What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

Wady is a good example of the difficult decisions US Youth players face.  Born / raised in San Jose, he probably could have gone to college somewhere on a scholarship and had a great 4 years, but instead he chose this:

Academy years

He has always played sports with his hands growing up and spent the past few years in goal at an amateur club in the USA, while he has also been called up to USA Under-17 training camps. He signed his scholarship deal in July 2018 and made his debut in the Under-18 Premier League Cup away at Manchester United in December 2018.

After three outings for the Under-18s during the 2019/20 season, the keeper signed his first professional contract with Chelsea in the summer of that year which runs until 2021.

The following season saw Wady made seven appearances across Academy competitions with the majority coming for the development squad. He kept two clean sheets and made two penalty saves.

Loan experience

Wady spent time on loan at Tooting & Mitcham United in the second half of the 2018/19 season, featuring nine times for the Isthmian League side.

In September 2020, he made a loan move to National League South side Dartford in September 2020. He returned to Chelsea in January 2021.

Who willfully chooses Tooting and Mitcham over the good life on a Cali beach?  Ethan Wady apparently does.

Wady is a good example of the difficult decisions US Youth players face.  Born / raised in San Jose, he probably could have gone to college somewhere on a scholarship and had a great 4 years, but instead he chose this:
I am not sure it was a choice per say.  His whole family moved to England when he was in High School.  I don't think the move was because of soccer.

Absolute Chelsea

@AbsoluteChelsea

Barcelona would be prepared to send Sergino Dest on an initial loan with a view to a permanent move amid interest from #Chelsea

This is James's brother

========

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Still awaiting Crew's formal acquisition of Georgetown's Will Sands via trade with NYCFC, which owns his MLS homegrown rights

Even as a huge US fan, there is no way I would have guessed this last summer

=========

Mezzala Football

@MezzalaFtbl

Most amount of minutes played by teenagers in Europe's 'Top 5' leagues so far this season:

1,747 - Valentino Livramento (19)

1,566 - Joe Scally (19)

1,529 - Gianluca Busio (19)

1,526 - Aaron Hickey (19)

1,497 - Josko Gvardiol (19)

All from a tackle that should have seen the guy arrested, much less red carded

================

Stu Holden

@stuholden

Well… 11 years, 6 surgeries, and endless pain brought me to a knee replacement at 36yrs young . Looking forward to finally (hopefully) being pain free for the next 1,000 years. Should be good for a comeback! Who’s signing me??

He has the same agent as Pepi

================

Chicago Fire goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina is the subject of serious interest from Europe, sources have told 90min.

The 17-year-old enjoyed a remarkable rise at the end of the 2021 MLS season, starting the Fire's final 11 games ahead of established No.1 Bobby Shuttleworth.

During that time, Slonina kept four clean sheets and averaged 3.91 saves per 90 minutes, some of which were truly outstanding. Despite his tender age, Slonina appears mature beyond his years, especially given how he's handled the pressures of his position.

Slonina has since been rewarded with a couple of call-ups to the United States Men's National Team. Though he's yet to play for Gregg Berhalter's side and remains eligible for Poland, he does have nine caps to his name across various youth levels.

His excellent performances in MLS haven't gone unnoticed across the Atlantic either. Sources have revealed to 90min that clubs from Serie A and the German Bundesliga are preparing bids for Slonina, while La Liga champions Atletico Madrid have already met with the player's representatives.

Sounds like Davies may miss this round of qualifiers. Here's hoping to a speedy recovery.

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

NEW: Alphonso Davies will miss Bayern’s game in Köln & will be out for a spell after that, per Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann. “A slight myocarditis” has been detected in the examination following the Canadian international‘s Covid-19 infection. Nagelsmann’s quotes below.

https://twitter.com/RaeComm/status/1481957050607357956

Chris Smith

@CJSmith91

#Rapids96 & #USMNT midfielder Cole Bassett is nearing a move to Feyenoord, sources have confirmed to @90min_Football.  Likely to be completed next week, initial loan with purchase option

Sounds like Davies may miss this round of qualifiers. Here's hoping to a speedy recovery.

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

NEW: Alphonso Davies will miss Bayern’s game in Köln & will be out for a spell after that, per Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann. “A slight myocarditis” has been detected in the examination following the Canadian international‘s Covid-19 infection. Nagelsmann’s quotes below.

https://twitter.com/RaeComm/status/1481957050607357956
Awful news for Canada and for Davies.   These heart issues always scare me as a fan.

Chris Smith

@CJSmith91

#Rapids96 & #USMNT midfielder Cole Bassett is nearing a move to Feyenoord, sources have confirmed to @90min_Football.  Likely to be completed next week, initial loan with purchase option
Busy day for Colorado

====

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

BREAKING: LAFC and the Colorado Rapids have reached an agreement for USMNT midfielder Kellyn Acosta for up to $1.5m GAM, sources tell MLSsoccer. Deal is $1.1m up front + $400k incentives. Rapids retain a sell-on percentage

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, definitely scary stuff for Davies.  Doesn't hurt the US, but that sucks
The more I read, the more it looks like they are trying to emphasize that it is minor but they want to be as cautious as possible.   Either way though, I bet they are going to strongly argue that he not go to the qualifiers for Canada.

Yeah, definitely scary stuff for Davies.  Doesn't hurt the US, but that sucks
I think Canada has shown strong enough to compete without him...but don't we want them to do well here (besides against the US)? They have HON, US, ElSal away, home, away....don't we want them to knock those other teams out?

I think Canada has shown strong enough to compete without him...but don't we want them to do well here (besides against the US)? They have HON, US, ElSal away, home, away....don't we want them to knock those other teams out?

meh. Honduras and El Salvador are really far back. Assuming we beat both of them in our games, they're dead anyway.

I'd rather have a theoretically easier game against Canada (with the obvious caveat that I hate to see Davies having these problems)

meh. Honduras and El Salvador are really far back. Assuming we beat both of them in our games, they're dead anyway.

I'd rather have a theoretically easier game against Canada (with the obvious caveat that I hate to see Davies having these problems)
sure. but things can change on a dime/window... and I make no assumptions with this team. I want Can to bury those guys- and they honestly should be good enough without Davies (David is still tearing it up in France) and seem to be heading into the window with everybody healthy outside of him.

tbh, it's the other groups of games- particularly with Panama- that are more important outside of the US securing max points.

Canada does not need to win those games.  Even draws will kill the hopes of Honduras and ELS. 

I have gone through the schedule a bunch of times.  The only feasible way to avoid needing any points in CR on the last day will be to get a win at either Canada or Mexico and then sweep at home.  Canada certainly seems like an easier ask but I don't think any team has had a 9 point window yet.

Panama's late come back against Honduras is just so massive.

If the US beats ELS, Honduras and Panama at home they're in IMO. 

I'd probably want at least one point from @Canada, @Mexico, @CR to make me feel better, but I bet 24 is good enough for 3rd as long as they take all 3 from Panama.

If the US beats ELS, Honduras and Panama at home they're in IMO. 

I'd probably want at least one point from @Canada, @Mexico, @CR to make me feel better, but I bet 23 is good enough for 3rd as long as they take all 3 from Panama.
The GD over Panama is effectively another point in the standings too which is very helpful.

If we sweep at home we will have 24 points.

While the type of ailment sucks for Davies, I am not going to feel bad about Canada missing a great player given how many lost games we have had this cycle amongst many of our best players.

ooooh, drama  :popcorn:

=====================

Kellyn Acosta

@KellynAcosta

This narrative is sad. CO pushed me out. They had an offer for me on the table from abroad and ongoing interests and opted to trade me…

Nips in Mexico seems like an odd fit

============

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Update on D.C. United and USMNT winger Paul Arriola: I'm told Liga MX's Club America have made multiple bids, while LA Galaxy and other MLS clubs have been in contact with D.C. United. Arriola, 26, has 89 apps with D.C., where he's a DP and 42 caps with the US national team.

Nips in Mexico seems like an odd fit

============

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Update on D.C. United and USMNT winger Paul Arriola: I'm told Liga MX's Club America have made multiple bids, while LA Galaxy and other MLS clubs have been in contact with D.C. United. Arriola, 26, has 89 apps with D.C., where he's a DP and 42 caps with the US national team.

He was in Mexico for years after leaving the Galaxy academy.  

Users who are viewing this thread