What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Eric Ebron, PIT (1 Viewer)

The Detroit Free Press expects Eric Ebron to be more involved in the red-zone.

Ebron was held to just one touchdown last year. With Anquan Boldin gone, he's a lock to see more red-zone targets. Ebron has struggled with injuries and consistency, but there's blowup potential in a make-or-break season. Ebron's 2018 option is guaranteed for injury only.

Source:  Detroit Free Press

Jul 14 - 5:35 PM

As a Lions fan, I will say he better be good. I am bias because we need him to blow up this year. Everyone I knew wanted Aaron Donald at this pick. We also took Ebron over OBJ. In other words, the Lions took Ebron just ahead of the 2 best non QBs in the NFL. 

It also cost the world the chance to see a team line up OBJ and Calvin at WR, or put Suh and Donald in the middle. Sad we never got to see either. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein considers Eric Ebron a "prime candidate for a breakout year."

That's assuming he stays healthy, which is always a big if with Ebron. The fourth-year tight end tallied a career-high 711 receiving yards in 2016, which ranked eighth among tight ends. One way to keep Ebron fresh would be to limit his exposure on run downs, which the Lions can accomplish by giving those snaps to blocking tight end Darren Fells. With Anquan Boldin gone, Ebron can also expect a much bigger role in the red zone this year. At the moment, he's being drafted as a borderline TE1 in most fantasy leagues.

Source: ESPN.com

Jul 23 - 9:11 AM

If he had 6tds instead of 1td we wouldn't be having this conversation. Boldin led the team with 22 red zone targets, ebron will likely get more looks down there. Some things I was encouraged by last year-

1. While he still drops passes, he seemed to be focused on 3rd downs and moved the chains on many occasions, those "pressure catches" were drops the first couple years. I saw progress.

2. Even as "ineffective" as a lot of people feel he's played, he has been schemed in, and I would imagine his target share will increase.

3. A lot of people have been burned after having unrealistic expectations and will put him on their "never again" list.

For better or for worse, I traded for Ebron last season in dynasty after trading away Kelce.  

I sold high on kelce and bought low on Ebron.  I think the td totals will pop this year.  You put 8-10 tds next to 700-800 yards and you're looking at a top 3 or 4 TE.  

For better or for worse, I traded for Ebron last season in dynasty after trading away Kelce.  

I sold high on kelce and bought low on Ebron.  I think the td totals will pop this year.  You put 8-10 tds next to 700-800 yards and you're looking at a top 3 or 4 TE.  
Just curious - what was the Delta between the two trades? (What did you gain?)

Just curious - what was the Delta between the two trades? (What did you gain?)
Kelcz's salary was high (around $27), and my team last year was in the cellar.  I traded him for a 1st RD rookie pick and I think Gio Bernard if I recall.   That rookie pick will land me njoku, Howard, or engram.  

Ebron's salary is $6.  And I got him from another owner m exchange for Emmanuel sanders in his last year of his contract.  

I haven't decided what I like better.

Ebron spiking down a pass into the ground on 3rd & 5. 

Ebron having a 9 yard reception on 3rd & 15, and then boasting about it.

Probably the latter because the former negatively affects the Leos and happens far too often .  Though both are entertaining.

I haven't decided what I like better.

Ebron spiking down a pass into the ground on 3rd & 5. 

Ebron having a 9 yard reception on 3rd & 15, and then boasting about it.

Probably the latter because the former negatively affects the Leos and happens far too often .  Though both are entertaining.
I like the fire, he just needs to know when it's appropriate.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports the Lions "have spent significant time" using two-tight-end formations early in camp.

Considering the Lions lost Anquan Boldin while adding TEs Darren Fells and fourth-rounder Michael Roberts, this was an expected development, but it is still good to see it playing out in camp. Eric Ebron has not been participating in those two-TE sets because he is out with a hamstring injury, but he should benefit from Fells shouldering most of the blocking load. Ebron is a back-end TE1.

Source: Detroit Free Press 

Aug 1 - 8:39 AM

Eric Ebron (hamstring) returned to Lions practice Monday.

Ebron may have been limited to individual drills, but it's still a big step ahead of Week 1. Ebron has barely practiced since first going down on July 31. He should be ready for the opener, but timing and conditioning could be an issue. With Anquan Boldin gone, the Lions need Ebron to be a factor in the red zone. He has just seven touchdowns in 40 career games.

Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter 

Aug 28 - 2:45 PM

What are his dynasty prospects? Looks like the Lions picked up his contract for one more year.
The option the team picked up for 2018 is guaranteed for injury only. So if Ebron struggles this year, the Lions could — just as the Jacksonville Jaguars might with Blake Bortles — walk away after this season and not pay a penny of the roughly $8.25 million salary at which he would be slated next season.

He will be someone else’s problem before the new league starts next year [in March].

ETA: they picked up his option on the day of the deadline. He’s losing the snap count battle to Fells and I wouldn’t be surprised if Michael Roberts (R - Toledo, 64 snaps & 1-15-0) starts getting more involved.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "teams have been calling" about the availability of Eric Ebron ahead of Tuesday's trade deadline.

Less effective in the passing game than "blocking" option Darren Fells so far this season and seemingly falling more and more out of favor by the week, it makes sense for the Lions to move Ebron if they get any real interest. Still only 24, Ebron does have theoretical upside which perhaps another organization will think they can unlock. Ebron is under contract through 2018 after the Lions picked up his fifth-year option, but next year's salary is guaranteed for injury only.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Oct 29 - 8:20 AM

Any locals hearing anything about an Ebron trade?
Nothing yet but tomorrow is when they have to guarantee him his 2018 salary of $8M+ so likely something will go down soon if at all.

I know they had interest in Burton but that ship sailed and the Brate and Burton deals make paying him his 2018 salary not such a bad option in terms of TE pay. I had thought he was for sure to get traded, I don't feel as certain now but still more inclined to think he is and still would predict if he is it's to the Texans.

Interesting stat from Mlive

"He has 186 catches for 2,070 yards and 11 touchdowns through four seasons with Detroit. As ProFootballFocus pointed out , the only other tight ends in NFL history with a line of 185/2,000/10 through their age 24 season were: Kellen Winslow, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten. "
He’s not OBJ, and that is what most lions fans want to compare him to. He came in too arrogant, then battled injuries, and has had a normal slow but steady progression. He’s had some lapses at crucial times in games, but was better last year. I’m ok letting him play out in a contract year, he seems like the type who will turn it up with $$ to make. I hope he’s maturing some, but regardless he has to see the earning opportunity. 

Good. Detriot in a dome with Stafford was a good spot on paper. Would have loved for it to work out but water just seems muddied up for fans, coaches and Ebron.

I still think he ends up with Texans, I know they tried to trade for him at deadline last year. That's solid, but I'll go back to dreaming/hoping the Saints come calling.

Released by Lions
Good!  You have to watch Ebron every week to know why he was released. #1 his immaturity. Right now he should delete his Twitter account.

Ebron just can`t block on the edge at all and gets blown up all the time.  Ebron quits way too much on plays and after missing a block last year was pouting while the ball was fumbled and landed right by him.  Ebron has good straight ahead speed but can`t break a tackle.    The team that picks him up needs to use him as a split out third down TE and he may have some success.  As a 3 down TE just don`t see it.

Good!  You have to watch Ebron every week to know why he was released. #1 his immaturity. Right now he should delete his Twitter account.

Ebron just can`t block on the edge at all and gets blown up all the time.  Ebron quits way too much on plays and after missing a block last year was pouting while the ball was fumbled and landed right by him.  Ebron has good straight ahead speed but can`t break a tackle.    The team that picks him up needs to use him as a split out third down TE and he may have some success.  As a 3 down TE just don`t see it.
Would love to see Howie sign Ebron in Philly as a TE2 to pair with Ertz for Wentz.

Would love to see Howie sign Ebron in Philly as a TE2 to pair with Ertz for Wentz.
There are winning type of football players and losing type of football players. Philly is building a winning type of culture and Ebron just does not play that type of football.  Again you have to watch every play the last 4 years to appreciate how bad Ebron can be..and I am not just talking about his drops.   In all my years as a Lion fan I think Ebron was a player who alienated more fans than I can ever remember.

Can he go somewhere else and be productive?  It is possible but I have a tough time thinking a winning type of team would want him.

There are winning type of football players and losing type of football players. Philly is building a winning type of culture and Ebron just does not play that type of football.  Again you have to watch every play the last 4 years to appreciate how bad Ebron can be..and I am not just talking about his drops.   In all my years as a Lion fan I think Ebron was a player who alienated more fans than I can ever remember.

Can he go somewhere else and be productive?  It is possible but I have a tough time thinking a winning type of team would want him.
I get that and appreciate you saying it. I looked at it as an outsider thinking if Howie can get Ebron somewhat cheap or below market if it's sour, he's young enough where maybe a change of scenery would be good for him. We just acquired Michael Bennett, so I don't think they're 100% risk averse to potential team culture fit issues. But, from what I've heard about Bennett he is a fierce competitor, which would make him thrive in the day-to-day. Yeah, if Ebron routinely doesn't give 100%, you're going to be very correct and I'll be very wrong here. Thanks :thumbup:

Interesting stat from Mlive

"He has 186 catches for 2,070 yards and 11 touchdowns through four seasons with Detroit. As ProFootballFocus pointed out , the only other tight ends in NFL history with a line of 185/2,000/10 through their age 24 season were: Kellen Winslow, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten. "
Yards per game through their age 24 season:

Gronk - 50 games played (3255 yards) - 65.1

Winslow - 34 (2031) - 59.74

Gonzo - 63 (3041) - 48.27

Witten 63 (2838) - 45.05

Ebron - 56 (2070) - 36.96

I get that and appreciate you saying it. I looked at it as an outsider thinking if Howie can get Ebron somewhat cheap or below market if it's sour, he's young enough where maybe a change of scenery would be good for him. We just acquired Michael Bennett, so I don't think they're 100% risk averse to potential team culture fit issues. But, from what I've heard about Bennett he is a fierce competitor, which would make him thrive in the day-to-day. Yeah, if Ebron routinely doesn't give 100%, you're going to be very correct and I'll be very wrong here. Thanks :thumbup:
Ebron can show flashes as you see on the highlights..it is his every down mentality that hurts him.  The good thing is now he is going to have to earn his next deal so that might motivate him..but his football IQ seems very low.   As a second TE for cheap though he is worth the risk.  In fact being the second TE in Philly might be the best thing to happen to him.

Witten 63 (2838) - 45.05

During Wittens, Gonzo and Winslow s first 4 season a TE was really a TE that had duel duties.  Gronk can do both very well..Ebron can only be used in passing downs.

Colts signed TE Eric Ebron, formerly of the Lions, to a two-year contract.

Ebron can earn up to $15 million over the course of the deal; it's a nice haul for the former No. 10 overall pick who was cut by the Lions last week before his $8 million-plus salary became guaranteed. In Indy, Ebron gives the Colts a pair of capable tight ends -- along with Jack Doyle -- for new coach Frank Reich and OC Nick Sirianni, who both come from offenses in Philly and San Diego/L.A. where multiple-tight end sets were an offensive staple.

Related: Lions

Mar 19 - 8:57 PM

Witten 63 (2838) - 45.05

I dont think the point is that he's as good as those guys - just that what he's accomplished is rare.

Ebron should do well because the Colts have a true #1 TE in Jack Doyle.  With Ebron it has never been about ability although he does drop passes..it has been his maturity level.  When interviewed if you did not know any better you would think he is in 10th grade...and his Twitter account did not help him.

Getting cut was probably a wakeup call so hopefully he grows up as a player..then deletes his Twitter.

With Ryan Grant now signing in Indy, the Colts have an interesting group of weapons in Hilton(deep) Doyle(short) Grant(intermediate) Ebron(seam) 

Hopefully we get a healthy Luck.

With Ryan Grant now signing in Indy, the Colts have an interesting group of weapons in Hilton(deep) Doyle(short) Grant(intermediate) Ebron(seam) 

Hopefully we get a healthy Luck.
It's all about Luck but with those picks they got to move back I expect more help is coming. I'd be shocked if they don't pick 1-2 WR's on day 2.

Da Guru said:
Ebron should do well because the Colts have a true #1 TE in Jack Doyle.  With Ebron it has never been about ability although he does drop passes..it has been his maturity level.  When interviewed if you did not know any better you would think he is in 10th grade...and his Twitter account did not help him.

Getting cut was probably a wakeup call so hopefully he grows up as a player..then deletes his Twitter.
Is Doyle a legit #1? Asking because I don’t know.  Knew he had some bad games early in the year with fumbles and drops but end of year stats look ok from volume.  

And what’s the problem with his twitter?  Just scanned and saw he posts pictures of his kid and him getting baptized.  Seemed harmless but maybe I’m missing something. 

Is Doyle a legit #1? Asking because I don’t know.  Knew he had some bad games early in the year with fumbles and drops but end of year stats look ok from volume.  

And what’s the problem with his twitter?  Just scanned and saw he posts pictures of his kid and him getting baptized.  Seemed harmless but maybe I’m missing something. 
I'd list Doyle as a legit #1  but as a receiving TE I think he is comparable to Witten, and I mean Witten now at this stage of his career.  Solid hands, dependable, not scaring anyone.

Ebron has had some ugly drops during his career but had a good second half of the season and eliminated drop issue during that time, was actually wildly efficient the second half of the season. Two opinions floated around for him playing better in second half. One was that once the trade deadline passed he was more relaxed and the other theory was that the birth of his son matured him.  Really not sure but I felt the focus should not be on fact he had a good 8 game stretch to end the season so  much as why was he so bad the first 8 games to begin the season, that's the outlier in his career and not the finish to the season. If you look at his career, especially considering how young he was entering the league and transition he had to make his career progressed nicely and on the pace you'd like to see.  Terrible confused looking rookie TE who was asked to do to much, growth in year two, more growth in year 3 and fantasy speaking a legit starting fantasy TE. Then he enters year 4 and the bottom falls out in first half of 2017 then despite being  a part time player he would go on to close strong. So he went backwards first half of 2017, otherwise spent his Lions career steady progressing.

He had a bad camp last year. Can't recall injury, I think hamstring, but barely participated in camp. Add in he was in contract year, name brought up in trade rumors, whatever the reason he just flat tanked first half of last season but again other than that had been steady progressing. But the horrible optics on some of his bad drops and relative to where he was drafted and who he was drafted over a steady progression was not what people wanted to see and I think that along with his own immaturity made the situation in Detroit toxic for him and he badly wanted out. If there was ever a player who needed a change of scenery it's him.

Now that I've had a day to mull over his landing spot I'd label it as low floor/high ceiling for fantasy purposes but I'd for sure take him over Doyle all day every day. Colts are only team in history of league to have two TE's catch 8 TD's in same season but to me NE is only team to ever have two viable starting fantasy TE's on same team at the same time. That could happen here but nothing I'd be counting on. Ebron is the one I'd invest.

Ebron deleted a bunch of stuff..just immature things like arguing with fans when he had a bad game.

I'd list Doyle as a legit #1  but as a receiving TE I think he is comparable to Witten, and I mean Witten now at this stage of his career.  Solid hands, dependable, not scaring anyone.

Ebron has had some ugly drops during his career but had a good second half of the season and eliminated drop issue during that time, was actually wildly efficient the second half of the season. Two opinions floated around for him playing better in second half. One was that once the trade deadline passed he was more relaxed and the other theory was that the birth of his son matured him.  Really not sure but I felt the focus should not be on fact he had a good 8 game stretch to end the season so  much as why was he so bad the first 8 games to begin the season, that's the outlier in his career and not the finish to the season. If you look at his career, especially considering how young he was entering the league and transition he had to make his career progressed nicely and on the pace you'd like to see.  Terrible confused looking rookie TE who was asked to do to much, growth in year two, more growth in year 3 and fantasy speaking a legit starting fantasy TE. Then he enters year 4 and the bottom falls out in first half of 2017 then despite being  a part time player he would go on to close strong. So he went backwards first half of 2017, otherwise spent his Lions career steady progressing.

He had a bad camp last year. Can't recall injury, I think hamstring, but barely participated in camp. Add in he was in contract year, name brought up in trade rumors, whatever the reason he just flat tanked first half of last season but again other than that had been steady progressing. But the horrible optics on some of his bad drops and relative to where he was drafted and who he was drafted over a steady progression was not what people wanted to see and I think that along with his own immaturity made the situation in Detroit toxic for him and he badly wanted out. If there was ever a player who needed a change of scenery it's him.

Now that I've had a day to mull over his landing spot I'd label it as low floor/high ceiling for fantasy purposes but I'd for sure take him over Doyle all day every day. Colts are only team in history of league to have two TE's catch 8 TD's in same season but to me NE is only team to ever have two viable starting fantasy TE's on same team at the same time. That could happen here but nothing I'd be counting on. Ebron is the one I'd invest.
I think this is spot on, the steady progression, surprising early season struggles then the more surprising late season surge - but especially the low floor/high ceiling part.  His success is dependent on Luck’s health, his maturity, and his role in the new offense, all big question marks.  If everything comes together he could have a nice season.  I’m holding for now. 

Users who are viewing this thread