What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

"Anyone want to talk about (Miles) Robinson being in the conversation as a full team starting CB when WCQ comes?"

-Twellman on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, my 23:

GK -- Steffen, Whorebath, Turner

D -- Dest, Cannon, A. Robinson, Brooks, Richards, Zimmerman, McKenzie

M -- McKennie, Adams, Musah, Acosta, Busio, Lletget

F -- Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Dike, Weah, Sargent, Hoppe

Would consider M Robinson instead of Sargent or Turner.

Am I forgetting someone?

ETA -- Fringe guys: Yedlin, Cowell, Clark, Reynolds, Zardes
M Robinson definitely on the 23 for me now. Takes Zimmerman's slot?

Sands in for Busio (or Lletget, but I know GGG won't do that).

Zardes for Dike.

We are going to be leaving some quality at home. 

Zardes for Dike.

Plenty of qualifying windows with compressed schedules that 27-28 can easily be in the mix.  I was looking at the schedule last night and our boys are going to be racking up some frequent flyer miles.  Not sure how the regular league schedules will even work.

Do we know the roster max is at 23 or are they expanding it due to the compressed schedule?  A quick googling turned up nadda.

Zardes for Dike.

I might have Busio in over Sands and  and definitely over Lletget...I like his upside.  

Don't expect our Euro stars to be in the 23 every time.  The grind this year will be insane.  Here's a taste of Pulisic's agenda.

Aug 14, 22, 28

SEPT 2, 5, 8 

SEPT 11, 14 CL, 19, 25, 28 CL OCT 2

OCT 7, 10, 13

Oct 16, 19 CL, 23, 30, NOV 2 CL, 6

NOV 12, 16

NOV 20, 23 CL, 27, 30, DEC 4, 7 CL, 11, 15, 18, 26, 28, JAN 1, 16, 22

JAN 27, 30, FEB 2

FEB 8, 12, 19, 26, MAR 5, 12, 19

MAR 24, 27, 30

Obvious Pulisic won't play in all of these games, but here are the games on his schedule.  Bold is the Premier League and Champions League Group stage games.

September 7 games,  4 intercontinental flights

October 8 games 4 intercontinental flights

November 8 games 3 intercontinental flights

December 7 games

January 5 games 4 intercontinental flights

February 5 games, maybe one CL

March 6 games, maybe one CL 4 intercontinental flights

Don't expect our Euro stars to be in the 23 every time.  The grind this year will be insane.  Here's a taste of Pulisic's agenda.

Aug 14, 22, 28

SEPT 2, 5, 8 

SEPT 11, 14 CL, 19, 25, 28 CL OCT 2

OCT 7, 10, 13

Oct 16, 19 CL, 23, 30, NOV 2 CL, 6

NOV 12, 16

NOV 20, 23 CL, 27, 30, DEC 4, 7 CL, 11, 15, 18, 26, 28, JAN 1, 16, 22

JAN 27, 30, FEB 2

FEB 8, 12, 19, 26, MAR 5, 12, 19

MAR 24, 27, 30

Obvious Pulisic won't play in all of these games, but here are the games on his schedule.  Bold is the Premier League and Champions League Group stage games.

September 7 games,  4 intercontinental flights

October 8 games 4 intercontinental flights

November 8 games 3 intercontinental flights

December 7 games

January 5 games 4 intercontinental flights

February 5 games, maybe one CL

March 6 games, maybe one CL 4 intercontinental flights
Good stuff, gb- thanks.

Luckily we are pretty deep at the position.  I'm more concerned about Adams and some of the midfield.  

I'm sure there are many of the others are looking at similar or worse schedules.  That was a sample point to get a feel for how many games are on the schedule this year.  Beyond the games, now a majority of our "23" will be adding in 4 serious flights that will chew up addition time.

My point was that we can spend time debating our "23", but I think we are looking at 30-35 that see time.  I fully expect guys like Sarge, Pulisic, Gio, Dest to not be selected every cycle and also for each "23" roster to have a couple of guys like Yuell there designated for mop up minutes in case we have a 4-0 lead type of game.

I fully expect guys like Sarge, Pulisic, Gio, Dest to not be selected every cycle and also for each "23" roster to have a couple of guys like Yuell there designated for mop up minutes in case we have a 4-0 lead type of game.

This is interesting.  I have to say I would be surprised if a healthy Adams/Weston/Dest/Gio/Pulisic is not selected for every window while we remain unqualified.  This is not to say they would be playing every minute, they won't be but to not have them even selected for key games would make me scratch my head.  

The condensed schedule may provide some surprises though as you indicated.

So obviously we'll need to lean on our MLS guys.  How do they stay sharp and ready for duty when most of them will be done in November?  Any concerns here?

It might not be too much of an issue for 2021 as the players will still all be fit (the last window is in early November).   

The main concern would be the 2022 Jan-Feb games but that is mitigated a little by the fact that Germany will be returning to its normal winter break this year which frees up a large group of players for us to choose from.

nice!

===============

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Brondby and Red Bull Salzburg will face each other in the Champions League playoff. Christian Cappis vs. Brenden Aaronson. One of them is going to the group stages.

As awesome as being in Pot 1 would be, my sense is that given the [lack of] rankings of a lot of the teams in the Ocho, the US would have to compile an insane record to do so.

As awesome as being in Pot 1 would be, my sense is that given the [lack of] rankings of a lot of the teams in the Ocho, the US would have to compile an insane record to do so.
Let's be honest:  We're not going to be in Qatar's group no matter which pot we're in; they're going to get cake teams and won't want anything to do with us.  In fact, I'd bet we get a group of death because we knocked them out of the Gold Cup.

Paul Carr

@PaulCarr

Leftover USMNT notes from the Gold Cup final...

Set a team record with 14th straight home win

Extended team record with 15th straight win vs CONCACAF teams

9th straight win overall, the second-longest win streak in team history

Also, for the first time in team history, the #USMNT has won four straight games by identical 1-0 scores.

I'm actually a bit concerned with CONCACAF...good to see Canada bouncing back but I'm not sure this statistic bodes well for the region.

Costa Rica being a shell of itself does hurt the confed.  It would not shock me if they ended up 7th or 8th in the ocho.   Maybe Navas stands on his head but that is a big ask even of a keeper as good as he is.

Costa Rica being a shell of itself does hurt the confed.  It would not shock me if they ended up 7th or 8th in the ocho.   Maybe Navas stands on his head but that is a big ask even of a keeper as good as he is.

qatar sliced right through it...we need more WC wins from the region.   

A couple of interesting takes

==========

@WhoIsNextUSMNT

Hot take: Biggest loser this gold cup? Julian Araujo, Shaq Moore said on his Instagram that he wasn’t even supposed to be here this GC, Araujo will still have a GREAT career but these six games would’ve put him on an even faster track to the top

@ChuckMe92Soccer

Efra didn't necessarily make the wrong choice for himself -- the US is deeper with young players at his position. On the other hand, however, the US is simply more willing to play young players. He could have gotten time for the US in this tournament that he didn't get with Mex.

It is kind of fascinating that we had two full teams that competed well with Mexico and on top of that we are providing them dual nats.

A couple of interesting takes

==========

@WhoIsNextUSMNT

Hot take: Biggest loser this gold cup? Julian Araujo, Shaq Moore said on his Instagram that he wasn’t even supposed to be here this GC, Araujo will still have a GREAT career but these six games would’ve put him on an even faster track to the top

@ChuckMe92Soccer

Efra didn't necessarily make the wrong choice for himself -- the US is deeper with young players at his position. On the other hand, however, the US is simply more willing to play young players. He could have gotten time for the US in this tournament that he didn't get with Mex.

So Moore was only included because Araujo declined the call up right?  He didn't want to cement a decision yet?  Man, he already had Euro squads looking at him.  If Araujo had even 80% of the tourney that Shaq did he'd have been topping a lot of transfer lists in Europe.  I won't be surprised to see Shaq move after his tourney either.

Alvarez is Mexican now.  No point in wondering what if there.

ok, so lets push our luck.  Here is a line up with the following rules:

1) Player was not on either the Nations League or the Gold Cup rosters

2) Player must be actively healthy (no Long, Morris or Ledezma).

3) Use GGG's typical 4-1-2-3 formation

I might be nuts but I think this team could compete with the Gold Cup team that just won the tournament...

===================================

..........................................Melia

Reynolds................CCV....................Richards...................Gasper

.......................................Otasowi

...............LDLT...................................Pomykal

Konrad........................Pepi...............................Clark

subs: EPB, Green, Ebobisse, Cowell, Cappis, Tessman, Arauju

Definitely could compete...I'd favor the actual team, but this lineup doesn't have many monstrous holes.

talent wise it seems fairly similar.  But impossible to measure heart and effort on paper.

Gasper was the only stretch I felt although he is at least a competent pro.

ok, so lets push our luck.  Here is a line up with the following rules:

1) Player was not on either the Nations League or the Gold Cup rosters

2) Player must be actively healthy (no Long, Morris or Ledezma).

3) Use GGG's typical 4-1-2-3 formation

I might be nuts but I think this team could compete with the Gold Cup team that just won the tournament...

===================================

..........................................Melia

Reynolds................CCV....................Richards...................Gasper

.......................................Otasowi

...............LDLT...................................Pomykal

Konrad........................Pepi...............................Clark

subs: EPB, Green, Ebobisse, Cowell, Cappis, Tessman, Arauju
I love this team.

This is interesting.  I have to say I would be surprised if a healthy Adams/Weston/Dest/Gio/Pulisic is not selected for every window while we remain unqualified.  This is not to say they would be playing every minute, they won't be but to not have them even selected for key games would make me scratch my head.  

I won't be surprised if some of the Euros don't travel for the middle match when its home, away, home.  I think you end up having the full 23 for the first home match and then "split squad" the away and home.   As an aside the Austin to Panama City to Columbus trek is very stupid especially when you could have thrown the Austin match on the way to Mexico City, but I digress.  

NewlyRetired said:

Do you have to select the same squad for entire 3 game window?

Looking at the Pulisic schedule above, I could see him playing El Salvador away and Canada at home then flying back to England instead of traveling to Honduras. 

Maybe the German schedule allows an overlap for Reyna et al to play Canada and Honduras?

Talking Wolves

@TalkingWolves

Owen Otasowie has reportedly rejected a new contract at Wolves. The USA international has a year left on his deal at Molineux and could leave for around £6m with Wolfsburg and Anderlecht interested.

I just watched an 18 minute video of Robinson dominating the Gold Cup. 

I knew he had a fantastic cup but I did not appreciate one aspect of his game until I saw the video.  He had an incredibly high % of the plays he broke up being safely played to his teammates.   This was not just crazy destruction or last ditch kick out of bounds stuff.  He tackled and or won balls and consistently got the ball go a teammate up the field.

Very impressive.

I just watched an 18 minute video of Robinson dominating the Gold Cup. 

I knew he had a fantastic cup but I did not appreciate one aspect of his game until I saw the video.  He had an incredibly high % of the plays he broke up being safely played to his teammates.   This was not just crazy destruction or last ditch kick out of bounds stuff.  He tackled and or won balls and consistently got the ball go a teammate up the field.

Very impressive.
Link?

Users who are viewing this thread