What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (2 Viewers)

Does anyone else think we could be really sleeping on Lynch? He's from Oakland. It's seems like he's motivated to play for his home town and would not want to suck to disappoint everyone he knows. Plus he was an RB1 not that long ago.

Turns out it was noticed, but no one made a big deal about it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/13/marshawn-lynch-sometimes-stood-sometimes-sat-for-anthem-as-a-seahawk/

Marshawn Lynch sometimes stood, sometimes sat for anthem as a Seahawk

Saturday night was not the first time Marshawn Lynch sat for the national anthem, just the first time it gained widespread attention.

After seeing our post this morning with a picture of Lynch standing for the anthem during the 2011 season, contrary to Raiders coach Jack Del Rio saying Lynch told him he’d sat for the anthem for 11 years, former NFL receiver Andrew Hawkins contacted us on Twitter and pointed out that Lynch did not stand for the anthem multiple times in 2015.

Lynch’s absence from the anthem did not entirely go unnoticed at the time. As pointed out by Hawkins, some fans on social media noted that Lynch wasn’t standing for the anthem. But it apparently didn’t garner any media attention.

That lack of attention stands in stark contrast to the anthem protest begun last year by Colin Kaepernick, who became the subject of a nationwide conversation when he declined to stand for the anthem, and whose actions last year still seem to be affecting his ability to get a job in the NFL this year.

So why was there no firestorm around Lynch? Maybe it’s because Lynch did sometimes stand for the anthem. Maybe it’s because no one in the media even noticed when Lynch was sitting. Maybe it’s because Kaepernick’s anthem protest was accompanied by vocal criticism of the police and the American government, while Lynch has not said anything publicly about why he didn’t stand for the anthem.

Whatever the reasons, Kaepernick was not the first NFL player to sit out the anthem. Lynch did it before him, and few people noticed or cared.
If you have ever heard Lynch talk at length he is pretty stupid.  So I doubt he even thought about making a statement sitting or standing during the anthem. Sometimes he just sat there in a daze..other times he joined his team in standing.   No big deal.

I drafted him this year and am expecting a big year or a bust because of pulled muscle injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else think we could be really sleeping on Lynch? He's from Oakland. It's seems like he's motivated to play for his home town and would not want to suck to disappoint everyone he knows. Plus he was an RB1 not that long ago.
I think so. Darfted him in both my leagues. I see 12+ tds this year easy

He went 10th in my dynasty league (to a contender), and nobody thought it was a reach at all. 

Who's sleeping on him? He's almost a lock for double digit touchdowns. But his touches will also be limited. 3rd round where he is going seems right to me. 

I've been trying to get info on him with respect to how he's doing in camp and it's been very quiet.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  I see he hasn't played much in the preseason likely because he's a vet and they want to keep him fresh.  He's an interesting guy because the Raiders have a good line and offense so the opportunities will be there but he's been out of football for a year, is going to be 31 and has had injury issues in the past.  Is he fools gold or someone to target?

He went for 26 in an auction yesterday (200 cap, 12-team). About the value of a mid 4th round pick.  Also went in the early 4th in another one of my snake drafts.  I think the risk/reward is definitely good at that point.  There's no other good early-down or goal-line back - he's going to get all those touches.

Even if he were to have no upside and score a modest 900/10 that's still a great place to draft him for that production.

I wasn't particularly targeting him this year but it looks like he may end up on 2 of my 5 teams at that price.

any news on how he's looked in practice over the summer?  has he had a burst?  looked slow?  struggled with injuries?

any news on how he's looked in practice over the summer?  has he had a burst?  looked slow?  struggled with injuries?
He looks motivated. Expect primarily two down work with limited receptions (220 touches, maybe if things go right for the Raiders). He should also be one of the favorites to lead the league in rushing TDs.

Chaka said:
He looks motivated. Expect primarily two down work with limited receptions (220 touches, maybe if things go right for the Raiders). He should also be one of the favorites to lead the league in rushing TDs.
Exactly. He didn't come out of retirement to sign with his hometown team so he could suck. He's going to have a monster year.

He looked really solid. It’s a matter of health and what he has left in the tank with that post 30 year old body. But he looked like Marshawn. 

Color me impressed.

He looked really good, but from a FF perspective, they are obviously gonna use the other RBs, making me wonder what his ceiling is this year.  He will need TDs, because I do not see him catching a lot of balls every week. 

He looked really good, but from a FF perspective, they are obviously gonna use the other RBs, making me wonder what his ceiling is this year.  He will need TDs, because I do not see him catching a lot of balls every week. 
Agreed. I say he will be held to under 200 touches this season if they want to have him for the post season. But he could be a super solid RB2 if the TD’s are there. I am still skeptical he stays healthy all season.

for sure, going to limit his carries and they have better pass catching backs. Still has huge TD upside

Just bumping this for any input from Raiders fans or those who have seen the games which I haven't been able to. Slightly disappointed yesterday that he only got 13 total touches in a dominant win. Was it just a case of managing his snaps and/or health since it was a blowout? Did he get dinged late? His stats so far have been decent but seems to me they pass quite a bit in the redzone, Crabtree got his third TD yesterday on a first down at the 1 yard line which puzzled me, why not hand it to Lynch? Anyway, not bad so far for a redraft 4th/5th rounder but just curious on his snap count and usage moving forward and if seasoned Raiders watchers think maybe Richard played himself into a bigger slice of the pie yesterday too?

Just bumping this for any input from Raiders fans or those who have seen the games which I haven't been able to. Slightly disappointed yesterday that he only got 13 total touches in a dominant win. Was it just a case of managing his snaps and/or health since it was a blowout? Did he get dinged late? His stats so far have been decent but seems to me they pass quite a bit in the redzone, Crabtree got his third TD yesterday on a first down at the 1 yard line which puzzled me, why not hand it to Lynch? Anyway, not bad so far for a redraft 4th/5th rounder but just curious on his snap count and usage moving forward and if seasoned Raiders watchers think maybe Richard played himself into a bigger slice of the pie yesterday too?
They aren't going to play him in a blowout. He looked like beast mode every time he touches the ball. Could have easily had 2 tds if Crabtree dropped or the defender makes the play. They will lean on him in close games. I expect a 3 td game in the next couple games.

He looks much better than I thought he would.  If you didn't know while watching him play this year it would be easy to believe that 2015-2016 never happened.

I'm loving what I see and yes, I think they are managing his workload.  I doubt he gets 20 carries any week.  15 should be about the cap with the quality depth we have.  We don't need to ride him, we ride Carr's right arm, we just need him to be a (fun, angry, mean, awesomeist) cog in the machine, help bring a balanced threat to the O, and to covert short yardage and goal line.  He's probably in line for double-digit TD's and could push 1k yards rushing.

Supposed to lean heavy on him today, understandably. I actually play in one of the 4% of Yahoo leagues he's available in but would have to drop either Powell or Henry to get him now since I'm forced to carry 2 extra QBs because of the bye. Hope he stays cheap during waivers next week but I have a feeling he's going to do work today.

Will they ever give him the 20+ carries he's supposed to be getting?

In ppr he pretty much has to be droppable, right?

Will they ever give him the 20+ carries he's supposed to be getting?

In ppr he pretty much has to be droppable, right?
Seriously...No point in saving him for the play offs if they can't get there. He looks good on his touches. I think I'm going to roll him out in one league this week. Need to fill out 2 slots between Lynch, Collins, Darkwa, Kelley, and Parker. Leaning Lynch and Darkwa atm.

I'm not sure what to do with Lynch yet. He has played against the top 2 rush defenses and managed 6-18 and 9-12.  In his other games against weaker rush defenses he has 18-76, 12-45-1, 12-43-1, and 13-63. He hasn't been burning it up in those easier match ups. The Chiefs D looks like a solid match up for running. He then has a couple of tougher match ups and then overall weaker run defenses for the stretch. This next week might be the time to sell if you want to bail on him so it might depend on where your team is at. 

I'm not sure what to do with Lynch yet. He has played against the top 2 rush defenses and managed 6-18 and 9-12.  In his other games against weaker rush defenses he has 18-76, 12-45-1, 12-43-1, and 13-63. He hasn't been burning it up in those easier match ups. The Chiefs D looks like a solid match up for running. He then has a couple of tougher match ups and then overall weaker run defenses for the stretch. This next week might be the time to sell if you want to bail on him so it might depend on where your team is at. 
What I've been noticing this year is that the only really beneficiaries of weaker defenses have been the other backs and cordarrelle Patterson getting the tds from from gadget plays and dump offs. 

Marshawn Lynch was absent from Raiders' practice on Tuesday.

It was just a light workout, but coach Jack Del Rio had expected Lynch to be present. It's always something with Beast Mode. He should be there on Wednesday, and reassume starting status for Week 9 against the Dolphins. Even with six teams on bye, Lynch won't be higher than the RB2/3 borderline in fantasy. He hasn't been good enough this season.

Source: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter 

Oct 31 - 2:38 PM

Marshawn Lynch was absent from Raiders' practice on Tuesday.

It was just a light workout, but coach Jack Del Rio had expected Lynch to be present. It's always something with Beast Mode. He should be there on Wednesday, and reassume starting status for Week 9 against the Dolphins. Even with six teams on bye, Lynch won't be higher than the RB2/3 borderline in fantasy. He hasn't been good enough this season.

Source: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter 

Oct 31 - 2:38 PM
Wow, not good. Hope this is 100% explainable. With the state of the Raiders' record and play, the in-fighting I've seen on the sidelines and heard about in locker room/practice, and now this, make me feel that there's something truly rotten in Raiderland.

Discipline waning, no leadership from vets let alone the coaches, this could spiral out of control and go way off the rails like Barrett Robbins pre-Superbowl.

Team needs to get their $#!% together, fast.

The Lynch to his hometown team was a potentially great story that isn't working out.  While some of his antics are harmless, marching to your own drummer is detrimental at times when you fail to take a team first approach.  Things are going bad and this is a time where you need everyone on the same page.  Let's see if Del Rio makes an excuse for him here....................

The Lynch to his hometown team was a potentially great story that isn't working out.  While some of his antics are harmless, marching to your own drummer is detrimental at times when you fail to take a team first approach.  Things are going bad and this is a time where you need everyone on the same page.  Let's see if Del Rio makes an excuse for him here....................
:lmao:

Who knows when it comes to Lynch. 

Not sure how useful he is to the Raiders if we don’t use him or to other teams if he can’t show consistent performance.
I don't follow the day to day Raiders news. Has there been an explanation of why they only give him 10 carries a game? It's not like Washington and Richard are lighting it up. Seems dumb not to lean on the guy. At least give him Latavius Murray level of carries.

I don't follow the day to day Raiders news. Has there been an explanation of why they only give him 10 carries a game? It's not like Washington and Richard are lighting it up. Seems dumb not to lean on the guy. At least give him Latavius Murray level of carries.
Bad playcalling :shrug:  

Great question that none of us have figured out this season.  This feels like Lynch's last season unless he looks much better for the rest of the season than he did in the first half of the season. 

I think he saved his season, and bought himself another year.

Still running with the same violence, still impossible to bring down on the first hit. Because he is always looking to hit you first.

Have no idea why we haven’t been giving him 15+ carries a game so he can wear Ds down. Another reason why I’ve been calling for Downing’s head all year.

For those who thought he lost a step, I think it’s undeniably clear he hasn’t.

Limiting factor this year is his usage, not performance.

I think he saved his season, and bought himself another year.

Still running with the same violence, still impossible to bring down on the first hit. Because he is always looking to hit you first.

Have no idea why we haven’t been giving him 15+ carries a game so he can wear Ds down. Another reason why I’ve been calling for Downing’s head all year.

For those who thought he lost a step, I think it’s undeniably clear he hasn’t.

Limiting factor this year is his usage, not performance.
I have been on the fence with him all year.  I knew that the oline was not opening holes well but I thought Lynch may be getting to the hole a split second late.  It is likely that Lynch's struggles are not his fault but are the result of poor blocking and poor play-calling.  I would love to be wrong about Lynch because the Raiders need big help on D and another WR. 

Users who are viewing this thread