What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (16 Viewers)

Liverpool needs a defender for the rest of the season for sure.  Their two top CBs(VVD, Gomez) are out for the year and Matip and Fabinho, who have been filling in at CB are both currently injured.

Long, if they think he could do the job, would be perfect as NY likely only wants to loan him out and not sell him and Liverpool would like to make a run at a premier defender(like Upamecano) this summer.

I still won't believe it until I see it, but it would be all kinds of awesome, both for Long as a player and for us as USMNT fans.

@BrianSciaretta

Berhalter says Julian Araujo and Jozy Altidore will not play tomorrow for the #USMNT

=====================================

Jozy is hurt (natch), Araujo is lacking fitness (he has been sick)

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking of Long

================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

Gregg Berhalter confirms that Miles Robinson will start with Aaron Long in the #USMNT central defense on Sunday, with a nod toward getting Robinson experience ahead of Olympic qualifying.

I watched the whole Juventus game today.

Weston did not stand out, but he certainly did not play bad.  he was solid defensively and was quiet offensively.   He made many runs into the box but the ball or cross was always just out of reach.

He went the full 90 again as Juve record when he starts continues to be excellent.

After a rough start, Juve have quietly climbed back into 3rd.

The next two Serie A games will shape the rest of the season for Juve against Roma and Napoli. Interspersed with those league games is a home and home semi final Coppa Italia tie against Inter.

Huge set of games in a short time period for Juve.  Should be plenty of minutes available for Weston.

103 touches as well. Super high utilization. 
Feels like CBs end up on the ball a ton in the modern build out of the back possession game. I don't know him at all other than clips played in here- but the clips all show some good skills on the ball an passing. Great to hear he's getting minutes so quickly.

@BrianSciaretta

Berhalter says Julian Araujo and Jozy Altidore will not play tomorrow for the #USMNT

Jody hurt both hamstrings watching sarge vs hoppe this am.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
Sargent better never leave Werder.  I don't think he is ever going to find water quite this nice to swim in ever again

======================================

Larry Henry Jr

@lhenry019

Florian Kohfeldt on Josh Sargent: "If he stays like this, he is very, very calm in the locker room and he is focused, and on the pitch he's full of energy. He will one day be one of the league's top strikers, I'm completely sure."

Sargent better never leave Werder.  I don't think he is ever going to find water quite this nice to swim in ever again

======================================

Larry Henry Jr

@lhenry019

Florian Kohfeldt on Josh Sargent: "If he stays like this, he is very, very calm in the locker room and he is focused, and on the pitch he's full of energy. He will one day be one of the league's top strikers, I'm completely sure."
(Parentheses) other than the scoring goals thing (/parentheses)

@BrianSciaretta

Wrinkle from GGGGg is that jozy is looking at a transfer...

Berhalter, addressing reporters via a Zoom call ahead of the match, said that Altidore was training hard and well, but sustained an injury two weeks ago, one that was a "very, very minor strain" that didn't show up in scans.

"From there on in he just worked his way back and he was also in full training today," said Berhalter about Altidore. "But with the transfer window looming, and the game being tomorrow, it's a chance we didn't want to take with Jozy, so he will not be participating."

The U.S. manager added that "a number of clubs" have expressed interest in Altidore. Sources confirmed the possibility he could be on the move, and emphasized the fact that the player's relationship with TFC -- and GM Ali Curtis in particular -- had reached a breaking point, and that he no longer wants to play in Toronto.

Sources told ESPN that a considerable sticking point is the years and money remaining on Altidore's contract. Altidore signed a three-year extension in 2019 that runs through 2022. A source said the deal has a no-trade clause. According to the MLS Players' Association, Altidore's 2019 salary, the most recent year for which data is available, paid him $6.33 million in guaranteed compensation. One source told ESPN that an unspecified club in Liga MX had expressed interest.

(Parentheses) other than the scoring goals thing (/parentheses)
What I meant was that he is never going to feel this loved anywhere else given how few goals he scores.

It is going to be a much colder reception anywhere else I fear if he does not figure out how to be an 8-12 goal a year scorer.

Wrinkle from GGGGg is that jozy is looking at a transfer...

Berhalter, addressing reporters via a Zoom call ahead of the match, said that Altidore was training hard and well, but sustained an injury two weeks ago, one that was a "very, very minor strain" that didn't show up in scans.

"From there on in he just worked his way back and he was also in full training today," said Berhalter about Altidore. "But with the transfer window looming, and the game being tomorrow, it's a chance we didn't want to take with Jozy, so he will not be participating."

The U.S. manager added that "a number of clubs" have expressed interest in Altidore. Sources confirmed the possibility he could be on the move, and emphasized the fact that the player's relationship with TFC -- and GM Ali Curtis in particular -- had reached a breaking point, and that he no longer wants to play in Toronto.

Sources told ESPN that a considerable sticking point is the years and money remaining on Altidore's contract. Altidore signed a three-year extension in 2019 that runs through 2022. A source said the deal has a no-trade clause. According to the MLS Players' Association, Altidore's 2019 salary, the most recent year for which data is available, paid him $6.33 million in guaranteed compensation. One source told ESPN that an unspecified club in Liga MX had expressed interest.
He posted the strange tweet after this news above dropped today

Jozy Altidore

@JozyAltidore

Don’t believe everything you read. The devil is working overtime

This could mean many different things but it is interesting to speculate

=======

From ESPN

An offer from an English Championship club to take United States defender Aaron Long on loan has been turned down by the New York Red Bulls, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.

The offer involved taking on all of Long's salary and included an option to buy in the US$2-3 million range.

CP again starts on the bench.

Tuchels previous comments about knowing his qualities coming off the bench...I read two ways-

1- he's a bench guy who I know can give a spark with quality when he comes in.

2- I don't need to see him on the field yet because I know he deserves to be there, so want to kick the tires on these other guys first.

2 doesn't make a ton of sense if you're trying to find your best lineup. I'm fearful that tuchel was being literal and is going to use CP strictly off the bench.

Very good half from Pulisic today, coming on for Abraham at HT and playing in essentially a front line position.  He got an assist on Alonso’s fantastic goal and had a role in several good chances. The only criticism might be that he had 2-3 good chances and seemed to somewhat weakly put his shots directly at the keeper every time. 

Max Bielefeld @Sky_MaxB

Sky sources:

@USMNT player Chris Richards from @FCBayern will go on loan to @tsghoffenheim. Last details still to be negotiated between the clubs. He didn’t participate in today’s training session and already said goodbye to some team mates #TransferUpdate

Very good half from Pulisic today, coming on for Abraham at HT and playing in essentially a front line position.  He got an assist on Alonso’s fantastic goal and had a role in several good chances. The only criticism might be that he had 2-3 good chances and seemed to somewhat weakly put his shots directly at the keeper every time. 
I missed the game today (went to bed at 5:30am and slept through it).

Did Abraham get hurt or was it a tactical sub at half time?

I missed the game today (went to bed at 5:30am and slept through it).

Did Abraham get hurt or was it a tactical sub at half time?
I watched the first half only- Tammy didn't look good. Wasn't winning or holding the ball up- basically second best to the ball all half and not tidy when he got there first. I don't think he was hurt.

Sam Stejskal

@samstejskal

Club source told me Friday that RBNY isn’t all that interested in loaning Long. They’ll of course listen to offers, but with Struber prepping for first season, Parker out the door, Reyes in, club sees missing Long for preseason and the first 1+ month of reg. season as difficult.

We will probably never know for certain.  Strangely, it doesn’t seem anyone asked Tuchel about it after the game, but it’s the question everyone wants answered.  

Here’s a good snapshot of the second half tactic up front. 

I have always thought Pulisic would function well in a traditional old fashioned 2 striker set up.  I will be interested to see if Tuchel stays with this formation.  It is a dying breed.

I have always thought Pulisic would function well in a traditional old fashioned 2 striker set up.  I will be interested to see if Tuchel stays with this formation.  It is a dying breed.
Most observers have always viewed Hudson-Odoi and earlier, Mason Mount, to be his main competition for minutes.  To see him out there with both those players, creating chances and playing well together, was interesting.  The problem is that his competition might now be Werner, Abraham and Giroud - for 2 spots - at least when Chelsea is in that 3-4-1-2 (sort of) look they used in the second half today.

Most observers have always viewed Hudson-Odoi and earlier, Mason Mount, to be his main competition for minutes.  To see him out there with both those players, creating chances and playing well together, was interesting.  The problem is that his competition might now be Werner, Abraham and Giroud - for 2 spots - at least when Chelsea is in that 3-4-1-2 (sort of) look they used in the second half today.
IMO, when you are at a club like Chelsea, there are always going to be strong competition for minutes.  And if a field player finds himself in the rare spot where he is the only choice, he can expect a huge in coming transfer.

Comes with the territory.  I have no issues if Pulisic becomes a first choice sub/occasional start type of player.  His play this season has not dictated that he deserves to start every game IMO.

I am unsure what to focus on tonight for the T&T game. 

Historically the US has put in some really low effort performances in these end of January camp games.  So I am hoping to see at least high energy, high pressing, creating chances type of game like we saw against Wales, Panama and ELS.  T&T should obviously be much closer in talent level to ELS and Panama than Wales so hopefully we can see some goals.

I would love to see Dike and Mueller start together as they have a good understanding at Orlando during club play.

Users who are viewing this thread