What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (8 Viewers)

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
Zeke didn't need to be found guilty in a court of law. This allegation never made it past the accusation stage, because real investigators (not the NFL variety) realized pretty early on that this girl was lying and no charges were even brought on Elliott to begin with. That's much stronger than being found not guilty... that's saying that not only did the crime not even take place in the eyes of the investigators, but the accuser wasn't even credible enough to get Elliott arrested or charged, let alone convicted.
This post isn't remotely accurate. 

Every day, prosecutors decide not to press charges in cases where they are 100% convinced a crime was committed.  Literally every day.  The only thing that matters is what they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt, not what they think happened.

So not being charged is not at all equivalent to being considered not guilty.

espnespn said:
I seem to remember a player recently got suspended because an "independent report" (that was edited by the NFL before actually being released, and the NFL refused to say what they changed) said that player was "generally aware" of some equipment violation.

But all the Salty Haters were overjoyed that Brady got railroaded by Goodell.  Now the same thing is probably going to happen to your favorite team, and I can't stop laughing.  I think the Cowboys should also lose some draft picks because Jerry Jones was at least "generally aware" of Zeke's shenanigans.   :P

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/19/judge-berman-takes-aim-at-brady-being-generally-aware-in-wednesdays-hearing/

"Tom Curran of CSN New England reports that Berman “nodded vigorously” when NFLPA lawyer Jeffrey Kessler said that “player policies say you can’t be punished for being ‘generally aware,'” and that the judge later said that “general awareness” does not “relate to the Jan. 18 [AFC Championship] game.”

Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal adds that Berman called it a “quantum leap” to go from Brady being “generally aware” of ball deflation to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s reference to a “scheme” in his ruling on Brady’s suspension appeal."
Umm, no clue what you are talking about. Do you somehow think I like the Cowboys?  Or that this - Goodell being a train wreck - is a surprise to me now?

Evidently you've confused me with someone else because a) not a Cowboys fan - far from it - Green Bay season ticket holder, b) have been on the "Goodell is ruining the league" train for a long time now.

Some n00b with 140 posts who's contributing less than zero to the topic at hand. Don't bother engaging him and he'll either go away or lash out for attention badly enough to get banned. 
Easy people.  Not a noob with 140 posts, been here for years. I thought I would finally start posting this year, I enjoy the banter in these threads.  As far as contributing "less than zero"...again, take it easy.  I would agree that my post was in no way contributing anything to this thread.  I probably should have just said that there are so many opinions, by experts and non experts, that this topic is getting grating.  And so far, nobody is right or wrong...this situation is just totally stupid.

Judging to the responses to my post, there's also a bit of anger depending on if you own Elliot shares or not.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with my posts.  I though this was a place for discussion, regardless if others agree with your points or not.

Hopefully this saga will just end.

Have fun.

Update: Today's TRO hearing in the Ezekiel Elliott case will be held at 2:15 pm in Courtroom 14C (Judge Paul A. Crotty), 500 Pearl Street
Was just coming to post that. 2:15 EST - This ruling likely is Zeke's last chance from what I'm reading, as the 5th circuit en-banc? is out of the question now that he's choosing the NY path? Not sure if I'm right or interpreting the lingo correctly.

Was just coming to post that. 2:15 EST - This ruling likely is Zeke's last chance from what I'm reading, as the 5th circuit en-banc? is out of the question now that he's choosing the NY path? Not sure if I'm right or interpreting the lingo correctly.
Motion to recall mandate was denied but en banc review is still on the table but odds are against it. 

Deflating footballs and domestic violence aren't even in the same stratosphere. 
But here's the thing, what domestic violence? I know that there was a police investigation, and this investigation took place as a result. But I haven't seen anywhere where it explained what actually/allegedly happened. The only thing I've seen is "multiple accounts of violence during he week of...". But what did he do, exactly?

I guess my view on this whole predicament is suspicious because, to my knowledge, there hasn't been any actual evidence shown that would indicate something took place. In the situations of Greg Hardy, Josh Brown, and Ray Rice, we knew a whole lot more than what we do with this one. I'm still at a loss for what Zeke actually did to warrant a suspension.

Does someone have an article where the allegations of what he did is made clear?

LOL..an ambulance chaser looking for publicity.  Who gives a crap about what he says?  This is fake news.
I actually agree with JIMGET here.   Wallach’s blown sunshine for Zeke the entire time, getting our FF hopes up.   He’s like Zeke’s Fake News arm.  At some points acting like NFL didn’t have a leg to stand on, but all I’ve seen of him is a swing-and-miss takes on how the case would go. 

I actually agree with JIMGET here.   Wallach’s blown sunshine for Zeke the entire time, getting our FF hopes up.   He’s like Zeke’s Fake News arm.  At some points acting like NFL didn’t have a leg to stand on, but all I’ve seen of him is a swing-and-miss takes on how the case would go. 
He's not the only one, I've seen half the "legal experts" taking Zeke's side and half not.  At least he's giving up info and reasoning, and one of the few whose trying to make sense of document after document.  CBS also has a few legal experts that are pro Zeke winning as well.  We are only posting the half that think Zeke could win as some in here are curious about his chances for this year.

Ezekiel Elliott has a hearing in New York Tuesday afternoon regarding his request for a temporary restraining order.

We are as confused about all of this as you, but we think Elliott is pursuing an injunction similar to the one which allowed him to play the first five games, an injunction thrown out last week by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Even though the hearing is on Tuesday, it is unclear if Judge Paul A. Crotty will issue a ruling before Sunday's game against the 49ers. Elliott's outlook remains as clear as mud.
... how does he think he can win this? This was basically thrown out already, so you just change venue and play musical chairs? I initially thought he requested an en banc hearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
... how does he think he can win this? This was basically thrown out already, so you just change venue and play musical chairs? I initially thought he requested an en banc hearing.
He actually won his first bid for a TRO. However, it was vacated based on jurisdictional issues. The same arguments he used to secure his first TRO should be good for the second try as well. However, this is a different judge who has guidance from the 2nd Court of Appeals (Brady decision) and the 2 judges who have already sided with Zeke based on "fundamental fairness". Attorneys who like his chances put them at better than 50%. Some as high as 75% so I think its worth his time to try. 

BTW...hearing starts at 2:15. 

For live coverage of the Zeke Elliott TRO hearing, probably best to follow @ZachZagger, who should be in courtroom today with cell phone.

He actually won his first bid for a TRO. However, it was vacated based on jurisdictional issues. The same arguments he used to secure his first TRO should be good for the second try as well. However, this is a different judge who has guidance from the 2nd Court of Appeals (Brady decision) and the 2 judges who have already sided with Zeke based on "fundamental fairness". Attorneys who like his chances put them at better than 50%. Some as high as 75% so I think its worth his time to try. 
It is definitely worth his time to try for a TRO.  Although, financially speaking, if he is able to put the suspension off until next year, 6 games of his 2018 salary will cost him more than 6 games of his 2017 salary.

He wont the first injunction, from what I gather it was thrown out because he filed prematurely without exploring all avenues of appeal first?

This is summed up pretty well.  Fingers crossed for us Zeke owners who could use him this year.

well yes that's the whole point of a TRO - but was speaking more generally with this and Brady.
In this case it was an emergency hearing. To get one your case needs to meet certain criteria. Not sure about the exact list of criteria but I am assuming certain dollar amounts must be involved or certain parties needing immediate relief in a labor dispute.

If I am a betting man, I would say he does not get the TRO.

The only thing that has been consistent in this case is the rulings have been for and against Zeke along party lines.

So if I was forced to choose, Zeke takes a seat for 6 games right now and back for playoffs.

The NFLPA will then appeal to the 2nd circuit... Lose there too.

Zeke is then going to miss 6 games for not being charged with a crime and not being able to face his accuser in the hearing for his punishment. #Fairness

If I am a betting man, I would say he does not get the TRO.

The only thing that has been consistent in this case is the rulings have been for and against Zeke along party lines.

So if I was forced to choose, Zeke takes a seat for 6 games right now and back for playoffs.

The NFLPA will then appeal to the 2nd circuit... Lose there too.

Zeke is then going to miss 6 games for not being charged with a crime and not being able to face his accuser in the hearing for his punishment. #Fairness
This is how I see it playing out too.  Hope that Goodell gets some form of punishment down the road - in this life or another.

This post isn't remotely accurate. 

Every day, prosecutors decide not to press charges in cases where they are 100% convinced a crime was committed.  Literally every day.  The only thing that matters is what they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt, not what they think happened.

So not being charged is not at all equivalent to being considered not guilty.
Zeke was never even arrested. The police don't have to worry about whether they will be able to find him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in court in order to arrest him. They responded to the seen, they were given her account of what happened. Her own friend was able to prove that she was lying.... as she had just sent her a text asking her to lie about what happened when the police came. 

This is why no chargers were ever pressed as well. If she is willing to lie about what supposedly happened when she called 911.... why on earth would she then be credible when accusing him of abusing her on earlier occasions? You act like you expect the them to come out and with a statement in which they call her a liar. Of course they aren't going to say something like that. However, they did say just as much by not arresting him, not pressing charges, and citing "inconsistent information" in the case as the reason why. Inconsistent information would obviously be the fact that her story wasn't backed up by the evidence. That's the only possible reason that they would have had to not press charges. It isn't as if inconsistent information on Elliott's part would have prevented him from getting charged. 

In other words.... inconsistent information = lying  

Pete Brush‏ @PeteBrush 22s22 seconds ago
More
NFL atty saying Zeke's argument the he faces irreparable harm if suspended is a non-starter. But Judge Crotty is not convinced

In this case it was an emergency hearing. To get one your case needs to meet certain criteria. Not sure about the exact list of criteria but I am assuming certain dollar amounts must be involved or certain parties needing immediate relief in a labor dispute.
The money involved should be irrelevant.  The question is usually how quickly does the Court need to act to prevent harm that cannot be reversed and, to some extent, how quickly did you act in bringing it to the Court's attention.  And it may be impacted by how long the other side wants/needs to be able to respond.  So something could be filed on Monday but the other side will ask for a day to file a brief, submit a certification, or even just travel to be able to appear in Court.

Here, the Court's real deadline is the end of the week.  If it rules by Saturday, Zeke can play on Sunday.  The request for a ruling today is simply to make things easier on Zeke and the team.  But no action is required today.  

Contrast that to a situation where parents are in a custodial fight and the father has airline tickets to fly him and the children out of the Country at 4:00 today.  I can guarantee you that the Court will act immediately, at least on a temporary basis, before that deadline passes.

On the flip side, if you sue your neighbor to prevent them from discharging water from their gutters onto your land, the Court may not hold a hearing for 30, 60, or even 90 days because there is no immediate irreversible and irreparable harm.

Zeke was never even arrested. The police don't have to worry about whether they will be able to find him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in court in order to arrest him. They responded to the seen, they were given her account of what happened. Her own friend was able to prove that she was lying.... as she had just sent her a text asking her to lie about what happened when the police came. 

This is why no chargers were ever pressed as well. If she is willing to lie about what supposedly happened when she called 911.... why on earth would she then be credible when accusing him of abusing her on earlier occasions? You act like you expect the them to come out and with a statement in which they call her a liar. Of course they aren't going to say something like that. However, they did say just as much by not arresting him, not pressing charges, and citing "inconsistent information" in the case as the reason why. Inconsistent information would obviously be the fact that her story wasn't backed up by the evidence. That's the only possible reason that they would have had to not press charges. It isn't as if inconsistent information on Elliott's part would have prevented him from getting charged. 

In other words.... inconsistent information = lying  
Nothing you just said supports a conclusion that Elliott is not guilty of domestic violence.  Only that the legal standard of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt cannot be met.

Woah, the police never said the girl was lying.  They just said there was conflicting evidence.

""After reviewing the totality of the evidence, the City Attorney's Office, Prosecutor Division is declining to approve criminal charges in this matter for any of the (five) alleged incidents," the City Attorney's Office wrote in a release Tuesday. "This is primarily due to conflicting and inconsistent information across all incidents resulting in concern regarding the sufficiency of evidence to support the filing of criminal charges."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2016/09/06/ezekiel-elliott-domestic-violence-not-charged/89927890/

Btw, there was plenty of conflicting scientific evidence in Deflategate.  Didn't stop the Salty Haters who were positive that Brady deflated.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/21-scientists-say-tom-brady-is-right-and-the-nfl-is-wrong_us_5745fb9ce4b0dacf7ad3c55d
Inconsistent information means that the accusers story wasn't backed by the evidence. Which is a polite way of saying that she wasn't telling the truth. Elliot's information certainly wouldn't matter, because he is the one being accused. All that they would need is for her story to be backed up by the evidence. Clearly, it wasn't. Especially since she clearly asked one of her friends to lie to the police when they showed up, and her friend turned that evidence over to the police.

Nothing you just said supports a conclusion that Elliott is not guilty of domestic violence.  Only that the legal standard of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt cannot be met.
Yeah, and nothing that you can say would prove that you also aren't guilty of domestic violence. What's your point?

Yeah, and nothing that you can say would prove that you also aren't guilty of domestic violence. What's your point?
You can go back to my first reply to you to see my point: you're wrong to suggest no charges filed = not guilty. 

People that have committed crimes avoid being charged every day.

Users who are viewing this thread