What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Italy trip discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Where should we go for our trip?

• Italy

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • France/Paris

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
We went to Naples for a day trip while staying in Capri. It was a Sunday so I figured it would be less hectic. We walked around for about an hour, went to the south side by the castle and had some lunch and went back to Capri. I would go back for the archaeology museum, which we didn't get to, but for no other reason.
Newark isn't all bad either, it's not Camden, but there is a long list of places I would rather spend time. 

DA RAIDERS said:
Kicking around the idea of doing Rome and the amalfi coast, probably ravello, with the lady. End of July, maybe August. Tourist time, but it's when we can go.   Anyone Have amalfi coast recommendations? 
Take ferry and spend a day at Capri/blue grotto/chair lift/capri sandals for the lady. Check out the Capri taxi's.

Hotel if you want to spend some time in heaven at Casa Angelina in Praiano (about 4 miles from Positano)!!!  Drinks (limoncello spritzer  :thumbup:  ) on the patio looking at Positano and the sea. Staff is unbelievable. Excellent food. They arranged a  guide (Joanna) for us for Capri $200 for the day and met us at hotel. Ended up spending another $200 for private boat tour around Capri included access to blue grotto. She knew everyone including taxi driver/ restaurants and store owners. Hotel has car/van going back and forth to Positano.

excellent restaurant on main road by casangelina called Vivaro (10 tables). Owner asks you red or white (wine) and meat or seafood. He then cooks several courses starting with pasta, all fresh. Crazy good. About 80 euro for two. Owner very personable especially if he knows its your first vist to area.make reservations.

skip city of Amalfi.

can spend a couple days in Positano. Several ceramics stores between Praiano and Positano. We had several things shipped back with no problems.

beaches are rocky-no sand.

Ravello is nice. Half of day. Lunch or dinner. Great views!

We loved Amalfi coast. Will be going back  next year. Probably spend a night or two on Capri and venture down to SE Italy in Puglia/Bari.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We stayed on Capri for like 4 days and it's so awesome once the daytrippers leave. It's not ideal as a hub because of the long ferry rides but a great experience to just stay and explore.

Wife and I loved the church there.   The outside and doors were awesome. 
Yes, the church was nice. But this was the third week of our trip across Italy and we had seen a lot of churches up to that point. We just thought  the town was so-so compared to Positano, Ravello and Capri. Nothing wrong if you want to go there but I would give it a lower priority if you need to make decisions.

tickets booked 7/16-7/20  now to plan the itinerary!  anyone have a good hotel recommendation for rome for 3 nights?

got an Alitalia coupon code for 15% off jfk-milan.....JFK15.

use by midnight 6/16 for flights anytime.  you likely need to become millemiglia member, its their FF program.

rome 7/17-7/20 booked.  we are staying at a spectacularly reviewed b&b in the prati.  hoping for good things.  

should we get the omnia pass?  it looks like it will be worth it, just to skip the lines at the vatican.

question for those who have done pompeii.  should we try to do on the way to positano, or do it as a day trip out of positano?

i'm waiting to hear back from the owner of a perfect little spot in positano for the rest of trip.  the backup is in atrani.

rome 7/17-7/20 booked.  we are staying at a spectacularly reviewed b&b in the prati.  hoping for good things.  

should we get the omnia pass?  it looks like it will be worth it, just to skip the lines at the vatican.

question for those who have done pompeii.  should we try to do on the way to positano, or do it as a day trip out of positano?

i'm waiting to hear back from the owner of a perfect little spot in positano for the rest of trip.  the backup is in atrani.
Prati is a great spot to be with easy subway access to see all the ancient stuff plus all the Vatican/museum stuff.

Yes, get the omnia pass, it'll get you a convenient audio guided transportation and skips lines at all the important must-see spots.

I took a morning train from Rome to Naples, then a tour bus to Pompeii and didn't get to see Positano. My trip included a ton of Greek and Roman ruins so Pompeii didn't impress me as much (the molds of dead people was cool though). 

Ditto on the omnia pass. Just for the Vatican is worth it. You can waste half a day waiting in line. Check the dress code for the Vatican - It is enforced.

DA RAIDERS said:

I highly recommend the OMNIA for first time Rome visitors.......gives you 3 days of hop on bus, Vatican/Sistine, St Peters and then 2 of 5 other attractions, 1 of which is the colosseum, forum.  This leaves usually the Borghese or Castel Sant'Angelo.........personally, I would choose the Castel.  I will miss you by a week, I will be there 7/13.  Please go to my new favorite restaurant, La Fraschetta di castel sant'angelo, which is close to prati and across the tiber from the castel.  so as not to be rushed, I would day trip to Pompeii, but I would shoot the lock off my wallet and get a guide/transport.  Pompeii is fascinating, but a guide will enhance the experience.......in the area is a top notch winery "mastroberardino" if you are so inclined to double up.

I highly recommend the OMNIA for first time Rome visitors.......gives you 3 days of hop on bus, Vatican/Sistine, St Peters and then 2 of 5 other attractions, 1 of which is the colosseum, forum.  This leaves usually the Borghese or Castel Sant'Angelo.........personally, I would choose the Castel.  I will miss you by a week, I will be there 7/13.  Please go to my new favorite restaurant, La Fraschetta di castel sant'angelo, which is close to prati and across the tiber from the castel.  so as not to be rushed, I would day trip to Pompeii, but I would shoot the lock off my wallet and get a guide/transport.  Pompeii is fascinating, but a guide will enhance the experience.......in the area is a top notch winery "mastroberardino" if you are so inclined to double up.
lacryma christi del vesuvio , i know it well.  i prefer their white.  

i've been to rome twice before, but it's my wife's first time, still highly  recommend the pass?  

i'll definitely hit up the restaurant.

thx!

lacryma christi del vesuvio , i know it well.  i prefer their white.  

i've been to rome twice before, but it's my wife's first time, still highly  recommend the pass?  

i'll definitely hit up the restaurant.

thx!
I recommend if you want to do the 'first timers' itinerary, as it seems.  It comes with a 3 day metro pass too.  We always have fun taking the 8 tram to trastevere and hitting il giardino romano for artichokes or da enzo for cacio e pepe.  I have recommended the scavi tour here before........highly recommend if you can;

http://www.scavi.va/content/scavi/en/ufficio-scavi.html

keep it coming!
well, you are close to Bonci pizzarium (been on bourdain).  We have been there..........it is small and non descript, only tables are outside.  The choices of pizza are crazy wonderful and they basically cut pizza with a scissor and charge by weight.  residential neighborhood, nothing else there, but good non touristy stuff.  Metro is right there.  I would recommend a Wednesday Papal audience, but I already know he isn't there in July.

well, you are close to Bonci pizzarium (been on bourdain).  We have been there..........it is small and non descript, only tables are outside.  The choices of pizza are crazy wonderful and they basically cut pizza with a scissor and charge by weight.  residential neighborhood, nothing else there, but good non touristy stuff.  Metro is right there.  I would recommend a Wednesday Papal audience, but I already know he isn't there in July.
I tried Bonci pizzarium during my trip last fall. I'm a foodie but the toppings were really weird for me, and it didn't feel like pizza. Everyone else in my group loved it, but it was just meh for me.

I recommend if you want to do the 'first timers' itinerary, as it seems.  It comes with a 3 day metro pass too.  We always have fun taking the 8 tram to trastevere and hitting il giardino romano for artichokes or da enzo for cacio e pepe.  I have recommended the scavi tour here before........highly recommend if you can;

http://www.scavi.va/content/scavi/en/ufficio-scavi.html
i'm struggling to fill out their form.  is there a trick to it that i'm missing?  it keeps telling me to correct the errors and resubmit the form.  in italian  i can't figure out what error i'm making :mellow:  

i'm struggling to fill out their form.  is there a trick to it that i'm missing?  it keeps telling me to correct the errors and resubmit the form.  in italian  i can't figure out what error i'm making :mellow:  
try this;

send an email to both of these;    uff.scavi@fabricsp.va  and   scavi@fsp.va

subject line; scavi tour request

body of email;

1.  Exact number of participants;
2.  Names of participants;
3.  Language requested;
4.  Possible dates *when the Excavations Office can assign your visit (the time will be determined by the Office). *please always write in full the name of the month (e.g.:  from 01 January 2013 to 08 January 2013)
5.  Your E-mail address

I tried Bonci pizzarium during my trip last fall. I'm a foodie but the toppings were really weird for me, and it didn't feel like pizza. Everyone else in my group loved it, but it was just meh for me.
yeah, it was ok.  not the greatest or life changing, but it was fun and many options to choose from. 

here is something totally random..........we wanted to bring a friend some Italian made cowboy boots and found this great store behind the prati neighborhood called Texano Store.

the guy there quickly became a friend and was cool as hell.....they have a lot of Mexican and US made boots, but also authentic Italian leather stuff.    http://www.texanostore.com/

try this;

send an email to both of these;    uff.scavi@fabricsp.va  and   scavi@fsp.va

subject line; scavi tour request

body of email;

1.  Exact number of participants;
2.  Names of participants;
3.  Language requested;
4.  Possible dates *when the Excavations Office can assign your visit (the time will be determined by the Office). *please always write in full the name of the month (e.g.:  from 01 January 2013 to 08 January 2013)
5.  Your E-mail address
done.  the issue (i think) was with the date and or date formatting.  thx chem

done.  the issue (i think) was with the date and or date formatting.  thx chem
good luck......the scavi tour is a hidden highlight.  just walking past the swiss guard is cool.  they are very soup Nazi about how to act.  order tix, pickup promptly here, don't smile, move to left, form line, etc.  but going under st peter's and seeing the age and excavations is amazing.

good luck......the scavi tour is a hidden highlight.  just walking past the swiss guard is cool.  they are very soup Nazi about how to act.  order tix, pickup promptly here, don't smile, move to left, form line, etc.  but going under st peter's and seeing the age and excavations is amazing.
i really hope my request gets through.  i'd love to see it.  

I would regard the Borghese as mandatory if you have any interest in ancient and renaissance art.  They have a couple ancient Roman statues with all fingers, toes, etc. that look like they've just been put in a corner for a couple thousand years.  The Bernini there is astonishing.  The Caravaggio collection is the best I saw, with his St. Jerome pretty easily the best painting on canvas I saw while in Rome.  I went back three times to stare at it.

Also, if you do the Colosseum try to get the third ring tour.  Getting to the top was pretty cool and a great view.  The underground was also pretty interesting.

For Pompeii we did Rick Steve's audio tour (added on the Villa of the Mysteries) and it was great.  Either get a really good guide (not one you buy at the gate) or do something like we did.  Both times I've been I've listened to the emplaced guides a bit and haven't been impressed.  Having gone to Herculaneum I'd say it can be skipped if you do Pompeii.  I hated the walk in and back and didn't see much there that Pompeii didn't offer.  And if you go by public transport make sure you guard your belongings very carefully. Luckily my wallet was empty.  And the guys at the ticket counter for the Circumvesuviana are blatant thieves.  I didn't raise a stink about the euro they skimmed off the top from me, but noted that they took it and it looks like moved it to a central location (so it was a pooled pot that they split).  This is a known scam.

narrowing things down a bit.  mad props to chem x, those email addys he gave me worked like a charm for st peter's tomb.  probably going to skip the omnia pass and buy direct from the vatican.  the line skipping feature seems to be the same, which was my number one reason to buy the omnia pass.   same for the colosseum.  

train to salerno from rome is booked.  just about 2 hours, so simple.  can't decide whether to get a private car to the villa or go for the sita bus.  we're going to use the sita bus while we're in amalfi, so i'm leaning on jumping in with both feet and just figuring it out from salerno.

this ridiculous view.    is more or less from our place in amalfi.

can't wait!

so, as part of my trip I have 4 nights in Paris..................do I have any chance of surviving?  I am actually a bit worried since I am hitting many tourist spots.  If something happens, promise to donate my user name to charity.

narrowing things down a bit.  mad props to chem x, those email addys he gave me worked like a charm for st peter's tomb.  probably going to skip the omnia pass and buy direct from the vatican.  the line skipping feature seems to be the same, which was my number one reason to buy the omnia pass.   same for the colosseum.  

train to salerno from rome is booked.  just about 2 hours, so simple.  can't decide whether to get a private car to the villa or go for the sita bus.  we're going to use the sita bus while we're in amalfi, so i'm leaning on jumping in with both feet and just figuring it out from salerno.

this ridiculous view.    is more or less from our place in amalfi.

can't wait!
so, do you have a catacombs reservation?  what are your transit plans for rome, taxis?

so, do you have a catacombs reservation?  what are your transit plans for rome, taxis?
I do have one. 

We will walk a lot and subway some.  We are staying within an easy walk to the Vatican. We'll subway to the coliseum and back  that's the the majority of travel for two days. Day 3 will probably involve subways as well.   We want to walk in to the city center from Prati on one day just to do it.   Thoughts?

so, as part of my trip I have 4 nights in Paris..................do I have any chance of surviving?  I am actually a bit worried since I am hitting many tourist spots.  If something happens, promise to donate my user name to charity.
You'll be fine. :mellow:   I am purposefully not going to linger at the entry points to any major sites. Probably not have dinner/lunch right next to one either.  It's an odd thought to add to traveling. I was in Paris a few years ago and it was fine. If you want a really good, semi fancy, affordable dinner, go here.  Really good food

I do have one. 

We will walk a lot and subway some.  We are staying within an easy walk to the Vatican. We'll subway to the coliseum and back  that's the the majority of travel for two days. Day 3 will probably involve subways as well.   We want to walk in to the city center from Prati on one day just to do it.   Thoughts?
well, my suggestion is that the Omnia pass is great, but you can go a la carte.  I do recommend buying online in advance.  so many people and it can get confusing if you try to buy day of visit or in person.  I recommend a 72 hour metro pass for €18 pp, 72 hrs starts from first validation (remember, you must validate your metro ticket in the yellow machine).  the reason for this is simple, if you try to buy a single after 7.30p you cant find a retailer open that sells a metro ticket.  all the tobacchi stores close.  if you metro or tram to say trastevere for dinner after hours, you can't find a single ride ticket anywhere.  online tix for the Vatican add €4 to the purchase, so its 16+4, but you have to add the audio guide IMO which is 7.  so €27 pp for Vatican with audio guide.  its been close to 95 this week, walking too far may be pretty aggressive, always nice to have the metro pass option in case.  Colosseum is about €12 I think, but you can make an entry 'reservation' for an additional €2 to skip the queue, I know they have an audio guide, not sure how much it is.  The colo ticket includes the forum. 

I do have one. 

The maps are a little deceiving. Blocks are relatively small so you can walk to most places between the Coliseum and the Vatican. Maybe quick taxi to some places.

Coliseum, Vatican/Sistine Chapel, forum, Palace of the Fatherland, Pantheon, Basilica de Santa Maria Sopra Minerva (beautiful blue ceiling), Trastevere neighborhood across river for dinner, Piazza Navona, Castel Sant Angelo/Sant Angelo bridge, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps (closed being refurbished when we were there a year ago),  evening passeggiata stroll on Via del Corso. We did it all in two full days.

thx!  i was doing the math on my own and that tidbit of info on nighttime subway tickets is big.  leaning towards the pass now.  

the audio guides take it over the top as well.  do you know how they work?  i've never had one.  how does the audio guide know where you are in the vatican?  i like to stare at some things longer than others.  my wife and i got separated at the 911 memorial last summer, to the point i had to get security to let me back in to find her.  

and have you ever been on a bus tour?  i always look at those with disdain and think they must suck.  maybe they're great?  just seems sooooooooo touristy.

The maps are a little deceiving. Blocks are relatively small so you can walk to most places between the Coliseum and the Vatican. Maybe quick taxi to some places.

Coliseum, Vatican/Sistine Chapel, forum, Palace of the Fatherland, Pantheon, Basilica de Santa Maria Sopra Minerva (beautiful blue ceiling), Trastevere neighborhood across river for dinner, Piazza Navona, Castel Sant Angelo/Sant Angelo bridge, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps (closed being refurbished when we were there a year ago),  evening passeggiata stroll on Via del Corso. We did it all in two full days.
the distances don't worry us that much.  we routinely walk 3-6 miles a day, sometimes longer.  the only thing that gave me pause was not being to get a subway ticket at night.  i don't want to knock out a brisk 30 minute walk if the wife's in the mood after dinner... :pickle:    

You should definitely walk across the river to Trastevere. We actually stayed there during our 6 nights. We'd play in Rome during the day then hit up Trastevere at night for drinks/dinner/getting lost in the winding streets. Damn I want to go back.

i decided against the omnia pass. :shrug:  

we have line skipping passes to the vatican for the morning of the 18th,  we may get an audio tour, i found out that the one included in the omnia pass was only for st peter's, not the museums. we also have colosseum line skipping passes for the 19th, i upgraded to include the guided tour of the underground and 3rd tier of the colosseum.  both of those for 90 euro.  the omnia pass would have been 216 euros.   for us, with just those two visits we will probably have had our fill of "mandatory" sites.  add the underground st peter tomb tour and we will of course wander the city center and take all that in as well, but on our own time and pace we will more than satisfy our tourist needs.

For the audio tours just download Rick Steves app and download his audio tours.  They are short but for the most part they worked for me and my wife.  And they are free.

I just picked up some Italo tickets for Termini > Firenze...........they are running some decent train specials fyi.

I am under 30 days from travelling and spending 4 nites in Paris.  This is the first time I actually have a bit of concern.  Me and my wife have a deal for when we sit outside........we look over each others' shoulder and promise to jump on the other if we see something coming our way.  I am bigger than she is and worried she wont cover me totally.

My itinerary;

-Thursday arrive 7/6 paris and xfer to Florence.  rent car (also renting wifi key from autoeuropa).  drive to house.  meet my HVAC guy at 4p for boiler clean/inspection. 

-Friday, go to local olive oil cooperative and likely drive to ancona for wife's job, they will pay all expenses, including meals for this day.  hang at beach a bit.

-Saturday, wife skydive.  I dial 9-1...........add a 1 if chute doesn't deploy. 

-Sunday, local beach on Lake Trasimeno.

-Monday, lunch at local winery avignonesi.  evening at umbria jazz seeing dee dee bridgewater.

-Tuesday, visit vignabaldo winery, evening and dinner in siena.

-Wednesday, visit local farmers market, then visit icario winery, then hit mailboxes etc to ship back wine/oil.

-Thursday, leave house and drop car at FCO.  cab to rome hotel.  hang and hit favorite restaurant la fraschetta del castel sant angelo.

-Friday, high speed italo train from Rome > Florence.  hang.  baldovino dinner, gelato around santa croce.

-Saturday, 10.30a tours with locals private guide of farmers markets, tastings of everything.  leave us at eataly for lunch.  dinner ristorante academia (bistecca all fiorentina).

-Sunday, fly to CDG.  meet TwL guide at 6p for 1.5h walk and leave us at Bonvivant for dinner.

-Monday, 11a TwL 3 hr tour of main monuments.  leave us at Eiffel for 3p tour and 2nd floor access.  maybe summit and champagne if lines are reasonable.

-Tuesday, 11a TwL 2 hr tour of Notre Dame, ile de la cite.  pretend I am Quasimodo, scream "the bells".  leave us at quai for seine cruise.

-Wednesday, 11 TwL 2.5hr tour of Louvre.  dinner at Paul Bert for steak frites.

-Thursday, fin.......
Ugh. I'd do 2-3 of those things and call it a week

i decided against the omnia pass. :shrug:  

we have line skipping passes to the vatican for the morning of the 18th,  we may get an audio tour, i found out that the one included in the omnia pass was only for st peter's, not the museums. we also have colosseum line skipping passes for the 19th, i upgraded to include the guided tour of the underground and 3rd tier of the colosseum.  both of those for 90 euro.  the omnia pass would have been 216 euros.   for us, with just those two visits we will probably have had our fill of "mandatory" sites.  add the underground st peter tomb tour and we will of course wander the city center and take all that in as well, but on our own time and pace we will more than satisfy our tourist needs.
If I may make a recommendation for the Vatican and St. Peters......Get a Guided Tour

The museum is enormous. If you don't know anything about art or artifacts, you could waste a lot of time viewing things that aren't very important. A guide will take you to all of the major items and provide great historical information. This was huge for us. I used Angel Tours, linked above, for several different tours throughout Rome but the Vatican tour was IMO crucial. 

If you're like me, you don't want to spend more than 3.5 hours in a museum anyway. Better to get a guided tour and see all that the museum has to offer, as opposed to rushing through the entire thing trying to see EVERYTHING

If I may make a recommendation for the Vatican and St. Peters......Get a Guided Tour

The museum is enormous. If you don't know anything about art or artifacts, you could waste a lot of time viewing things that aren't very important. A guide will take you to all of the major items and provide great historical information. This was huge for us. I used Angel Tours, linked above, for several different tours throughout Rome but the Vatican tour was IMO crucial. 

If you're like me, you don't want to spend more than 3.5 hours in a museum anyway. Better to get a guided tour and see all that the museum has to offer, as opposed to rushing through the entire thing trying to see EVERYTHING
I highly recommend guided tours, but peoples' budgets vary.  we used to do group tours, but we have since moved to tours by locals for a private experience.  I am not walking in a group of 25 with my guide carrying a red umbrella....a little more personal is worth the $$ IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread