What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (4 Viewers)

Gurley made the leap to the NFL like he was born to it.   Richardson made the leap to the NFL like he was entitled to it.   Which will Elliott be?   Those minor character red flags may end up being minor,  or they could be indicative of an entitled man child getting mad when he lost and partying hard when they won. You can speculate and you can watch film and you can defend him all day,  but you don't know. 

Is Elliott on the same tier as Gurley?  It remains to be seen.  But if you can trade him and something reasonable for Gurley I think you're crazy not to because the chasm isn't between his potential and Gurley"s (which still favora Gurley imo).  It's between Elliott"s potential and Gurley"s.actual performance in the NFL
Say you had the #1 and #4 rookie picks......

Quoting  Bob McGinn:

RUNNING BACKS1. EZEKIEL ELLIOTT, Ohio State (5-11 ½, 227, 4.48, 1): Third-year junior. "He is the only one with all the traits," said one scout. "He's got a chance to be the best player in the draft. He, (Joey) Bosa, (Laremy) Tunsil. He can catch it, he can pass protect, he's got NFL size and he can run. If he stays healthy he's going to be a (Adrian) Peterson-type back." Smartest RB in years (32 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test). "Football intelligence might be the best thing he has," another scout said. "He goes to the sidelines and tells the coaches the block protections. The coaches tell me he tells them what to do. To me, your intelligence is your blocking." Finished with 592 carries for 3,961 yards (OSU-record 6.7-yard average) and 43 touchdowns. Also caught 58 passes for 449. Played behind Carlos Hyde in 2013 before breaking out as a sophomore. Has undergone surgery twice on his left wrist. "Zeke just has the NFL mentality," said one scout. "Love the kid as a football player." From St. Louis.

BY BOB MCGINNMilwaukee Journal Sentinel

GREEN BAY, WIS. 

If it takes unique traits for a running back to attract some attention in today's pass-dominated NFL, Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott and Alabama's Derrick Henry deserve a long, early look.

Not only is Elliott possibly the most complete rookie runner in a decade, he belongs well up among the rushing immortals in more than 125 years of football at Ohio State.

"With all due respect to all the other running backs in Ohio State history, my first-round draft pick, I'd take Zeke Elliott," Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer said after Elliott capped his three-year career with a four-touchdown outburst against Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

Since the devaluation of ball carriers began to set in, just six backs have been selected in the first round over the last five drafts. Two played for coach Nick Saban at Alabama, Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson, whereas two more, Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon, departed Tuscaloosa as second-round choices.

Now comes Henry, the biggest of the Crimson Tide's assembly line of big backs and potentially the best.

"Ezekiel Elliott could play for every team in the league," said Phil Savage, analyst on the Alabama radio network since 2009 and executive director of the Senior Bowl. "Derrick Henry is not for every team in the league.

"He's for the team that has somewhat of an established O-line and a team that's willing to give him the ball from the I-formation or the Pistol where he gets some depth and can get started.

"If he gets to the right team, I'd put him first among those five backs. If he goes to the wrong team, he might be fifth."

ADVERTISING

Several personnel people said Elliott was the best back to enter the NFL since Adrian Peterson in 2007 largely because he has no weaknesses.

"Don't resist, just take him," one scout said. "He belongs in the top 10, maybe the top half dozen. He's got the whole package."

This is the 15th spring that the Journal Sentinel has been polling personnel people before the draft. In that time, five running backs have been unanimous picks as the best at the position.

Elliott became the fifth in a vote of 19 scouts. Other unanimous picks were Reggie Bush (2006), Peterson, Richardson ('12) and Lacy ('13).

With a first-place vote worth five points and so on, Elliott totaled the maximum 95 points to beat Henry, whose 74 points included 17 second-place votes and two thirds.

Following, in order, were Devontae Booker (42), Kenneth Dixon (22), Jordan Howard (10), Alex Collins (nine), C.J. Prosise (nine), Kenyan Drake (8 1/2), Paul Perkins (7 1/2), Jonathan Williams (three), Josh Ferguson (two) and Aaron Green, Tre Madden and Kelvin Taylor, one each.

"I keep hearing that running backs aren't a priority," one scout said. "Well, if you don't have one you have a problem."

Of Ohio State's 13 running backs and three fullbacks selected in the first round since the draft was inaugurated in 1936, Archie Griffin is the only one to exceed Elliott's total of 3,961 yards. Eddie George, who often is compared to Henry, is third with 3,768.

"This guy's the best there since George," an NFC personnel director said. "He's what you want. He's a bell cow."

Elliott runs, catches and blocks equally well and at an elite level, but what really sets him apart is brainpower.

He scored 32 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. The average score of the first running backs taken in the last 10 drafts was 17.2.

Other than Steven Jackson, the first back off the board in 2004 who scored 28, almost none of the leading backs have even approached Elliott's score in the last 15 years.

"They rave about him," another NFC personnel chief said of the coaches at Ohio State. "Not many college backs are really good in protection. He really is (special)."

Elliott likes to party and the college life. "You worry about him missing meetings and staying out all night," an AFC scout said. "He's an alpha male."

After losing, 17-14, to Michigan State in late November, Elliott became a lightning rod for criticism by publicly taking note of play-calling that gave him two carries in the second half. "Maybe he was right," another scout said, laughing.

After interviewing Elliott, one personnel director said, "He's direct, honest, thoughtful. I can see why he's so good."

Meyer has called Elliott "the best player I've ever coached without the ball in his hand."

Read more here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/sports/nfl/article73713687.html#storylink=cpy

I think Dallas is going to deal down (and take Elliot) with someone who's in love with Buckner. I'm convinced Buckner goes ahead of Bosa. The question is how far will they deal down and do they risk Miami swooping in at the last second and stealing him. If they could work out something with SF at 7 that would be ideal, for them at least.

Cleveland, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, is discussing trade scenarios for the No. 8 pick with teams interested in moving up to take Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott.
We assume the Browns would trade the pick to a team that wanted someone else, too, but it is notable that RapSheet specifically mentions Zeke. We think Elliott is most likely to go anywhere from the Browns pick at No. 8 to the Dolphins' pick at No. 13. It's possible that Miami is currently trying to ascertain how much it would take to hop the Bears and Giants to get up to No. 8 and guarantee themselves a player they're known to covet.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Former NFL executive Greg Gabriel claims the "feeling" around the NFL is the Cowboys will select Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott.
"The head coach is pushing hard for that pick," Gabriel claims. We think it sounds more like a Jerry Jones pick, selecting the splash player who will post production despite last year's average running backs look at least adequate behind the Cowboys' line. All along it has been assumed the Cowboys' top prospect is Jalen Ramsey, but the Cowboys have been known to pull an audible on draft day despite what the board tells them.

Source: Greg Gabriel on Twitter 
Apr 28 - 11:43 AM

Cowboys selected Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2016 draft.
Elliott (6'0/225) emerged from Carlos Hyde's shadow to carry the mail for two years in Columbus, finishing his career with 3,961 yards and 43 TDs on 592 carries (6.69 YPC), adding 58 receptions. Elliott turned in a rock-solid Combine, running 4.47 with a 9-foot-10 broad jump and 32 1/2-inch vertical. On tape, Elliott "runs hot" with fiery competitiveness, and consistently maintains balance with low pad level on contact. Also an NFL-ready pass blocker, Elliott repeatedly stood up Notre Dame's defensive line in blitz pickup during Ohio State's Fiesta Bowl win. An exceptionally young prospect, Elliott won't turn 21 until just before his first NFL training camp.

Apr 28 - 8:44 PM

EE is my #2 dynasty RB. Only Gurley is ahead. Would not argue if Bell was ranked ahead.

Zeke is set for a massive rookie season.

Some good takes in this scouting report on how the Boys will use Zeke Elliott.

http://www.footbology.com/scouting-report-ezekiel-elliott/

Scouting Report: Ezekiel Elliott

Posted on May 16, 2016 by Marcus Mosher
... Dallas didn’t draft Ezekiel Elliott to run Outside Zone. They didn’t draft him to run strictly zone schemes either. They drafted him to run all of the schemes the NFL has to offer. I remember an interview that former New England Patriots’ defensive lineman Vince Wilfork said about the Dallas Cowboys’ running game on Sirius XM’s NFL Channel that suddenly made a lot of sense to me. I’m paraphrasing here, but what Wilfork said was that the Cowboys ability to run zone and power schemes at a very high level makes defending their running game nearly impossible.

For a defensive lineman, this puts a ton of stress on their body. On one play, a defensive lineman could be running sideline to sideline, trying to defend an outside zone run as they make sure they aren’t getting cut below the knees. Then, on the next play, Dallas could blow you off the ball with their power or man schemes. Wilfork mentioned that numerous times bigger, stronger defensive lineman would get pushed backwards with ease because in their mind, they are already preparing their body to move to the sideline to stop the outside zone runs.

Dallas’ overall game-plan isn’t complex nor unpredictable, but the ability to keep defensive lineman guessing is where they succeed. Now, they have a running back that can run any scheme and can play on any down. That’s something they haven’t had, even with DeMarco Murray. But let me make one thing clear before I move on. Dallas is still a zone running team. That is their base offense. Their zone vs man split would ideally like to be around 80/20. But, having the ability to do both at a very high level is the goal.

...  I came to this conclusion. When you add up all of the following parts of his game, plus his ability to run power/zone-read schemes, he’s just a much better player than if you were to just isolate all of his traits separately. Very few runners do multiple things well, whereas Elliott can do all of them very well. And that’s why Dallas chose him inside the top five.

Outside Zone: 

===========================================================================================================================

Go to the link for the rest of the article.

I don't understand this. Aren't rookie contracts all capped? I thought it was basically "this pick gets this amount." Where's @Hankmoody ?He's excellent with this stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering NFL contracts go up every year and Zeke was picked at essentially the same spot (1 pick later) as Richardson was four years ago, it makes sense that his contract is worth more.  I mean, I guess it's worth mentioning but it's basically like saying "BREAKING: Zeke receives delivery of Dallas Cowboys helmet!".  It's been a given for a while now.

Also, it's a really poorly written tweet.  $24.7m is not the most since the guy that got $20m.  $20m is not more than $24.7m.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand this. Aren't rookie contracts all capped? I thought it was basically "this pick gets this amount." Where's @Hankmoody ?He's excellent with this stuff. 
I believe the overall salary number is essentially capped by draft slot, but the player and agent are negotiating how much of that number is guaranteed.  I could be mistaken though.

What makes Zeke's situation so special is the fact the Zeke is the best back in this draft. He was drafted to the best Oline in the NFL, this just does not happen..........EVER! So the community doesn't know how to deal with it.

This is crazy but I love it!

Tex 

Rookie deals are slotted at a predetermined scale ("capped" if you will) but they aren't guaranteed by nature. That's negotiated individually.  They also increase year-to-year based on revenue as they are a set % of the overall wage scale. I think the players get 43% of revenue for the salary pool so as revenues increase so does the Salary Cap and as a function of that the Rookie Wage Scale does too.

What makes Zeke's situation so special is the fact the Zeke is the best back in this draft. He was drafted to the best Oline in the NFL, this just does not happen..........EVER! So the community doesn't know how to deal with it.

This is crazy but I love it!

Tex 
Article on pretty much exactly this point.

Machota: Five BIG reasons Ezekiel Elliott could have record-breaking rookie season

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/05/21/machota-five-big-reasons-ezekiel-elliott-record-breaking-rookie-season

Edgerrin James 1,553 yards in 1999 is the benchmark for rushing yards by a RB 21 or younger.  

Bob Magaw said:
Article on pretty much exactly this point.

Machota: Five BIG reasons Ezekiel Elliott could have record-breaking rookie season

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/05/21/machota-five-big-reasons-ezekiel-elliott-record-breaking-rookie-season

Edgerrin James 1,553 yards in 1999 is the benchmark for rushing yards by a RB 21 or younger.  
Great article thanks for posting. Zeke is going to do well barring injury he has a legitimate chance. He's a fierce competitor and behind this line should do fairly well.

Tex

He's for sure a top 5 rb and you could make a very strong argument for Elliot being the #1 rb this year for redraft. Overall, I'd personally strongly consider him after Antonio Brown
I agree with the potential top 5 RB statement but seems awfully risky to draft him at 2 overall. Elliot should have a monster year in that O. 

DallasCowboys.com's David Helman believes No. 4 overall pick Ezekiel Elliott "will finish with roughly 280-300 carries."
Adrian Peterson was the only back to crack 300 carries last season, and Doug Martin joined him as the only backs above 270. That said, this projection is not in any way crazy. The Cowboys are just a year removed from handing the ball to DeMarco Murray 392 times, and they spent a top-five pick on Elliott in part because they want to replicate the ground-and-pound approach which worked so well in 2014. Elliott has more competition in the backfield than Murray did, but he is still the clear No. 1 on a what projects to be a run-heavy team. Topping 300 carries is certainly within the realm of possibilities.

Source: dallascowboys.com 
Jun 28 - 12:37 PM

Users who are viewing this thread