What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (21 Viewers)

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
AAABatteries said:
My point:  calm down everybody.  I'm happy to give GGG more than 3 games - I think he's earned that much.
Co-signed.

But it is really hard to know when to pull the trigger when the season is only 14 games long.

If you are committing to more than 3 games, you are effectively committing to 6 games, and more likely 8, since the November break is not really long enough after October for a new coach to influence much.

You really need to be comfortable that Berhalter is the guy who can get the team qualified.

I also still don't see why Brooks deserves the love he gets.  He may be good in the air, but he is a liability in the middle of the park and on counter attacks with pace.
people see him trying to provide cover out wide in a runner and think he's awful when he gets burned... and he does get burned in those situations. that's definitely his Achilles heel.

but organizing a defense, dictating the center of the defense in the air or on the ground and then being one of the best passers of the ball- either easy short or diagonal long...those are consistent strengths at all levels.

with a speedy CB partner and FBs, he should normally be fine and not have to be chasing anybody. 

Ugh I’m really disappointed at how disappointed and anxious I am about all of this. Can they just play right now, create 5 or 6 solid chances and convert on 3 of them? Please?

If you are committing to more than 3 games, you are effectively committing to 6 games, and more likely 8, since the November break is not really long enough after October for a new coach to influence much.

You really need to be comfortable that Berhalter is the guy who can get the team qualified.
You hit on something here…even if we hold serve and tie tomorrow night, that effectively makes the next window have to be a 7 point window and the Nov window a 3 point window.  Anything short of that and we’re really in trouble (the only redeeming point is everyone save Mexico seems sort of middling at best).  12-13 points from 8 matches is sort of the minimum you’d want to be at to feel comfortable.  

Anything in the single digits after Nov has to be looked at really carefully especially since MLS is out of season at that point.  But you’re right that Nov window is naturally the best place to do it timing wise if you are going to do it.  

Ugh I’m really disappointed at how disappointed and anxious I am about all of this. Can they just play right now, create 5 or 6 solid chances and convert on 3 of them? Please?

This should help calm the nerves:

World Soccer Talk@worldsoccertalk·8m

The last time the #USMNT defeated Honduras in a World Cup qualifier in Honduras was 12 years ago (2009).

(Every thing seems more dramatic when teams don't play for 4 years at.a stretch...It was one loss, one draw in the two meetings since 2009). 

This should help calm the nerves:

World Soccer Talk@worldsoccertalk·8m

The last time the #USMNT defeated Honduras in a World Cup qualifier in Honduras was 12 years ago (2009).

(Every thing seems more dramatic when teams don't play for 4 years at.a stretch...It was one loss, one draw in the two meetings since 2009). 
Connor Casey brace IIRC. I’m calling a Lletget brace fir tomorrow night. 

in the silver lining dept...

Sergino Dest is expected to be fit for Barcelona’s La Liga clash against Sevilla on Saturday, if the game goes ahead, despite suffering an ankle spain playing for the USMNT.

The right-back was taken off in the first half of his team’s 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw with Canada and will not play his team’s next game against Honduras, according to Siempre Positivo.

However, the injury is just a “minor ankle sprain” which means Dest should be available for the trip to Sevilla which remains in some doubt

in the silver lining dept...

Sergino Dest is expected to be fit for Barcelona’s La Liga clash against Sevilla on Saturday, if the game goes ahead, despite suffering an ankle spain playing for the USMNT.

The right-back was taken off in the first half of his team’s 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw with Canada and will not play his team’s next game against Honduras, according to Siempre Positivo.

However, the injury is just a “minor ankle sprain” which means Dest should be available for the trip to Sevilla which remains in some doubt
ok cool.

Dest himself used the words "small sprain" in his twitter post, so I think he knew it was not terrible when he left camp.

great, even the kind people from the north are making fun of us :)

==================

[Charlie O'Connor-Clarke] John Herdman says #CanMNT are "focused & committed" to a man, from training, tactical meetings, etc. Adds (cheekily, maybe): "There's no disappearing and going on adventures in Toronto; these boys are dialed in."

oh so in case people did not know but assumed, like I did, that Weston went out, partied, met a chick, and brought her back to the hotel to bang.  However it did not occur like that according to the TUDN report.

Spending the night out and then bringing some one back happened on different nights.

I was sadly poo pooing many of the reports from Italy but now its now becoming clearer that he has some significant discipline problems that go well beyond eating too much Chipotle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some quotes:

Berhalter on playing Ricardo Pepi... "We don't have hesitation putting him in. The situation hasn't arisen yet"

Berhalter on whether Weston has a #USMNT future. "Of course... We had a long conversation... he's a guy I care for deeply."

Christian Pulisic on Weston McKennie: "We didn't obviously speak to him. We were just obviously told what happened by the coach and everything. We were pretty much forced to look past it, which we have."

Berhalter on playing Ricardo Pepi... "We don't have hesitation putting him in. The situation hasn't arisen yet"
I hope it "arises" soon because your other 2 strikers have played a combined 180 minutes plus injury time and neither have had a good chance on goal with well struck shots/headers that I can remember.

Seems like the TV schedule is a bit in flux.   

Telemundo has been added as a broadcaster of the US game and the Mexico Panama start time has been moved to an hour earlier so that the Mexico and US games will not overlap.  At least at the moment, things seems to be fluid right now.

Don't forget the US game time also changed earlier this week to 10:30pm eastern start time.

All I know is that when I was Weston's age, it would have been impossible to keep me in a hotel room and away from women...or at least the opportunity of women.

This seems forgivable...hope he's in our plans for the next set of games.  

https://twitter.com/airborne69/status/1435399365359808515?s=21

If Weston is covering for others, I don’t know where that leaves this program under this coach.  

These kids are 20 year old superstars.  GGG has no idea how to manage them or is incapable of doing so, it's becoming obvious.   Blaming our mediocrity on the players is a BS copout, but it's what you'll get from the USMNT media voices and supporters.

My concern all along was bringing an MLS coach in to coach world class talent...well documented in this thread. 

Eearnie didn't hire him and has real connections, time to use them.  Get rid of GGG and get a real coach.

https://twitter.com/airborne69/status/1435399365359808515?s=21

If Weston is covering for others, I don’t know where that leaves this program under this coach.  
it is basically our worst fears come true and a fairly decent example of why national teams are not this young.  There are no leaders on the team and the younger players simply are not mature enough to take on the role.  

If there were more players who broke protocol, that really is a shame and likely will be a factor on whether GGG has enough respect from the players to retain his job.

I am hoping Pulisic was misquoted because Turner's response makes a hell of a lot more sense than what Pulisic said.  I do not understand why he would have lied in his answer.

it is basically our worst fears come true and a fairly decent example of why national teams are not this young.  There are no leaders on the team and the younger players simply are not mature enough to take on the role.  

This is on the coach IMHO.

Time to get a new one.

I don't know what other peoples definition of world class is, but we don't have any world class players on the team the way I define it (top ten at your position).  Pulisic is the only one who would be close but he is never healthy or consistent for a long enough period to be considered world class.

I am not sure we have a single player who would crack a top 100 players in the world list right now.   We have some very interesting prospects but equating this young, inexperienced team with world class talent is very misguided imo.

If there were more players who broke protocol, that really is a shame and likely will be a factor on whether GGG has enough respect from the players to retain his job.

I am hoping Pulisic was misquoted because Turner's response makes a hell of a lot more sense than what Pulisic said.  I do not understand why he would have lied in his answer.
I mean the easy answer on why he lied is that he’s one of ones being covered for (those two seem the most chummy out of any of the 26 to begin with).  

and to tie all the Twitter innuendo together in one bow…wouldn’t it make a lot of sense if they (and some other players) were breaking protocol together with CPs sister and some of her friends?

I mean the easy answer on why he lied is that he’s one of ones being covered for (those two seem the most chummy out of any of the 26 to begin with).  
Wow, I never pictured Pulisic as the partying type. 

In fact if I remember right, his teammates usually make fun of him for never leaving his flat and only playing video games.  He must hide it very well if what you say is true.

Wow, I never pictured Pulisic as the partying type. 

In fact if I remember right, his teammates usually make fun of him for never leaving his flat and only playing video games.  He must hide it very well if what you say is true.
I mean there’s breaking protocol and then there’s breaking protocol.  It certainly seems like USSF/others saw CPs sister around…it’s certainly possible breaking protocol was simply going out to dinner or hanging out in her room.  

GGG obviously doesn't have the respect of his team and/or is incapable of controlling them.

That's a big problem...on top of his tactical issues and player selection issues.

I guess there is a narrative that these are a bunch of unruly young entitled ####heads, but these guys are professionals despite their age...it's not like Pulisic has protocol issues with chelsea.   

GGG obviously doesn't have the respect of his team and/or is incapable of controlling them.

That's a big problem.
Now this is a very fair observation I think.  

My only concern is I am unsure who is available that is suddenly going to command respect.   Almost any coach who could do that is employed right now.

I mean there’s breaking protocol and then there’s breaking protocol.  It certainly seems like USSF/others saw CPs sister around…it’s certainly possible breaking protocol was simply going out to dinner or hanging out in her room.  
I missed it earlier but Sciaretta said one of the two protocols Weston broke was considered ultra serious by the team, the other was not. 

I don't know which one was which but I am assuming leaving the hotel and spending the night with who knows how many people was considered worse than banging the groupie in the hotel, but that is just a guess.

I missed it earlier but Sciaretta said one of the two protocols Weston did was considered ultra serious by the team, the other was not. 

I don't know which one was which but I am assuming leaving the hotel and spending the night with who knows how many people was considered worse than banging the groupie in the hotel, but that is just a guess.
Again we’re assuming “groupie”…it may be something like CPs sister’s friends (or someone else family/friends). That doesn’t make the breaking protocol part any better, but I’m just sort of wondering if there was a Euro clique that was hanging out and things just progressed.  USSF was watching McKennie for past indiscretions and blew it out of the water.  

I mean everyone is taking Donovan at his word that this was beyond pale (or however he characterized it), but it’s also possible USSF (cough, GGG, cough) blew the underlying social dynamics totally out of the water. 

Or maybe half the team was out partying on Broadway.  

point being, I’m not buying what the USSF is feeding the press.  

point being, I’m not buying what the USSF is feeding the press.  

this is my point...it's not passing the sniff test, hasn't from the beginning.  Was not surprised at all by Weston's dad's Tweet.

This feels like USSF trying to cover up for their bull#### performance...passing the buck to the players after nearly a decade of incompetence.

Users who are viewing this thread