What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

Will he have to fight for minutes there? What is their typical formation? Who are his competitors?

I am not familiar with the team.  Looking on wiki, Sargent is the only striker they have signed this window.

3 other strikers are listed on the roster (the only one I know is Pukki).

I am not sure what formation they used last season but I would assume the tactics will be different based on being top of the table in the championship vs fighting for survival in the EPL.  I am going to assume only 1 striker but I don't know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bad feeling about Norwich. Feel very similar to what Dinsey said...team and sarge again playing on the back foot and having to chase, not be consistently in good spots to score.

I like Puki, but what I saw of him last year he looked like he'd lost a big step.

From skimming some reddit posts Norwich won't spend 11mil pounds for him to ride the pine. It's a big outlay for them. 

Like others have said they still have Pukki, but he's falling off. I thought Pukki fell off during the 19/20 season, the last time Norwich was in the PL.  

El Floppo said:
I have a bad feeling about Norwich. Feel very similar to what Dinsey said...team and sarge again playing on the back foot and having to chase, not be consistently in good spots to score.

I like Puki, but what I saw of him last year he looked like he'd lost a big step.
I don't think Sargent is going to be getting any better offers for first division football.  I do know that Norwich has made a significant investment into their squad this summer and have added some solid pieces.  I think that in about half of their games they'll be competitive and won't be sitting in a bus, but even when they do park it against the big squads I still think the experience of battling with the best CBs and FBs in the world will be a positive for Josh.

That’s pretty amazing 

it is beyond amazing.   Remember that every team above the US is European which has its obvious statistical bias in a chart like this (domestic leagues are almost always going to have a higher probability of playing young players from their own country vs playing young foreign players, it is just a numbers game).  

The fact that we were the top country in the world outside of the actual European league in question is incredible given the massive amount of young talent Brazil exports.

Now whether we can continue this is another story.   Pulisic, Weston and Adams will soon be out of this age group.  It will be fun to watch.

not too far away from our 9 ranking.

As I've been saying, USMNT expectations need to be raised.  Barely getting through the hex/ocho is no longer acceptable.   We should be dominating.

You need to temper these expectations with the understanding that no one in the world has a team as young as the US.  There is a reason the average World Cup team age is MUCH higher than what the US currently is.  None of those nations above the US are going to be fielding teams as young as the US.

We are one cycle away from being at the prime age for raising expectations IMO.  Expecting the youngest national team in the world to dominate is not realistic IMO.

I remember watching a bit of Norwich last time they were up and didn’t think they really parked the bus as much as being discussed here. Here’s their game by game possession stats.

They definitely gave up possession to teams like Liverpool and Man City, but generally speaking they hung in there around 50/50, give or take, and had more possession fairly often against mid and lower table teams. As a Newcastle supporter, I’d kill for these numbers. 

They averaged 61% last year in the championship. They won’t be Leeds (Leeds Leeds) but I don’t think they’ll be West Brom, either.

Was looking thru the offensive/defensive ratings of EPL v Bundesliga teams and was surprised how much better the EPL is defensively.  There are a lot more elite Ds in the EPL and not as many really bad ones further down the table either.  Sargent is going to work for the scraps he gets this year.

Chelsea is not shy of spending.  It is going to be interesting watching minutes this year.  They have a ton of games but an equal ton of offensive players

==========

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Romelu Lukaku to Chelsea, confirmed and here we go! The agreement is set to be completed after further talks. €115m to Inter and no players included. Paperworks to be signed once details are fixed

So it  looks like Roma redefined the word "Friendly" today.  They racked up an amazing 4 red cards, 1 of which when to Mourinho.

Reynolds did not play in this game.

Herc has Yedlin on his A team starting 11, which I love and agree with.  He also has Sargent, which I strongly disagree with.

Herc has Yedlin on his A team starting 11, which I love and agree with.  He also has Sargent, which I strongly disagree with.
I think I’d go Cannon but honestly don’t feel too strongly about either or Moore if you want to throw him in.  Hopefully one separates themselves.

I think I’d go Cannon but honestly don’t feel too strongly about either or Moore if you want to throw him in.  Hopefully one separates themselves.

Agreed.  Dest + Robinson/Cannon/Moore isn't worth worrying about all that much IMO.  All three of the pairings seem about equal.

Hadn't noticed the bottles getting tossed at the US players celebrating in the corner after the final whistle. Typical class from the mex fans.

This is probably the move that is going to define his career.  Hoping for the best....

======

Roger Gonzalez

@RGonzalezCBS

USMNT striker Josh Sargent will be traveling to England tomorrow (Monday) to sign with Norwich City, sources tell CBS Sports. #NCFC

Lille play today...I think their season opener. They beat PSG in the french league vs cup winners game.Weah subbed in for David as the first sub with Lille winning in that one...a sign of things to come unless David (or Weah) move on or get hurt.

he's getting minutes as a preferred sub- is that enough at 21yo?

Lille play today...I think their season opener. They beat PSG in the french league vs cup winners game.Weah subbed in for David as the first sub with Lille winning in that one...a sign of things to come unless David (or Weah) move on or get hurt.

he's getting minutes as a preferred sub- is that enough at 21yo?

It has to be I guess.  I think Weah and Pulisic will both be in similar positions this year for minutes.  They both have to really shine as subs (or in Cup matches) to get a run of league starts. 

I remember watching a bit of Norwich last time they were up and didn’t think they really parked the bus as much as being discussed here. Here’s their game by game possession stats.

They definitely gave up possession to teams like Liverpool and Man City, but generally speaking they hung in there around 50/50, give or take, and had more possession fairly often against mid and lower table teams. As a Newcastle supporter, I’d kill for these numbers. 

They averaged 61% last year in the championship. They won’t be Leeds (Leeds Leeds) but I don’t think they’ll be West Brom, either.
Interesting stats, thanks.

I remembered them as being a very direct countering team, sim to Leicester, with Puki leading the line through his timing and pace. Sarge has the timing, but not the pace.

What I saw of them last season (limited) Puki looked like he'd lost a step and couldn't adequately attack those counters which left Nor looking toothless. In that sense, I'm not sure what Sarge gives them in attack.

Eta...but those stats show a more balanced team than a strictly countering one. Maybe I only saw them vs the better teams. Curious how they play now.

It has to be I guess.  I think Weah and Pulisic will both be in similar positions this year for minutes.  They both have to really shine as subs (or in Cup matches) to get a run of league starts. 
They both will have a fair bit of cup games to get time as well...but not optimal for two of our "no brainer" WCQ lynchpins

I agree with you. But whatever media getting linked in here keeps putting him as clearcut.. :shrug:

I think with GGG likely to be calling in 26-28 players for each window, he is almost certainly going to be called in, but I am unsure if he will make each 23.  I think a lot of what happens with Weah and Hoppe depends on how many strikers GGG calls and whether GGG is willing to use either Aaronson or Gio at the 8.

Users who are viewing this thread