What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (19 Viewers)

. I know that "draws on the road" are a good path to qualification, but they weren't set up to draw. They were set up to lose
They were set up not to win, not to lose. And that's a difference.

That group was more than capable of grinding out an ugly 0-0 draw. And again, outside of a stupidly defended set piece, they almost did. But yeah, they were never going to win that game with that lineup.

Not saying I like it- I don't. But I get it. 

I'll just say that making coaching decisions on results instead of process is a path that leads to suboptimal results and that the way Gregg runs the 4-3-3 is nothing like how the Liverpool's of the world run it.  

I'll just say that making coaching decisions on results instead of process is a path that leads to suboptimal results and that the way Gregg runs the 4-3-3 is nothing like how the Liverpool's of the world run it.  
His 4-3-3 with one group of US players is nothing like it is with another group of US players. 

Maintstream media taking note of GGG's MLS player usage...and how it has drawn the ire of the fanbase.  "The Herd" mentioned it this week.

I was lambasted in here for mentioning "MLS" ...ahead of my time I suppose.

Maintstream media taking note of GGG's MLS player usage...and how it has drawn the ire of the fanbase.  "The Herd" mentioned it this week.

Are you ever going to give it up? You're just constantly dragging this thread down with an anchor.  

If you just want to puff out your chest about always being right and complain about stuff with the team, why don't you just take it elsewhere? 

OMG YOU"RE THE MOST AMAZING GUY HERE!!!! CONGRADS!

I think Junior Soprano best describes our resident troll.

"Some people are so far behind in a race that they actually believe they’re leading.”

This is a good piece from ESPN's Connelly with a deep dive into what worked and what didn't so far in qualifying with lots of stats.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4497275/usmnts-world-cup-qualifying-whats-workingwhats-broken-and-the-problem-with-playing-it-safe

I guess I have a problem with this premise right off the bat, "But despite a couple of particularly disappointing performances, they haven't been incredibly far off of the standard most set for them on average."

The standard that just qualifying seems to be good enough.  This is a better talent pool, what your grandfather's USMNT did 20 years ago is no longer good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG YOU"RE THE MOST AMAZING GUY HERE!!!! CONGRADS!
obviously not my point.

My point is that I bring up criticisms that are not "well received" here to put it mildly, but are commonplace outside of this thread.

Seems a tad unfair.  Hypersensitive to criticisms I raise in particular.

Found a graphic that says the US had 8 players - I haven’t seen the list but I’ll take a guess:

CP, Gio, Snacks, Steffen, Richards, Adams, Dest and Jedi.
I saw the MLS graphic that Miles, Turner, Clark, Sands and Pepi were on the list, but I don't know who else from abroad.

I saw the MLS graphic that Miles, Turner, Clark, Sands and Pepi were on the list, but I don't know who else from abroad.
Something doesn’t seem right then.  I saw something that said the US had 8 players so either that was wrong or the list is garbage.  8 sounded low so I’m thinking that was wrong 

obviously not my point.

My point is that I bring up criticisms that are not "well received" here to put it mildly, but are commonplace outside of this thread.

Seems a tad unfair.  Hypersensitive to criticisms I raise in particular.
a bit unfair, maybe. at this point yes- I'm hypersensitive to the method in which you post. 

I'm at a point where your comments aren't well received (by me, at least- I won't speak for the others) because they lack critical thought or substantiation. they're not criticism- they're juvenile hyperbole. if you were able to say "X sucks because A, B, C"... great; that's critical thought and worthwhile criticism. we can agree, disagree, whatever- more importantly it creates discussion in this amazing little place filled with amazing people. and ned. but that's not what you  do. your repeated "X sucks" without support... sucks. especially going double and triple down on it ad nauseum. it drains this place for me. And it's an absolute button pusher for me when I know it to be categorically false- like saying the sky is green and holding firm. That's the stuff that genuinely makes my blood boil and brings out the all-caps smartass crap posts like above. And I'm not sure why the hyperbole has to be so polarizing black and white with you... none of us, feel black when you say white, but that seems to be a narrative that you repeat.

we're all USMNT fans in here and we certainly don't all have to see eye to eye. This is the only sports team I genuinely care about, in a sport I genuinely know a lot about. I know what I know based on a long time with the sport, but I don't have to be right- I don't care about being right. I'm learning from these guys in here all the time, even guys who are self-proclaimed newbies to the sport- because they think first, and then write their down thoughts. and again- that's what criticism is- if you're going to say something goofy, at least have the sense to back it up. 

a bit unfair, maybe. at this point yes- I'm hypersensitive to the method in which you post. 

I'm at a point where your comments aren't well received (by me, at least- I won't speak for the others) because they lack critical thought or substantiation. they're not criticism- they're juvenile hyperbole. if you were able to say "X sucks because A, B, C"... great; that's critical thought and worthwhile criticism. we can agree, disagree, whatever- more importantly it creates discussion in this amazing little place filled with amazing people. and ned. but that's not what you  do. your repeated "X sucks" without support... sucks. especially going double and triple down on it ad nauseum. it drains this place for me. And it's an absolute button pusher for me when I know it to be categorically false- like saying the sky is green and holding firm. That's the stuff that genuinely makes my blood boil and brings out the all-caps smartass crap posts like above. And I'm not sure why the hyperbole has to be so polarizing black and white with you... none of us, feel black when you say white, but that seems to be a narrative that you repeat.

we're all USMNT fans in here and we certainly don't all have to see eye to eye. This is the only sports team I genuinely care about, in a sport I genuinely know a lot about. I know what I know based on a long time with the sport, but I don't have to be right- I don't care about being right. I'm learning from these guys in here all the time, even guys who are self-proclaimed newbies to the sport- because they think first, and then write their down thoughts. and again- that's what criticism is- if you're going to say something goofy, at least have the sense to back it up. 
All of this.

And, not surprisingly, this exact thing was explained to you a few days ago when you did the same thing. By a few people. 

It's all in this page and more for you if you need

It went in one ear and right out the other and you once again posted that it's about being sensitive to your style or the criticisms you make. 

It's as if you are intentionally trying to miss the point and paint yourself as the victim here.  So either you aren't smart enough to understand what's being said by a few here or you're purposefully trying to be inflammatory.

I've never done it. But the way it's going...I might. I try to always give people the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not helping matters by getting sucked into it. And I admit my constant baiting isn't helping the thread. And while I like busting people's chops- I don't like doing it anything but a friendly way and Im not liking the level of snark I'm descending to.

Ill try to just actively ignore the way I did with Lhucks and with GG. And I'll try to be better about how I engage. It's ####### exhausting 

Adams did not dress today for RBL.

Jedi subbed in at the 58th minute today.  They are up 3-1 late right now, which keeps them near the top of the table. Ream started at has gone the whole way.

I assume this doesn't happen with Tata :)

========

Charlie O'Connor-Clarke

@charliejclarke

#CanMNT coach Herdman says he just got off the phone from a long conversation with USMNT's Gregg Berhalter, just chatting and comparing notes

USMNT top 25 player rankings

Not much to quibble with there. Miles swaps with Zimm. Move Pepi somewhere right behind him in a group with Musah and just above Weah.  Otherwise, looks pretty solid.

ETA -- I would move Richards up a good bit as well as Busio, but at the same time, that's just a preference and nothing wrong with where those guys are.

On that list, I would love to see Morris be able to contribute soon and see where he is.

USMNT top 25 player rankings

Not much to quibble with there. Miles swaps with Zimm. Move Pepi somewhere right behind him in a group with Musah and just above Weah.  Otherwise, looks pretty solid.

ETA -- I would move Richards up a good bit as well as Busio, but at the same time, that's just a preference and nothing wrong with where those guys are.

On that list, I would love to see Morris be able to contribute soon and see where he is.
Yeah...I could move guys up and down (Musah, Miles, Pepi and Richards up), but generally that's the group.

Morris is the big uncertainty to me. So many leg injuries to a guy that genuinely relies on his pace and isn't young any more. I didn't see a lot of his Sounders play, so not sure how well he does with combinations...something that is needed with this A group. I think of him as more of a slasher, direct go at goal type of guy and not a work the triangles type (which is fine as needed)

Yes. He's been very lively up front with Pukki from what I've seen, but has to score on a great chance just before half.  Open net, was way too soft. 
I think he's looked really good at Norwich. Games I've seen he's listed as a wing if he's not subbing in for Pukki, but it looks to me like he clearly does better in partnership with another forward than being a lone 9 or a true wing.

But that final touch has to be lethal- especially for team like Norwich that isn't going to be creating a ton of high quality chances (or hasn't so far at least)

This poor guy has been live tweeting Sargent all game :lmao:

==========

Bob Morocco

@bob_morocco

Sargent played in and he takes a touch that forces himself to readjust and the defense recovers enough to kill the chance and I am not watching any more of this

Can you guys help me understand Miles?  I know he is far from perfect and still has some work to do on his short passing but he is well above average in many areas.

Why is it that we never hear even a single rumor about any Euro team scouting him or talking to Atlanta?  I know he is not a youngin but 24 really isn't too old for a CB where no team would be willing to take a shot.

This poor guy has been live tweeting Sargent all game :lmao:

==========

Bob Morocco

@bob_morocco

Sargent played in and he takes a touch that forces himself to readjust and the defense recovers enough to kill the chance and I am not watching any more of this
Espn showing Norwich formation as a 5-3-2, which I'm guessing wants to play as more of a 3-5-2 with the FBs getting further up the field.

Can you guys help me understand Miles?  I know he is far from perfect and still has some work to do on his short passing but he is well above average in many areas.

Why is it that we never hear even a single rumor about any Euro team scouting him or talking to Atlanta?  I know he is not a youngin but 24 really isn't too old for a CB where no team would be willing to take a shot.
Interesting...didn't know that.

I'd assume he's going to get a lot more attention due to his US play.

Aaronson is reportedly being scouted by AC Milan and RBL.

In prep for this, see the below.

=============

Manuel Veth

@ManuelVeth

Exclusive! #RBSalzburg are scouting D.C. United's Kevin Paredes as a potential Brenden Aaronson replacement.

Interesting...didn't know that.

I'd assume he's going to get a lot more attention due to his US play.
Me too.  We hear rumors for so many different players.  We even see players of less talent like Vines and Mueller make the move abroad but everything appears so quiet around Robinson.  Maybe Atlanta just runs a tight shop with out leaks but the leaks come as much from the potential buyers as it does the sellers.

TBH, he’s blossomed in the last year and there’s no doubt his run with the USMNT is the best I’ve ever seen him play.  I don’t know nearly enough about his potential and scouting to know why they wouldn’t be looking now but I think it’s fair to say that this isn’t the same Miles we saw regularly in the past - definitely moments but not this level of play and consistency. 

Honestly 25 or so is when most CBs make a big move. Now seems like exactly the time. The lack of rumors make little sense and transfermarket rates him at $4.4m. I can only think Atlanta is demanding a really high asking price

Users who are viewing this thread