What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When do we go in and wipe out ISIS? (1 Viewer)

People think the problem with radical Islam is something that just popped up over night, that ISIS and Al-Qaeda exist on islands in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Sure ISIS came from radical factions of the Al-Qaeda in Iraq because of the war, but it is a butterfly effect of so many other things that have happened in the past 50 or 60 years. We could go back further, but it makes little difference for this conversation.

FIrst, Egypt. The rise of the Muslim Brotherhood there and the treatment of that revolution created powerful martyrs like Sayyid Qutb who espoused a lot of what ISIS has put in motion. Qutb was a scholar and a poet among other things, but he and those of his mindset (Ayman Al-Zawahiri among them) were rounded up, tortured, and many killed. Qutb's death was probably day one of the movement we are seeing take hold now, because Egypt mishandled the movement instead of giving them some political access in the country.

Secondly, the Afghanistan/Soviet conflict. While we fought a proxy war with the Soviet Union hoping to end them, we also freely allowed Saudi Arabia to drop thousands of madrases in the Pakistani countyside. It was those schools, not just the war itself, that led to a long line of radicalized Wahhabi extremists. We essentially played along while the Saudi's exported their radical form of Islam all over south and central Asia. Now the war was fought against a godless Soviet Union, but in the eyes of the wahhabi Muslim everyone is godless except the true believers (the wahhabis). So shi'a Muslims, Christians, atheists, Buddists and Canadians are all essentially godless people. Sunni Muslims who do not conform are also godless and are dealt with accordingly, but they are given a chance to conform. Well maybe not with ISIS who seems to even take the moderate Sunni sects women for rape and their men to a pit to be shot in.

But Saudi Arabia still is a bigger problem than the Asaad regime, Iran, or anything else in the Muslim world. While they crush any rebellions domestically, they turn a blind eye to radical thought directed outside its borders. When someone becomes too radical (Bin Laden), they expel them but at the same time make sure they have a soft landing elsewhere. Our relationship with the Saudi's has cooled under Obama and I think this started at the end of the GW administration, and it's the right thing to do. We are turning a blind eye to the Saudi's blind eye, and have been doing it for 40+ years.

Finally the wars in Afghanistan (both of them), in Bosnia, in Chechnya, in Iraq, and in Syria have created thousands of new fighters, many of them radicalized to the point of no return. I mean we have people in this country that would never change their thoughts on gun rights or abortion or whatever, they are dug in. These new fighters have been conformed, brain washed, and weaponized to inflict violence on the enemies of their movement. When they are done fighting, they go back home. Some to Saudi Arabia, some to Uzbekistan, but some to Paris, Brussels and Toronto.

Home grown terrorism with ISIS is a huge threat because Al-Qaeda was a compartmentalized and regional operation. Sure there were branches but those were symmetrical organizations with a chain of command, specific operational leaders, and mission plans. ISIS is a fly by the seat of your pants operation, all it takes is five former jihadis to wreck havoc on a city center.

It also creates a good deal of lone wolf radicals, which is the biggest threat to the U.S. domestically. Unlike in Europe where you may have hundreds or thousands of former fighters living domestically, in the U.S. that threat is muted. Al-Qaeda had to use foreigners to inflict maximum damage, ISIS can count on some crazy guy in Ohio to try and kill something for them. It's like they hold sway over many individual contractors, even if they don't realize it. That makes them scary, as scary as an external foreign born threat can be.

Ok I could talk more but I don't want to be Gekko.
This post didn't get enough love IMO.

Churchill had it right so many years ago "Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world."
if you want any level of peace in the world, eliminate Islam. Anything else is just a brief intervention into a conflict that will never end.

People think the problem with radical Islam is something that just popped up over night, that ISIS and Al-Qaeda exist on islands in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Sure ISIS came from radical factions of the Al-Qaeda in Iraq because of the war, but it is a butterfly effect of so many other things that have happened in the past 50 or 60 years. We could go back further, but it makes little difference for this conversation.

FIrst, Egypt. The rise of the Muslim Brotherhood there and the treatment of that revolution created powerful martyrs like Sayyid Qutb who espoused a lot of what ISIS has put in motion. Qutb was a scholar and a poet among other things, but he and those of his mindset (Ayman Al-Zawahiri among them) were rounded up, tortured, and many killed. Qutb's death was probably day one of the movement we are seeing take hold now, because Egypt mishandled the movement instead of giving them some political access in the country.

Secondly, the Afghanistan/Soviet conflict. While we fought a proxy war with the Soviet Union hoping to end them, we also freely allowed Saudi Arabia to drop thousands of madrases in the Pakistani countyside. It was those schools, not just the war itself, that led to a long line of radicalized Wahhabi extremists. We essentially played along while the Saudi's exported their radical form of Islam all over south and central Asia. Now the war was fought against a godless Soviet Union, but in the eyes of the wahhabi Muslim everyone is godless except the true believers (the wahhabis). So shi'a Muslims, Christians, atheists, Buddists and Canadians are all essentially godless people. Sunni Muslims who do not conform are also godless and are dealt with accordingly, but they are given a chance to conform. Well maybe not with ISIS who seems to even take the moderate Sunni sects women for rape and their men to a pit to be shot in.

But Saudi Arabia still is a bigger problem than the Asaad regime, Iran, or anything else in the Muslim world. While they crush any rebellions domestically, they turn a blind eye to radical thought directed outside its borders. When someone becomes too radical (Bin Laden), they expel them but at the same time make sure they have a soft landing elsewhere. Our relationship with the Saudi's has cooled under Obama and I think this started at the end of the GW administration, and it's the right thing to do. We are turning a blind eye to the Saudi's blind eye, and have been doing it for 40+ years.

Finally the wars in Afghanistan (both of them), in Bosnia, in Chechnya, in Iraq, and in Syria have created thousands of new fighters, many of them radicalized to the point of no return. I mean we have people in this country that would never change their thoughts on gun rights or abortion or whatever, they are dug in. These new fighters have been conformed, brain washed, and weaponized to inflict violence on the enemies of their movement. When they are done fighting, they go back home. Some to Saudi Arabia, some to Uzbekistan, but some to Paris, Brussels and Toronto.

Home grown terrorism with ISIS is a huge threat because Al-Qaeda was a compartmentalized and regional operation. Sure there were branches but those were symmetrical organizations with a chain of command, specific operational leaders, and mission plans. ISIS is a fly by the seat of your pants operation, all it takes is five former jihadis to wreck havoc on a city center.

It also creates a good deal of lone wolf radicals, which is the biggest threat to the U.S. domestically. Unlike in Europe where you may have hundreds or thousands of former fighters living domestically, in the U.S. that threat is muted. Al-Qaeda had to use foreigners to inflict maximum damage, ISIS can count on some crazy guy in Ohio to try and kill something for them. It's like they hold sway over many individual contractors, even if they don't realize it. That makes them scary, as scary as an external foreign born threat can be.

Ok I could talk more but I don't want to be Gekko.
This post didn't get enough love IMO.
It would be good if people read it and informed themselves, like an FAQ.

John McCain was on the circuit this morning along with Graham. McCain was adamant about ground troops no surprise but he did snicker at the 20 bombs France immediately took to the air and launched. I think we should supportive of anything France wants to do militarily. We should be giving them exact coordinates and let them blow everything they want up. United States certainly doesn't ask permission typically before they strike targets over seas.

I cringe thinking of sending more troops
I do too if we're talking about sending in the Army and Marines in force like we did in Afghanistan and Iraq. But this is a war that needs to be fought by the CIA and Special Forces. ID a target. Hit it and get out.

20 bombs on Raqqa? Pfft. How about 20,000 bombs.
That's exactly the way McCain sounded this morning. CNN had it on their website like France was unleashing hell.
we know Raqqa is the crown jewel of ISIS. its where they have the bride/slave auctions, all the serious jihadhis go there to get married, the bigwigs live there. so how hard is it to take a page out of WW2 and carpet bomb the #### out of it then bring in some regiments for mop up duty? Its just a matter of will.

True coalition this time. Everyone hates these MF'ers.
Saudi Arabia in?

didn't think so.
Sometimes I get the sense that elements in Saud are funding both sides of this. The government definitely wants ISIS dead, gone, destroyed, but there are conservative elements that love to see the Sunni fundamentalist surge. The money's coming from somewhere.
all the more reason to support fracking and massive investment in alternative energy solutions domestically. Either drive them out of business and/or eliminate the need for petroleum on the scale we currently need it, long term dissolving our dependency on Saudi oil is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
we know Raqqa is the crown jewel of ISIS. its where they have the bride/slave auctions, all the serious jihadhis go there to get married, the bigwigs live there. so how hard is it to take a page out of WW2 and carpet bomb the #### out of it then bring in some regiments for mop up duty? Its just a matter of will.
Wonder what the global headlines will be after we level a city of 200,000 people with the vast vast majority being innocents?

For the record, this is what Daesh wants... to lure us into a battle to trigger some end of times fantasy.

Churchill had it right so many years ago "Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world."

if you want any level of peace in the world, eliminate Islam. Anything else is just a brief intervention into a conflict that will never end.
ok then.

" post="18595779" timestamp="1447691179"]
Wonder what the global headlines will be after we level a city of 200,000 people with the vast vast majority being innocents?

For the record, this is what Daesh wants... to lure us into a battle to trigger some end of times fantasy.

Exactly. They would see an explosion in recruitment. Then when they set up shop in a new city do we raze that one too?

Bunch of iToughguys around here than think like 10 year olds.

20 bombs on Raqqa? Pfft. How about 20,000 bombs.
That's exactly the way McCain sounded this morning. CNN had it on their website like France was unleashing hell.
i do think at some point we either do need to be at war or not at war with these factions.'not at war meaning strategic drone strikes, targeted attacks, and heightened intelligence that focuses more on stopping attacks on home soil. At war we do exactly what you are talking about. Massive bombings that eradicate all life within the area collateral damage included.Tough to know which has a better long term success but strategic drone strikes seem to do as much damage in terms of PR as would a massive carpet bomb. If Raqqa truly is the headquarters for ISIS then maybe leveling the entire city is what is needed to be done. Truly sorry for innocent casualties, but at some point if we are going to say this is a war, then it needs to be a war.

My preference would be the former but necessity may just need to be the latter in this particular instance.

" post="18595779" timestamp="1447691179"]

Exactly. They would see an explosion in recruitment. Then when they set up shop in a new city do we raze that one too?

Bunch of iToughguys around here than think like 10 year olds.
i agree with you in principal, although if enough terrorists are in one location I think it should be examined. Not in an ignorant fashion that many here present but a thoughtful and measured analysis as to when that should be considered. Maybe the answer is never, and we just focus on stopping attacks domestically.I definitely would not want troops on the ground in any scenario.

Kind of agree with bags here. There is eventually a tipping point where it becomes sensible to absorb an unfortunate civilian casualty for the greater good. If there are 1,000 ISIS in one building with one innocent, don't we blow that building into the next century? What about 100 to 1? 50? I don't know where the line is, but if you can end the "war" and secure the safety of the entire western world, seems to me it's something that has to be evaluated. Although I'm not convinced you can't take the special forces from every coalition country, drop them in all around the outside of the city under cover of night, and move those forces in to clear the place out over the course of the following day.

I really try to be respectful of the office of the President but when the current one says that our current 'strategy' is working to degrade and destroy Daesh- it makes it very hard. There are a number of words that come to mind that would describe such a statement and none of them are respectful at all.

Kind of agree with bags here. There is eventually a tipping point where it becomes sensible to absorb an unfortunate civilian casualty for the greater good. If there are 1,000 ISIS in one building with one innocent, don't we blow that building into the next century? What about 100 to 1? 50? I don't know where the line is, but if you can end the "war" and secure the safety of the entire western world, seems to me it's something that has to be evaluated. Although I'm not convinced you can't take the special forces from every coalition country, drop them in all around the outside of the city under cover of night, and move those forces in to clear the place out over the course of the following day.
We've been doing that battlefield math for years. Before any bombs are dropped, there are hundreds of considerations we make. How many probable civilians/innocents? How many terrorists? What are the terrorists operational ranks? Is the facility used for command and control? Are their opportunities to eliminate threats without air strikes? Who/what sources are we using to confirm the presence of targets. Also our/Israeli SF<>everyone else's

Carpet bombing would only end their times. it's the correct move and screw the rest of the world. France is in. I'm sure the rest of Europe is as well. No one else matters anyway. #### em all if they can't take it. We can drop leaflets ahead of time warning the innocent to get out of dodge.

The link in quotes basically has ISIS claiming it could get a nuke from Pakistan within a year. Between that possibility, and the possibility that ISIS took chemical weapons from Assad's stockpiles, this could really be the tip of the iceberg with what ISIS could possibly cause. I'm not one of the alarmists calling for us to bomb the region to the stone age immediately, but just the possibility of what ISIS could potentially do leaves me with a cold feeling.

The link in quotes basically has ISIS claiming it could get a nuke from Pakistan within a year. Between that possibility, and the possibility that ISIS took chemical weapons from Assad's stockpiles, this could really be the tip of the iceberg with what ISIS could possibly cause. I'm not one of the alarmists calling for us to bomb the region to the stone age immediately, but just the possibility of what ISIS could potentially do leaves me with a cold feeling.
About 5 years ago, my dad said that in my lifetime I will see a nuke go off in a major city. I agreed. We will all see it within the next 50 years unless we totally destroy these people.

Carpet bombing would only end their times. it's the correct move and screw the rest of the world. France is in. I'm sure the rest of Europe is as well. No one else matters anyway. #### em all if they can't take it. We can drop leaflets ahead of time warning the innocent to get out of dodge.
Because nobody in ISIS can read, so they won't know to leave?

About 5 years ago, my dad said that in my lifetime I will see a nuke go off in a major city. I agreed. We will all see it within the next 50 years unless we totally destroy these people.
OMG

Because nobody in ISIS can read, so they won't know to leave?
That's their problem.

I hadn't even thought about the nuke possibility. The possibility of a vicious urban assault in Manhattan was enough for me to want to carpet bomb the whole region. But nukes? Jesus. Literally end of world scenario. We really need to wipe these guys out, like yesterday.

I hadn't even thought about the nuke possibility. The possibility of a vicious urban assault in Manhattan was enough for me to want to carpet bomb the whole region. But nukes? Jesus. Literally end of world scenario. We really need to wipe these guys out, like yesterday.
in thinking about what I posted earlier it made me think about the analysis to drop the h bomb in Hiroshima. In thinking about a worst case scenario attack on nyc if Isis ever got their hands on a dirty bomb and let it loose if that would ever trigger a response similar to World War II when the decision was made to knowingly inflict so much pain on a civilization that it would end the war and the constant losses the us was taking.I don't know if we would ever have the will to drop a nuke on someone other than Russia firing nukes at us and everyone is going out guns blazing. But if Syria or Saudi Arabia was caught funding a terror cell that let off a dirty bomb killing tens of thousands potentially I wonder if that finally triggers a visceral response of unleashed carnage. I mean if someone was able to blow up the super bowl location and killed 100,000 people I can't imagine we are just sending in more troops and drones to slog around Syria going door to door not trying to hurt civilians living next door to a top Isis guy. I hope we never find out.

lod01 said:
[icon] said:
tommyboy said:

You can't just freely come and go from Raqqa.

Lots of informative stuff if you search Kobani on Twitter or Google. It is a city that Daesh seized, but was forced out of by local Arab fighters and American bombing support. Similar situation in Singal now as well.

On the 13th, Daesh flag was removed and the Kurds took Sinjar, here is the video

They have a 6000 square meter Kurdish flag they plan to raise as well. Look on Twitter for SInjar and Kobani to see the support and effort from the Muslim community if fighting against Daesh. They are fighting for their homeland.

bagger said:
Otis said:
in thinking about what I posted earlier it made me think about the analysis to drop the h bomb in Hiroshima. In thinking about a worst case scenario attack on nyc if Isis ever got their hands on a dirty bomb and let it loose if that would ever trigger a response similar to World War II when the decision was made to knowingly inflict so much pain on a civilization that it would end the war and the constant losses the us was taking.I don't know if we would ever have the will to drop a nuke on someone other than Russia firing nukes at us and everyone is going out guns blazing. But if Syria or Saudi Arabia was caught funding a terror cell that let off a dirty bomb killing tens of thousands potentially I wonder if that finally triggers a visceral response of unleashed carnage. I mean if someone was able to blow up the super bowl location and killed 100,000 people I can't imagine we are just sending in more troops and drones to slog around Syria going door to door not trying to hurt civilians living next door to a top Isis guy. I hope we never find out.
Scary, but I would sort of like to ward off that eventual enormous loss of innocent US lives, rather than have it happen and only THEN break out the big guns as pure retaliation.

On the 13th, Daesh flag was removed and the Kurds took Sinjar, here is the video

They have a 6000 square meter Kurdish flag they plan to raise as well. Look on Twitter for SInjar and Kobani to see the support and effort from the Muslim community if fighting against Daesh. They are fighting for their homeland.
Fight harder plz thx

• Smile
Reactions: RBM

Fight harder plz thx
We are supporting them with air strikes, definitely is working.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/peshmerga-kurds-sinjar-success-air-strikes-151116051801695.html

bagger said:
Otis said:
Scary, but I would sort of like to ward off that eventual enormous loss of innocent US lives, rather than have it happen and only THEN break out the big guns as pure retaliation.
You know what else I keep hearing...how strong their resolve is. Can we put that to the test at least because I'm not sure I buy it. Like they know we are too good natured to unleash true hell, fire and brimstone in this day and age so they #### with us and taunt us. But most evidence points to them being wussies. I'd be very curious to see how much firepower they can take until they cower and give up.

Fight harder plz thx

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/peshmerga-kurds-sinjar-success-air-strikes-151116051801695.html
can we add Bags after the word Daesh

Squishy style

@joenbc

Mitt Romney: It's Time To Wage War on ISIS "We will not defeat the enemy if we are afraid to call it by its name." wapo.st/1HN2Hhl?tid

Fight harder plz thx

Ha, you know, those ISIS/Daesh guys are really thin-skinned, I bet that would actually drive them crazy.

I haven't checked but I'd like really to know if the official Iraqi army helped get this W.

Fight harder plz thx

:lmao:

read somewhere that one of the reasons ISIS is stepping things up recently is because they've been losing recruits, like it was 3000 a day pouring into the region previously and now its like 50 or 60. I'll see if I can find the quote. Makes sense though. They need make a splash and have johnny jihadi think that joining the cause is a winning strategy

read somewhere that one of the reasons ISIS is stepping things up recently is because they've been losing recruits, like it was 3000 a day pouring into the region previously and now its like 50 or 60. I'll see if I can find the quote. Makes sense though. They need make a splash and have johnny jihadi think that joining the cause is a winning strategy
Yes, 2/3 returned home in 2015.

Fight harder plz thx

:thumbup: Great name.

Users who are viewing this thread