with you when it’s employed.

To me the "big picture" question is, what made Robinson expendable at a "give away" price? You can say "ETN" but teams always need "N+1" RBs where "N" is the number they have now. Something seems odd here.
Performance, and he’s currently nursing a knee injury. Plus the emergency of Hasty as a viable RB2 for the Jags made him expendable.

I would have thought they could get more, but his contract makes this essentially a ROS rental.

This guy gets no respect. He might be JAG athletically but he has elite vision and tons of heart. He's definitely the kind of guy I want on my team. I think he goes off in NY.
I think he’ll do well, but I wouldn’t expect volume for about 2-3 weeks. Carter is going to get the bulk of the touches until Robinson knows the playbook, vibes with the team, etc.

I do think it was a quality add for the Jets in the wake of Hall’s knee injury.

Jets RB James Robinson (knee) is questionable for Week 9 against Buffalo.​

The late week downgrade isn't a good sign for Robinson, who has been playing through a knee injury. Robinson was limited to five carries in his debut last week. Michael Carter would have a full workload if Robinson doesn't play, with Ty Johnson stepping into the No. 2 role. This is still a matchup to avoid against Buffalo's top defense.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Nov 5, 2022, 12:11 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "there is optimism" James Robinson (knee) will play in Week 9 against the Bills.​

Robinson dealt with a minor knee injury earlier in the year but wasn't mentioned on the team's practice reports throughout the week. Then, he was listed as questionable after the Jets' walkthrough on Saturday. Robinson only saw five carries in his debut with the Jets and the knee issue will further limit his touches. He remains off the fantasy radar versus the Bills this week.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Nov 6, 2022, 8:16 AM ET

James Robinson rushed 13 times for 48 yards in the Jets’ Week 9 win over the Bills, adding two receptions for an additional five yards and a touchdown.

Robinson finally got to plant his feet in the ground in the Jets’ offense. After 15 touches, it shows that Robinson is definitely in the Jets’ plans going forward. Robinson got his first score as a Jet on a seven-yard screen after he set up his blockers. He ran tough, although the 3.7 yards per-carry may not show it. With the Jets approaching a Week 10 bye, it should give Robinson even more time to get acclimated with the offense.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Ultra geeked to have re-acquired this guy in my main league. We know he doesn't have long speed, but he looked good running the football Sunday. All aboard the J-Rob "Did Me Wrong" tour.

Try to keep up. 😉
Yeah but take away his short runs and he is AWESOME:wink: :laugh:

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1596905450070474753?s=46&t=1_ufGUCY8THpx2IcbjIXOA
Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate

The #Jets traded a 6th-round pick that becomes a 5th if Robinson rushes for 260+ yards with the team. He's at 75 right now.
What a joke. He's being sat down because the Jets don't want to give up a higher draft pick.
So you're in the hunt and you decide to bench a guy who could help you win to avoid giving up a higher draft pick?
Guess that's why they are the Jet's.

@MySportsUpdate

The #Jets traded a 6th-round pick that becomes a 5th if Robinson rushes for 260+ yards with the team. He's at 75 right now.
What a joke. He's being sat down because the Jets don't want to give up a higher draft pick.
So you're in the hunt and you decide to bench a guy who could help you win to avoid giving up a higher draft pick?
He’s likely sitting because he hasn’t been effective and doesn’t play special teams. But feel free to go with that.

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1596905450070474753?s=46&t=1_ufGUCY8THpx2IcbjIXOA
Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate

No. The "same ole Jets" would have stuck with him because they gave up a draft pick. He hasn't done much, bottom line. If the coaching staff think they have a guy that can add a little more then plug him in for a week, see how it goes. Knight did a great job today.

Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate

Who says that was the reason beside Frank?

Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate

That tweet doesn’t say that and even if it’s his implication how the heck would he know?
It’s the difference of a 6th and 5th round pick. Do football fans really think that sways a team in contention?

@MySportsUpdate

He’s likely sitting because he hasn’t been effective and doesn’t play special teams. But feel free to go with that.
Not sure the attitude is necessary. He hasn't been given a chance really. Especially when you consider he was new to the team / system.
That being said, the recent comments by Saleh sure would indicate Robinson isn't a good fit. In that case, it was a bad trade all around then.

The Jets have benched the #2 overall pick in the draft to try to win....there is zero chance they care about a 6th to a 5th rounder if the guy could help them win....watching last weeks game they obviously lie the other RBs better. Stupid move complaining about it after the win...may want to confer with Elijah who is still digging out.

@MySportsUpdate

Not sure the attitude is necessary. He hasn't been given a chance really. Especially when you consider he was new to the team / system.
That being said, the recent comments by Saleh sure would indicate Robinson isn't a good fit. In that case, it was a bad trade all around then.
Just defending my honor regarding “same old Jets” comments - no offense intended.

Reading the comments I don't get it, James Robinson didn't even complain...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35149955/after-dnp-jets-rb-james-robinson-upset-wonders-how-fits

""Obviously, I didn't come here not to play," Robinson told ESPN on Wednesday. "Obviously, they brought me here for a reason. I don't expect anything unless I work for it, and I've been working my *** off. Me not playing pisses me off."

"Obviously, I was upset about it," he said. "I don't know what they have planned for me."
Reporter asked him how he felt after being healthy scratched, what's he going to say, "I love it, I hope I get healthy scratched again"? Anyway, the Jets had Knight waiting in the wings since September but have been trying to get him carries for weeks. Knowing that:
a) they shouldn't have traded for Robinson knowing this and giving up two picks for nothing.
b) if Robinson can't run in a zone-read system (Saleh mentioned style of running?)

Nothing magically changed with Robinson over the last 2 weeks. He's the same one-cut, tough runner coming back from a major injury that's sapped some of his ability.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35149955/after-dnp-jets-rb-james-robinson-upset-wonders-how-fits

""Obviously, I didn't come here not to play," Robinson told ESPN on Wednesday. "Obviously, they brought me here for a reason. I don't expect anything unless I work for it, and I've been working my *** off. Me not playing pisses me off."

"Obviously, I was upset about it," he said. "I don't know what they have planned for me."
Reporter asked him how he felt after being healthy scratched, what's he going to say, "I love it, I hope I get healthy scratched again"? Anyway, the Jets had Knight waiting in the wings since September but have been trying to get him carries for weeks. Knowing that:
a) they shouldn't have traded for Robinson knowing this and giving up two picks for nothing.
b) if Robinson can't run in a zone-read system (Saleh mentioned style of running?)

Nothing magically changed with Robinson over the last 2 weeks. He's the same one-cut, tough runner coming back from a major injury that's sapped some of his ability.
If you peel back the onion a bit, the writer of that ESPN article is Rich Cimini, long-time beat writer for the team. He's been known to stir things up, so the article may come across a bit more damning than is actually the case.

You're supposed to be upset when you get benched. I would be more alarmed (and I imagine so would coaches) if he wasn't. I mean I guess he could give the standard Bull Durham reply, but not sure how sitting out is supposed to help the ball club. Hard to make that argument in the 1st person with a straight face as a competitor.

I don’t see anything wrong with his comments. It’s a sensational headline.

I don’t see anything wrong with his comments. It’s a sensational headline.
I hate crap like that from writers/editors. His comment was fine but a lot of people will just run with the headline.

Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur said James Robinson is a "big part" of the team's plans in 2023.​

We'll see about that. LaFleur suggests that Robinson's torn Achilles suffered at the end of the 2021 season may have played a role in him being a healthy scratch for the last month of the season. He also added that Robinson's injury "takes a lot of time and rehab" to recover from, but at times, Robinson looked rather impressive for a player just months removed from a torn Achilles. Still, there's merit to what LaFleur said, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Robinson more involved in 2023. Of course, rookie running back Breece Hall (knee) should be back in the fold, and it will be hard to forget what Zonovan Knight showed at various points during his rookie season. The Jets traded a late-round pick to the Jaguars to acquire Robinson earlier this season. With so little invested in him, the team is unlikely to feel obligated to force him into a role if they prefer other players on the roster.
Jan 5, 2023, 11:07 AM ET

Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur said James Robinson is a "big part" of the team's plans in 2023.​

We'll see about that. LaFleur suggests that Robinson's torn Achilles suffered at the end of the 2021 season may have played a role in him being a healthy scratch for the last month of the season. He also added that Robinson's injury "takes a lot of time and rehab" to recover from, but at times, Robinson looked rather impressive for a player just months removed from a torn Achilles. Still, there's merit to what LaFleur said, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Robinson more involved in 2023. Of course, rookie running back Breece Hall (knee) should be back in the fold, and it will be hard to forget what Zonovan Knight showed at various points during his rookie season. The Jets traded a late-round pick to the Jaguars to acquire Robinson earlier this season. With so little invested in him, the team is unlikely to feel obligated to force him into a role if they prefer other players on the roster.
Jan 5, 2023, 11:07 AM ET
I'm not even sure Mike LaFleur is a big part of the team's plan in 2023.

Not seeing it with Breece, Knight and Carter already in the fold. Plus I believe Robinson is a RFA and I doubt gets tendered.

What's the outlook here? I feel like he has a shot, another full year removed from his injury (I know it's a terrible RB injury), if we assume he does not stay with the Jets. Based on the rankings he's toast. Garbage. Thinking of selling him for a smallish return if possible, but also I just feel personally a lot more optimistic about him than most of the rankings. Which I guess tells me I should hang onto him. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread