What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth said:
I have to say, Sammy has been a bit underwhelming through 19 games. He's topped 100 yards only 4 times. He's score only 7 touchdowns. Maybe he's just not as good as advertised.
Or maybe if you actually watched his healthy snaps you'd see that he's already elite at a few things and is just one healthy stretch and some targets away from being untouchable in dynasty again. He was a beast last year in a horrible situation, he's just had problems with injuries.

Sabertooth said:
I have to say, Sammy has been a bit underwhelming through 19 games. He's topped 100 yards only 4 times. He's score only 7 touchdowns. Maybe he's just not as good as advertised.
Or maybe if you actually watched his healthy snaps you'd see that he's already elite at a few things and is just one healthy stretch and some targets away from being untouchable in dynasty again. He was a beast last year in a horrible situation, he's just had problems with injuries.
So, there is a chance he will be the next Andre - tons of talent and as many injury concerns as TDs

Sabertooth said:
So, there is a chance he will be the next Andre - tons of talent and as many injury concerns as TDs
I guess, which would also mean a long stretch of near HOF-level production (minus the TD's). But I think when this thread was started a lot of that comparison had to do with skill-set, which was and is still a really poor projection.

Sabertooth said:
I guess, which would also mean a long stretch of near HOF-level production (minus the TD's). But I think when this thread was started a lot of that comparison had to do with skill-set, which was and is still a really poor projection.
I was just joking... sprta.

Id agree different type of WRs. Honestly I think more AJ Green , playstyle. Little long, thin but plasticman athletics re jumping for balls etc. I See Andre as more a smooth runner, receiver and always solid and reliable plus his long game burst...

I can't help feeling that Sammy will be a disappointment this year. Double-teamed. Run-heavy team. Dinged up. Etc. The excuses will keep piling up. But then you keep thinking he's the supposed #1 WR on his team with a QB that is looking good and the hope won't die. Ugh.
The offense isn't as run heavy or conservative as advertised. And the double teams may diminish if the contributions from Harvin and Clay continue (Woods is also a decent threat too).

Wait until Watkins gets healthy and then decide for yourself. I'm confident the points will be there.
:confused:

The offense is incredibly run heavy. Have to see about the injury, but I can't imagine starting him with any confidence until he has a fairly big game AND stays healthy, which could take a while.
So far this hasn't been true.
Um, of course it has been true so far.
97 rush 78 pass.
Factoring in Taylor's 17 rushes (scrambles), the pass calls are about 50/50... which is pretty significant considering they had big, early leads in 2 of their first 3 games.
50/50 would still make them a bottom 5 passing team... even if you chose to count those running plays as passing plays.
But, as I said above, you also have to factor in the fact that they raced out to large early leads in 2 out of their first 3 games. That's not going to happen again in most of their regular season games. In addition, Taylor is much better than anticipated and they are already starting to open up the offense more than at the start of the season. The passing opportunities and targets for Watkins are trending up once he's back.

I can't help feeling that Sammy will be a disappointment this year. Double-teamed. Run-heavy team. Dinged up. Etc. The excuses will keep piling up. But then you keep thinking he's the supposed #1 WR on his team with a QB that is looking good and the hope won't die. Ugh.
The offense isn't as run heavy or conservative as advertised. And the double teams may diminish if the contributions from Harvin and Clay continue (Woods is also a decent threat too).

Wait until Watkins gets healthy and then decide for yourself. I'm confident the points will be there.
:confused:

The offense is incredibly run heavy. Have to see about the injury, but I can't imagine starting him with any confidence until he has a fairly big game AND stays healthy, which could take a while.
So far this hasn't been true.
Um, of course it has been true so far.
97 rush 78 pass.
Factoring in Taylor's 17 rushes (scrambles), the pass calls are about 50/50... which is pretty significant considering they had big, early leads in 2 of their first 3 games.
50/50 would still make them a bottom 5 passing team... even if you chose to count those running plays as passing plays.
But, as I said above, you also have to factor in the fact that they raced out to large early leads in 2 out of their first 3 games. That's not going to happen again in most of their regular season games. In addition, Taylor is much better than anticipated and they are already starting to open up the offense more than at the start of the season. The passing opportunities and targets for Watkins are trending up once he's back.
as a watkins owner, i think he's a great buy in dyno leagues right now. i still have faith in his talent, but i know as a watkins owner his price is pretty low right now and i'd consider some pretty low-ball offers right now.

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, but based on the box score it looks like Buffalo missed having Watkins out there. IF he can get healthy, his time is coming.

Rotoworld:

Bills coach Rex Ryan "feels good" about Sammy Watkins' (calf) odds of returning for Week 6.
WKBW Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia reported earlier Monday that "everything is trending up" for Watkins in Week 6. Watkins' presence has been sorely missed the past two weeks, with the Bills missing almost any semblance of a vertical element. Watkins would be on the WR2/3 borderline if he's active against the Bengals.

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter
Oct 12 - 1:26 PM

He really HAS become the next Andre Johnson. I think Johnson was nothing but hurt off and on the first 3-4 years of his career, too.

Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins (calf) expects to play 40-50 snaps in Sunday's game against the Bengals.

Watkins practiced on a limited basis Wednesday and "definitely" plans to play this week. He said he expects to draw double coverage, and could be more of a decoy at less than 100 percent. Watkins will be a low-end WR2/FLEX option if he returns.

Source: ESPN.com

Oct 14 - 4:29 PM

Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins (calf) expects to play 40-50 snaps in Sunday's game against the Bengals.

Watkins practiced on a limited basis Wednesday and "definitely" plans to play this week. He said he expects to draw double coverage, and could be more of a decoy at less than 100 percent. Watkins will be a low-end WR2/FLEX option if he returns.

So Watkins just happened to tell the whole world, including his next opponent, that he plans to be a decoy? What am I missing here?

Rotoworld:

So Watkins just happened to tell the whole world, including his next opponent, that he plans to be a decoy? What am I missing here?
Don't worry about me Marvin. I'm just a decoy.

Rotoworld:

He also said something about not being worried about it and if it pop, it pops. Not quite what I want to hear.

Alex P Keaton said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins (calf) expects to play 40-50 snaps in Sunday's game against the Bengals.Watkins practiced on a limited basis Wednesday and "definitely" plans to play this week. He said he expects to draw double coverage, and could be more of a decoy at less than 100 percent. Watkins will be a low-end WR2/FLEX option if he returns.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Alex P Keaton said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins (calf) expects to play 40-50 snaps in Sunday's game against the Bengals.Watkins practiced on a limited basis Wednesday and "definitely" plans to play this week. He said he expects to draw double coverage, and could be more of a decoy at less than 100 percent. Watkins will be a low-end WR2/FLEX option if he returns.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"
Coincidentally this is the 2nd reference to The Princess Bride Ive had today, the other being via text.

that quote/article is awesome. good for him for stating the obvious... wtf are you moving up the draft to get him if you arent going to throw him the ball.... he probably oculd have saved them for a time when he was actually ont he field playing though :)

Sammy better be careful about what he is asking for. My recollection of the first four games last year was that EJ had a tendency to hang Sammy out to dry for big hits

Alex P Keaton said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

One of my favorite scenes in that movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/654766901147537408

Bills WR Sammy Watkins is upset with his lack of targets, telling The Buffalo News that he and his agent told the team, "You came up to draft me and I'm not getting targets -- that's a problem. You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad."
Good for Sammy!!! I hope they tell him to shut up and fall in place so that he gets the HELL out of Buffalo and on a team where he won't rot away. Trade him!!! Move him!!! Or feed the monster!!!! It's about time. The squeaky wheel gets the oil!

His QB is playing at very high level and the offense and team have been playing well. I can see how fantasy owners are chomping at the bit, but lets be honest- there are plenty of other players making plays for Buff. He needs to stay on the field and keep getting open and stop being so sour grapes, he doesn't have the equity with coaches/team that a Roddy White has to be whining about touches.

How does this story get put out there attributing a quote to him AND HIS AGENT?

Been searching all over and can't seem to find a credible source telling me who said exactly what, and in what tone or context. It's moments like this that I think most "journalists" are sensationalist bastards that embarrass their profession.

Rotoworld:

Coincidentally this is the 2nd reference to The Princess Bride Ive had today, the other being via text.
inconceivable!

Bills WR Sammy Watkins is upset with his lack of targets, telling The Buffalo News that he and his agent told the team, "You came up to draft me and I'm not getting targets -- that's a problem. You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad."
I think the OC would get fired if he called plays to target a player sitting on the bench due to injury.

I think the OC would get fired if he called plays to target a player sitting on the bench due to injury.
Not in Detroit.

I need 10 targets...yeah, 10 targets. I know I am on the sidelines in street clothes, but 10 targets. You are making me look bad....

His timing stinks, given that he just missed two games, but I agree with Watkins' message. Now, on the one hand, he did have 128 targets last season, which while only tied for 21st in the NFL, was still the 3rd most of all rookie WRs in 2014, but on the other hand, in two of his three healthy games this year, he had only 3 and 2 targets (although both were games the Bills won by a lot, so the flow of the game dictated that they didn't need to throw to him a lot). I think he sees the writing on the wall that a Rex Ryan offense is not going to feed any one WR on a consistent basis and is trying to get ahead of it before getting back on the field .

His timing stinks, given that he just missed two games, but I agree with Watkins' message. Now, on the one hand, he did have 128 targets last season, which while only tied for 21st in the NFL, was still the 3rd most of all rookie WRs in 2014, but on the other hand, in two of his three healthy games this year, he had only 3 and 2 targets (although both were games the Bills won by a lot, so the flow of the game dictated that they didn't need to throw to him a lot). I think he sees the writing on the wall that a Rex Ryan offense is not going to feed any one WR on a consistent basis and is trying to get ahead of it before getting back on the field .
In the game in which he got the two targets, Sammy only played for less than one quarter.

How does this story get put out there attributing a quote to him AND HIS AGENT?

Been searching all over and can't seem to find a credible source telling me who said exactly what, and in what tone or context. It's moments like this that I think most "journalists" are sensationalist bastards that embarrass their profession.
Tyler Dunne original source for this article?

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/15/sammy-watkins-speaks-up-when-i-get-one-on-one-just-target-me/

If so, seems like the sort of thing that leads to a player cutting off the media the way Lynch has done. Both Buffalo market. Coincidence? I'm asking because I don't know. Not looking to prove some point.
The source is likely Watkins' agent who is trying to get his client more targets or the hell out of Buffalo. Putting it in the media could possibly lead to trade offers from other teams or put fan pressure on the coaching staff to get his client the more targets he wants.

I've listened to several ex-players, namely Ross Tucker, who say it's fairly common for agents to be the source of player or coach gripes or relocation scenarios. Tucker and the guys from the Around the NFL podcast both speculate that it's Sean Payton's own agent spreading the Sean Payton to Miami rumors. The journalists don't reveal the agent as the source so as to protect that source.

You think the journalist just made it up? Why? And why hasn't Watkins' adamantly refuted it then?

You think the journalist just made it up? Why? And why hasn't Watkins' adamantly refuted it then?
Not at all, but this line in the article makes me raise an eyebrow.

Once the cameras leave and his corner of the locker room clears out, the Buffalo Bills’ No. 1 wide receiver explains.
It sounds like Watkins was surrounded by media after the game that eventually "clears out" leaving just Tyler Dunne hanging out. Would we be surprised if it turned into a conversation that Watkins didn't think was an interview? Maybe. I don't know. Just trying to imagine why Watkins would say these things. It makes more sense if he was under the impression that it wasn't going to get printed. Dunne has to realize he'll never get Watkins to talk again. If that's not burning a bridge, what is? Has Watkins doubled down on this? If he has, I haven't seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread