What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Floor game show (1 Viewer)

When is a turkey not a turkey?
Was turkey guessed and smoked turkey was the answer? What matches and what doesn’t is so random especially since pretty much all BBQ is smoked if it’s in the smoker like brisket. Fluffy (nickname) worked when she didn’t know his name was a bit odd.
Why was that smoked turkey and the rest could have been just Turkey? Some of that is inconsistent.

When is a turkey not a turkey?
Was turkey guessed and smoked turkey was the answer? What matches and what doesn’t is so random especially since pretty much all BBQ is smoked if it’s in the smoker like brisket. Fluffy (nickname) worked when she didn’t know his name was a bit odd.
Why was that smoked turkey and the rest could have been just Turkey? Some of that is inconsistent.
Probably the only thing I don’t really like. The categories can be deceiving like the Simpsons was guessing the real names of celebrities that have been on the show. When they did Candy, the guy had to say Reese’s with “peanut butter cups” after it kept going and the girl just said “Hershey’s” for the chocolate bar and that was fine. Hershey’s is the company that makes Reese’s too. The inconsistency in some cases is pretty bad. Even the fruit one. The guy passed on Honeydew but he did say melon and it’s a melon. That lady said “fluffy” not the whole comedian’s name so it really is wildly inconsistent.

I think the one woman in the upper left corner with International Foods will be one of the last ones left. There is no single square to go after her. The big territory is the only one that can and it doesn't seem wise to try just to get 3 spots.

The problem with this show is the people that were picked early in the game have no shot to win. If you're a contestant, you hope to be picked in the finale or close to it to have a chance to win the 250k.

The one guy last night won 5 duels and built up his territory, then a guy beats him and walks away with 20k after one win. Kinda lame.

I think the one woman in the upper left corner with International Foods will be one of the last ones left. There is no single square to go after her. The big territory is the only one that can and it doesn't seem wise to try just to get 3 spots.
She's played it perfectly. There's a huge advantage to starting in or near a corner if you get called early. Win one or two battles so you won't be subject to the randomizer, and then go back to the floor and people will leave you alone, especially if you don't have a popular category, because you're not in the pathway to the bigger territories.

The woman directly below her blew it when she got tabbed by the randomizer. She went for the big territory, but she should have gone for the three-spot International Foods territory and then gone back to the floor if victorious -- if she'd won, she would have been guaranteed to make the finale except in the unlikely event that whoever controlled the big territory really wanted to play her category. If she'd won the big territory, she would have been unlikely to hold it until the end of the episode because it was early in the episode. Even very good players like the PhD fruit expert and the engineering professor couldn't hold the territory for that long.

I have not watched any more since the bits of a couple early episodes. I think the “Simpsons” category killed it for me. I’d rather watch them do multiplication flash cards than “guess the picture” I guess.

Watched this for the first time the other night....isn't the first few players at a huge disadvantage? Seems like you just have to be one of the later players and then know someone off and then boom...you get a lot of the floor. Seems silly.

Is this correct?

Watched this for the first time the other night....isn't the first few players at a huge disadvantage? Seems like you just have to be one of the later players and then know someone off and then boom...you get a lot of the floor. Seems silly.

Is this correct?
Yes, with the caveat that at the end of each show, the person with the largest floor area wins $20000, so there's a lot of incentive for the early people, too.

What a terrible finale.

Carl won like 5 or 6 duels, and beat players at their own category before getting beat....then, international foods girl goes against a guy who made one of the dumbest decisions ever and hands her the $250k grand prize.

I'm out for season 2 unless they tweek it and make it more fair.

ETA: love the blurry spoilers with click to un-blur.

Yeah choosing Fashion Icons over naming random foods was about as dumb as it gets. You know the foods would’ve been like sushi, tacos, etc.

So the winner won 2 total duels. Great.

There needs to be some sort of point structure or safety after number of wins implemented.

What a terrible finale.

Carl won like 5 or 6 duels, and beat players at their own category before getting beat....then, international foods girl goes against a guy who made one of the dumbest decisions ever and hands her the $250k grand prize.

I'm out for season 2 unless they tweek it and make it more fair.

ETA: love the blurry spoilers with click to un-blur.
It was terrible. The winner basically stood there since day 1 and won because the last guy was a moron. You knew it was going to end that way, unfortunately. Not sure how I’d fix it, but maybe a minimum number of challenges. Maybe the bigger folks can’t be challenged by someone who hasn’t won anything. Maybe if you have 1 square you have to challenge someone with 1 to 4 squares unless they are land locked.

It was terrible. The winner basically stood there since day 1 and won because the last guy was a moron. You knew it was going to end that way, unfortunately. Not sure how I’d fix it, but maybe a minimum number of challenges. Maybe the bigger folks can’t be challenged by someone who hasn’t won anything. Maybe if you have 1 square you have to challenge someone with 1 to 4 squares unless they are land locked.
I think the solution is some sort of safety after winning a certain number of duels. Possibly after 4-5 duel wins you are safe and can't be picked to duel again until final 20. This promotes people from not just camping out and waiting and also keeps the big guns around for the final group. I'd imagine then in the final 20 you'd probably end up with 10 or so that were safe and have a proven track record of playing and winning.

I think the solution is some sort of safety after winning a certain number of duels. Possibly after 4-5 duel wins you are safe and can't be picked to duel again until final 20. This promotes people from not just camping out and waiting and also keeps the big guns around for the final group. I'd imagine then in the final 20 you'd probably end up with 10 or so that were safe and have a proven track record of playing and winning.
I think safety might be hard to track, which is why I thought having lower square count people fight it out could work. It’s similar because the people who run a string of challenges would be safe just by having done that. The only problem (in both of our proposals) is the land lock situation where someone can’t challenge anyone.

Yeah choosing Fashion Icons over naming random foods was about as dumb as it gets. You know the foods would’ve been like sushi, tacos, etc.

So the winner won 2 total duels. Great.

There needs to be some sort of point structure or safety after number of wins implemented.
technically 3, but your point is still valid.

I think safety might be hard to track, which is why I thought having lower square count people fight it out could work. It’s similar because the people who run a string of challenges would be safe just by having done that. The only problem (in both of our proposals) is the land lock situation where someone can’t challenge anyone.
Why hard to track? Just show number of wins inside there floor owned and when they get to safety, their land turns red. Easy.

And for the challenging land lock, just treat it as an extension when there are no options…whoever the land lock touches is now open to challenge.

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I think he made the right decision going Fashion Icons. If I understand it correctly, they get to go and study that night and the next day after that night’s show is over. The winner basically got to study International Foods every night since it was her topic. Think the guy wasn’t good in either category and figured he would go with the one that neither studied much on. Just my two cents.

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I think he made the right decision going Fashion Icons. If I understand it correctly, they get to go and study that night and the next day after that night’s show is over. The winner basically got to study International Foods every night since it was her topic. Think the guy wasn’t good in either category and figured he would go with the one that neither studied much on. Just my two cents.
Why would he have gotten to study? The finale looked like two split episodes. I would think each episode was filmed during one day. I don’t think they broke before the last challenge. I mean he could have studied a bit of every category left but I don’t think there was a night between the second to last challenge and the last one.

Why would he have gotten to study? The finale looked like two split episodes. I would think each episode was filmed during one day. I don’t think they broke before the last challenge. I mean he could have studied a bit of every category left but I don’t think there was a night between the second to last challenge and the last one.
And even then it was proven over and over that the naming of people by their picture/face was by far the hardest categories.

I’m not saying he got to study. I’m saying, the women with International Foods was sitting on and most likely studying that category every single night. I would assume that went into his thought process. He probably thought she was an expert at that because she had so much time to study it and decided he had a better shot at a category neither of them studied (Fashion Icons).

I’m not saying he got to study. I’m saying, the women with International Foods was sitting on and most likely studying that category every single night. I would assume that went into his thought process. He probably thought she was an expert at that because she had so much time to study it and decided he had a better shot at a category neither of them studied (Fashion Icons).
I gotcha, still think it was an awful mistake. We’ve seen that sometimes people get a tougher set of slides than others. Going fashion icons and having to guess names of people’s pictures (as @offdee mentioned above) when you know you don’t know them is a bad choice. From her look, I would instantly think she knows more. If he knows nothing she doesn't need to be an expert to win.

I told my wife for weeks now that the final would come down to the lady in the corner with International Foods. I think the dude made a huge mistake choosing fashion icons to battle in.

For Season 2 I hope we see a lot of tweaks. The way it currently goes, if you get chosen near the end of an episode and there are enough duels left for you to make it to and win the biggest territory, you go for the $20k but you're forfeiting your chance at the final prize. If you're not near a big territory, you win one and go back and hide and bam you find yourself in the final 8.
  • Safety/immunity if you win X number of duels.
  • Allow corners/edge players to challenge opposite side players (no more hiding in corner)
  • Prize $ for each duel winner. Could entice people to "stay and play" vs return and hide.

I gotcha, still think it was an awful mistake. We’ve seen that sometimes people get a tougher set of slides than others. Going fashion icons and having to guess names of people’s pictures (as @offdee mentioned above) when you know you don’t know them is a bad choice. From her look, I would instantly think she knows more. If he knows nothing she doesn't need to be an expert to win.
I completely agree with it being a poor decision. I’m just trying to rationalize why he did it.

I completely agree with it being a poor decision. I’m just trying to rationalize why he did it.
Yep yep that is probably the only reason I considered switching is she sat on that category forever

Users who are viewing this thread