What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (5 Viewers)

Looks like he plays this weekend.
I think it's more than just a postponement. With Mazzant's ruling overturned, if the NY ruling was just postponed, Zeke would be on the hook to start serving his suspension since the suspension would have been in effect without a ruling.

It looks like he was actually granted the temporary restraining order against the NFL, meaning he can play until it's overturned. Likely until the actually ruling judge gets back from vacation, but some are posturing this could take a few weeks to wade through before the TRO is lifted.

See you in two weeks!
This opens the door for the worst case scenario, purely from a fantasy perspective. It's possible the injunction lasts all season, but we're edging closer and where if the suspension comes into effect this season, he ends up being lost for the fantasy playoffs. Would be no bueno for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Wallach guy on twitter who has been all over this:

"Judge Crotty: NFLPA raised "significant issues" related to the fundamental fairness of the arbitration proceeding"

Can we put this judge in charge? He knows what's up and doesn't take vacations.

Think the longer this gets pushed back, the odds increase he plays all season.

These lawyers will come up with something.

This opens the door for the worst case scenario, purely from a fantasy perspective. It's possible the injunction lasts all season, but we're edging closer and where if the suspension comes into effect this season, he ends up being lost for the fantasy playoffs. Would be no bueno for sure.
Not really. We can use him until the suspension and get use out of his roster spot to boot. 

Now this is dragging on and my league mates that rushed to get his scrub backups have a dead roster spot ?

See you in two weeks!
Truly. The idea of adding DMC/Alf 2 weeks ago, wait 2 games, have this week, now EE is saved from the fire, wait another week... that's 3 games, and we still don't really know who would start in his absence, so wait another week to see how that plays out. Minimum 4 games, maybe 5-6, to see if your backup RB is startable if EE is out, if he's ever really "out".

Think it's important to note that this judge did not just pass this off because he couldn't make a decision. A strong opinion was made here. Cites irreparable damage.

Don't think he'd do this unless he felt the returning judge would feel the same.

need someone to outline the next steps... if the fallia guy comes back and sides with NFL... that is it right? suspended? if fallia sides with zeke... probably in the clear for this season?  high stakes here... i wonder if zeke owners would rather have his suspension start now to guarentee availability for fantasy playoffs?

need someone to outline the next steps... if the fallia guy comes back and sides with NFL... that is it right? suspended? if fallia sides with zeke... probably in the clear for this season?  high stakes here... i wonder if zeke owners would rather have his suspension start now to guarentee availability for fantasy playoffs?
FYI it's a Lady Judge.

Think it's important to note that this judge did not just pass this off because he couldn't make a decision. A strong opinion was made here. Cites irreparable damage.

Don't think he'd do this unless he felt the returning judge would feel the same.
Yup. Not a lawyer here but the judge specifically called out "irreparable harm" to Zeke.

That seems judgeish for "this is some bull####, Goddell".

I'm debating trading for Zeke but I fear I'd need to become a lawyer first.
This is looking more and more like its in the bag. 

The judge today saw things exactly like Zeke wanted him to and this was in big bad SDNY, Goodell's home field. 

He acknowledged that Zeke was not given the opportunity to confront the accusing witness and called it significant because there were substantial questions regarding her credibility. He also couldn't question Goodell whether he was aware the his accuser was not credible.

Further (and Bayhawks please pay attention), the judge says that the NFL contends that "fundamental fairness" does not apply given CA2's ruling in the Brady case. To this the judge flatly says "That is quite wrong". Strong statement and this is the 3rd judge that has said this. 

Like to see more from Wallach on this but I am betting he's feeling this is in the bag for Zeke playing all season.

The judge today saw things exactly like Zeke wanted him to and this was in big bad SDNY, Goodell's home field. 

He acknowledged that Zeke was not given the opportunity to confront the accusing witness and called it significant because there were substantial questions regarding her credibility. He also couldn't question Goodell whether he was aware the his accuser was not credible.

Further (and Bayhawks please pay attention), the judge says that the NFL contends that "fundamental fairness" does not apply given CA2's ruling in the Brady case. To this the judge flatly says "That is quite wrong". Strong statement and this is the 3rd judge that has said this. 

Like to see more from Wallach on this but I am betting he's feeling this is in the bag for Zeke playing all season.
I like the cut of your jib.

Wasn't it a "fill in" judge instead of the real one?  And the stay is only for 14 days until he has to plead his case again.

I still cannot believe this guy is getting these stays.  He must be bribing someone.

Hilariously we don't even know how long this order lasts. It can't last past October 30th but it could be ended sooner. The Redskins Week 8 game is on the 29th, so EE could play Week 8 and have the hearing on Monday the 30th.... or he could have his hearing the week before the Redskins game, and then wait a week or so for a decision. 

This scheduling depends on when the judge gets back from her vacation. Yup.

Wasn't it a "fill in" judge instead of the real one?  And the stay is only for 14 days until he has to plead his case again.

I still cannot believe this guy is getting these stays.  He must be bribing someone.
Having read the way the NFL/Gooddell went about this and the language the judges are using it seems all good.

Surprised it's moving this fast. The wheels of justice turn slow!

As a Dallas fan, you've got to hope he serves this thing sometime this season. We'll be better in 2018.

They could be really tough to beat next year & get home field advantage if everyone is available.

Daniel Wallach‏ @WALLACHLEGAL  2m2 minutes ago

More

This is more than just a place-holder opinion. Now 3 judges have weighed in on 'fundamental fairness', and all 3 have sided with the NFLPA.

Don't see vacation judge overturning this.

Having read the way the NFL/Gooddell went about this and the language the judges are using it seems all good.

Surprised it's moving this fast. The wheels of justice turn slow!
Yes. And Crotty's opinion and ruling matter. Different judges see things in different ways but these 3 opinions will serve to advise Failla (who may just let Crotty's ruling stand) and/or CA2 when the NFL inevitably files their appeal. No matter what you might think about Zeke or his guilt, he was treated unfairly during his arbitration and its good to see the courts not letting Goodell get away with this.

Not in the bag, but definitely a positive for Zeke.

Havent has a chance to read the TRO, but I’ve heard some sites are saying this can’t be appealed, which is surprising; will look forward to looking into that.

Would have been better for Zeke if there wasn’t a deadline on this TRO, and there is a risk of the suspension being enacted in a few weeks & thus running into the FF playoffs.  Given this decision, I’d be surprised if another SDNY judge essentially reversed this decision by not issuing another TRO. Of course, I am surprised by this decision, so don’t go by me.

That being said (and ourmanflint please pay attention), this happened in the Brady case.  The district judge improperly interferes in the arbitration process, citing fundamental unfairness, and the 2nd said they were wrong to do so.  If I were a betting man (& I’m not), I’d bet on the NFL winning this when they appeal to the 2nd. Fortunately for Zeke owners, that is much more likely to come after the 2017 season.

Few things, first...this went the way of the opposite of what most thought. Second, some people here continue and continue to be wrong in this case and yet they continue to share their opinion. lol Crazy. I'm glad Bayhawks is betting on the NFL again, his track records has been subpar at best shall we say regarding the results of this.

With everything in mind, where do you stand on Morris and McFadden? I think I'm keeping my bid on McFadden alive for tonight's waivers. Better to burn an extra roster spot for a couple of weeks than to be left without...says the guy who's had most of his key players already have their byes.

At some point they have to consider the true Worst-Worst-Case scenario: having to serve a six-game suspension when there are only 5 games left in the season. That would mean his suspension would carry over to the first game of next year, and he'd be ineligible for the real NFL playoffs in the interim.

I have to feel Zeke and the Cowboys will have to cut things at some point just to make sure that doesn't happen.
From the player's perspective - there is a bigger issue involved here than Zeke missing 6 games.  Its probably worth fighting for - even on the NFL's home turf.

With everything in mind, where do you stand on Morris and McFadden? I think I'm keeping my bid on McFadden alive for tonight's waivers. Better to burn an extra roster spot for a couple of weeks than to be left without...says the guy who's had most of his key players already have their byes.
I was able to snag McFadden in 2 of 3 leagues where I own Zeke, and I'm holding onto him until this is settled. 

As someone who grabbed DMC in two leagues, this is incredibly annoying. Now I have to hold on to him for at least two more weeks, through byes, with no guarantee he'll even get a crack at the starting job if Zeke wins his appeal. (And even if DMC does get a shot, it's still only 50/50 that he even is the starter).

Yes. And Crotty's opinion and ruling matter. Different judges see things in different ways but these 3 opinions will serve to advise Failla (who may just let Crotty's ruling stand) and/or CA2 when the NFL inevitably files their appeal. No matter what you might think about Zeke or his guilt, he was treated unfairly during his arbitration and its good to see the courts not letting Goodell get away with this.
Crotty didn't really issue an opinion though. This is a non-ruling. He basically just said,"i'm going to let Failla sort this out when she's back."

It's anyone's guess how crotty would have ruled today if he had actually made a ruling.

I don't know what more I can say.  You have demonstrated a fundamental misunderstanding of the criminal justice system.  I have tried to illuminate and correct your misconceptions, but you don't seem to be listening.
You can start by explaining how you came to this conclusion....

Davearm said:

" In all likelihood, the criminal investigators probably believe that Elliott *did* commit a crime"

Then, you followed that up by saying that you didn't have any specific information about this case. I found that to be pretty interesting. You also seem to be arguing with yourself about that fact that many people commit crimes and are never charged or convicted of those crimes. I don't understand why you keep going back to that generalization and act like I disagree with that obvious, well known fact... but you keep doing it nonetheless. Want to hear another fact? People are also accused of crimes of which they aren't guilty. 

I would also suggest that you go read up on the specific information on this case, which is readily available all over the internet. That way, you can have specific information about the case before you draw conclusions on the mindset of the investigators. 

Crotty didn't really issue an opinion though. This is a non-ruling. He basically just said,"i'm going to let Failla sort this out when she's back."

It's anyone's guess how crotty would have ruled today if he had actually made a ruling.
He did issue an opinion. A very strong one albeit not very long. Many who have followed this case do not believe it will be changed by Failla. He clearly was not phased by the CA2 Brady ruling and, in fact, he stated that their ruling did not "foreclose judicial review" of arbitration decisions. 

@WALLACHLEGAL

This is more than just a place-holder opinion. Now 3 judges have weighed in on 'fundamental fairness', and all 3 have sided with the NFLPA.

That being said (and ourmanflint please pay attention), this happened in the Brady case.  The district judge improperly interferes in the arbitration process, citing fundamental unfairness, and the 2nd said they were wrong to do so.  If I were a betting man (& I’m not), I’d bet on the NFL winning this when they appeal to the 2nd. Fortunately for Zeke owners, that is much more likely to come after the 2017 season.
Again, this is a completely different scenario and Crotty said as much in his 4 page ruling. CA2 never foreclosed on judicial review of arbitration cases and fundamental fairness does apply to NFL arbitration. 3 judges have clearly said so. 

@bdunndunn (Retweeted by Daniel Wallach)

As @WALLACHLEGAL has gone into, key issue is exclusion of collateral witness (Pash) vs primary witness/investigator notes/Goodell knowledge
https://twitter.com/bdunndunn/status/920472066209472512

3 federal judges disagree with your assessment that the 2 cases are the same.

You can start by explaining how you came to this conclusion....

Davearm said:

" In all likelihood, the criminal investigators probably believe that Elliott *did* commit a crime"

Then, you followed that up by saying that you didn't have any specific information about this case. I found that to be pretty interesting. You also seem to be arguing with yourself about that fact that many people commit crimes and are never charged or convicted of those crimes. I don't understand why you keep going back to that generalization and act like I disagree with that obvious, well known fact... but you keep doing it nonetheless. Want to hear another fact? People are also accused of crimes of which the aren't guilty. 

I would also suggest that you go read up on the specific information on this case, which is readily available all over the internet. That way, you can have specific information about the case before you draw conclusions on the mindset of the investigators. 
The evidence against Elliott is documented in the NFL's letter to Elliott informing him of his suspension.  Surely the prosecutors had access to the same information (and possibly more).  That leads me to believe that they very likely agree with the NFL's conclusion that Elliott committed DV -- even though they chose not to file charges.

Meanwhile you have stated that the absence of criminal charges is definitive proof that Elliott is innocent, and that everyone who investigated the criminal case must think he's innocent.  I think that's laughable and naive.  But I'm long past expecting to change your mind on it.  Clearly you're entrenched in your view here.

Users who are viewing this thread