What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

I thought this was an interesting stat for Turner as I saw a couple of people saying Turner's passes constantly went to the other teams:

================

Turner also completed 153 of 164 passes throughout the Gold Cup

Doyle nailed this article....Here is a great comment on Zardes

========================

Gyasi’s never going to dominate a game himself, but he’s miserable to play against because of his movement and physicality, his first touch is much-improved, he’s smart as hell (watch him directing both Busio and Gioacchini in the 4-3-3 clip), and his off-ball movement remains elite.

He’s going to score so many goals during qualifying when playing with the first team, and a certain type of fan is going to be angry about that. It's going to be so wonderful.

Hey- I totally agree he needs to be in the WCQ roster and maybe even starting based purely on his GC performances.

I'm just trying to look past our collective short sighted history (like Dike being the clear cut #9 or Nips never being a decent international because his last couple games stunk) to remind myself of what has been an ok, far from great international career to properly set expectations.
Yeah.  I don't know how to divorce Moreno coming off and our subs, but our MF was essentially non-existent the first half of the match.  I know we won, but we decisively lost the possession battle (we went down from 43% to 36% from Nations League to GC with much of Mexico's possession being very flaccid in the NL) and while corner kicks aren't a fantastic judge of dominance, they got flipped from 6-4 in our favor to 6-11 in their favor.   Frankly, we were hanging on for much of the first 60 minutes and this performance was much more akin to pre-GGG than anything else since 2019.  

This is a little chicken and egg, but Robinson and Acosta had to look great since that left side was continually exploited (granted Chaka is a pretty fantastic LB and Tata figured out how to bypass the press) and while its relatively easy to see how Robinson's performance could translate to the A team, I'm not sure we should be making the same conclusion about Acosta (or frankly any of the front seven field players from the GC Final).  The fact is, they got overrun and didn't maintain possession.  

This kid has been quietly solid but it looks like the Revs being so good this year is bringing scouting eyes to the team.   I hope some one is willing to take a chance on Turner given his age (which is not old for a keeper).

This turned out to be quite the college draft for NE.  This kid was taken after Buchanan by the Revs.

======================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

The #NERevs are on a tear, and European clubs are taking notice of more and more of their players. You can add DeJuan Jones to that list. I'm told that a pair of Bundesliga clubs have expressed interested in the Revs left back.

Looks like Colorado is not done after the Vines sale.

This snow ball down this hill we are experiencing in MLS players getting looks is wonderful.

======================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Sources: The Colorado Rapids have rejected an offer from a Dutch club for homegrown and US youth national team midfielder Cole Bassett, while talks remain ongoing with a "top" Portuguese club.

I thought this was an interesting stat for Turner as I saw a couple of people saying Turner's passes constantly went to the other teams:

================

Turner also completed 153 of 164 passes throughout the Gold Cup
Yeah, but this doesn't take into account the goal line kicks or long balls.  I feel like we won very few of his long balls, although that might've been the forwards' fault as much as Turner's. 

Given that we played out of the back much, much less often than with Steffen this is kind of a big deal.  However, Turner's passing wasn't nearly as bad as it has been in the past and there's zero doubt now that he's the best natural goal stopper in the group, so there's a good chance that it's worth it to punt it deep more often.

Looks like Colorado is not done after the Vines sale.

This snow ball down this hill we are experiencing in MLS players getting looks is wonderful.

======================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Sources: The Colorado Rapids have rejected an offer from a Dutch club for homegrown and US youth national team midfielder Cole Bassett, while talks remain ongoing with a "top" Portuguese club.
Bassett is one I've been waiting on.  I figured there was a real good chance he made a move this summer.  I hope Colorado isn't holding on for too much because I think Bassett is a name for 2026 and would love to see him get some top level soccer experience ASAP.

If Steffan wants to stay the USMNT number 1 (or get it back), he's gonna have to leave city. He's not beating out ederson and he's not gonna iron out his wrinkles without consistent playing time 

This kid has been quietly solid but it looks like the Revs being so good this year is bringing scouting eyes to the team.   I hope some one is willing to take a chance on Turner given his age (which is not old for a keeper).

This turned out to be quite the college draft for NE.  This kid was taken after Buchanan by the Revs.

======================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

The #NERevs are on a tear, and European clubs are taking notice of more and more of their players. You can add DeJuan Jones to that list. I'm told that a pair of Bundesliga clubs have expressed interested in the Revs left back.
Say no more!

Ziyech started w Havertz and Werner up front and had two goals. 
Yeah.  Saw that.  Ziyech looked very dangerous all game long.  Doesn't bode well for Christian.  I'm betting Mount/Werner/Havertz are the expected front 3 and if Ziyech is playing that well, then Christian will be the second guy off the bench, not first.  Also, if rumors are true that Chelsea are getting Lukaku....  oof.  Then Christian likely moves to third off the bench after Werner as well.  

CP is gonna need to take every chance he's given this summer if he wants extensive play time at Chelsea.

Yeah.  Saw that.  Ziyech looked very dangerous all game long.  Doesn't bode well for Christian.  I'm betting Mount/Werner/Havertz are the expected front 3 and if Ziyech is playing that well, then Christian will be the second guy off the bench, not first.  Also, if rumors are true that Chelsea are getting Lukaku....  oof.  Then Christian likely moves to third off the bench after Werner as well.  

CP is gonna need to take every chance he's given this summer if he wants extensive play time at Chelsea.

one small bright side is GGG won't have to worry as much about his minutes....

Larry Henry Jr

@lhenry019

German outlet Kicker stated that Joe Scally was Borussia Monchengladbach’s “preseason winner” throughout camp. 18-year-old could make competitive debut in German Cup this weekend(Mon.) against Kaiserslautern.

Gabriel Slonina became the youngest goalkeeper in MLS history tonight at 17 years old and picked up a clean sheet.

God do we need our youth national programs to start up again soon.

encaitar said:

ziyech was somewhat of a forgotten man last season. He’s been on fire in these first few exhibition games. If Lukaku joins the team, Pulisic will be in a dogfight for minutes. I personally think that’s a great situation for him. They are playing for multiple trophies this season so there will be plenty of minutes to go around. 

Gabriel Slonina became the youngest goalkeeper in MLS history tonight at 17 years old and picked up a clean sheet.

God do we need our youth national programs to start up again soon.

Other than the ~18 year olds already breaking through, Busio, Scally, Cowell, etc -- there must be a big group in the next tier we basically haven't heard anything about in the last couple years, right?

Going to be some nice surprises in the coming months I'd think.

Other than the ~18 year olds already breaking through, Busio, Scally, Cowell, etc -- there must be a big group in the next tier we basically haven't heard anything about in the last couple years, right?

Going to be some nice surprises in the coming months I'd think.

I don't have a sense on the national level, so take it for what it's worth, but 2006-2008 is the crop to watch for (U16-U14).

Users who are viewing this thread