What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Refs emphasis on holding/pass interference effects on Fantasy Football (1 Viewer)

chad in Indy

Footballguy
If the regular season follows the preseason trend, it seems pretty clear the refs are going to be calling a lot more defensive holding/illegal contact calls this season. With that in mind, I wanted to see the SP's thoughts on how this will impact drafting and rankings for fantasy football. I think redzone WR's may be a good ROI. I would speculate offensive coordinators will take advantage of this rule and be willing to dial up a lot more passes/jump ball situations and even more so on passing in the redzone. Why wouldn't they take more shots knowing that DB's can no longer be as physical without drawing a 5yd (and more importantly a 1st down) penalty?

Which brings up the second point. For the RB position, if a higher percent of pass interference calls begin occurring in the endzone, it will translate to more 1st and goal from the 1 yard line. With this in mind, I will be keeping a much closer eye on how coaches change their personnel around the goalline. The trending argument for RB's has traditionally been that it's safer to rely on a RB who is consistent on yardage with TD's being unreliable. If the holding and pass interference calls continue into the regular season, short yardage TD's may be much more reliable than in the past.

Players ALREADY at risk to lose GL touches become even more of a risk when they lose touches between the 20's due to defensive penalties moving the chains. I will be more wary of the likes of Gio, Bush, Spiller, etc. performing up to their ADP.

Thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:
If the regular season follows the preseason trend, it seems pretty clear the refs are going to be calling a lot more defensive holding/illegal contact calls this season. With that in mind, I wanted to see the SP's thoughts on how this will impact drafting and rankings for fantasy football. I think redzone WR's may be a good ROI. I would speculate offensive coordinators will take advantage of this rule and be willing to dial up a lot more passes/jump ball situations and even more so on passing in the redzone. Why wouldn't they take more shots knowing that DB's can no longer be as physical without drawing a 5yd (and more importantly a 1st down) penalty?

Which brings up the second point. For the RB position, if a higher percent of pass interference calls begin occurring in the endzone, it will translate to more 1st and goal from the 1 yard line. With this in mind, I will be keeping a much closer eye on how coaches change their personnel around the goalline. The trending argument for RB's has traditionally been that it's safer to rely on a RB who is consistent on yardage with TD's being unreliable. If the holding and pass interference calls continue into the regular season, short yardage TD's may be much more reliable than in the past.

Players ALREADY at risk to lose GL touches become even more of a risk when they lose touches between the 20's due to defensive penalties moving the chains. I will be more wary of the likes of Gio, Bush, Spiller, etc. performing up to their ADP.

Thoughts??
interesting. I havent looked into it but what line is crossed when it turns into a pass interference? Will there be more holding penalties to prevent big passing plays?

Thoughts??
interesting. I havent looked into it but what line is crossed when it turns into a pass interference? Will there be more holding penalties to prevent big passing plays?
Defensive holding is called before the QB has thrown the ball. If the "foul" occurs when the ball is in the air, it is PI. Either way, if the refs hold true to what they are saying, it means the chains will move more often as a result of penalties, which cuts into production of yardage dependent players and gives more opportunity for TD dependent players as short yardage/goalline opportunities increase.

Some very ticky tack stuff called from what I have seen.

As if it wasn't already geared towards offense in the league anyway.

Most of the penalties I have seen are not very big so I would expect the teams to cut down on those a lot by the beginning of the season. However if the penalties keep happening during the season then I can see TD's being even more valuable for all positions. Lower throwing/rushing/receiving yards for everyone (in theory). I think this can be a good tie breaker if you're trying to decide between guys like Spiller/Morris where Morris is expected to get more short yardage carries.

We are probably reading too much into all the penalties in the PS but it's worth talking about.

Some very ticky tack stuff called from what I have seen.

As if it wasn't already geared towards offense in the league anyway.
In recent years, NFL defenders have been taught last-second arm-grabbing and hand-grabbing as "legitimate" pass-defense techniques. If the new rules emphasis forces defenders to actually play the ball, it will be a good thing. Speed, positioning, and footwork will become more prized skills than simply short-area hand-fighting.

Football is going to be unwatchable they keep screwing around. As it is just a hard, legal hit will draw a flag...

My point for this wasn't to complain about the refs but how people will adjust their drafts if these penalties continue. Even assuming defenses adjust it would still mean easier downfield passing and less dependence on the run.

Defenses usually adjust pretty quickly, once they figure out what they can and cannot get away with it.
Agreed

The NFL told the refs to call it real tight in the preseason to let the teams know what to expect when the real games begin. Defenses will adjust,there will be less penalties,but as has been the case with most rule changes in recent years the offenses will benefit. How much remains to be seen.

It seems like an added bonus for any receiver that can already gain separation-should be able to get even more.

Users who are viewing this thread