Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Rodgers is playing the QB position better than anyone... ever


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, jon_mx said:

A GM who puts you in a situation where you have to extend a back-up quarterback because you used so much draft Capitol on him is not worthy of his position.  Characterizing it as not handling it the best when in fact it was a collaso mistake is downplaying just how horribly wrong this was played.  The GM created a toxic environment for one of the greatest QB's of all-time.  

The only mistake Gutekust made is not taking in to account how whiny and petty Rodgers is.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

The only mistake Gutekust made is not taking in to account how whiny and petty Rodgers is.

Trust me, as a Lions fan, I 100 percent support the Packers organization to pin this all on Rodgers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 3nOut said:

"It's about character. It's about culture. It's about doing things the right way." -Aaron Rodgers

 

That's quite hypocritical. What does his character tell the rest of the team? That it's ok to put yourself above the team? To be partying In Hawaii while everyone else attends OTAs? What kind of culture is that? 

It's all about doing things the right way, as long as it's his way. 

Yeah that line about culture, doing things the right way, etc and bringing up some of the Packer greats is just PR BS. It was nothing morethan an attempt to win the Packer fans over to his side. Bart Starr and Lombardi are rolling over in their graves with his stunt.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

The only mistake Gutekust made is not taking in to account how whiny and petty Rodgers is.

Well he should be fired then for not realizing what everyone knew years ago.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, TVT 0 N S T A said:

Jordan Love isn't a back-up QB.  He is their future starting QB and being groomed as such.  As a guy, Aaron Rodgers, who was in Jordan Love's exact position when he was drafted - you would think he'd get it.  If I am a Packer fan, I am applauding GB for having the courage to find the successor to their QB, because any fan of another franchise who has watched bad QB play knows it's difficult to stay afloat in the NFL.  Unfortunately, getting a high calibur QB means drafting them early (see most recent draft). The GM didn't create a toxic environment.  Rodgers did.  He is talking out of both sides of his mouth.  "It isn't about them drafting Jordan, I love Jordan." - then says, The culture is terrible because of the GM.  For me to be on Rodgers side, I'd have to know what the GM did that was so egregious to make him quit on the football team. 

The only misstep Gutekunst made was not including Rodgers on the team's plans for the future; but, at this point, I don't blame him.  He probably knew it would end in a Rodgers meltdown (as we are seeing unfold).  Green Bay has probably been in the top 5% best run organizations over the last 30 years and I am not even a Packer fan.  

As petty as Rodgers has been throughout this and throughout his career with his passive-aggresive behavior, does anyone believe that had Gutekunst included Rodgers in their decision to draft his successor, Rodgers wouldn't have done something to sabotage/derail the pick of a QB? Or that including him would have avoided a tantrum?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KingPrawn said:

As petty as Rodgers has been throughout this and throughout his career with his passive-aggresive behavior, does anyone believe that had Gutekunst included Rodgers in their decision to draft his successor, Rodgers wouldn't have done something to sabotage/derail the pick of a QB? Or that including him would have avoided a tantrum?

Exactly.  He would have acted this way no matter what.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KingPrawn said:

As petty as Rodgers has been throughout this and throughout his career with his passive-aggresive behavior, does anyone believe that had Gutekunst included Rodgers in their decision to draft his successor, Rodgers wouldn't have done something to sabotage/derail the pick of a QB? Or that including him would have avoided a tantrum?

It's completely counter-intuitive to think a pre-draft phone call - "hey, we might take a QB in the first round, just fyi thanks!" - would have changed anything.  And yet, that seems to be the dominant public opinion on this.  I saw Alex Smith earlier this week say it was "inexcusable" that the Packers didn't run their draft decisions past him in advance.  The only way that might have helped is if he makes it clear he's going to make life insufferable for everyone involved if they draft a QB, so they change their mind and draft someone else.  For me, that's an even worse outcome because then we have a player who knows he controls management entirely.  Honestly, this is changing somewhat my view of his terrible play in McCarthy's final season.

I really want to like Rodgers, but the more I learn about the guy the worse this looks.  I'm mentally ready to move on from him at this point - do not want the team to give him a cap-busting mega deal.  To hear him using the names Lambeau, Lombardi and Starr on ESPN earlier this week to justify himself turned my stomach.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

 Honestly, this is changing somewhat my view of his terrible play in McCarthy's final season.

Honestly, it seems like nothing has ever been Aaron's fault in his eyes.  He's completely severed ties with most his immediate family, held grudges his entire life and while I understand it is frustrating to see guys like Mahomes, Brady have offenses built around him - he has also sung the praises of a Jake Kumerow, Aging Jordy Nelson and no-name Allen Lazard.  If you are saying things are satisfactory, while your defense couldn't stop anyone, they're going to build on defense.  

This situation wouldn't have been remedied by telling Rodgers.  I just believe it would have come to light sooner.  It's not like he found out they were shopping him.  They're asking him to play out his (at the time) top-QB contract and maybe he can choose where he plays if the team doesn't resign him.  Why force the hand and subject yourself to this media spotlight showcasing your negativity?  Bad look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guess is that at this point, the Packers organization is weighing the benefits of trading Rodgers with the benefits of keeping him. If Rodgers sits out, they can recoup a lot of money. I don’t think Rodgers would be willing to give back any money, not play at all in 2021, and risk hurting his reputation even more. All said and done, I think Rodgers will cry and whine but will end up playing for the Packers this year. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

Quote

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman reports Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst "will not" trade Aaron Rodgers this summer. 

Confirmation of Gutekunst's refusal to part with Rodgers comes as an important deadline approaches. If the team were to trade Rodgers after June 1, it would free up $16.05 million in salary cap space this year; the team would absorb a $21.152 million dead money hit. Green Bay would be dealt a $38.356 million dead money charge if they traded the NFL MVP before June 2. Rodgers has made it clear that his grievance is not with the team's coaches or players, but with Gutekunst and the Packers' front office. If Rodgers chooses retirement over returning to Green Bay, he wouldn’t collect the remaining $23 million in signing bonuses on his contract and the Packers could recoup the $6.8 million roster bonus Rodgers recently signed. That would leave Jordan Love and Blake Bortles as the Packers' QBs headed into 2021. Hello darkness, my old friend.

RELATED: 

Jordan Love

, Blake Bortles

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 31, 2021, 10:05 AM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FMIA: Roger Goodell’s Successor And 8 Issues Facing NFL In Near Future

Excerpt:

Quote

The Future Of The Packers 

Speaking of Rodgers . . . So it’s May 31, and I’d say this little staredown between the quarterback and the team that swears it won’t trade him is 60 days from getting real. It’s unlikely Rodgers will attend the June 15-17 mandatory minicamp. He’d incur a $95,877 fine for that boycott. It’s one thing to be rock-solid in your position on May 31, with the season three months away. But it’s another thing when the reality of the stances—both by Rodgers and the team that insists there will not be a trade—reach the real time of training camp, and the season. I don’t know how this turns out. No one does. What I’d do if I were president Mark Murphy and GM Brian Gutekunst: set up a half-hour every week for Gutekunst and/or Murphy to clear calendars for Rodgers and perhaps other team leaders to bring grievances/concerns to them. Or just simply to get to know them better.

Beyond Rodgers, I think this should be about Rodgers’ concerns. If, as has been reported, the Packers never notified Rodgers they were drafting Jordan Love and he found out on TV, shame on them. Even if you’re not going to seek Rodgers’ input on team decisions (that’s a tricky subject, and I’m not sure I’d want to open that window either), you can hear him out about concerns. The NFL used to be a league in which GMs pick the players, coaches coach the players and players simply play. But if smart players want more than that, and the alternative is that smart players (Russell Wilson, Rodgers and who knows in the future) want out if they’re ignored, why not allow players to give input? If the alternative is alienating great players to the point where they want out, wouldn’t you consider a different way of doing things? The Packers should.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, 3nOut said:

My guess is that at this point, the Packers organization is weighing the benefits of trading Rodgers with the benefits of keeping him. If Rodgers sits out, they can recoup a lot of money. I don’t think Rodgers would be willing to give back any money, not play at all in 2021, and risk hurting his reputation even more. All said and done, I think Rodgers will cry and whine but will end up playing for the Packers this year. 

They're are thinking how bad it'll look personally if Rodgers goes and wins somewhere while Love is terrible and they have a losing record. Hardly anybody thinks about the team, they're thinking about themselves almost entirely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

They're are thinking how bad it'll look personally if Rodgers goes and wins somewhere while Love is terrible and they have a losing record. Hardly anybody thinks about the team, they're thinking about themselves almost entirely.

I agree. Greed and ego are usually at the top of the pyramid. Gute is weighing the best options that will a) keep his paycheck coming and b) avoid looking the worst GM in NFL history. Not sure he can pull off both.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, daveR said:

Would you trade Rodgers for Watson?

Can't imagine that would go over well with Packer fans. I don't see much option for him but to play for the Texans and rehab his image. People will sort of forget in a year or two. At least enough for him not to be completely toxic. Although I could see a team like the Eagles trading for him if they didn't have to give much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, daveR said:

Would you trade Rodgers for Watson?

 

41 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

Can't imagine that would go over well with Packer fans. I don't see much option for him but to play for the Texans and rehab his image. People will sort of forget in a year or two. At least enough for him not to be completely toxic. Although I could see a team like the Eagles trading for him if they didn't have to give much.

This would be the most awesome "F U" to Aaron.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, CletiusMaximus said:

It's completely counter-intuitive to think a pre-draft phone call - "hey, we might take a QB in the first round, just fyi thanks!" - would have changed anything.  And yet, that seems to be the dominant public opinion on this.  I saw Alex Smith earlier this week say it was "inexcusable" that the Packers didn't run their draft decisions past him in advance.  The only way that might have helped is if he makes it clear he's going to make life insufferable for everyone involved if they draft a QB, so they change their mind and draft someone else.  For me, that's an even worse outcome because then we have a player who knows he controls management entirely.  Honestly, this is changing somewhat my view of his terrible play in McCarthy's final season.

I really want to like Rodgers, but the more I learn about the guy the worse this looks.  I'm mentally ready to move on from him at this point - do not want the team to give him a cap-busting mega deal.  To hear him using the names Lambeau, Lombardi and Starr on ESPN earlier this week to justify himself turned my stomach.

 

I think the issue is more why are you drafting a successor, when you are in the midst of a championship window and your team has needs? I mean everyone knows when their team is at that point--that championship point, where a player here or a player there is all it is going to take to put you over that hump. As a Denver fan, it was great seeing management going all in when Peyton came to town. They opened their pocketbooks up, surrounded him with players on both sides of the ball, said be damn the future and a title was had. 

GB has been there for a few years and to say, well, let focus on the future, when you haven't won anything, is an insult to your players and your fan base. Some teams have longer windows--some have a year or two and it is just a gut punch when your team doesn't take advantage of that moment because it may be a decade or more before you get that chance. 

IMO GB shouldn't have drafted a backup QB when there were other players that could have helped that team, that year available. Even trading that pick for a veteran FA would have been a better move than drafting a backup QB. 

That being said, I bet he stays in GB

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

IMO GB shouldn't have drafted a backup QB when there were other players that could have helped that team, that year available. Even trading that pick for a veteran FA would have been a better move than drafting a backup QB. 

That being said, I bet he stays in GB

 

 

 I generally agree with this.  But I'm getting the feeling Rodgers is more of a prima donna/diva than many of us might realize.

Sure the reports have been coming out the last year or three, and I believe most of it started when he was seeing Danica Patrick or just before. (I'm certainly not saying she was the cause though)

 

Whatever we see as casual fans and fantasy players, you can bet GB knew of this "situation"  before it reached us.

 I would think that would cause them to draft a backup, maybe that was what happened.  We will likely never know the full story.

 

I also think Rodgers sticks in GB. It may take more guaranteed money, or a lump sum payment for a lot of his contract money, but I would think some agreement is reached.  Unless its a worse situation than we all realize.  We'll know in the next 30-45 days I'm betting.  If they do decide to keep him around, they will want him looking like a "good soldier" and showing up for the majority of team activities.....one would think.

 

 TZM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

I think the issue is more why are you drafting a successor, when you are in the midst of a championship window and your team has needs? I mean everyone knows when their team is at that point--that championship point, where a player here or a player there is all it is going to take to put you over that hump. As a Denver fan, it was great seeing management going all in when Peyton came to town. They opened their pocketbooks up, surrounded him with players on both sides of the ball, said be damn the future and a title was had. 

GB has been there for a few years and to say, well, let focus on the future, when you haven't won anything, is an insult to your players and your fan base. Some teams have longer windows--some have a year or two and it is just a gut punch when your team doesn't take advantage of that moment because it may be a decade or more before you get that chance. 

IMO GB shouldn't have drafted a backup QB when there were other players that could have helped that team, that year available. Even trading that pick for a veteran FA would have been a better move than drafting a backup QB. 

That being said, I bet he stays in GB

I definitely get all of this - whether they were right or wrong to draft a QB in the first round in 2020 is a legitimate question and certainly one the GM has and will continue to have to answer for.  If Ted Thompson's experience drafting Rodgers to replace Favre is any sort of guide, the current GM will pay dearly for this until his dying day, even if the decision is massively vindicated.  But this is a separate issue from the one I was responding to.  The issue many have been discussing which I and others were responding to is the notion that the team messed up by not calling Rodgers before making their draft pick - whether to get his blessing or just keep him in the loop.  Many have said this was an inexcusable, incomprehensible mistake.  I don't think it would have changed anything, but agree there is an apparent communication breakdown somewhere behind the scenes at 1265 Lombardi Avenue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I definitely get all of this - whether they were right or wrong to draft a QB in the first round in 2020 is a legitimate question and certainly one the GM has and will continue to have to answer for.  If Ted Thompson's experience drafting Rodgers to replace Favre is any sort of guide, the current GM will pay dearly for this until his dying day, even if the decision is massively vindicated.  But this is a separate issue from the one I was responding to.  The issue many have been discussing which I and others were responding to is the notion that the team messed up by not calling Rodgers before making their draft pick - whether to get his blessing or just keep him in the loop.  Many have said this was an inexcusable, incomprehensible mistake.  I don't think it would have changed anything, but agree there is an apparent communication breakdown somewhere behind the scenes at 1265 Lombardi Avenue.

The mistake was drafting Love and it was a huge mistake.  The world knew the right draft move was to build the team around Rogers while the championship window was open.  Rogers is a weirdo and a big baby but GB created this mess.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

The mistake was drafting Love and it was a huge mistake.  The world knew the right draft move was to build the team around Rogers while the championship window was open.  Rogers is a weirdo and a big baby but GB created this mess.  

This mess has been brewing for several years.  It is crappy management style.  It puts players in a crappy situation.  People that pour out everything in their souls into winning and then getting treated like some kind of pawn will irritate anyone.  The fact that the Packers management can't set their ego aside and want to play hardball will lead to only one outcome......Rodgers retiring,   at least temporarily.

Edited by jon_mx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The mistake was drafting Love and it was a huge mistake.  The world knew the right draft move was to build the team around Rogers while the championship window was open.  Rogers is a weirdo and a big baby but GB created this mess.  

Except people are acting like going into 2020 that Rodgers had played like he did in 2020.  That wasn't the case in 2018 or 2019.

I still believe it was a huge mistake to take Love.  But there is some selective memory going on in some of the arguments as well.

Rodgers was not great in 2018 or 2019.  After coming off injury in 2017 (and suffering the injury in the first game in 2018 and playing through it).

I don't think many were predicting 2021 to look like it did (using FF as a guide...where was Rodgers drafted?  )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Except people are acting like going into 2020 that Rodgers had played like he did in 2020.  That wasn't the case in 2018 or 2019.

I still believe it was a huge mistake to take Love.  But there is some selective memory going on in some of the arguments as well.

Rodgers was not great in 2018 or 2019.  After coming off injury in 2017 (and suffering the injury in the first game in 2018 and playing through it).

I don't think many were predicting 2021 to look like it did (using FF as a guide...where was Rodgers drafted?  )

Last year FF "expert" Evan Silva said "Aaron Rodgers is not a good fantasy football quarterback."  The consensus was he was a fringe QB1, and not one you would want to target.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said the Packers clearing salary cap space "is another indication they’re planning" on Aaron Rodgers to return to the team. 

The team has cleared about $4.4 million in cap space over the past week. Green Bay got creative in recently re-signing TE Robert Tonyan, treating most of his $3.384 million restricted free agent tender as bonus for salary cap purposes, tacking on four voidable years, and saving around $1.9 million on the 2021 cap. Pelissero said the Packers "wouldn’t need these nickel-and-dime moves" if they planned on parting with Rodgers -- a move that would save the team more than $16 million in cap space. It's the latest indication Rodgers will come back to Green Bay or retire. General manager Brian Gutekunst has been steadfast in his refusal to discuss trading the 2020 NFL MVP. 

RELATED: 

Robert Tonyan

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jun 2, 2021, 10:41 AM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jon_mx said:
4 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The mistake was drafting Love and it was a huge mistake.  The world knew the right draft move was to build the team around Rogers while the championship window was open.  Rogers is a weirdo and a big baby but GB created this mess.  

This mess has been brewing for several years.  It is crappy management style.  It puts players in a crappy situation.  People that pour out everything in their souls into winning and then getting treated like some kind of pawn will irritate anyone.  The fact that the Packers management can't set their ego aside and want to play hardball will lead to only one outcome......Rodgers retiring,   at least temporarily.

He was the MVP last year at 37, and they've played in the NFCCC game two years in a row.  How is this a "crappy situation"? The team has put Rodgers in a fantastic situation for 15 years and has the record and contract history to show for it.  They are clearly going all-in on #12  again this offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, zeeshan2 said:

Peter King: I would bet Rodgers, today, is solid on never playing for the Packers again

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/07/aaron-rodgers-packers-compromise-nfl-fmia-peter-king/?utm_int=Edge1248

King was saying a couple weeks ago he thought cooler heads might prevail. This is big if he’s shifting back to thinking he won’t play for GB again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zeeshan2 said:
2 hours ago, zeeshan2 said:

Peter King: I would bet Rodgers, today, is solid on never playing for the Packers again

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/07/aaron-rodgers-packers-compromise-nfl-fmia-peter-king/?utm_int=Edge1248

King was saying a couple weeks ago he thought cooler heads might prevail. This is big if he’s shifting back to thinking he won’t play for GB again

Click through to the article to see it is almost the exact opposite of OP's summary.  Actual headline is "Aaron Rodgers, The Green Bay Packers And The Compromise That Helps Everyone Get What They Want"  First sentence is, "I have a bridge-building idea for the Aaron Rodgers dilemma. The more I think about it, the more I think, Why not?"

I'll save you the click - In true Peter King fashion, he suggests the same compromise resolution that has been probably the most commonly suggested resolution proposed by reporters and commentators over the past few months, but presents it like some brilliant innovative King Soloman solution that he came up with based on his years of experience negotiating player contracts for NFL teams.  Summary - Rodgers plays this year, traded next year.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports there's been "no change" regarding Aaron Rodgers' status, and he doesn't plan to report to mandatory minicamp Tuesday.

It means Rodgers is officially starting his holdout, as he can be fined over $93K for missing the three-day minicamp. The Packers can waive the fine if they choose, but Rodgers has already forfeited a $500K workout bonus by missing OTAs this spring. The Packers have shown zero indication they will trade the reigning MVP.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jun 7, 2021, 6:45 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Aaron Rodgers didn't show up for the Packers' first day of mandatory minicamp. 

The 2020 NFL MVP is now an official holdout. Pelissero described the team's minicamp as a "symbolic checkpoint" in Rodgers' refusal to return to Green Bay for his 17th season. The team can fine Rodgers up to $93,000 for missing all three days of minicamp. Rodgers forfeited a half million dollar bonus when he was a no-show at Green Bay's voluntary OTAs. The Packers would be required to fine Rodgers $50,000 for every day of training camp he misses and could claw back millions in bonus money from their franchise player if he remains resolute. Jordan Love is expected to operate as the team's No. 1 QB during this week's minicamp. Any indication that Rodgers won't attend Packers training camp should send Davante Adams and Aaron Jones down draft boards. 

RELATED: 

Jordan Love

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jun 8, 2021, 10:14 AM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Andrew Brandt @AndrewBrandt

Packers will never admit it, but they would be fine with Aaron skipping minicamp (and maybe some training camp). When Favre stayed in Mississippi those offseasons, we got to see Aaron run the team in the offseason, great evaluation period. The Packers now do the same with Love.

7:21 AM · Jun 8, 2021

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The analytic side of equation backed up Aaron Rodgers' 2020 as MVP year... 

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/aaron-rodgers-tom-brady-justin-herbert-patrick-mahomes-best-quarterbacks/

And you can see why Green Bay Packers are doing the damnest not to trade him this year.  Whomever in the business side of the Packers organization need to be quieted down (looking at you, CEO Mark Murphy). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 10:33 AM, facook said:

Last year FF "expert" Evan Silva said "Aaron Rodgers is not a good fantasy football quarterback."  The consensus was he was a fringe QB1, and not one you would want to target.

Was that a correct prognostication for 2020?

Just because the echo chamber thinks something does not make it true.

Edited by Biabreakable
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Was that a correct prognostication for 2020?

Just because the echo chamber thinks something does not make it true.

No.  He ended up either Qb 1 or 2 depending on scoring system.  My point was adding a little credence to Sho Nuff's point that GB drafted Love when Rodgers was at his alpha level we once, and now again, think of him as playing on.  He had a couple of fairly mediocre seasons (for him) going into that draft.  Fantasy circles reflected that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The latest quote from James Jones is hilarious. Who else is picturing Aaron calling Jones to explain how he's not a complicated guy? This is the best contradictory doubletalk he could come up with:

Quote

“I have a very good relationship with Mark Murphy,” Jones said. “Mark Murphy has a very good relationship with all of his players. . . . If you have a relationship with Aaron Rodgers, no, he’s not a complicated fella. And that’s with anything. You are talking about the future of a Hall of Fame quarterback’s career. Yeah, it’s gonna be complicated. He wants some things, you want some things. So it’s gonna be complicated. But listening to Mark Murphy talk, I am not reading into it too much. I’m pumping my brakes . . . I am relaxing. Don’t read too much into it. I know Mark personally, Mark loves all his players. And, yes, this situation is complicated because you’re dealing with a guy who wants certain things, you’re dealing with an organization who wants some things and you’re trying to come together as one to get this thing fixed. So it’s gonna be a little complicated. . . . So when you do have a relationship with him . . . no, it is not complicated. So get together, get a relationship with Aaron Rodgers like I have one, and get together and get it fixed.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, IheartGuinness said:

Imagine being so fragile that you're offended by the term, "complicated." Would be rather be called simple? Much ado about nothing. Murphy didn't do anything wrong. 

Please, he made a comment just to annoy Rodgers. If you don't think he knew what he was doing you're naive. That's the stage it's at, both sides taking little shots at each other and trying to gain the fans support.

Edited by voiceofunreason
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Blackbear said:

He hasn’t and never will be the best. Whomever made this title is not on any sort of earth that the rest of us live on. 

If you were able to put the top QBs of all-time, in their respective primes, on the exact same teams, I would take him over all others.  The problem with football is there are so many intangibles that go into where each QB's career trajectory takes them.  In the ultimate team sport, comparisons via simply numbers are a fool's task.  Situations vary so widely, it's impossible to compare.

So fans go with their faves and bias plays the biggest part.  It's easy to cherry-pick a slew of statistics in support of any of the top guys.  Each situation and supporting cast have a massive impact on results and the actual player has little control over that.  Accolades are easy arguments to make, especially for homers to make in support of their bias.  There's more to it than that.

One thing I'm not is a Green Bay fan.  Or Cal for that matter.  But I would take Rodgers.  Of all the top guys who would've won more, and/or carried entire franchises on their backs, he's top of that list.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Aznflyer14 said:

The analytic side of equation backed up Aaron Rodgers' 2020 as MVP year... 

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/aaron-rodgers-tom-brady-justin-herbert-patrick-mahomes-best-quarterbacks/

And you can see why Green Bay Packers are doing the damnest not to trade him this year.  Whomever in the business side of the Packers organization need to be quieted down (looking at you, CEO Mark Murphy). 

Good stuff.  Actual analysis that goes deeper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Please, he made a comment just to annoy Rodgers. If you don't think he knew what he was doing you're naive. That's the stage it's at, both sides taking little shots at each other and trying to gain the fans support.

I think you're giving Murphy way too much credit here

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, IheartGuinness said:

Imagine being so fragile that you're offended by the term, "complicated." Would he rather be called simple? Much ado about nothing. Murphy didn't do anything wrong. 

I can’t imagine Rodgers was offended by that comment. 100% media hype. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I can’t imagine Rodgers was offended by that comment. 100% media hype. 

I can imagine Rodgers being offended by the Packers GM saying the sky is blue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, facook said:

No.  He ended up either Qb 1 or 2 depending on scoring system.  My point was adding a little credence to Sho Nuff's point that GB drafted Love when Rodgers was at his alpha level we once, and now again, think of him as playing on.  He had a couple of fairly mediocre seasons (for him) going into that draft.  Fantasy circles reflected that.

Yeah I know. I was one of the folks arguing against how low Rodgers was valued in dynasty prior to last season.

I even in fun tried to argue against Rodgers comment that below average for him is better than most QB are doing but for the most part what he said is true. He had an injury and missed games as part of those down years as well.

Very possible the drafting of Love pissed him off and motivated his play to even a higher level in 2020.

2020 was also a historically bad year for defense and some of the worst defenses in the NFL the Lions and Vikings was 25% of Rodgers schedule. It shouldnt be such a cake walk against the Vikings this year. Im not sure if the Lions have improved that side of the ball much but they could not be worse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I can’t imagine Rodgers was offended by that comment. 100% media hype. 

I agree with most of your hot takes as I've been following along, but no so much this one. Do you think Aaron had any input/influence on James Jones' commentary about him not being complicated?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...