What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (20 Viewers)

I don't mind the roster much.  I think it does fairly well in picking players that need to play together, cap tying some players, and putting some in Gold Cup to showcase what they can bring.

I continue to harp on this, but Werner is part of the problem here as he doesn't really force hard decisions from CBs in his runs and when he does the runs go into CPs (or Mount's space).  All of Werner's good runs are essentially inverted runs into the halfspace between the CB and outside back or out past the outside back instead of something that pulls the CBs apart and/or forces hard decisions (one of the reasons he's so often offsides as the decision to hold the line is relatively easy and predictable).  
Werner was really bad this year. He's fast, works hard, and received a bunch of opportunities, so his raw numbers look decent, but he was awful. Hopefully he can be put in a better position to succeed next year. 

I'm going back a few pages so I didn't want to quote it directly, but when I read this line I laughed:

Berhalter on David Ochoa: "We felt he had a strong Olympic qualifying...

To be fair, GGG said the last game didn't go as planned, but it gave me a chuckle. I was surprised to see Ochoa included again but I guess we don't have any better options. 

I'm going back a few pages so I didn't want to quote it directly, but when I read this line I laughed:

Berhalter on David Ochoa: "We felt he had a strong Olympic qualifying...

To be fair, GGG said the last game didn't go as planned, but it gave me a chuckle. I was surprised to see Ochoa included again but I guess we don't have any better options. 

I mean.....you can't throw away a talented player just because he made one mistake (even as horrendous a mistake as that was) when he's 20 years old.

No harm having him around the team. Its not like he's gonna play anyway.  Tough spot for Horvath. He needs to find a new team, so ideal scenario for him would be start at the Gold Cup. But Turner is still developing and hasn't had a lot of international reps, so he's the obvious choice to play.

I mean.....you can't throw away a talented player just because he made one mistake (even as horrendous a mistake as that was) when he's 20 years old.

No harm having him around the team. Its not like he's gonna play anyway.  Tough spot for Horvath. He needs to find a new team, so ideal scenario for him would be start at the Gold Cup. But Turner is still developing and hasn't had a lot of international reps, so he's the obvious choice to play.
Oh yeah, I agree. I'm not saying he should be tossed aside for that mistake, just surprised there aren't better options. 

Oh yeah, I agree. I'm not saying he should be tossed aside for that mistake, just surprised there aren't better options. 

I dont think him making the roster really reflects his position in the total US GK pool. If they were playing a life or death game today and for some reason....Steffan, Turner and Horvath were all unavailable, I dont think they'd throw him in there. But he's obviously got a more likely place in the future setup (compared to guys like Sean Johnson, Guzan, Hamid), so he's there for the experience.  Plus he's still a technically up for grabs dual-nat.

As far as "young guys" go, who is his competition? I guess its Marcinkowski, who is like 3 and a half years older and doesn't appear to be anything special.

Weird that the position where the US has been historically strongest is now the one where they dont seem to have any big time potential prospects. Thankfully Steffen is still pretty young.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

The #USMNT will travel with 25 players for the NL games and the Costa Rica friendly - the 23 player roster, Dike, and a player to be named (to the public) later. Berhalter feels this will prepare for 3-game windows in WCQ - with 25 players, 3 games, over a short span
Any guesses on who the 25th player is ?  I am assuming it is a midfielder since it sounds like they are planning to replace Adams up to 24 hours ahead of the semi finals

If Adams is healthy, the lineup picks itself mostly.  The only questions for GGG are:

1) Who starts next to Brooks (Miazga or McKenzie)

2) Does he prefer Yedlin on right/Dest on left, or Dest on right/Antonee on left.

Alvarez did not make the final 23 for Mexico which means he will not be cap tied for a while but I assume he will be a perfect fit for the Gold Cup for Mexico if they do the same thing the US is and have no overlap.

Question for the assembled...

Which teenage players who aren't doing it now would you bet on to be starting for a team in a Big-4 league two years from now, or getting significant minutes for an elite team?  I want to gather some names, get a consensus opinion and then track that group over time.

Che, Busio, Nyeman, Cowell, Clark are the first guys I thought of.

Question for the assembled...

Which teenage players who aren't doing it now would you bet on to be starting for a team in a Big-4 league two years from now, or getting significant minutes for an elite team?  I want to gather some names, get a consensus opinion and then track that group over time.

Che, Busio, Nyeman, Cowell, Clark are the first guys I thought of.
Cade, Caden and Aaronson

th' hell?!

This is on the 2003s:

The wingers are even deeper than the forwards with Dante Sealy, Chris Garcia, Fabrizio Bernal, Kevin Paredes, Patrick Bohui, Cade Cowell, and Tyler Freemann. Cade Cowell has already made his Major League Soccer debut which would make him a guaranteed starter for most age groups and is not even a top five winger for this age group.
This is a year old, so maybe they'd change their mind today -- but, still.

I think Clark and Che are the top of the list for me.   

But this is such a delicate age group in soccer.  Lots can and will change over the next couple of years.  It would not shock me if there is some one none of us have even mentioned that emerges.

I think Clark and Che are the top of the list for me.   

But this is such a delicate age group in soccer.  Lots can and will change over the next couple of years.  It would not shock me if there is some one none of us have even mentioned that emerges.
Yup, that U18 in particular is pretty volatile. My first reaction to the question was "who the hell knows". Had we asked just a few months ago, both Clark and Che wouldn't have even been mentioned.

2006-2008s is going to be a wave, IMO. A lot of the academies have established pipelines now where these kids have had time to flow through the ranks. Watching the Union in particular it's pretty apparent just how deep/established they are now.

Now this is very interesting...I wonder if US Soccer is dangling a Gold Cup carrot......

=================

Rubio Rubin is in the midst of a breakout season with Real Salt Lake, and his goal-scoring exploits have not only pushed his name back into the headlines, it has also helped generate interest from multiple national teams hoping to secure his allegiance.

The former U.S. Under-20 World Cup star is set to meet next week with Guatemalan federation officials about playing for the Guatemalan national team, sources have confirmed to SBI. To do so, Rubin would require a one-time switch due to his previous ties to the U.S. Men’s National Team.

Rubin has made seven appearances for the USMNT, dating back to his debut as an 18-year-old in 2014, but he has not been called up since 2018, and has yet to be part of a camp under current USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter.

While that may be the case, sources tell SBI that U.S. Soccer has been in touch with Rubin’s representatives about the 25-year-old remaining in the U.S. Soccer setup.

Great article on Leon Flach.  He’s been a stud so far in the Union midfield.  

Only 20, born in the US but raised in Germany, started as a German youth int’l but more recently has been in the US youth camps.  Definitely one to keep an eye on.

@Ned, you’ll especially love the part that it wasn’t so much that he wanted to come over to MLS in general, but that he specifically was interested in the Union after seeing what happened with Aaronson and McKenzie.  The team that practiced in a public park like 5 years ago.  Amazing turnaround

Great article on Leon Flach.  He’s been a stud so far in the Union midfield.  

Only 20, born in the US but raised in Germany, started as a German youth int’l but more recently has been in the US youth camps.  Definitely one to keep an eye on.
One extra reason for me to keep an eye on him is not that he has looked good in the midfield, but that he appears to have the skill set to play LB at a high level, which will continue to be a need for the US going forward.

edit: It will be interesting to see if he has already worked his way into a Gold Cup call up.

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Massimiliano Allegri will sign his contract as new Juventus manager in the next few hours. The agreement has been completed. Andrea Pirlo will be sacked. Just a matter of hours

NewlyRetired said:
Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Massimiliano Allegri will sign his contract as new Juventus manager in the next few hours. The agreement has been completed. Andrea Pirlo will be sacked. Just a matter of hours
Just asked it in the other thread...I wonder what this means for Swag

Users who are viewing this thread