What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (2 Viewers)

What's the outlook here? I feel like he has a shot, another full year removed from his injury (I know it's a terrible RB injury), if we assume he does not stay with the Jets. Based on the rankings he's toast. Garbage. Thinking of selling him for a smallish return if possible, but also I just feel personally a lot more optimistic about him than most of the rankings. Which I guess tells me I should hang onto him. Any thoughts?

You’ll get nothing for him but there’s a glut of running backs for 2023. So holding would be probably the best option given you’ll get no return, but he might just be on the way out of the league.

What's the outlook here? I feel like he has a shot, another full year removed from his injury (I know it's a terrible RB injury), if we assume he does not stay with the Jets. Based on the rankings he's toast. Garbage. Thinking of selling him for a smallish return if possible, but also I just feel personally a lot more optimistic about him than most of the rankings. Which I guess tells me I should hang onto him. Any thoughts?

You’ll get nothing for him but there’s a glut of running backs for 2023. Holding is probably the best option given you’ll get no return, but he might just be on the way out of the league.
Yeah, true, the rookies and FA's will make it hard for him to find a spot. I know the injury is a devastating one, but I just keep getting stuck on "not old yet, and had 1,400 total yards as a rookie" and thinking there has to be at least somewhat realistic potential to return to solid RB status. But yeah you're probably right, everyone hates him currently so I guess it's a hold and see if he's with keeping on cut-down day in the summer.

You’ll get nothing for him but there’s a glut of running backs for 2023. Holding is probably the best option given you’ll get no return, but he might just be on the way out of the league.
Yeah, true, the rookies and FA's will make it hard for him to find a spot. I know the injury is a devastating one, but I just keep getting stuck on "not old yet, and had 1,400 total yards as a rookie" and thinking there has to be at least somewhat realistic potential to return to solid RB status. But yeah you're probably right, everyone hates him currently so I guess it's a hold and see if he's with keeping on cut-down day in the summer.
He was never a very explosive guy to begin with, mainly a hard nosed RB with good vision. But even the best vision won’t help if you don’t have the explosiveness to get to the second level - and that Achilles seemed to sapped him of that.

He was never a very explosive guy to begin with, mainly a hard nosed RB with good vision. But even the best vision won’t help if you don’t have the explosiveness to get to the second level - and that Achilles seemed to sapped him of that.
Beginning of the year I thought I’d blown it dealing for ETN when Robinson came out racking up yards/TDs.

Then he just fell off the map. Traded to the Jets, then healthy scratched.

Started 20.3, 16.4, 24.1 FP
Then 3, 6.2, 6.8, 0, 1.7
And then it got ugly.

I’ve seen a couple folks expressing concern about his impact on Hall next year. Long as Hall is vertical, I don’t really see that as an issue.

Beginning of the year I thought I’d blown it dealing for ETN when Robinson came out racking up yards/TDs.

Then he just fell off the map. Traded to the Jets, then healthy scratched.

Started 20.3, 16.4, 24.1 FP
Then 3, 6.2, 6.8, 0, 1.7
And then it got ugly.

I’ve seen a couple folks expressing concern about his impact on Hall next year. Long as Hall is vertical, I don’t really see that as an issue.
Pretty sure he’s a UFA - with all the other FAs and rookies, he will likely have to fight for a backup role somewhere or maybe land on a practice squad. Things change fast for sure.

Pretty sure he’s a UFA - with all the other FAs and rookies, he will likely have to fight for a backup role somewhere or maybe land on a practice squad. Things change fast for sure.
Oof - his timing could literally not be worse for that.

Practice squad might be the most likely outcome. After week 2 I dealt him+David Bell for Gabe Davis. Even the biggest Davis hater would probably be thrilled with that deal.

I think we kind of see it the same way.

I own him on 5 dynasty teams and they are all smaller roster leagues, mainly 14 but one that allows up to 16 position players. On all 5 of those leagues if I had to make a choice today on cutting him or being part of that top 14/16 he would be cut in all 5, and know if I tried to trade him now I'd not get anything worthwhile. But I still got some hope about him for reasons you stated and I want to see what transpires in FA. The market is stacked against him so I don't expect much money but still want to see where he lands and not ruling out it's a spot I'd try and create a spot for him or maybe someone will value him as handcuff/threat and pay me something for him.

Still leaving the light on for him, but it's getting really dim.

The Jets did not tender restricted free agent RB James Robinson, making him a free agent.​

We're just two months removed from offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur saying Robinson was a "big part" of the Jets' 2023 plans. Now, it turns out neither LaFleur nor Robinson will be in the team's plans next season, as LaFleur is now with the Rams, and Robinson is set to hit the open market. Now free to sign with any team, Robinson will look for a place to rebound from a down 2022 season that saw him get traded to a Jets team that made him a healthy scratch for the final month of the season. Now more than a year removed from a torn Achilles that he suffered at the end of the 2021 season, Robinson should have a chance to earn a role as added depth on a roster, in hopes of earning snaps further down the line.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
Mar 10, 2023, 1:02 PM ET

So sad that he got that injury before he was able to secure a 2nd contract. Hopefully he has managed his money well because he may not be long for the league.

Patriots signed RB James Robinson, formerly of the Jets, to a two-year, $8 million contract.

Since breaking out as an undrafted rookie with the Jaguars in 2020, Robinson has seen a once-promising career quickly unravel. Robinson held onto his starting role in 2021 after rookie first-rounder Travis Etienne suffered a season-ending injury in training camp, but a torn Achilles in Week 16 would bring his year to an end and slow him throughout much of 2022. Despite an alleged clean bill of health entering last season, Robinson became expendable as Etienne emerged, leading the Jaguars to trade him for a late-round pick. Robinson appeared in just four games for the Jets, rushing 29 times for 85 scoreless yards. He was a healthy scratch for the final five games of the season. Now in New England, he could earn RB2 duties behind Rhamondre Stevenson next season, but it's more likely he's a lightly used member of a multi-back committee, making him hard to trust for fantasy.
- Tom Pelissero, Twitter

Glad he got that money, he was a UDFA, right? Good for him.
Yes, nice to see for him, always been a fan of his especially around here because all of you keep trying to treat him like a slug, lol.

Seriously only negative for me he just complicated a whole mess of cut down decisions I got to make in next two weeks in FFPC as I thought he was sure to be a cut, still might be but not a fan of cutting young #2's who have had success, plus I like to pull for him.

Will be interesting to see what Damien Harris signs for compared to the Robinson contract...Pats have basically traded Meyers and Harris for Juju and Robinson...not sure how much of a difference there will end up being...gotta add more than that if they want to get out of the mediocre world they are currently in.

Glad he got that money, he was a UDFA, right? Good for him.
Yes, nice to see for him, always been a fan of his especially around here because all of you keep trying to treat him like a slug, lol.

Seriously only negative for me he just complicated a whole mess of cut down decisions I got to make in next two weeks in FFPC as I thought he was sure to be a cut, still might be but not a fan of cutting young #2's who have had success, plus I like to pull for him.
Well, to that end he might still be a cut in FF with a short bench/smaller foster.

I don’t see him taking all of the Harris touches. Feel like it’s gonna be 65% Stevenson/35% everyone else.

Not hating on the dude. Just a tough situation with R.S. seemingly in full command of that backfield.

That said, Pats run a lot, so the flip side to that argument is that if R.S. were to miss time, Robinson could suddenly find himself in a semi-featured role.

Tough call.

Pats have basically traded Meyers and Harris for Juju and Robinson
I see both as slight downgrades. Juju never really impressed me outside of 1 game in KC, and while Harris fell out of favor with coaches and had some injuries, he isn’t a terrible RB.

I’m still trying to figure out what happened to Robinson in NYJ. They dealt for him, then barely used him & made him a healthy scratch the last 5 games. Did we ever find out why?

Pats have basically traded Meyers and Harris for Juju and Robinson
I see both as slight downgrades. Juju never really impressed me outside of 1 game in KC, and while Harris fell out of favor with coaches and had some injuries, he isn’t a terrible RB.

I’m still trying to figure out what happened to Robinson in NYJ. They dealt for him, then barely used him & made him a healthy scratch the last 5 games. Did we ever find out why?

I don't think Harris fell out of favor as much as Stevenson asserted himself as the better RB and his injuries did nothing to help out as well...Harris is a perfect fit as the thunder in a thunder and lightning RBBC...would be a nice fit with Cook in Buffalo.

IIRC, Carter and Robinson were struggling in the ground game. Saleh brought Knight into the mix for a spark and Robinson was the odd man out - not playing special teams (which Ty Johnson did) was probably a big factor. Then when Knight popped, they kept Robinson inactive. He also seemed to vocalize his displeasure about being inactive, which didn’t help his cause.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick referred to free agent addition James Robinson as a depth signing.​

“He’ll give us some depth in the backfield,” was Belichick's exact quote. Although Robinson seems like the exact sort of "little things" back Belichick could fall in love with, his addition was probably ultimately good news for the Pats' young backs after Damien Harris walked in free agency. He certainly won't be Rhamondre Stevenson's biggest concern. Although Robinson's guarantees are unclear, he signed for only two years and $4 million. He might be on the outside looking in of a 53-man roster spot behind sophomores Pierre Strong and Kevin Harris, though he could emerge as a special teams mainstay.
SOURCE: ESPN
Apr 2, 2023, 9:53 AM ET

Patriots coach Bill Belichick referred to free agent addition James Robinson as a depth signing.​

“He’ll give us some depth in the backfield,” was Belichick's exact quote. Although Robinson seems like the exact sort of "little things" back Belichick could fall in love with, his addition was probably ultimately good news for the Pats' young backs after Damien Harris walked in free agency. He certainly won't be Rhamondre Stevenson's biggest concern. Although Robinson's guarantees are unclear, he signed for only two years and $4 million. He might be on the outside looking in of a 53-man roster spot behind sophomores Pierre Strong and Kevin Harris, though he could emerge as a special teams mainstay.
SOURCE: ESPN
Apr 2, 2023, 9:53 AM ET
That last sentence is strange because he never played special teams - in fact, one of the main reasons he was inactive down the stretch last year. I guess guys can and have to morph their games though.

NE can move on from Robinson very easily. He agreed to a contract without a signing bonus or any guaranteed money. The Pats also have Ty Montgomery coming back. They loved him last year before he got hurt right before the season started.

The stuff listed that Robinson could emerge as a special teams mainstay is something tacked on to the write up. Robinson has never played a snap on special teams in the NFL. He returned 15 kickoffs in college (14 as a freshman) and returned 1 punt. Maybe NE will try to integrate him somewhere on special teams, but that might be hard to learn on the fly, given that it’s been 7 years since he returned a few kicks.

The Athletic's Chad Graff projects Patriots RB James Robinson will be left off the team's 53-man roster.​

Yes, it's only May. And there's a lot of time left for things to unfold. But Graff is already predicting Robinson, along with J.J. Taylor, to be among the Patriots' final roster cuts this summer. The Patriots signed Robinson to a two-year, $4 million contract this offseason in a move head coach Bill Belichick said gives the Pats "some depth in the backfield", which is hardly a financial commitment if he underwhelms in training camp. With Rhamondre Stevenson already locked into an RB1 role, the Patriots have second-year running backs Pierre Strong and Kevin Harris on the roster, who they drafted just a year ago. After being traded to the Jets last season, Robinson was unable to get on the field despite the team utilizing multiple backs following the injury to Breece Hall. The former undrafted rookie free agent who wowed us in 2020 with 1,414 yards from scrimmage and 10 touchdowns hasn't quite been the same since suffering a torn Achilles at the end of 2021. His camp battle will be one to monitor this offseason.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 1, 2023, 2:37 PM ET

Dang, not really invested in him any longer but was pulling for him.

Got to give the beat writes who predicted he was a cut candidate before they ever practiced credit. Guess they knew something.Kind of an odd contract/daliance between the two. Like why even bother?

Dang, not really invested in him any longer but was pulling for him.

Got to give the beat writes who predicted he was a cut candidate before they ever practiced credit. Guess they knew something.Kind of an odd contract/daliance between the two. Like why even bother?
Maybe they were just trying to get some Jets’ info, although those are usually in-season moves.

The way his contract was written left him open to being released. It could also mean NE is trying to free up space to sign Hopkins.
Possibly Cook? Or is Stevenson a real bell cow this year?
That would leave a lot of Cook and Stevenson owners very unhappy.
I don't see them pursuing Cook. He'd likely want way more money than they would offer him . . . and I can't imagine 30 other franchises wouldn't pony up more $$$ than NE would.

Camp observers indicate Robinson didn't have much juice in practice and didn't flash much. That's probably not a good sign for him moving forward this preseason.

Unless they bring in another legit RB or Strong and Harris are the second coming of Vereen and Ridley the Pats are a Stevenson injury away from having some big RB issues.

Unless they bring in another legit RB or Strong and Harris are the second coming of Vereen and Ridley the Pats are a Stevenson injury away from having some big RB issues.
I wouldn’t be shocked if they did add one of these free agent vets late in camp.
I would think Kareem Hunt is the type of RB Belichick likes.
Makes sense since they’d most likely want a 3rd down guy. Hunt was/is more than that but he can fit that role.

End of the line with Robinson as far as fantasy. Time to send him to the waiver wire. He’s just taking up valuable real estate.

Looks like he made about $2.5 million before taxes plus a debt free college experience. Certainly not a bad way to start out as a 24 year old. Hopefully he has his degree and saved the money so he can set-up well for the rest of his life. I wish he could have gotten one jucier bite at the apple but I suppose given where he came from, he did more than anyone ever could have expected.

Camp observers indicate Robinson didn't have much juice in practice and didn't flash much. That's probably not a good sign for him moving forward this preseason.
He looked terrible with the Jets last season.
Per The Athletics NE beat writer he has issues with his knees which started troubling him last year. Mike Reiss was hinting around that maybe he could not pass his physical.

He looked terrible with the Jets last season.
Per The Athletics NE beat writer he has issues with his knees which started troubling him last year. Mike Reiss was hinting around that maybe he could not pass his physical.
He has had sore knee issues since his Achilles tear which really (because both knees) means he's compensating and not 100 percent ready.
I've seen it fixed with a PT in weeks or months, depends on the individual and how accepting they are that they're doing something simple (running) wrong and willing to correct it.
He's in shape, pics look great.

It's not dissimilar to someone limping with a twisted ankle and then their hip, knee, or other ankle get sore.
That his knees aren't treated and aren't examined with MRIs and the usual makes this predictable too

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports "injuries were the issue" for James Robinson, who was released by the Patriots on Monday.

Robison "couldn't stay on the field" during offseason practices and the Pats cut bait with him after signing him to a two-year deal in March. Robinson, 24, has been unable to maintain a spot on an NFL roster since tearing his Achilles at the end of the 2021 season. In four games with the Jets last season, he averaged a meager 2.9 yards per carry. Robinson should be able to catch on with another team as a backfield depth signing who has no real path to touches. Like many running backs recovering from an Achilles injury, it could take Robinson several years to get all the way back to form.
SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter
Jun 13, 2023, 8:37 AM ET

The way his contract was written left him open to being released. It could also mean NE is trying to free up space to sign Hopkins.
Possibly Cook? Or is Stevenson a real bell cow this year?
That would leave a lot of Cook and Stevenson owners very unhappy.
I don't see them pursuing Cook. He'd likely want way more money than they would offer him . . . and I can't imagine 30 other franchises wouldn't pony up more $$$ than NE would.
That was my thought as well. I don't recall NE ever paying a lot for a RB while Emperor Palpatine has been in charge.

Did they pay Corey Dillon a lot?

Users who are viewing this thread