What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash of Clans (Official thread) (7 Viewers)

30 minions, 16 balloons, 2 drags, 2 lava hounds. 2 healing, 1 rage, 2 freeze. I 100% anything less than a TH10, and usuall 2 star TH10.

Might be my new war comp
LOOK AT ME
Holy ####! People can see my posts in here???
:lol:

Harry, can you expand on how the dragons are used in that comp? I can see how the rest of the pieces would work together. I never quite understood when it was advantageous to substitute dragons in for loons/minions/(and now hounds)
I'm still trying to figure it out, but basically the drags and minions just tear down stuff while the balloonians go for defense and the lava hounds distract AD.

Dragons will take out obstacles faster than 10 minions would (imo) as minions are dying every AD hit and a dragon keep his DPS static.

30 minions, 16 balloons, 2 drags, 2 lava hounds. 2 healing, 1 rage, 2 freeze. I 100% anything less than a TH10, and usuall 2 star TH10.

Might be my new war comp
LOOK AT ME
Holy ####! People can see my posts in here???
:lol:

Harry, can you expand on how the dragons are used in that comp? I can see how the rest of the pieces would work together. I never quite understood when it was advantageous to substitute dragons in for loons/minions/(and now hounds)
I'm still trying to figure it out, but basically the drags and minions just tear down stuff while the balloonians go for defense and the lava hounds distract AD.

Dragons will take out obstacles faster than 10 minions would (imo) as minions are dying every AD hit and a dragon keep his DPS static.
This is going to depend on the base. On a spread out base you want minions. Where splash damage can play a role you want dragons. TH9 don't really have the luxury of packing dragons. TH10 do. Drags also can help deal with CC.

The funny thing about hounds is that you get kind of ####ed if they don't die.

The pups do far more DPS than the hound and do it over a much wider area.

IMO a TH9 QuadHound buildout should be

4 L2 Hounds - Yields 40 lava pups = 40 Level 1 minions

10 L5 Minions

22 Skulls

or 18 skulls 1 Dragon

CC pack max minions or more skulls depending on the base. Most likely you will want skulls. A Max Dragon and 2 skulls is also an option for tight bases.

Another thought is that when hounds first came out people took their AirD and buried it deep inside. Now with gowiwi so common people are pushing their anti air outwards to draw useless aggro from golems. We get a good mix of WalkingDead, Gowiwi, 4H, and maybe even GOVAPE we should be able to crush top 20 defenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had very good luck with barching at th8 in the 1200-1350 trophy range. 2 hours of boosted barracks usually nets me at least 3 million in gold and pink elixir.

Am I in for a rude awakening when I finish my th9 upgrade or is barching still viable? I have a Level 10 BK which has helped, of course. What are the cheaper strategies for looting at TH9 if I have 2 hours to kill with boosted barracks?

I have max every army except for Gobs and Valks.
I'm not sure what people are talking about with the elixir woes unless they are using it all up on the army composition. I'm a TH9 and can't remember the last time I couldn't get elixir with ease.

I barch with boosted barracks between 1850 and 1950 and generally make about 2 million each of gold and elixir per hour. Sometimes it's slow, and I only get around 1 million per hour. Sometimes it's better. Yesterday afternoon, I made 3.2 gold and 2.9 elixir in 55 minutes despite having the queen upgrading.
What time (EST) do you raid? Every time I push up there, the loot I see is just horrendous.

2 quad hound 3 stars this war. on their 8 and 19

No CC on either of them, but nothing a little lightning can't deal with. 8 had two up xbows. Oh, and I had no BK too.

FEAR ME

Might be my new war comp
Can you upload some vids to youtube?
Chief Pat just posted a video with a similar troop makeup. I might give it a try with TH9 troops over the weekend.

link

I am itching to upgrade to TH10 just to get max minions and LH. Only 30 more walls and 2 valk upgrades left.

Is there a story behind how Buckoff failed to kill the exposed TH on their #1?
Im assuming he lost connection
Same thing happened to me once. I don't get why it doesn't see thru the attack like it does on a normal raid
It does with the troops you have dropped. He only dropped one barb and then lost connection. Had he dropped the kitchen sink they would have taken the TH.

I've had very good luck with barching at th8 in the 1200-1350 trophy range. 2 hours of boosted barracks usually nets me at least 3 million in gold and pink elixir.

Am I in for a rude awakening when I finish my th9 upgrade or is barching still viable? I have a Level 10 BK which has helped, of course. What are the cheaper strategies for looting at TH9 if I have 2 hours to kill with boosted barracks?

Short answer is yes but not necessarily because of troops. I've hogged & barched my way to crystal at th9 which is where there are some decent bases + the loot bonus. The problem is because of the penalties the th8's & th7's you see just don't have a lot of elixir. You'll next through 20 bases of 50k gold/50k elixir before you see something worthwhile with skull walls around everything. Just be patient. Good bases are out there you just have to scroll through more now. It also doesn't help having th8 troops for the first month or so. I'm hoping furry folk turn the tide and make crystal a little easier to hang in.
I'm not sure what people are talking about with the elixir woes unless they are using it all up on the army composition. I'm a TH9 and can't remember the last time I couldn't get elixir with ease.

I barch with boosted barracks between 1850 and 1950 and generally make about 2 million each of gold and elixir per hour. Sometimes it's slow, and I only get around 1 million per hour. Sometimes it's better. Yesterday afternoon, I made 3.2 gold and 2.9 elixir in 55 minutes despite having the queen upgrading.
Sorry man, I gotta call bull#### at least based on my experience. Unless you gem your barracks it takes at least a half hour to generate an army so you're saying you are hitting bases in that range for 1m/1m twice an hour? I'm at the 1839 right now, as high as 1950 and if I see a base with 200k/200k I get excited.

Sorry man, I gotta call bull#### at least based on my experience. Unless you gem your barracks it takes at least a half hour to generate an army so you're saying you are hitting bases in that range for 1m/1m twice an hour? I'm at the 1839 right now, as high as 1950 and if I see a base with 200k/200k I get excited.
He does.

Here's what I think is the most practical way for shuke to contribute:

After today's war in three clicks I will

Start TH9

Start Drags3

Build BK

Shuke, with 4 spells and 30CC (hound) should end up as part of the PainTrain from now on.

Eventually will go to TH10 and get that 5th spell if the extra pop is needed, but really don't see it necessary to do so except for the extra elixer collector.

Might be my new war comp
Chief Pat just posted a video with a similar troop makeup. I might give it a try with TH9 troops over the weekend.

link

I am itching to upgrade to TH10 just to get max minions and LH. Only 30 more walls and 2 valk upgrades left.
Holy ####! He copied me!

Might be my new war comp

link

Holy ####! He copied me!
Why don't you join us Saturday. Your other clan can have buttworms. It's a fair trade imo.

I'm just tossing this out there: Maybe The Boog should consider being a little more selective in who we accept from now on. Our wars seem to be more and more difficult due to the large number of underdeveloped bases we have.

Might be my new war comp

link

Holy ####! He copied me!
Why don't you join us Saturday. Your other clan can have buttworms. It's a fair trade imo.
Soon enough I'll be joining.

My clan is falling apart. We suck at wars. But they are all my personal friends.

Once they start quitting (which they keep threatening to do) I will join.

Offer still stands if anyone wants Lvl 3 hounds, lvl 5 pekkas, lvl 5 golems etc

He does.
K then, how many gems you go through? It's not sustainable IMO but obviously it works for some

He does.
K then, how many gems you go through? It's not sustainable IMO but obviously it works for some
I do full gem rax sessions about once every two weeks or so and it is sustainable with the gems from trees and gem boxes. I'm guessing this is not a daily thing, even at TH9 and up you can't burn through that much resources to need to do this more than that in addition to normal raids. unless you're VA and maxing walls or Animator who buys every decorative item available.

beer 30 said:
EYLive said:
beer 30 said:

He does.
I can get by only gemming 2 of my 4 barracks, took a little while to get the timing down and maybe only works with barch, but it works.

Does anyone have much experience with apps like FeaturePoints or FreeMyApps, which can be used to get gift cards that can be spent on things like gems? Did some googling and it seems like they look legit, and I learned enough about how app sales work during the FBG app releases this year that I can see how their business model would work without needing to be a scam.

Anyone used them much and think it's worth it? What kind of earning vs time spent do you see with them?

Something I just figured out which explains a little of my wall breaker pathing frustrations.

It seems like they are part of the "units will try to target the same segment of wall" thing now. I released 2 WBs and they walked to the wall, turned right (going around a barracks) and walked right up along the wall 2 segments over to where my golem was trying to break through, at which point a mortar round took them out.

Then I released two further over on the opposite side of the golem, meaning them to not have anything to do with the first golem, but instead meaning for them to break an opening for my 2nd golem who was still approaching the wall at a different compartment. Rather than walk straight to the wall, they took off at a 45 degree angle left to go blow up on the same segment of wall the 1st golem was attacking where the other 2 had died.

Very very frustrating when you have so little control over them. Also makes it tougher to avoid mortar shells and wizard fire if the game is going to move them on top of your tank before exploding them.

Something I just figured out which explains a little of my wall breaker pathing frustrations.

It seems like they are part of the "units will try to target the same segment of wall" thing now. I released 2 WBs and they walked to the wall, turned right (going around a barracks) and walked right up along the wall 2 segments over to where my golem was trying to break through, at which point a mortar round took them out.

Then I released two further over on the opposite side of the golem, meaning them to not have anything to do with the first golem, but instead meaning for them to break an opening for my 2nd golem who was still approaching the wall at a different compartment. Rather than walk straight to the wall, they took off at a 45 degree angle left to go blow up on the same segment of wall the 1st golem was attacking where the other 2 had died.

Very very frustrating when you have so little control over them. Also makes it tougher to avoid mortar shells and wizard fire if the game is going to move them on top of your tank before exploding them.
I've noticed this lately as well. WB's used to be fairly directional meaning you drop them in front of where you want them to blow and hole and they march straight up to the spot. Now they go wherever the hell they want, drives me nuts and causes me to carry more WB's than I want to because you end up wasting 2-4 just trying to get them to path where you want them.

I've noticed this lately as well. WB's used to be fairly directional meaning you drop them in front of where you want them to blow and hole and they march straight up to the spot. Now they go wherever the hell they want, drives me nuts and causes me to carry more WB's than I want to because you end up wasting 2-4 just trying to get them to path where you want them.
I think when aiden drops his in a big blob they always do well. I think when they get out in front of the golem to further compartments in they act a little better. I see some of our ground guys try to pulse them in groups of 2 and that's where you run serious AI risk.

Does anyone have much experience with apps like FeaturePoints or FreeMyApps, which can be used to get gift cards that can be spent on things like gems? Did some googling and it seems like they look legit, and I learned enough about how app sales work during the FBG app releases this year that I can see how their business model would work without needing to be a scam.

Anyone used them much and think it's worth it? What kind of earning vs time spent do you see with them?
FeaturePoints, yes. Did it for about a week thinking I'd try it first before introducting it here, and gave up.. but if we could set up some kind of conga line where the next in uses the previous' referral code it might work?

Never saved up enough to redeem anything from it, but I still have the app on my phone.

eta- I learned of FP from a twitch streamer who vouched for it and said that's how he gets his gems so I figure it's legit enough.

GroveDiesel said:
I'm just tossing this out there: Maybe The Boog should consider being a little more selective in who we accept from now on. Our wars seem to be more and more difficult due to the large number of underdeveloped bases we have.
Yes. Same goes for Honda. It's like we're letting everyone in just to be nice, but the new member doesn't listen to feedback in chat and they aren't following this thread.

I think when aiden drops his in a big blob they always do well. I think when they get out in front of the golem to further compartments in they act a little better. I see some of our ground guys try to pulse them in groups of 2 and that's where you run serious AI risk.
Yep.

After watching a couple of Bangkok Bob's last few attacks I can definitely see me move away from WB's and start using the Jump spell more and more. BB doesn't use any WB's.

Jump spell just gives you more control and can be used to get both in and out of the core. WB's never make it to the other side.

Yeah, the Boog is screwed I think. Our bottom guys are simply outclassed on this one and our mid guys are struggling enough getting any stars on their guys.

Our opponent is starting by going +10 and we may have been better served doing the same thing.

Yep.After watching a couple of Bangkok Bob's last few attacks I can definitely see me move away from WB's and start using the Jump spell more and more. BB doesn't use any WB's.

Jump spell just gives you more control and can be used to get both in and out of the core. WB's never make it to the other side.
Yep. I've tried a couple 2x jump attacks to try it out. One of them ended as a nice 3 star Gowiwi, albeit on a +15 or so, but without being able to jump out the other side of the core, I would have ran outta time. This war, I got into the core so quick, I still had 1 golem and a cc ful of redcoats, so I tried to jump in from the other side. My deployment sucked, or 3 could have been had imo.

Double and triple jumps is where it's at.

Something I just figured out which explains a little of my wall breaker pathing frustrations. It seems like they are part of the "units will try to target the same segment of wall" thing now. I released 2 WBs and they walked to the wall, turned right (going around a barracks) and walked right up along the wall 2 segments over to where my golem was trying to break through, at which point a mortar round took them out. Then I released two further over on the opposite side of the golem, meaning them to not have anything to do with the first golem, but instead meaning for them to break an opening for my 2nd golem who was still approaching the wall at a different compartment. Rather than walk straight to the wall, they took off at a 45 degree angle left to go blow up on the same segment of wall the 1st golem was attacking where the other 2 had died. Very very frustrating when you have so little control over them. Also makes it tougher to avoid mortar shells and wizard fire if the game is going to move them on top of your tank before exploding them.
WB go towards the closest building covered by a wall. At least that's what Supercell says they do.

Elixer woes are at the start of TH9 when all the big important upgrades need it. Camps, spell factory, lab, research. Grinding 6m elixer when you don't have furries or skulls is a grind.
Again - use barbarians and archers. I've been doing that with ease since hitting TH9. Using balloons and spells isn't needed.

For Black Box, I've had success in the morning on the weekends (8 am to 10 am), weekday afternoons (3 pm to 4:30 pm), and late night weekdays and weekends (11 pm to 2 am).

For beer30, I boost barracks and absolutely get those results. I raid probably five days a week. It's not sustainable, but I dropped a $100 a couple months ago and just use the gems for boosting barracks.

As far as the Elixir woes, switch to BAM. Profit. I farm with it just fine in crystal and have no issues generally, although with both heroes upgrading it's touch and go to get 50% a lot of time. Level 6 barch is required to consistently hit that 50%. I used lvl 5 barch/Bam at Gold 1 most effectively.

I see a ton of people farm with balloonian and it's not very cost effective because of the amount of elixir it takes and the time required to build it. Even if you only attack once an hour, you won't make much of a dent if you are farming elixir.

Elixer woes are at the start of TH9 when all the big important upgrades need it. Camps, spell factory, lab, research. Grinding 6m elixer when you don't have furries or skulls is a grind.
Again - use barbarians and archers. I've been doing that with ease since hitting TH9. Using balloons and spells isn't needed.

For Black Box, I've had success in the morning on the weekends (8 am to 10 am), weekday afternoons (3 pm to 4:30 pm), and late night weekdays and weekends (11 pm to 2 am).

For beer30, I boost barracks and absolutely get those results. I raid probably five days a week. It's not sustainable, but I dropped a $100 a couple months ago and just use the gems for boosting barracks.
Yea I generally raid with just lightning spells to either take out a building to get that 50% after my army got close or to zap DE if they have over 3k available in the storage. Generally i don't use spells at all.

Very important tidbit in this diatribe.

I can't do that although I do gem the occasional barracks when I'm raiding but like I said I might gem 1 once a week. I can get by in crystal barching with the occasional hog attack. Fur coats will greatly assist my raiding abilities...I hope.

For what it's worth, if you're going to buy gems, buying the big pack and using willpower to spend them slowly makes the most sense. At $5 for 500 they are a penny each. But for $100 you get 14,000 which would cost $140 if you bought them via the smaller packs.

Spending 60 gems a day to boost my two L6 drills, $100 of gems lasts over 7 months. I know not worth it to some, but if it's not a big deal, the big pack and just control the urge to blow large numbers of gems to speed things, and they go a long way.

P.S. I am absolutely going to blow large numbers of gems to pay for camps, drill and spell factory when I get to TH10. I'm going to channel my inner-Ron.

Honda war discussion recap for our leaders:

This afternoon a few of our lower base players noted that the opponents' lower bases had good walls and were well defended, which is true. They thought that it would be difficult to 3 star with ground troops since they don't have dragons. So it was suggested that they do their best against their equal or lower and ask for lvl5-6 CC balloons and hogs. In the mean time, our dragon (~TH7) guys would take a wait and see approach, and attack +5-+10 as needed or if all goes well, aim for highest reasonable 3star as usual.

So far the cc loons and hogs have been potent; so our mid guys should just proceed normally.

Very important tidbit in this diatribe.

I can't do that although I do gem the occasional barracks when I'm raiding but like I said I might gem 1 once a week. I can get by in crystal barching with the occasional hog attack. Fur coats will greatly assist my raiding abilities...I hope.
The fact remains that it is far more profitable to barch in Gold 1 than to balloonian in Crystal - whether you do two raids in 15 minutes or 15 in an hour.

Walls: Put me down for another of those war attacks that got the 3rd star on literally the last second. And my AQ who got the final building kill with the help of just 1 archer, went through no less than 8 walls that troops had to blast through (about 2/3 of them skull, the rest purple). Call it 5 walls since in some cases my wiz blew up the wall in advance of her being ready to advance.

If any one of those 5 walls was higher level then I probably lose the 3rd star.

Yeah, the Boog is screwed I think. Our bottom guys are simply outclassed on this one and our mid guys are struggling enough getting any stars on their guys.

Our opponent is starting by going +10 and we may have been better served doing the same thing.
Yep. I 3 starred my +5 and they they plus 10 me for 3 stars.

Users who are viewing this thread