What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (7 Viewers)

So we can put this to bed, the 5th Curcuit hardly ever overturns decisions and only did so for 7% of cases in 2016. The NFL dropped the ball on this and won't get their suspension until 2018.
The majority of the people that I have read on this board agree with you that he will serve the suspension eventually.  I haven't heard any of the talking heads discuss a scenario where he does not get suspended.  I assume this stems from the idea that the NFL is all powerful as was shown in the Brady case.

If that generally accepted belief is actually true it means the NFL will eventually win the case.  If it is a given that this is the outcome wouldn't it make sense for the 5th Circuit to overturn it and save considerable court time?  At the very least I would think it wouldn't be shocking if it fell into the group as the 7%.

The 5th circuit just ordered oral arguments for October 2nd regarding the stay. It means Elliott will play the next 2 weeks.

However, this is a very unusual move of the courts to introduce oral arguments in regards to a stay and implies that the stay may be granted. Elliott may start serving suspension week 5.

Source, https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5th circuit just ordered oral arguments for October 2nd regarding the stay. It means Elliott will play the next week.

However, this is a very unusual move in reagrds to stay and implies that the stay may be granted. Elliott may start serving suspension week 5.
was just about to post this. 

And just dropped Foreman for DMC

I just dropped foreman for DMC as well... with the Monday night game I didn't want to be stuck... I'll probably just hold DMC now for the rest of the year so I do t have to follow this case too closely.

Apparently, the oral arguments are in regards to jurisdiction issue. It other words, the case could be thrown out of the Texas court because the NFLPA filed too early. Then the case would move to New York where NFL has more favorable judges. 

Apparently, the oral arguments are in regards to jurisdiction issue. It other words, the case could be thrown out of the Texas court because the NFLPA filed too early. Then the case would move to New York where NFL has more favorable judges. 
Ugh... 

Legal Experts will hopefully chime in soon...... what a ####show. 

Totally confused.

Two weeks ago, the Schefter's of the world were saying it's highly likely he plays the whole season.

Does anyone really know?

May have to make a run at DMC again. Have D. Martin and D. Henry on alert.

Totally confused.

Two weeks ago, the Schefter's of the world were saying it's highly likely he plays the whole season.

Does anyone really know?

May have to make a run at DMC again. Have D. Martin and D. Henry on alert.
I don't think those guys were considering the NFL going this route.  I posted about it right after Zeke won the injunction, but when little was reported, I assumed the NFL wasn't pursuing this angle. 

IF the 5th Circuit rules for the NFL, none of what has been discussed since Zeke won is relevant any more.  The judges decision, if it was issued in a case where the 5th says he had no right to rule, is null.   From what I recall, the NFL filed a suit for the district court in NY to uphold their decision immediately after they ruled.  If the 5th throws out the TX judges ruling, the case should go to NY.

that being said, I'm not sure of the strengths of the NFLs argument; it's centered around the fact that the NFLPA didn't have grounds to file suit when they did, as the NFL hadn't ruled on the appeal at the time.  I can't sue my employer for wrongful termination BEFORE I've been fired.  Similarly, the NFLPA has no right to file their lawsuit claiming the NFLs ruling was unfair, BEFORE the NFL actually ruled.

I wish I would've avoided this situation in FF. I knew I was going to regret it and and I drafted him anyway. 

I have McFadden but I'm just tired of all this already and it's only wk 3 wtf :lol:

Why not alfredmo....hasnt he been the backup??
That's been my play.  Maybe because dmac has been rostered but I have added and dropped alf three times now as the news keeps changing.  Nobody else tries to grab him. I won't be shocked if he's the guy to have.  If dmac was better it seems like they'd have him active. 

That's been my play.  Maybe because dmac has been rostered but I have added and dropped alf three times now as the news keeps changing.  Nobody else tries to grab him. I won't be shocked if he's the guy to have.  If dmac was better it seems like they'd have him active. 
IMO....FWIW

McFadden is the play if Zeke is out. He's been inactive because he doesn't play teams and Zeke is starting at RB

ok, so what is actually happening Oct 2? Is the NFL appealing the judge's denial of the stay? If so, and the 5th circuit reverses the stay...then Zeke starts his suspension the next day...Is this correct?

...and no one in the media so this coming?

Nope. I'm telling ya people are missing the boat on this one. 
it's not about Morris playing special teams, it's that Morris is not a 3 down back..Mcf can catch the ball and with Zeke out, there will be a spot for the special teams player...we shall see

On further reflection I don't think McFadden will be as effective as he was a couple years ago. Even if he is the starter Morris will probably get carries and good ones. Last time McFadden had to deal with Michael who was a flop, Randle who went awol and Dunbar who wasn't a primary back. Things are different now.

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL/status/909449441777774592/photo/1

@Magicfreak2Mark: @RapSheet So people do realize they are just hearing both sides on oct 2nd right? Could be weeks before an actual decision is made!!!

Cba requires credible evidence. They have none. That's why police dropped charges. He will win on appeal and win on merits. 0 game suspension coming next year. 
you do realize the hearing has absolutely nothing to do with what Zeke did or didn't do..right?

In my money redraft, we drafted on Friday 9/8, less than an hour after the judge ruled in Zeke's favor. I had 1.4 and deliberated at length between Zeke and Hunt. I chose Zeke. I think I pissed away $250.

Nice to wake up to W when you went to bed thinking you had a sure L. That line better start playing better. Didn't look good most of what I saw. 

As a Dallas fan, I thought not resigning Leary was a huge mistake. Your whole offense is based around the running game, yet they failed to lock up a key player & forced two personnel changes on the OL instead of one (Free's retirement). Going back farther, I thought the Zeke pick was a huge mistake, as well. It may not be a popular opinion, but I would've taken Jalen Ramsey there so fast Goodell wouldn't even of had to leave the podium. It has nothing to do with Zeke's personal problems, but I believe getting a shutdown corner was the right move. You've got to be aware of not only the current class, but upcoming classes. With two great RB classes coming up in 2017 & 2018, shoring up your D with what will likely be a perennial All-Pro CB should've been an easy choice in the 2016 draft. I was pissed, LOL.

I'm more than a little concerned about this season. They handled some key decisions poorly, IMO. Zeke & Leary being two of the biggest blunders. At this point, it's highly unlikely we're ready to advance deep into the playoffs this season.

As a Dallas fan, I thought not resigning Leary was a huge mistake. Your whole offense is based around the running game, yet they failed to lock up a key player & forced two personnel changes on the OL instead of one (Free's retirement). Going back farther, I thought the Zeke pick was a huge mistake, as well. It may not be a popular opinion, but I would've taken Jalen Ramsey there so fast Goodell wouldn't even of had to leave the podium. It has nothing to do with Zeke's personal problems, but I believe getting a shutdown corner was the right move. You've got to be aware of not only the current class, but upcoming classes. With two great RB classes coming up in 2017 & 2018, shoring up your D with what will likely be a perennial All-Pro CB should've been an easy choice in the 2016 draft. I was pissed, LOL.

I'm more than a little concerned about this season. They handled some key decisions poorly, IMO. Zeke & Leary being two of the biggest blunders. At this point, it's highly unlikely we're ready to advance deep into the playoffs this season.
good post.  It is your opinion but I like your analysis.

While I'm still hopeful Zeke is able to play all year, I'm trying to cover my bases and hold onto his backup... problem is that DMC, who I had pegged as his cuff, has been inactive every game this year & Morris has only touched the ball 4 times for 1yd. 

Anyone have any sort of insight into who the handcuff would be at this point?

While I'm still hopeful Zeke is able to play all year, I'm trying to cover my bases and hold onto his backup... problem is that DMC, who I had pegged as his cuff, has been inactive every game this year & Morris has only touched the ball 4 times for 1yd. 

Anyone have any sort of insight into who the handcuff would be at this point?
I think with the way the OL is playing-- the backup wont be nearly as valuable. I had dmc & dropped him for Cohen after week 1-- don't think Ill regret it. 

I think with the way the OL is playing-- the backup wont be nearly as valuable. I had dmc & dropped him for Cohen after week 1-- don't think Ill regret it. 
valid point. Already lost DJ and figured I'd try to protect the investment in Zeke just in case, but you might be right. That O-line is nowhere near as dominant as last year

Users who are viewing this thread