What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (6 Viewers)

I'd have to get Bell or similar value in return for him. Perhaps a top 5 WR & a lesser RB if I didn't need a huge RB to replace him
Interesting - Nobody will likely pay a top-5 WR in PPR assuming.

We can start 1-3 RB's so I'm going to shop Zeke in a package to get Jordy Nelson/Lynch.

Who is going to be the main handcuff if Zeek goes down or the suspension kicks in? At this point seems like Morris has the #2 role but I've read a few articles that suggest he hasn't shown much in limited work and McFadden would be activated to take over the primary work. 

Huh.  I'd rather have Zeke.  He doesn't drop passes like Cooper.
Ya know I used too think..  No way could I play against some of the posters in here.. Now it seems like it be easier.. I mean ya guys really not feeling Crabtree? Zeke is almost perfect for Dallas, w/ real skillz. 

Cooper's name all up in the Media.. Send me an actual fair offer involving?  Id just ignore it..  Hes good/great, but I already Own Carr.. Id expect a discount..  Gotta be nuts too think, Id trade Zeke, for pretty much anything, but perhaps a QB (2 QB League)

the moops said:
No you didn't
You should probably read the whole post before you shoot off.

"we drafted on Friday 9/8"

Tons of guys that drafted after week 1 took Hunt early just to get his 40 points into the lineup.

Interesting - Nobody will likely pay a top-5 WR in PPR assuming.

We can start 1-3 RB's so I'm going to shop Zeke in a package to get Jordy Nelson/Lynch.
In dynasty? I own him in dynasty. I"d move him for a top WR to go with Diggs & Evans. I'd also like a lesser RB in the deal.

Sold Zeke/Hopkins for Evans/Gordon. Also freed up the roster spot McFadden was taking up, so feeling decent about it all in all.

Edit: Redraft

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like McFadden is a healthy scratch again today. Clear as mud.

With Zeke's case on Monday it may make sense to roster both McFadden and Morriss for a couple of weeks.

Errrr...surprisingly quiet in here considering all Zeke owners could possibly lose this guy for six weeks today.

Is everyone cowering in a corner somewhere?

This feels an awful lot like the panel is in doubt of NFL's claim of irreparable harm (which is necessary to stay the injunction):

"Kessler said the NFL never went for an emergency stay in Brady case & he played all season. So where was irreparable harm done to CBA?"

The judges asked if the NFL didn't undermine its argument on irreparable harm by letting Zekr play Week 1 b4 preliminary injunction issued

Elrod asked NFL lawyer Pratik Shah how do you satisfy irreparable harm? Judge Prado noted Zeke can't get games back if serves 6 games now.

The judges questioned if it's normal for NFL process not to include investigators' recommendations

This feels an awful lot like the panel is in doubt of NFL's claim of irreparable harm (which is necessary to stay the injunction):

"Kessler said the NFL never went for an emergency stay in Brady case & he played all season. So where was irreparable harm done to CBA?"

The judges asked if the NFL didn't undermine its argument on irreparable harm by letting Zekr play Week 1 b4 preliminary injunction issued

Elrod asked NFL lawyer Pratik Shah how do you satisfy irreparable harm? Judge Prado noted Zeke can't get games back if serves 6 games now.

The judges questioned if it's normal for NFL process not to include investigators' recommendations

And these questions give the impression that the panel is in doubt that the NFLPA had the legal right to file their lawsuit preemptively in TX (which would invalidate the injunction entirely):

Judge Elrod asked about Elliott claim that needed to file in Texas: "why is this futile if u can make arguments in New York?"

Judge Elrod zeroed in: "Why did Elliott and NFLPA not file here After arbitration decision announced?"

Key question from panel to Zeke/NFLPA side: "Has any court accepted argument a lawsuit can be filed before arbitrator issues decision?"

Judges questioned if a court had ever allowed suit to be filed before arbitration decision. Kessler said he's not aware of case like this; Elrod pushed Elliott lawyer Jeffrey Kessler on jurisdiction issue: u need to address. Our binding precedent controls it.

But this is the most important tweet of the day:

The 3-judge panel peppered both sides with a lot of questions, particularly Jennifer Walker Elrod.

The point being that the panel questioned both sides.  You can pick & choose which questions you want to focus on, but we still have no idea which way they're leaning.  If they decide that the district court judge had no jurisdiction to issue a ruling (since the suit was filed prematurely), the injunction is invalidated, even if the panel agrees with the rational behind his decision.  In that event, the NFL's suit in Southern NY should take over.  At that point, we'd see how serious the NFL is about the delaying of the suspension doing "irreparable harm."  They would almost have to begin enforcing it right away, otherwise they are completely undermining their claim that irreparable harm would be done to the league by not being allowed to do so.

How did you guys miss this one?:

Judge Elrod in particular pushed the NFLPA on the issue of jurisdiction. She questioned why the NFLPA filed suit in Texas prior to the conclusion of Elliott's underlying appeal to arbitrator Harold Henderson, as well as why they needed to file the suit in Texas rather than New York. (Kessler told the judges that if a bulldozer is coming toward you, "You don't have to wait to be run over" before doing something about it.)

:lmao:

Can't imagine them overruling, still on for the long haul. 

How did you guys miss this one?:

Judge Elrod in particular pushed the NFLPA on the issue of jurisdiction. She questioned why the NFLPA filed suit in Texas prior to the conclusion of Elliott's underlying appeal to arbitrator Harold Henderson, as well as why they needed to file the suit in Texas rather than New York. (Kessler told the judges that if a bulldozer is coming toward you, "You don't have to wait to be run over" before doing something about it.)

:lmao:

Can't imagine them overruling, still on for the long haul. 
See, the thing about legal proceedings is that being a smart ### doesn't always score as many points as it does on a FFmessage board.  Pretty sure the judge was asking for a legitimate legal basis for the premature filing, not a ridiculous non sequitur.

That's just it...Judge Mazzant had ZERO authority to grant Zeke's injunction. He did it, quite simply because he is in Texas and Zeke plays for the Cowboys. He should have not even heard the case. As the NFL attorney said, they could not find one single case in the history of arbitration rulings, where a judge even accepted a filing before the reward was given out.

That's just it...Judge Mazzant had ZERO authority to grant Zeke's injunction. He did it, quite simply because he is in Texas and Zeke plays for the Cowboys. He should have not even heard the case. As the NFL attorney said, they could not find one single case in the history of arbitration rulings, where a judge even accepted a filing before the reward was given out.
The judge isn't even a Cowboys fan.

Am I wrong in my understanding?  Part of this decision is that the NFL has to prove that Zeke playing constitutes irreparable harm, correct?  Regardless of whether they decide that NFLPA filed too early, without the irreparable harm facet, this thing goes nowhere, I believe.  

Am I wrong in my understanding?  Part of this decision is that the NFL has to prove that Zeke playing constitutes irreparable harm, correct?  Regardless of whether they decide that NFLPA filed too early, without the irreparable harm facet, this thing goes nowhere, I believe.  
I have not followed this closely, but I believe if it is determined this was filed prematurely, the Injunction is lifted.  If this matter was not yet ripe to be heard by the Court, you never get to the question of irreparable harm.

That's what I understand.

Tex

I have not followed this closely, but I believe if it is determined this was filed prematurely, the Injunction is lifted.  If this matter was not yet ripe to be heard by the Court, you never get to the question of irreparable harm.
okay.  That makes sense.

The jurisdiction issue takes precedent.  If the injunction is vacated due to jurisdictional issues EZE reverts back to suspension status and they would have to seek a new injunction.

BigTex said:
That's what I understand.

Tex
Pretty sure you're mistaken.  If the judge didn't have the authority to hear the case, the NFL doesn't have to prove irreparable harm, since the injunction becomes nullified.

Hankmoody said:
The jurisdiction issue takes precedent.  If the injunction is vacated due to jurisdictional issues EZE reverts back to suspension status and they would have to seek a new injunction.
Which they would do immediately, right?

I think this entire case has flipped.  I think we went from 70/30 change he plays all year to 30/70.

WallachLegal has stopped predicting a Zeke win since 9/11/17, he's been real quiet on giving input.

Which they would do immediately, right?
I think immediate enforcement of the suspension depends on how late in the week a ruling is made.  The League established a precedent by voluntarily allowing Zeke to play Week 1, claiming that in deference to the team they chose not to enforce a suspension so late in the practice and game planning week, and deviating now from that earlier precedent might hurt the League's argument down the road on the issue of irreparable harm.

Zeke would immediately seek a new injunction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think immediate enforcement of the suspension depends on how late in the week a ruling is made.  The League established a precedent by voluntarily allowing Zeke to play Week 1, claiming that in deference to the team they chose not to enforce a suspension so late in the practice and game planning week, and deviating now from that earlier precedent might hurt the League's argument down the road on the issue of irreparable harm.

Zeke would immediately seek a new injunction.
You may be right, but I'm not completely sure.

The League has said that delaying their right to suspend players is causing "irreparable harm;"  it would stand to reason that they might feel that they need to immediately suspend Zeke, in order to give some weight to that claim (if it should arise in the future).

I think it's hard to predict what will happen in the courts AND what the NFL will do. 

You may be right, but I'm not completely sure.

The League has said that delaying their right to suspend players is causing "irreparable harm;"  it would stand to reason that they might feel that they need to immediately suspend Zeke, in order to give some weight to that claim (if it should arise in the future).

I think it's hard to predict what will happen in the courts AND what the NFL will do. 
Fair point, and I agree it is very unpredictable.  Typically, I would agree that the League best advances their argument of irreparable harm by immediately suspending Zeke; however, they must still reconcile their decision now with their earlier decision to voluntarily delay the suspension, as it will be a key point argued before the Court.  Perhaps they justify taking a different approach based on the fact that there is now a Final Arbitration Decision, which was not in place at the time they voluntarily delayed the suspension earlier.  Who knows?  And of course all of this hinges on what this Court does.

Fair point, and I agree it is very unpredictable.  Typically, I would agree that the League best advances their argument of irreparable harm by immediately suspending Zeke; however, they must still reconcile their decision now with their earlier decision to voluntarily delay the suspension, as it will be a key point argued before the Court.  Perhaps they justify taking a different approach based on the fact that there is now a Final Arbitration Decision, which was not in place at the time they voluntarily delayed the suspension earlier.  Who knows?  And of course all of this hinges on what this Court does.
and it also hinges on if Zeke doesn't appeal if it goes against him. Even if he loses I don't think Zeke will just roll over and surrender. I think people are kidding themselves if they think Zeke will just accept the suspension and not continue to fight it.

and it also hinges on if Zeke doesn't appeal if it goes against him. Even if he loses I don't think Zeke will just roll over and surrender. I think people are kidding themselves if they think Zeke will just accept the suspension and not continue to fight it.
If this goes against Zeke, he will immediately seek relief.  The only way I see that possibly changing is if Zeke were to suffer an injury in the meantime, in which case he would want the suspension time tolling while this sorts out.

Of course he’ll continue to fight it; but if the court rules that the TX judge had no authority b/c the NFLPA filed their suit prematurely, the case would go to the southern NY district, where the NFL filed, AFTER they had ruled.  That court is viewed as being much less likely to favor Zeke, which should cause his suspension to begin, WHILE he continues to fight.

If this goes against Zeke, he will immediately seek relief.  The only way I see that possibly changing is if Zeke were to suffer an injury in the meantime, in which case he would want the suspension time tolling while this sorts out.
Seeking relief, and getting it (especially from the NY courts) are two separate things.

Seeking relief and getting it are two separate things in any court.
Yes, but my point is that IF (big if) the 5th rules the TX district court judge didn’t have the authority to rule, the NFL’s suit, to have their judgement upheld (which was filed properly), would take over & the southern NY district is viewed as being more favorable for the NFL.  He could try to get an injunction from them, but if he failed, his suspension would start, even though he was still fighting it in court.

Yes, but my point is that IF (big if) the 5th rules the TX district court judge didn’t have the authority to rule, the NFL’s suit, to have their judgement upheld (which was filed properly), would take over & the southern NY district is viewed as being more favorable for the NFL.  He could try to get an injunction from them, but if he failed, his suspension would start, even though he was still fighting it in court.
Zeke would seek an injunction.  I have no idea how that would be decided.  The issue of "irreparable harm" favors Zeke; however, he must also convince a judge that he will ultimately prevail on the merits of his claim, and that could be where he fails in the NY Courts based on earlier precedent.

The suspension would not have to wait until Zeke failed to get an injunction.  It could start immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread