What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

Aidan Morris (US U20 player) has looked very solid in place of Nagbe tonight for Columbus.  They put up a stat that he is the youngest player to ever start in a MLS Cup Final.

Good Lord.

You brought him up, and I did just talk about him...but yeah- zidanesque, the whole thing.
I brought him up...I want the credit dammit! (and I was only half serious).

But dear god that first touch, body control, and speed of thought at speed.  There was some thought that Haaland was basically making him look good and he's even silencing those thoughts.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
Pulisic's first full season was in 2016/2017.  Pulisic broke in the winter before.

This tracks very similar to Gio age wise, who broke in last winter and is now in the middle of his first season.

Gio is tracking to have more assists and goals than Pulisic did in that first season.  And even better, that first full season for Pulisic was his most productive (goals and assists) of his career, all the way up until last year with Chelsea.

NewlyRetired said:
Favre has to be close to losing his job at Dortmund.  Down 5-1 now at home, they will drop to 5th in the league and have only won once in their last 5 games.

Meanwhile the newly promoted Stuggart move into a surprising 6th.
And he is out.

NewlyRetired said:
Favre has to be close to losing his job at Dortmund.  Down 5-1 now at home, they will drop to 5th in the league and have only won once in their last 5 games.

Meanwhile the newly promoted Stuggart move into a surprising 6th.
And he is out.
With the way he's playing, hard to imagine this should affect Gio too much...but otoh, he's a part of a team that's underperforming, so who knows.

With the way he's playing, hard to imagine this should affect Gio too much...but otoh, he's a part of a team that's underperforming, so who knows.
You have to figure Marsch is going to be pretty high on the list of candidates to take over.

The biggest problem Favre had is that he used too much squad rotation offensively.  No one ever got into the flow.  So the main risk for Gio I see is if the new coach sticks with a starting lineup and Gio becomes more of a sub.

He should get minutes though even in that scenario.

Looks like it will be a caretaker until end of season, Edin Terzic who is an assistant coach.

This comment from Conte could fit the Dortmund situation

=======

Antonio Conte: "Some players can leave the team this winter, to find more game time. We may become less deep, but more functional"

You have to figure Marsch is going to be pretty high on the list of candidates to take over.

The biggest problem Favre had is that he used too much squad rotation offensively.  No one ever got into the flow.  So the main risk for Gio I see is if the new coach sticks with a starting lineup and Gio becomes more of a sub.

He should get minutes though even in that scenario.

Looks like it will be a caretaker until end of season, Edin Terzic who is an assistant coach.
Bild is reporting, unsurprisingly, that Marsch is in the top 3 candidates for the job next season. 

OneGoal

@OneGoalUS

Malick Sanogo (16) confirmed today that US soccer has been in contact with him. Sanogo is regarded as one of the most talented youth strikers in Germany & is already on the radar of Union Berlin’s first team. USMNT dual national recruiting has been on point - this one is big

Pretty good first half for Weston today.    Juventus were camped in Genoa's end all half so Weston had little to do defensively but was involved in many chances on goal including a couple of shots himself that were close.

Still 0-0 so I would not be shocked if Weston gets subbed in second half if they can't crack the parked bus.

I am unsure what happened completely but Weston made a nice play at top of box to shield the ball, got hacked but advantage was played.  Ball slides out to Cuadrado who draws a PK that Ronaldo scores on but Weston some how also picked up a yellow on the play.

2-1 Juve right now.

Another really good game for Weston.  He goes the full 90 and was involved every where.  Both British announcers were singing his praise most of the game.

He is really taking advantage of this playing time.  There is little more we can ask of him.  It has to lead to many more minutes.

Dest starting again for Barca, Konrad on bench today.
Dest went the full 90 again in the 1-0 win.  Sounds like Konrad almost got his La Liga debut...

MLS Buzz

@MLS_Buzz

According to the broadcast, Konrad was getting set to come on, but after Messi scored, Koeman told him to go back to the bench.

Fulham/Liverpool

Of their players, Ademola Lookman was man of the match for me. He and Andre-Frank Anguissa continue to show that they are both just excellent footballers and USA’s left wing-back Antonee Robinson was also really impressive today, both in linking up with Lookman on the left and in defence throughout the second half. The quality of Bobby De Cordova-Reid’s goal was the cherry on top.

Fulham/Liverpool

Of their players, Ademola Lookman was man of the match for me. He and Andre-Frank Anguissa continue to show that they are both just excellent footballers and USA’s left wing-back Antonee Robinson was also really impressive today, both in linking up with Lookman on the left and in defence throughout the second half. The quality of Bobby De Cordova-Reid’s goal was the cherry on top.
https://twitter.com/FulhamFC/status/1338241375897317381?s=20

bigger news is Musah posted it.
he really seems to be getting along with all the other young players.  bringing him into a camp loaded with players U21 was really perfect in terms of helping him feel a part of the group.

I hope we don't have to wait until this summer before he declares but he has no reason to declare early since he does not need a one time switch(I think) and can take as much time as needed.

Watching the MLS playoffs I was impressed with how much Jordan Morris has improved.  
We talk about all the young guys moving overseas but I have to believe Jordan could help a bottom half EPL or Bundesliga team. 
Has anyone heard any rumors about him moving in January? 

he really seems to be getting along with all the other young players.  bringing him into a camp loaded with players U21 was really perfect in terms of helping him feel a part of the group.

I hope we don't have to wait until this summer before he declares but he has no reason to declare early since he does not need a one time switch(I think) and can take as much time as needed.
I thought I saw somewhere (here, likely) that he plans on announcing his decision by March.

Watching the MLS playoffs I was impressed with how much Jordan Morris has improved.  
We talk about all the young guys moving overseas but I have to believe Jordan could help a bottom half EPL or Bundesliga team. 
Has anyone heard any rumors about him moving in January? 
the only rumor was not about any team specifically but that just Morris himself said he would be willing to explore a move this winter.

His age is working against him though.   It may be difficult for Seattle to sell him for decent value (given how much he means to the team) at 26 years old.  I think Euro teams are going to be more willing to pay 5-8 million for a 21 year old than a 26 year old.  Morris may have the same issue as Long who possibly saw his window close to Europe because no fee could be agreed upon.

I agree that he looks like he could function pretty well at a mid to lower table club in one of the big 5 leagues.

Sargent, Morris or Weah -- who starts today in a must win?

Pulisic -- Reyna -- Morris

Pulisic -- Sargent -- Reyna

Pulisic -- Reyna -- Weah

Sargent, Morris or Weah -- who starts today in a must win?

Pulisic -- Reyna -- Morris

Pulisic -- Sargent -- Reyna

Pulisic -- Reyna -- Weah
Pulisic - Sargent - Reyna   with Morris first off bench offensively

I will also add that Sargent is far from a lock at striker.   There are a ton of similar quality US strikers right now.  The only way Sargent can separate himself is via goals.  He does everything else well.

I will acknowledge that Sargent will likely have a much better chance to score at the international level than at Bremen since players like Dest, Reyna, and Pulisic are going to be turning teams inside out with their ball skills, especially in Concacaf.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Pulisic - Sargent - Reyna   with Morris first off bench offensively

I will also add that Sargent is far from a lock at striker.   There are a ton of similar quality US strikers right now.  The only way Sargent can separate himself is via goals.  He does everything else well.

I will acknowledge that Sargent will likely have a much better chance to score at the international level than at Bremen since players like Dest, Reyna, and Pulisic are going to be turning teams inside out with their ball skills, especially in Concacaf.
Pulisic - Reyna - Morris - Sargent IMO

Coaches in 1978...

- 2 defenders won't have a problem handling those 5 forwards.
Going off-topic but France Football released their all-time best XI today. 

cR7.                   Ronaldo.            Messi

Maradona.   Matheus.    Xavi.    Pele

Maldini.  Beckenbauer.    Cafu

Yashin

Xavi was named, hilariously, the best defensive midfielder of all time. 

Users who are viewing this thread