What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall Press Conference (1 Viewer)

mbuehner

Footballguy
Anybody just here that mess? Ughh. Marshall just rambled on for an hour basically telling everyone not to jump to conclusions about what RR and Peterson did because of... all the things that 'happened' to him. Marshall has a domestic violence rap sheet as long as his arm, which we all hope is behind him. But calling a press conference to basically deny any accountability for your own failings in order to absolve other knuckleheads caught red handed?

I dont know that he said anything that will get him in league or team trouble, but it may have drawn a big target on his back if there is anybody else in the woodwork of his past. If you are in the NFL... SHUT UP about this stuff. Nobody is coming away looking remotely good opening their mouths right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
He had a press conference to talk about other player? WTF? Why in the world would he or Chi allow that?

He had a press conference to talk about other player? WTF? Why in the world would he or Chi allow that?
Seriously i have no idea. Or at least pull the plug when it started spiraling out of control. In fairness he was also responding to some ESPN story about him and his wife.

I know A Football Life this Friday on NFLN is on him and if there is an ESPN show too then maybe he has some charity or foundation thing going on right now. That being said, a press conference seems out of the norm.

Did he mention whether he was 100% for Monday night's game? Because that's all I give a f*** about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshall has been exceptionally forthright about his own mental health issues and intensive counseling pertaining thereto (I'm assuming both psychiatric and psychological). He considers himself an advocate for players with mental health issues in the NFL. I'm not sure why he wouldn't speak on this issue if he felt the other players needed the same thing as he did.

I'm sure he doesn't consider himself a bad person for his actions before his borderline personality disorder diagnosis, and is waiting on these guys to do the same thing.

I should also state I'm no huge fan of Marshall, nor of complete absolution of past deeds because of mental health issues. Just trying to explain his thought process.

I do not think there was a problem with this. To put up a press conference means he had a bunch of media requests.

What I get from your complaint is you think people should be judged based off only the evidence the media presents to us, is this correct? Because referencing where Marshall said the judge and jury comment and getting upset with that means you think the opposite from the way it looks. I too feel they should not be playing the game right now, but to think you should judge them and convict them legally based off only the info the media gives you is not appropriate either.

You guys should read the transcript when it comes out. It was... weird. And a little disturbing.

Short version- Gloria Allred ripped Goodell for going easy on Marshall for his (extensive) domestic abuse allegations, and she brought a witness. Marshall didnt do himself any favors by essentially playing victim and raising his own profile in this mess. IE- if Im a Bears fan, I dont feel good about the name Brandon Marshall being brought up in the context of RR, Hardy, and Peterson. The things he said were exactly the things the NFL is trying hard to distance itself from- ie, maybe its the victim doing things that caused some of this. Rice got a retroactive suspension (he oringally got 2 games, Marshall served 1)... Im not saying Marshall is at all likely to draw that kind of fire, but the situation is so volatile right not in the pubic relations you really dont want to go testing those waters. If this picks up steam, who knows what Goodell will do (ie- oh, now we have a new witness, lets revisited the Marshall case). Again- not likely, but that little speech did not make him look repentant, much less good.

(CBS) In a raw and bizarre press conference Thursday afternoon, Bears receiver Brandon Marshall defended himself against past accusations of domestic violence and blasted ESPN for a profile it ran of him Tuesday night that focused on those allegations and which included a lot of interview footage that had been shot two years ago....
Marshall showed no remorse toward Watley and didn’t really reflect much on domestic violence victims in general.
The press conference was full of unusual moments. As he blasted ESPN, Marshall claimed he lost $50 million in endorsements and salary over this whole ordeal. He also oddly described a scene in which he said a drunk woman who was throwing up showed up at his residence before she left for a neighbor’s, insinuating that was one of the instances in which an accusation stemmed from.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/09/18/marshall-defends-himself-against-past-domestic-violence-accusations-rips-espn/

I'm not making an argument one way or another about Marshall- im just saying this is not the kind of controversy you are happy about your players being involved in, period. Word is the Bears are distancing themselves from the presser.

Gloria Allred had a press conference yesterday largely about him and things he did 7 years ago to make a point about the current state of affairs in the NFL and he provided his response when meeting with reporters today. I think the OP is mischaracterizing it to make it sound like the guy just called a press conference out of the blue to portray himself as a victim and absolve Rice and Peterson. Completely off base IMO.

I'm impressed with Marshall's apparent growth as a person and think he made some very valid points.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/brandon-marshall-just-gave-a-very-compelling-thoughtful-press-conference-on-domestic-violence-his-past/

Gloria Allred had a press conference yesterday largely about him and things he did 7 years ago to make a point about the current state of affairs in the NFL and he provided his response when meeting with reporters today. I think the OP is mischaracterizing it to make it sound like the guy just called a press conference out of the blue to portray himself as a victim and absolve Rice and Peterson. Completely off base IMO.

I'm impressed with Marshall's apparent growth as a person and think he made some very valid points.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/brandon-marshall-just-gave-a-very-compelling-thoughtful-press-conference-on-domestic-violence-his-past/
I have to agree. Social media is littered with a great deal of hate towards the NFL. The league is getting a bad rep at this point. Marshall has obviously dealt with mental issues. Mental illness is real. He's shown he's tried to better himself and move forward. To criticize him because of this is asinine. You are no better and being extremely judgmental if you are making derogative comments about him.

Marshall *seems* to have turned his life around and has been an advocate for mental health. I hope that is true and he is indeed living his message. I do expect him (or at least understand) why he would appear to be soft on guys like Rice or Peterson simply because of his own experiences. I would hope he wouldn't defend any of their actions, but I get that he's going to come at it from a different angle than most of us.

The fact that Gloria Aldred is involved diminishes the facts of the case, in my opinion. She's got a reputation, and it's hard to take (or know) what to take seriously from her. She may be telling the truth too, Marshall was a bad person, and it's not hard to believe that the NFL may have diminished the version of events or not done their research.

Why is it as soon as a woman has a beef you see [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]Gloria Allred come out of the woodwork and standing in front of a podium?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]She's like Beetlejuice except it doesn't take 3 times[/SIZE]

Just watched a bunch of this stuff, and I think the OP wildly mischaracterized everything about this.

He's being ripped on at least one Chicago sports station, I think a bit unfairly.

I saw most of the conference and my main takeaway was not that he was trying to sugarcoat or gloss over his very real and well documented issues, but that not all accusations are 100% true and people shouldn't be demonized immediately until all the facts come out and are adjudicated.

Sometimes accusations are made and charges are filed in attempt to extort money for example. Other times of course they're completely justified. But unless there's concrete evidence such as the Ray Rice elevator film, you just don't know.

Don't rush to judgement everytime someone is accused, basically. Which I agree with.

I heard some of it live on The Score earlier. He basically slammed ESPN for interviewing him and than turning around and distorting the interview. Good for him.

Rex Ryan just crapped a Blue Goose.

A ticked off Brandon Marshall will get a15 yard penalty sometime Monday Night

And a stat line like this:

15 rec.

175 yds.

3 TD's

Why is it as soon as a woman has a beef you see Gloria Allred come out of the woodwork and standing in front of a podium?

She's like Beetlejuice except it doesn't take 3 times
because she's the biggest ambulance chaser NOT name Chuck Schumer, and she's equally useless as he is.

Rex Ryan just crapped a Blue Goose.

A ticked off Brandon Marshall will get a15 yard penalty sometime Monday Night

And a stat line like this:

15 rec.

175 yds.

3 TD's
:yes:

A pissed off Brandon Marshall went off on Thursday Night last season

(CBS) In a raw and bizarre press conference Thursday afternoon, Bears receiver Brandon Marshall defended himself against past accusations of domestic violence and blasted ESPN for a profile it ran of him Tuesday night that focused on those allegations and which included a lot of interview footage that had been shot two years ago....
Marshall showed no remorse toward Watley and didn’t really reflect much on domestic violence victims in general.
The press conference was full of unusual moments. As he blasted ESPN, Marshall claimed he lost $50 million in endorsements and salary over this whole ordeal. He also oddly described a scene in which he said a drunk woman who was throwing up showed up at his residence before she left for a neighbor’s, insinuating that was one of the instances in which an accusation stemmed from.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/09/18/marshall-defends-himself-against-past-domestic-violence-accusations-rips-espn/

I'm not making an argument one way or another about Marshall- im just saying this is not the kind of controversy you are happy about your players being involved in, period. Word is the Bears are distancing themselves from the presser.
Must be a B and B fan

I didn't know about the Gloria Allred thing when I posted the thread- fair criticism that I mischaracterized it.

Users who are viewing this thread