What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Individual sports chokes (1 Viewer)

John McEnroe vs. Ivan Lendl: 1984 French Open final - Best known for his Grand Slam titles and emotional outbursts, McEnroe was also guilty of one of the worst Grand Slam finals losses ever. In the 1984 French Open championship match against the stoic but young Lendl, McEnroe, who had not lost a match all year, let a two-set lead disappear to lose in five sets 3-6, 2-6, 6-4, 7-5, 7-5. McEnroe’s famous temper led to the meltdown which began immediately after he confronted a noisy cameraman in the third set.

Nick Anderson.

Those 4 free throws in the Finals. They crushed him for the rest of his career. Top of my head - 80% FT shooter before, like 30% FT after. :lmao:

Jean van de velde is the most painful I've ever seen. Just a complete choke on the last hole. From tee to green (although he made a good Putt to get in the playoff).

Buckner and bostick I kind of disregard b/c they were involved in just one weird play.

Gary Anderson hurts like hell but it wasn't like it was a shank.

Favre's int vs the saints off his back foot really hurts and Id put that up there.

I do recall a Memphis player in like the elite 8 maybe seven or eight years ago had two free throws at end of regulation down one point and he bricked them both. I'd put that up there.

Nonetheless, in terms of just pure choking nothingbeats van de veldes 18th hole.

1998 Sun Open semi-finals, I was 17 years old and up 6-1, 5-0 and serving for the match. Lost two match points, the set 7-5 and then the third set 6-4.

1998 Sun Open semi-finals, I was 17 years old and up 6-1, 5-0 and serving for the match. Lost two match points, the set 7-5 and then the third set 6-4.
Wow... how the hell did that happen? when you've won 11/12 games off a guy you're just owning him so hard... even if he gained a little confidence off of breaking you once, that means you dropped your next 3 service games also.

Nick Anderson.

Those 4 free throws in the Finals. They crushed him for the rest of his career. Top of my head - 80% FT shooter before, like 30% FT after. :lmao:
This.

Bill Buckner could barely move and he shouldn't have been out there. Bostick only had one chance to make a play. Anderson missed 4 consecutive free throws.

1998 Sun Open semi-finals, I was 17 years old

and up 6-1, 5-0 and serving for the match. Lost two match points, the set 7-5 and then the third set 6-4.
Wow... how the hell did that happen? when you've won 11/12 games off a guy you're just owning him so hard... even if he gained a little confidence off of breaking you once, that means

you dropped your next 3 service games also.
The real kicker came in the finals when he won 6-0, 6-0. He definitely stepped up his play but I was a mental midget that day. I couldn't get over one of the match points where he lunged for a ball and it hit the tape and rolled over on my side.

and up 6-1, 5-0 and serving for the match. Lost two match points, the set 7-5 and then the third set 6-4.
Wow... how the hell did that happen? when you've won 11/12 games off a guy you're just owning him so hard... even if he gained a little confidence off of breaking you once, that means

The real kicker came in the finals when he won 6-0, 6-0. He definitely stepped up his play but I was a mental midget that day. I couldn't get over one of the match points where he lunged for a ball and it hit the tape and rolled over on my side.
ahhh.. sounds like the equivalent of a bad beat story. I've had poker tournaments where I completely fell apart because of a 2 outer or some other inequity and instead of accepting it, bearing down and getting back into the game, I had a full hour of an internal pity party and donked off the rest of my stack without even trying.

Scott Hoch choke at the 89' Masters. Missed a 2 foot putt to win in playoff. The ball didn't even hit the lip of the cup.

ahhh.. sounds like the equivalent of a bad beat story. I've had poker tournaments where I completely fell apart because of a 2 outer or some other inequity and instead of accepting it, bearing down and getting back into the game, I had a full hour of an internal pity party and donked off the rest of my stack without even trying.
You?

Jean van de velde is the most painful I've ever seen. Just a complete choke on the last hole. From tee to green (although he made a good Putt to get in the playoff).

Buckner and bostick I kind of disregard b/c they were involved in just one weird play.

Favre's int vs the saints off his back foot really hurts and Id put that up there.

I do recall a Memphis player in like the elite 8 maybe seven or eight years ago had two free throws at end of regulation down one point and he bricked them both. I'd put that up there.

Nonetheless, in terms of just pure choking nothingbeats van de veldes 18th hole.
Not sure why that matters. He missed a chip shot field goal in the NFC championship game after being perfect on the season. Clearly a choke.

Greg Norman in the 1996 Masters is the worst I've ever seen.
This one. Drawn out over many holes. Painful to watch.
He just crushed the course on Thursday, leader after all three rounds, led by six going into Sunday, 7th place was 10 shots back. It was setting up as an epic wire-to-wire destruction of Augusta and the opposition.

And then Sunday happened. Faldo shot 67 in Norman's group, but it wasn't a flurry of early birdies tightening the score. On holes 9-12 where the wheels came off for Norman bogey-bogey-bogey-double, Faldo was par-par-par-par.

Six shots up going into Sunday, and lost by five. Norman shot 78, and that was with birdies on three of the par-5s.

Not sure why that matters. He missed a chip shot field goal in the NFC championship game after being perfect on the season. Clearly a choke.
It matters if I'm weighing the play against others. I keep going back to Van de Velde, but if you watch his golf shots he didn't hit a single one clean. Anderson didn't miss by much. Van de Belde was barely hitting the golf ball.

Jackie Smith Cowboys TE drops a sure fire TD in the end zone which would have probably could have been the difference between a Cowboys loss in the 34-31 final score in the 1978 Super Bowl.

And two from UM history:

Miami led Maryland 31-0 at the half and then Frank Reich (Maryland's back up and ironically Jim Kelly's in the famous 1993 Houston collapse at Buffalo) threw 6 second half TD's to beat UM 42-40

Hail Flutie. Huge monstrous choke job by the UM defense. No freaking way he should have been allowed to catch that ball with 3-4 defenders in front of the WR.....it was gut wrenching.

I was at both games in the Orange Bowl to boot. Pure torture.

And no doubt the Packers this past Sunday is one of the biggest meltdowns I have seen in the NFL. Disgusting how badly they choked. From the top to bottom. It was a team effort to piss that game away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyson v Douglas
Douglas fought the fight of his life and was in the best shape of his career. But yeah Tyson was a complete train wreck that night. From doing lines all night the evening before the fight, to firing Kevin Rooney...his corner was in chaos all night. They had no ice to bring down his swelling on his eye which was getting peppered all night but Douglas's jab.

Douglas looked like Larry Homes (in his prime) that night. I watched that fight live on HBO and after went out to get some food and was telling people Tyson was knocked out. No one believed me.

It matters if I'm weighing the play against others. I keep going back to Van de Velde, but if you watch his golf shots he didn't hit a single one clean. Anderson didn't miss by much. Van de Belde was barely hitting the golf ball.
Fair point.

Tyson v Douglas
Douglas fought the fight of his life and was in the best shape of his career. But yeah Tyson was a complete train wreck that night. From doing lines all night the evening before the fight, to firing Kevin Rooney...his corner was in chaos all night. They had no ice to bring down his swelling on his eye which was getting peppered all night but Douglas's jab.

Douglas looked like Larry Homes (in his prime) that night. I watched that fight live on HBO and after went out to get some food and was telling people Tyson was knocked out. No one believed me.
I was one of those people who refused to believe he had lost.

Scott Norwood - Wide Right (1991)
I put this one on Levy as much as Norwood. 40+ yd field goals wee not such a sure thing in those days. Buffalo should have triied to pick up another first down...
So with all due respect to the 91,92,93 and 94 Bills. A great team in the history of the NFL no doubt about it but second place 4 straight years!!!

As great as they were. That is a choke job. Not winning one Super Bowl in 4 straight tries. And they never even kept the games close on their next 3 tries after losing by one point on their first trip.

Users who are viewing this thread