What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (20 Viewers)

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

CONFIRMED: @Concacaf has approved the request for @HenryKessler4 to replace Walker Zimmerman on the #USMNT @GoldCup roster. He will wear the No. 24 shirt for the tournament.

This would normally excite me, but the guy seems to have just earned Luchi's trust.  I'd hate to see him have to start over at a time when what he needs are reps.  
Agreed. He's still a baby, but we've been waiting for him to find that form as a pro he had as a youth...I'd be happy letting him flourish a bit to find his legs and confidence before moving.

Was thinking about him recently...obviously we all liked his youth game, but what did he bring? Decent size, speed, good sense of space and timing for the runs, and good ability to finish. Didn't remember him being a super sleek skill guy, beating defenders of the dribble or doing a lot with the ball at his feet to open up shots for himself. Tbh, it all reminded me of Sargent...not a bad thing, but not giving me the jumpy&quo either.

I am all in for Zardes the coach some day :)

==============

[Goff] Zimmerman, Roldan, and Zardes are studying for their USSF B license during Gold Cup
I think Zardes could play a huge role in the recruitment of African Americans.   An underrepresented population in development programs so far as I can tell.  Would like to see he and others such  as Jozy provide some leadership in this space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Zardes could play a huge role in the recruitment of African Americans.   An underrepresented population in development programs so far as I can tell.  Would like to see he and others such Jozy provide some leadership in this space.
I agree. 

Although our current version of the team is as non white as I ever remember.

Brooks, Zardes, Dike, Adams, McKennie, Musah, Richards, Acosta, Dest, both Robinson's, Pefok, Weah and many others...

I think Zardes could play a huge role in the recruitment of African Americans.   An underrepresented population in development programs so far as I can tell.  Would like to see he and others such Jozy provide some leadership in this space.
I agree. 

Although our current version of the team is as non white as I ever remember.

Brooks, Zardes, Dike, Adams, McKennie, Musah, Richards, Acosta, Dest, both Robinson's, Pefok, Weah and many others..
Agreed.

I wonder what the youth game currently looks like across levels. Always seemed a Hispanic and suburban white focused sport.

I know they put a bunch of smaller street soccer fields around NYC to try to generate interest in predominantly African American neighborhoods...no idea how that's turned out. There's one near me that I rarely see in use.

I am all in for Zardes the coach some day :)

==============

[Goff] Zimmerman, Roldan, and Zardes are studying for their USSF B license during Gold Cup
Interesting tidbit is that pro players can skip a level or 2 of licensing requirements based on experience.  I won't go into my disdain of the licensing process and fees here but know a few "c" licensed coaches that never even coached a u12 team before.  Obviously that may not be the case with these guys and lord knows we could use more than a few more competent coaches around.

oh oh.   Get ready for a lot of Lletget....

==========================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Report: Yunus Musah out 3-6 weeks. If he’s on the tail end of that span, it would put into serious doubt his availability for the slate of World Cup qualifiers for the #USMNT

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Report: Yunus Musah out 3-6 weeks. If he’s on the tail end of that span, it would put into serious doubt his availability for the slate of World Cup qualifiers for the #USMNT
Aaronson please.  

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

again probably not an issue but this may be another cap tying event we are going to miss a chance on...

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Per @RMCsport , we have some transfer rumors about #USMNT & Fulham LB Antonee Robinson "Bordeaux leaders have targeted Antonee Robinson" BUT! "Bordeaux are negotiating a loan with an option to buy, but the player's salary is a problem for now. "

While Fulham are now in the Championship, Robinson is on Premier League wages - that is indeed a problem in moving to France, which is more cash strapped overall due to a TV deal that is much smaller than anticipated.

Dallas locks up Pepi, which assures them of getting a fee when he moves

============

Frisco, Texas (July 27, 2021) – FC Dallas has signed Homegrown Ricardo Pepi to a new, five-year contract through 2026, the club announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed.

“I'm very happy to give my everything to FC Dallas,” Pepi said. “I want to thank the club for having that trust in me. It’s a big step in my career, personally and for my family.”

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Updated odds:

• USA - 52%
  • Draw - 28%
  • Qatar - 21%
Getting Qatar at +375 (15/4) seems bonkers to me.

Suggests US is something like 65-70% likely to advance.

You guys got me all hot and bothered over putting Aaronson at the 8.

What if GGG just says "#### it" in the first game against ELS, "lets out play them" and fields Pulisic, Aaronson, Dest, Gio and Hoppe (at the 9).. 

That is 5 players who can all seriously ball and then they will be supported by rocks like Brooks, Adams and Weston.

Wow that looks like it would be fun to watch..............  :wub:

Ok, as of today (assuming the Musah injury doesn't keep him out until we know more) her is my 23 man roster for qualifying. Do they normally carry 3 keepers for qualifiers?

G – Steffen / Horvath / Turner

CB – Brooks / Richards / McKenzie / Zimmerman

LB/RB – Dest / Robinson / Cannon / Yedlin

Mid – Adams / McKennie / Musah / Acosta / Roldan

Wings – Pulisic / Reyna / Aaronson / Weah / Hoppe

Striker – Zardes / Sargent

You have some flexibility, Aaronson can move to the 8 if needed, Hoppe can move to striker if needed. Dest could switch to the left if needed. And Steffan is still my starter but I wouldn't feel horrible with any of the three back there. I'd love to have Miazga for some attitude but not sure you can justify it over the others.

Ok, as of today (assuming the Musah injury doesn't keep him out until we know more) her is my 23 man roster for qualifying. Do they normally carry 3 keepers for qualifiers?

You have some flexibility, Aaronson can move to the 8 if needed, Hoppe can move to striker if needed. Dest could switch to the left if needed. And Steffan is still my starter but I wouldn't feel horrible with any of the three back there. I'd love to have Miazga for some attitude but not sure you can justify it over the others.
I think Sands (maybe Busio) for Roldan.  Otherwise, I like it.

Most talented roster we've fielded in my lifetime.  Don't #### it up GGG.

I think Miles Robinson is likely to go, partly because he's the best athlete in the CB pool.  He brings something different.

Crazy given who he plays for, but I don't think it's impossible that Richards might be on the outside looking in.  Zimmerman and Robinson seem like locks.  Sands brings versatility.  It could be McKenzie vs Richards and I'm not sure who I think wins that.

• Smile
It is worth noting that Cannon seems fully healthy and GGG is starting Moore over him.

Hoppe, Moore, Robinson and Sands have gone from not even on the radar to now wondering if one or more of them may make a final 23 qualifying roster.

It is worth noting that Cannon seems fully healthy and GGG is starting Moore over him.

Hoppe, Moore, Robinson and Sands have gone from not even on the radar to now wondering if one or more of them may make a final 23 qualifying roster.
This is very true and it is interesting.  I like how Moore has looked as well. 

Given his health, that may be tactical.  The right side changed their shape in the 2nd half against Jamaica with Cannon going more inside than Moore

You guys got me all hot and bothered over putting Aaronson at the 8.

What if GGG just says "#### it" in the first game against ELS, "lets out play them" and fields Pulisic, Aaronson, Dest, Gio and Hoppe (at the 9).. 

That is 5 players who can all seriously ball and then they will be supported by rocks like Brooks, Adams and Weston.

Wow that looks like it would be fun to watch..............  :wub:

I think it's a no brainer decision.  Put the best players out there.  It's why I don't like pigeon holing Aaronson is just a winger and just a super sub when he's capable of playing MF and has done so at the club level.  And, Musah has even more flexibility as it seems he's played just about every offensive position except the #9.

Toni Juanmartí

@tjuanmarti

En los últimos días Sergiño Dest ha recibido llamadas de Arsenal, Dortmund y Mónaco. En algún caso la propuesta económica para el jugador superaba notablemente lo que percibe ahora. La respuesta del lateral fue la misma para los tres: solo piensa en triunfar en el Barça #fcblive

Toni Juanmartí
@tjuanmarti
 · 1h
In recent days Sergiño Dest has received calls from Arsenal, Dortmund and Monaco. In some cases the economic proposal for the player significantly exceeded what he makes now. The full-back's response was the same for all three of them: he only thinks about succeeding at Barca #fcblive

This is likely to be announcing the site for the US Mexico WCQier (this is FC Cincy's home)

====================

TQL Stadium

@TQLStadium

Tune in tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. for an exciting announcement

This is likely to be announcing the site for the US Mexico WCQier (this is FC Cincy's home)

====================

TQL Stadium

@TQLStadium

Tune in tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. for an exciting announcement
I just looked into tickets for this. It looks like secondary market will be the only way to attend this game. Totally fair to favor existing US soccer insiders, but disappointing for me as the secondary prices will surely push the cost well out of my price range. 

• Sad
Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

US WCQ fall schedule

Sept 2 at El Salvador

Sept 5 v Canada in Nashville

Sept 8 at Honduras

Oct 7 v Jamaica in Austin

Oct 10 at Panama

Oct 13 v Costa Rica tba

Nov 12 v Mexico in Cincinnati

Nov 16 at Jamaica

I just looked into tickets for this. It looks like secondary market will be the only way to attend this game. Totally fair to favor existing US soccer insiders, but disappointing for me as the secondary prices will surely push the cost well out of my price range. 
this practice is mostly due to Mexico.  US Soccer learned many years ago that if they don't do the private targeted sales, Mexican fans buy up all the tickets instantly.   Mexican fans even sued US Soccer (who hasn't at this point) over the method but the court sided with US Soccer. 

This method is the only one they have found to make sure the make up of the crowd is 85%+ US fans.

Users who are viewing this thread