What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (5 Viewers)

Fwiw (and I picked up McFadden last week when the decision was maybe going to break...) as I understand it, EE can get a stay on the decision pending appeal, and then if that fails he can await the decision on appeal, then he can file for injunction in SDNY. So he's sort of standing where the NFL was a couple weeks ago.
Do you think this process can last through this season?

7 minutes after rofl. Sorry dude
Nah I dropped him yesterday for Funchess to start for Diggs. If Diggs was healthy I'd still have Morris. Considering dropping Crowell or Collins for him... but I don'tthink Morris is that good TBH

Fwiw (and I picked up McFadden last week when the decision was maybe going to break...) as I understand it, EE can get a stay on the decision pending appeal, and then if that fails he can await the decision on appeal, then he can file for injunction in SDNY. So he's sort of standing where the NFL was a couple weeks ago.
So he can play week 7 with this appeal in place? This is crazy. 

Rotoworld updated their take on the situation:

If Elliott's suspension actually does take hold for Week 7, Alfred Morris and Darren McFadden would likely form a committee. Morris is probably the slightly better add. The truth is, there is zero clarity.
Pretty much.

How does the NFL do this stuff to themselves? So messed up.
Keep in mind, the NFLPA agreed to this for more money. No one to blame but themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah I dropped him yesterday for Funchess to start for Diggs. If Diggs was healthy I'd still have Morris. Considering dropping Crowell or Collins for him... but I don'tthink Morris is that good TBH

So he can play week 7 with this appeal in place? This is crazy. 
No, as of now, the suspension has been reinstated.  The legal ruling that had prevented the NFL from enforcing it is void.

Zeke can appeal in the SDNY for another stay/TRO to allow him to play while the court case is pending.  Some people believe he is likely to get that, some do not.  This is the same circuit that ruled against Brady (eventually).  That decision effectively said that Goodell can do pretty much what he wants with regards to player discipline, BECAUSE the NFLPA gave him that power in the CBA.  This makes it very questionable as to whether Zeke is likely to win his suit, which is one of the requirements for a stay/TRO.  If the court doesn't think he has a chance to win (and their own circuit court's ruling makes it unlikely that he'll win), they might not grant the stay/TRO.  This is why the NFLPA tried to cheat and file their suit early in the TX court where they thought (rightly so) they'd get a biased judge who'd rule in their favor.

Judge assigned to NFL’s suit in NY is Katherine Polk Failia, an Obama appointee.
Is this good or bad news for Zeke getting an injunction or possibly playing this season out? I just got offered Zeke, Hopkins, and Jax D for Hunt in a full pt ppr league. Not sure what to do.

Depending how lucky you've been with the ww this year you might be better off leaving this situation alone. Right now in ppr I wouldn't drop a McKinnon, McGuire, Kamara, Ellington, etcetera for the gamble of Dallas backup. 

The line isn't as good as last year and if they split work it could be an unpleasant situation for owners.

Is this good or bad news for Zeke getting an injunction or possibly playing this season out? I just got offered Zeke, Hopkins, and Jax D for Hunt in a full pt ppr league. Not sure what to do> 
Not sure about her rulings on labor law; that's what is really relevant.  IMO it doesn't really matter if she was appointed by a Dem or Rep.

Is this good or bad news for Zeke getting an injunction or possibly playing this season out? I just got offered Zeke, Hopkins, and Jax D for Hunt in a full pt ppr league. Not sure what to do> 
a dem appointee would probably be better for labor, so might help zeke

To my eyes, Morris looked lighter and quicker than he has in the past. At one point this preseason he was leading the league in PFF's elusiveness rating. McFadden looked kinda done to me. He can run in a straight line and catch, I guess. But McFadden wasn't getting the edge really, wasn't making anyone miss, and was down on first contact.
Here's some of his touches from the preseason. The vid is kind of choppy at points but there's nothing I can do about it. He doesn't look washed to me. For example, CJ looked objectively washed, I really can't say the same about DMC although it's only preseason.

How does the NFL do this stuff to themselves? So messed up.
I really can't say. I posted this article a while back, it's dated but it was from back when the Mazzant decision was in waiting.

If the Elliott case is relocated to the Southern District of New York, the Brady decision would serve as binding precedent on it. Among other things, the Brady decision instructs judges that they are barred from reading new process rights into a CBA that the CBA doesn’t express. From a practical standpoint, Elliott would almost certainly lose to the NFL if forced to litigate in the Southern District of New York.
- That's by Michael McCann. But like Irish says "who knows" because sometimes what happens is judges just fit the reasoning to fit their desired conclusion. I know some won't like that comment but that's the way it works sometimes.

I don't think this will last all year. If EE/NFLPA lose in SDNY I think EE at least chucks in the towel and takes his suspension. But if he wins all bets are off.

If there is no further appeal, the case has to be remanded to Mazzant, then he has to dismiss it, then the case gets picked up in SDNY. I think once it's there if EE is denied he's done.

Depending how lucky you've been with the ww this year you might be better off leaving this situation alone. Right now in ppr I wouldn't drop a McKinnon, McGuire, Kamara, Ellington, etcetera for the gamble of Dallas backup. 

The line isn't as good as last year and if they split work it could be an unpleasant situation for owners.
Dropped Mckinnon for DMC, Don't feel good about it, but need something, been devastated by injuries

Some guys are not worth dropping on this back field. I dropped Gallman only because his schedule is brutal next two weeks/bye and there offense lost a their weapons.

Some guys are not worth dropping on this back field. I dropped Gallman only because his schedule is brutal next two weeks/bye and there offense lost a their weapons.

Isn't that good news for PPR leagues? Tons of dump off pass since their WRs suck

I picked up DMC in two leagues. Alf was available in both. 

We may have note clarity before next Sunday, but we should assume that we won't. My advice is go with your gut. If you have space for both, go for it. Otherwise just pick one and hope it works out.

I wouldn't say that. I didn't read all of his tweets but I do remember him predicting Mazzant would grant the TRO and injunction which he did.
That is correct.  But he seems to ignore whatever doesn't fit his preconceived notion of what will happen.  IMO, the SDNY is going to find the 2nd circuit's ruling in the brady case last year as more instructive than a voided decision of a judge in a different federal district.  The 2nd circuit found that  the lower court's vacation of the suspension based on "fundamental unfairness" was wrong.  Specifically, they said "even if an arbitrator makes mistakes of fact or law, we may not disturb an award so long as he acted within the bounds of his bargained-for authority."  They went on to say Goodell has extremely broad powers under the CBA.

Yet Wallach thinks that this circuit court's decision that Goodell can make factual mistakes (like ignoring evidence) or legal mistakes (not allowing Zeke to face his accuser) but if he acts within the bounds of his authority, they can't over-rule him is less important than a TX district judge saying otherwise?  If the district court rules in favor of Zeke, that case will go before this same circuit court.  Why would they decide differently this time?  They've already ruled & that precedent will likely be more instructive than Mazzant's nullified ruling.

The NFL will likely oppose that move.  From what I understand, there's no legal basis to change courts.  The NFL filed properly in SDNY, there's not a legitimate reason for the case to be moved.  If it was, that would definitely bode well for Zeke.  He'd likely get another TRO & since this time it would have been obtained properly, he should be available to play the rest of the season.

ETA-Wallach went on to tweet that it wasn't likely to succeed.

According to @WALLACHLEGAL it's likely we'll have an oral hearing in Southern District of New York before next week's game at San Francisco.

The NFL will likely oppose that move.  From what I understand, there's no legal basis to change courts.  The NFL filed properly in SDNY, there's not a legitimate reason for the case to be moved.  If it was, that would definitely bode well for Zeke.  He'd likely get another TRO & since this time it would have been obtained properly, he should be available to play the rest of the season.
Well. Wallach himself responded to his own tweet with "Possible but not likely".

According to @WALLACHLEGAL it's likely we'll have an oral hearing in Southern District of New York before next week's game at San Francisco.
Keep in mind the appeal order has to get to Mazzant by remand, then he has to sign the dismissal. I think that's how it works. Then SDNY would get jurisdiction as soon as EE files something there. Then there has to be a hearing scheduled. Then the court has to rule with enough time for EE to play Week 7, presuming they rule for him. That could be a TRO. With a later hearing that follows that. So McFadden/Morris owners who have been holding may have to wait another 2 weeks to use them. Also keep in mind no one really knows how the backfield will shake out so you might want to wait at least one more game to see if your player is worth starting. Lots of waiting and patience needed.

Is the final option for Zeke? If SDNY rejects or turns down or won't give an injunction will there be any other options left for Zeke's team to try? I know nothing about legal affairs and court room happenings. I'm only trying to figure out if it's worth the risk to trade Hunt, Thielen, and Atl D for Zeke, Hopkins, and Jax D when my other rb's are Martin, Kamara, and Lynch so I could get by until Zeke gets back if I had to. 

I don't see any good reason why the Cowboys would go from making McFadden a healthy scratch for over a quarter of the season, and then throw him into the lead back role. Morris doesn't play special teams, and clearly looked better in the preseason than DMac. It isn't as if they thought a handful of carries over the course of the first 5 games was going to seriously jeopardize McFadden's health so they didn't dress him. You always want to bring your top backup to the game on Sundays. Especially given the fact that Morris ripped off a 70 yard run recently as well. DMac missed almost all of last year, has been a scratch this year, looked stiff as a board in the preseason... I just don't see it.

Keep in mind the appeal order has to get to Mazzant by remand, then he has to sign the dismissal. I think that's how it works. Then SDNY would get jurisdiction as soon as EE files something there. Then there has to be a hearing scheduled. Then the court has to rule with enough time for EE to play Week 7, presuming they rule for him. That could be a TRO. With a later hearing that follows that. So McFadden/Morris owners who have been holding may have to wait another 2 weeks to use them. Also keep in mind no one really knows how the backfield will shake out so you might want to wait at least one more game to see if your player is worth starting. Lots of waiting and patience needed.
The SDNY already has jurisdiction; the NFL already filed to have the courts uphold their ruling as soon as they made it.  That case is now the issue.  The NFLPA can file an appeal of the decision in SDNY (and they will), but as of right now, Zeke is suspended.  His TRO delaying the suspension has been voided & the NFL-imposed suspension should take effect immediately.  Until the case is resolved or he gets a stay/TRO, he is suspended.  If he gets a stay/TRO from SDNY, I don't see any way this case is resolved before the end of the season.  (But this case has twisted and turn in so many ways I didn't expect, that wouldn't surprise me, I guess)

Obviously, that doesn't impact week 6, b/c Dallas is on bye, but as of week 7, Zeke's 6 game suspension will begin for real, or he will be allowed to play under a TRO, likely for the remainder of the season.  Either DMC/Alf will have real value in week 7, or they will be all but worthless, save as handcuffs.

Users who are viewing this thread