What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill, RB (LVR) (3 Viewers)

I think this shows why it's tough for one team to support two productive FF backs. When everything is going smoothly and you're able to run the ball a lot, there might be enough touches to feed both guys. But in games where things get ugly, someone inevitably has to suffer. The Bengals ranked 1st in the NFL in rushing attempts per game over the first four weeks of the season, averaging 34 attempts per game. Tonight they fell behind early and had to abandon their usual approach. They only ran the ball 19 times, which is just over half of their pace from their first three games.

They ran the ball 30 times per game last season (8th in the league) even with BJGE being a black hole of production, so clearly they have a desire to run. That will probably continue and most games won't be as brutal as this one. However, this is the big difference between having a back who gets the majority of his team's work and having a guy who gets the table scraps. When there are no table scraps to be had, he doesn't eat.
Most of this is plainly obvious, although I disagree about the table scraps part.
You would think it's obvious, but we're still blasted with a barrage of people touting the merits of ignoring RBs early because you can just plug in insert-name-of-inconsistent-guy-that-explodes-on-your-bench-and-does-diddly-in-your-lineup here.

How many people played Ridley over Hill last week, and then Hill over Ridley this week? How many people had Ridley or Pierre Thomas in their lineups last week and then on their bench this week? Most, I would wager.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this shows why it's tough for one team to support two productive FF backs. When everything is going smoothly and you're able to run the ball a lot, there might be enough touches to feed both guys. But in games where things get ugly, someone inevitably has to suffer. The Bengals ranked 1st in the NFL in rushing attempts per game over the first four weeks of the season, averaging 34 attempts per game. Tonight they fell behind early and had to abandon their usual approach. They only ran the ball 19 times, which is just over half of their pace from their first three games.

They ran the ball 30 times per game last season (8th in the league) even with BJGE being a black hole of production, so clearly they have a desire to run. That will probably continue and most games won't be as brutal as this one. However, this is the big difference between having a back who gets the majority of his team's work and having a guy who gets the table scraps. When there are no table scraps to be had, he doesn't eat.
Most of this is plainly obvious, although I disagree about the table scraps part.
You would think it's obvious, but we're still blasted with a barrage of people touting the merits of ignoring RBs early because you can just plug in insert-name-of-inconsistent-guy-that-explodes-on-your-bench-and-does-diddly-in-your-lineup here.How many people played Ridley over Hill last week, and then Hill over Ridley this week? How many people had Ridley or Pierre Thomas in their lineups last week and then on their bench this week? Most, I would wager.
That's kind of a separate issue, although I think people waste way too much time and effort arguing the merits of one strategy over another- it all depends on the actual players you get, not what strategy you used or the order you get them in.

That being said, I was talking more about the "analysis". Clearly Hill is their #2 RB, and when they aren't able to run the ball much his numbers are going to suffer. It's also pretty clear that they like to run the ball, and most games won't be like this one. It's also obvious that there is a "big difference" between the RB who gets the ball more than the one who doesn't. Etc.

Hill is a stash guy at this point. Just reality.

If the team is ahead, you'll see a little more of him as they'll run more and he'll help kill the clock.

If the team is behind, they will keep Gio in mostly as he's the better receiving option as they try to catch up.

-QG

Doesn't seem that complicated. Two series for Bernard then one for Hill. Hill gets what he can when it's his turn. Maybe he gets more in blowouts less in close games.

Anyone thinking that with all the injuries to Cinci receivers (especially Green), Hill could get more touches as they're forced to rely on the running game? He was dropped in my 16-team league and I'm considering dropping Jordan Matthews and putting in a claim for him.

I think this is the week he explodes onto the scene. Bengals really need to use him. I'd give him more carries than Gio and let Gio play a little WR.

If he gets 5-7 carries, it would be criminal. The Bengals are down to Sanu, Gio and Hill. Everyone else on the offense sucks. Who else is gonna get the ball?

Anyone thinking that with all the injuries to Cinci receivers (especially Green), Hill could get more touches as they're forced to rely on the running game? He was dropped in my 16-team league and I'm considering dropping Jordan Matthews and putting in a claim for him.
Seriously, if he's available in a 16-team league, run to the waiver wire.

The short passing game can be effective too

I think what We would be banking on is an over used Bernard, leading to a second half cruise to a Win..

Basically Hill earning a positive split in time-share for the latter part of the game

The Team should be motivated after that huge Loss..

A strong running game builds character..

However, I still have Hill on the BN.. Im also not too sure about Eagles players in general..

Yeah, I guess that has to be the right Call

If its start two RB, that would make for RB32 having value!

ignore my last post!

Yeah, it's definitely the kind of league where you grab anyone who has value.

Not to get too far into the weeds, but the only limitation is that we can only start 2 RBs (our flex is a WR/TE). Since my starters are DeMarco and Ellington, Hill would have to really bust out to make it into the lineup. OTOH, given the injury history of those two (plus Bradshaw, my RB3), he would be a nice insurance policy.

So the consensus this week is to bench him? Or start him?
You can't start him but you can't drop him. End of story. :cry:
Sounds a little like roster poison. But that's not what I'm asking. Are we starting him or sitting him this week?
If he's talking about dropping him, he's obviously talking redraft. In a redraft league, one had to imagine that he wasn't going to be a huge contributor as a rookie unless Bernard was injured.

In a dynasty the notion that he is "roster poison" is laughable. Most owners aren't, or shouldn't be, relying on their rookie picks to be in their line-ups week in and week out. You have championed Freeman as a better rookie option in this thread, because he was more likely to be a feature back. Has that worked out well for you?

I started him last week due to byes and injuries. This week I will not be because I have better options.

If AJ is out, I can see Hill having a good fantasy day. Didn't he rack up his best stats in week 2 when AJ left the game with an injury?

Sounds a little like roster poison. But that's not what I'm asking. Are we starting him or sitting him this week?
:lmao: You starting your boy Freeman?
No, but i would still take freeman over hill in dynasty. Freeman has been surprisingly good so far. He had one nightmare game with 11 rushes for 12 yards and a fumble in mop duty in a blowout. Everyone knew he was in to run the clock out, and he sucked at it. But in his other for games, he has 8 rushes for 61 yards and 11 catches for 96 yards. Even with that game, he's averaging 3.9 ypc with 12 for 103 receiving. Not bad considering he's in for spot duty. And while antone smith has stolen the show with big plays this season, they aren't talking about him as a feature back, and they still seem determined to get freeman carries. In fact, Jacquizz is losing touches while Freeman is slowly gaining them. So the momentum, while slow, is positive.

I don't think we will see a changing of the guard right away, but I do still see real long term upside in freeman that I don't see in hill while bernard is there. Which is basically what I've said all along: I want a potential stud, not a touchdown dependent part time back, and in willing to risk drafting a bust to get the higher upside player.

No, but i would still take freeman over hill in dynasty.Freeman has been surprisingly good so far. He had one nightmare game with 11 rushes for 12 yards and a fumble in mop duty in a blowout. Everyone knew he was in to run the clock out, and he sucked at it. But in his other for games, he has 8 rushes for 61 yards and 11 catches for 96 yards. Even with that game, he's averaging 3.9 ypc with 12 for 103 receiving. Not bad considering he's in for spot duty. And while antone smith has stolen the show with big plays this season, they aren't talking about him as a feature back, and they still seem determined to get freeman carries. In fact, Jacquizz is losing touches while Freeman is slowly gaining them. So the momentum, while slow, is positive.

I don't think we will see a changing of the guard right away, but I do still see real long term upside in freeman that I don't see in hill while bernard is there. Which is basically what I've said all along: I want a potential stud, not a touchdown dependent part time back, and in willing to risk drafting a bust to get the higher upside player.
Your assumption is that the job will be Freeman's all alone some day. That isn't likely to be the reality. He looks far more like a complimentary back than Hill does.

No, but i would still take freeman over hill in dynasty.Freeman has been surprisingly good so far. He had one nightmare game with 11 rushes for 12 yards and a fumble in mop duty in a blowout. Everyone knew he was in to run the clock out, and he sucked at it. But in his other for games, he has 8 rushes for 61 yards and 11 catches for 96 yards. Even with that game, he's averaging 3.9 ypc with 12 for 103 receiving. Not bad considering he's in for spot duty. And while antone smith has stolen the show with big plays this season, they aren't talking about him as a feature back, and they still seem determined to get freeman carries. In fact, Jacquizz is losing touches while Freeman is slowly gaining them. So the momentum, while slow, is positive.

So the guy who is 4th on the depth chart behind pedestrian RBs and who hasn't played well is a potential stud, but the guy who is 2nd on the depth chart and has played well isn't. Gotcha.

If AJ is out, I can see Hill having a good fantasy day. Didn't he rack up his best stats in week 2 when AJ left the game with an injury?
That was also against ATL so cant really judge it. ATL makes every rb they face a superstar.
Panthers aren't exactly gangbusters vs. the run either.

I own Hill in a league where we play two at Flex. If Green is out, Hill will be my Flex2 this week. I doubt Hue will be reticent to take the air out of the ball against Carolina if AJ can't go. The Bengals get up early and Hill could see a relatively nice bump in touches this week.

Green plays then he'll be going back on my bench.

Gio is likely to be featured a ton in the passing game this week. I could see Hill out there a lot with Gio lined up wide.

Serious skills, the kind of talent that can't be suppressed. Too bad he's playing behind Gio, because they will continue to hurt each others' FF ceiling. But give the rookie a few more games, he will seriously cut into Gio's value. Good for the Bengals, bad for FF owners. His touches will increase, I see a fairly even split before season's end. Bottom line, another dreaded RBBC, but with a little more production than most.

Serious skills, the kind of talent that can't be suppressed. Too bad he's playing behind Gio, because they will continue to hurt each others' FF ceiling. But give the rookie a few more games, he will seriously cut into Gio's value. Good for the Bengals, bad for FF owners. His touches will increase, I see a fairly even split before season's end. Bottom line, another dreaded RBBC, but with a little more production than most.
Is this just a funny feeling kind of thing? I mean there's no evidence that even remotely says even split.

Is this just a funny feeling kind of thing? I mean there's no evidence that even remotely says even split.
Sounds like a Hill owner kind of thing.

Have you seen the guy play? In his limited opportunity he's shown he has ability and potential.

Have you seen the guy play? In his limited opportunity he's shown he has ability and potential.
Looking good and the Bengals changing their rotation are 2 different things.

Squintz82 said:
SproutDaddy said:
Squintz82 said:
RBM said:
SecondString said:
Looking good and the Bengals changing their rotation are 2 different things.
With that depleted Wr core I don't see how anyone can't see him not getting more opportunity. ......regardless of Gio. Gio isn't going to get 40 touches a game.

Gio is likely to be featured a ton in the passing game this week. I could see Hill out there a lot with Gio lined up wide.
This would make sense and is a logical proposition. However, Marvin Lewis is the coach, so throw this idea out the window as it has 0% chance of happening.

He's unstartable unless Gio goes down. Pretty easy read going fwd
That moment may be now.

Giovani Bernard was forced from Sunday's Week 6 game against the Panthers with a right shoulder injury.
Bernard was driven to the turf by MLB Luke Kuechly on a fourth-quarter run for no gain. From the initial looks of it, Bernard may be dealing with a significant collarbone injury. Prior to leaving, Bernard rushed for a career-high 115 yards and one touchdown on 13 carries, with 89 of those yards coming on a long touchdown run where he stiff-armed one tackler and bounced off another before out-running the rest of the defense. Jeremy Hill is now the No. 1 back.

That looked bad, but Gio back on the sidelines with his helmet on, looks okay. Just chest-bumped with Hill after his TD too.

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Hill rushed for 22 yards and one touchdown on eight carries in the Bengals' Week 6 with the Panthers.

He caught all four of his targets for an additional 13 yards. With A.J. Green out, we expected the Bengals to lean on their running backs. They did just that by giving Hill 12 touches and Giovani Bernard 22 touches. Both players found the end zone. Hill needs to be owned as Bernard's handcuff in 12-team leagues. He also has some standalone value as a FLEX option in plus matchups.

Oct 12 - 5:39 PM

Week 1 mostly not started.

Week 2 spot started.

Week 3 consistently started.

Week 4 bye

Week 5 consistently started

Week 6 spot started.

Through five games, he's averaging 50 total yards and .6 touchdowns per game. He has yet to get 100 total yards in a game, although he does have touchdowns in three games.

Both weeks that he was "consistently started", he had just 9.9 points. His two best weeks, with 17.6 and 13.5, he was spot started, and benched in favor of other low quality options.

Over this four week stretch (not counting week 1 or the bye) he is somewhere between rb15 and rb25, which is about what his supporters expected from him, and I agreed with that evaluation out even a slightly better one. Yet the actual performance they've gotten from him so far has been two ten point performances in ppr, or similar yuck in non ppr, which is a substantially worse pace.

This is what I've been trying to say the entire thread. And it has nothing to do with his current performance. By most accounts, he's looked good, and is doing well, and maybe even exceeding expectations even in fantasy. Yet he's am extremely frustrating player who lulls you into starting him after a good week, then you bench him after a bad week, because the tendency is to chase points, which by definition means starting him after he scored well instead of before it.

Again, he's a very good player, and I agreed with everyone who saw talent in him. But until or unless gio gets hurt or leaves town, hill will be extremely frustrating to own. Even if you see him as more than that, chances are good that his owner will eventually trade him for a loss so he would be cheaper to acquire after the draft than during it.

At this point, nothing has been "proven" one way or the other, and I'm not here to call anyone out, but I wanted to clarify my point during the season because it seemed like people misunderstood what I was saying this offseason. This is exactly the kind of player I think you should avoid, even if it means taking a player with a lower probability of success but a higher ceiling.

35 total yards

4 catches

1 touchdown

Solid day as a flex player/low end RB2 in PPR again.

19th highest scoring RB this week.

I don't really think people misunderstood, they just disagree. I think Hill's ceiling is much higher than you do.

Also, I don't put any stock in your "started" schedule. That's all going to be team specific, but I highly doubt he's in most starting line ups.

bostonfred, I own Hill and I agree with much of what you're saying, but not your conclusion.

I wouldn't be happy starting Hill weekly, but his spot start / matchup play value is here now and if Gio goes down, he could easily be a top 5 PPG RB with Hue Jax leading his reins. I never root for players to go down, but RB is where you play the high upside backup game to fantasy championships.

Cheers.

Week 1 mostly not started.

Week 2 spot started.

Week 3 consistently started.

Week 4 bye

Week 5 consistently started

Week 6 spot started.

Through five games, he's averaging 50 total yards and .6 touchdowns per game. He has yet to get 100 total yards in a game, although he does have touchdowns in three games.

Both weeks that he was "consistently started", he had just 9.9 points. His two best weeks, with 17.6 and 13.5, he was spot started, and benched in favor of other low quality options.
Yeah, this is all true for idiots who chase points. Much like many of the secondary committee backs, you look for good running match ups - bad front 7's, good expected game scripts, weak opposing offenses, etc. So far, the Atl and Ten matchups were juicy and the Carolina matchup was doable. I think Hill has been far from "frustrating" and "unpredictable."

As an example, my RBs are Shady, Joique, Hill, Bradshaw, Asiata, and Kadeem Carey as a lottery ticket. So McCoy has always started, and the second spot has been the guy with the best matchup. For me, that was only Hill once - vs Atl - but I think it's a good example of how RB2 works in standard redraft fantasy works these days.

At this point, Hill looks good to me in the following matchups: wk 9 vs Jac, wk 10 vs Cle, wk 13 @ TB, wk 14 vs Pit. Next week @ Ind and wk 12 @ Hou are possibilities, but since I don't expect the Bengals to run away with those games, I'd be nervous.

Going forward, Hill has 4 startable weeks with handcuff upside on a powerful running team. That is a good outlook for a guy you drafted in the 11th round.

I don't really think people misunderstood, they just disagree. I think Hill's ceiling is much higher than you do.

Also, I don't put any stock in your "started" schedule. That's all going to be team specific, but I highly doubt he's in most starting line ups.
True. I only started him one of three leagues I own him, and I almost have to (thanks to Ingram's injury and Chris Johnson sucking). Fortunately, I am stacked everywhere else (Romo, Demarco, four really good WRs, Gronk, etc.), so I am fine with his meager weekly production. :)

True. I only started him one of three leagues I own him, and I almost have to (thanks to Ingram's injury and Chris Johnson sucking). Fortunately, I am stacked everywhere else (Romo, Demarco, four really good WRs, Gronk, etc.), so I am fine with his meager weekly production. :)
The problem with starting Hill -- unless you're desperate, of course -- is that there really is no way to predict which game he'll score a TD.

Without a TD, he doesn't get enough touches to be worthy of starting.

Will be interesting to see if he gets more consistent touches as the season wears on.

I doubt I would start him unless Gio missed a game, in which case he's an RB1.

Users who are viewing this thread