What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Floor game show (1 Viewer)

wlwiles

Footballguy
Anybody else watching this? Seems like the next attempt at a new hit/craze game show - remember when Deal or No Deal and Who Wants to be a Millionnaire first premiered? Generic questions that the home audience can feel smart about, mixed with a little Rob Lowe charisma on stage. I'm enjoying it so far, interesting premise, and the contestants have all been good sports so far

I watched the first 3 shows. Some interesting strategy but I’ll be honest, I don’t understand why some people keep their categories and some don’t. For instance, the guy who had the most kept inheriting categories for people he challenged. He lost to someone who challenged him and that lady kept her category.

I watched the first 3 shows. Some interesting strategy but I’ll be honest, I don’t understand why some people keep their categories and some don’t. For instance, the guy who had the most kept inheriting categories for people he challenged. He lost to someone who challenged him and that lady kept her category.
The simple answer is that each category is only dueled once. Two people face off in the category of the person that got challenged, and the winner then retains the unused category.

The long explanation is: Say your category is NFL teams. If you're chosen by the randomizer, then you are forced to challenge a neighbor in their category. Say you challenge me, in my category of MLB teams. If you win, then you still have your own category to defend if you're challenged later. If I win, now my MLB category is spent, and I inherit your category of NFL teams. No matter which of us wins, we'd have NFL teams as our topic.

Whoever wins a duel gets the choice to go back to the floor (and then get challenged in whatever category they retain), or they can challenge another neighbor again, in that person's category. So you could keep your own category if you initially challenge someone and win, and then continue to challenge and win. As soon as you go back to the floor, now the next time you'd duel would be in your own category (because someone has to challenge you in your category). You can't be chosen by the randomizer twice, so once you return to the floor you can only duel as the challenged party (so in the category you hold).

It prevents someone from choosing some obscure topic and getting to defend it multiple times.

Last edited:
The simple answer is that each category is only dueled once. Two people face off in the category of the person that got challenged, and the winner then retains the unused category.

The long explanation is: Say your category is NFL teams. If you're chosen by the randomizer, then you are forced to challenge a neighbor in their category. Say you challenge me, in my category of MLB teams. If you win, then you still have your own category to defend if you're challenged later. If I win, now my MLB category is spent, and I inherit your category of NFL teams. No matter which of us wins, we'd have NFL teams as our topic.

Whoever wins a duel gets the choice to go back to the floor (and then get challenged in whatever category they retain), or they can challenge another neighbor again, in that person's category. So you could keep your own category if you initially challenge someone and win, and then continue to challenge and win. As soon as you go back to the floor, now the next time you'd duel would be in your own category (because someone has to challenge you in your category). You can't be chosen by the randomizer twice, so once you return to the floor you can only duel as the challenged party (so in the category you hold).

It prevents someone from choosing some obscure topic and getting to defend it multiple times.
Thanks. That helps. I might be misremembering but I got a little confused when it seemed like it worked differently for people doing the same thing but the categories only being used once makes sense.

I'm hooked. It's fun albeit not overly intellectual and kind of soap-operaish (in a good way) as you see personalities develop and ultimately clash with each other. It's the pro wrestling of game shows.

Anybody else watching this? Seems like the next attempt at a new hit/craze game show - remember when Deal or No Deal and Who Wants to be a Millionnaire first premiered? Generic questions that the home audience can feel smart about, mixed with a little Rob Lowe charisma on stage. I'm enjoying it so far, interesting premise, and the contestants have all been good sports so far
We have been watching and like it. It’s got trivia and a cutthroat/strategy element to it — a little each from Jeopardy and Survivor, which makes it totally in my wheelhouse.

Rob Lowe is good at giving everyone their little moment. Not easy to do when there are 81 contestants.

I wasn't expecting the picture element of what it was but a couple people who claim that is their expertise and blanking on super easy ones like nails has me baffled. There are definitely categories I would have completely failed at but some of the ones people miss in their category shocks me

I wasn't expecting the picture element of what it was but a couple people who claim that is their expertise and blanking on super easy ones like nails has me baffled. There are definitely categories I would have completely failed at but some of the ones people miss in their category shocks me
Some people just suck under pressure. Like Dak Prescott in the playoffs. :laugh:

I am surprised how long running it will be for a winner. They start with what about 80 people and eliminate 8 a week. In watching trivia shows, I like the ones that have more questions and less create fake drama fluff in between. This isn't too bad and has enough trivia. As said above some of the misses are hard to belief and if you just get that one then the alternating would have been different.

I am surprised how long running it will be for a winner. They start with what about 80 people and eliminate 8 a week. In watching trivia shows, I like the ones that have more questions and less create fake drama fluff in between. This isn't too bad and has enough trivia. As said above some of the misses are hard to belief and if you just get that one then the alternating would have been different.
The square is 9x9, so there are 81 players and 80 will be eliminated. All but one if the categories will have a battle. With that many players, there’s going to be wide variance in who can perform under pressure.

Seems like the winner is most likely to be someone that stays on their little one square and avoids the randomizer, lets the rest of the board consolidate into 4 or 5 big territories, and then starts picking off the big areas once the field is culled. Just too many broad topics and too much luck involved in who gets which duel clue for the champion to be someone who builds territory early and often and has to battle frequently.

Seems like the winner is most likely to be someone that stays on their little one square and avoids the randomizer, lets the rest of the board consolidate into 4 or 5 big territories, and then starts picking off the big areas once the field is culled. Just too many broad topics and too much luck involved in who gets which duel clue for the champion to be someone who builds territory early and often and has to battle frequently.
I think many of the players already realize that, which is why some have focused on winning the $20k for having the most territory at the end of an episode.

I think many of the players already realize that, which is why some have focused on winning the $20k for having the most territory at the end of an episode.
Agreed. It’s like poker odds. $250k for 81 people is a bit over $3k per person so one $20k gets you 7x the original odds and if you get lucky, the randomizer happens away from you and maybe you can get 2 or more $20k opportunities. Winning/losing it all could literally come down with challenging someone still on their original topic.

Or the one woman in the upper left section who has won twice now and gone back to the floor each time. Seems she doesn't want to obtain too big a target.

interesting episode last night - especially at the end when the older fellow opted to challenge a single square neighbor and lock up a guaranteed $10k win for the lady with the most territory (and another $10k for himself if he won), when he could have gone for a bigger neighbor and the full $20k himself. Seems like he's playing the long game and trying to have that lady owing him a favor down the line

interesting episode last night - especially at the end when the older fellow opted to challenge a single square neighbor and lock up a guaranteed $10k win for the lady with the most territory (and another $10k for himself if he won), when he could have gone for a bigger neighbor and the full $20k himself. Seems like he's playing the long game and trying to have that lady owing him a favor down the line
yeah didint agree unless those were the 2 categories he felt the best about

Possible. Also possible that he didn't like any of the categories that were more than 1 square. So he figured ... why not go for 2-3 single squares and get a tie.

I suspect it was a bit of both -- he went for the categories he thought he was most likely to win, and he did a favor for Stephanie that could be returned.

Nope..No chance. Zero interest in this garbage.
Deal or no deal started out good. All about picking the briefcases. They would easily finish a round in one showing. Then they got WAY over the top with the personal stuff. Gawd. Trot out some friend from 1st grade etc etc. One session would last two shows and it would be all human interest gibberish.

I suspect it was a bit of both -- he went for the categories he thought he was most likely to win, and he did a favor for Stephanie that could be returned.
Can’t be returned now.

Last night was interesting. The Simpsons category was a joke. Might as well have been named random celebrities. Also, felt like the guy who was mobile apps got way more odd apps than his opponent.

Nope..No chance. Zero interest in this garbage.
Deal or no deal started out good. All about picking the briefcases. They would easily finish a round in one showing. Then they got WAY over the top with the personal stuff. Gawd. Trot out some friend from 1st grade etc etc. One session would last two shows and it would be all human interest gibberish.
I can understand not watching deal or no deal. You are just picking boxes and it’s all luck. The Floor is certainly not life changing but it’s fun to follow along guessing. Kind of like a poor man’s jeopardy. Also fills a gap for me to be able to work a little and still watch (10-15 minutes of actual game) especially since most shows aren’t back on till February.

Can’t be returned now.

Last night was interesting. The Simpsons category was a joke. Might as well have been named random celebrities. Also, felt like the guy who was mobile apps got way more odd apps than his opponent.
Or birds and one lady got something like ostrich and the other gets East Carolina Red Crested Midge, passes, then the next pic is west Carolina brown crested midge, etc. Finally she gets one, then the other player gets “duck”.

This is almost as scripted as the NFL playoffs.

Can’t be returned now.

Or birds and one lady got something like ostrich and the other gets East Carolina Red Crested Midge, passes, then the next pic is west Carolina brown crested midge, etc. Finally she gets one, then the other player gets “duck”.

This is almost as scripted as the NFL playoffs.
I hope it doesn’t keep up like that. First time it felt not so fair. Also, remember the guy who didn’t get “Reese’s” until he also said Peanut Butter Cup but the lady got the chocolate bar by just saying “Hershey’s” and that’s the company name not the candy name. Hershey makes Reese’s and the chocolate bars.

The Simpsons category was the worst, it should've been Simpsons characters, but instead it was actors who have guest starred on the show. Just call the category celebrities. What a gyp. Could've been a fun category.

Last edited:
I watched it last night for the first time and liked it. It's available on demand so I will go back and watch more.
I was hoping for some movie categories but they weren't played the episode I watched.

I'm really starting to think that the contestants chose their preferred categories from a set list, and therefore they have no specialty in any one category more than someone else. Way too many times the challenger beats someone in their own category. And the long haired guy with the moustache had "Divas" as his category, and then can't recognize Mariah Freaking Carey?!?!

I'm really starting to think that the contestants chose their preferred categories from a set list, and therefore they have no specialty in any one category more than someone else. Way too many times the challenger beats someone in their own category. And the long haired guy with the moustache had "Divas" as his category, and then can't recognize Mariah Freaking Carey?!?!
You are probably right. Some of the categories are just general stuff that most people know. I think it’s better that way otherwise no one would bother challenging. Also, I don’t think they got true experts/mensa members so they’ll make mistakes and fold under pressure. The timer is key because we have seen people recognize the answer while the 3 seconds tick off. You can’t waste time so I think you’ve got people who pass instantly if they aren’t positive.

It's going to be pretty disappointing when one of the people who hasn't been seen all season wins two battles in the final episode and wins the whole thing

Some of the pictures are really bad. Not your straight forward typical. A couple had hair almost covering the entire face.

It's going to be pretty disappointing when one of the people who hasn't been seen all season wins two battles in the final episode and wins the whole thing
It might be. The last person to be challenged/randomly chosen could pick up a huge section by having their “expert” category.

Just look at that guy who lost the top squares this week. He decided to not go for the $20k and instead just go for the $10k split. The lady he split with is happy as she split again.

Actually, seems like the top folks are going to continually get challenged because while there are some thinking long term, there are a lot that see the $20k as a smart move.

If you're on a square that hasn't been chosen yet, this is exactly what you're hoping for. Let everyone else cannabilize each other and then swoop in and steal it all in as few battles as possible. There's too much luck involved to think that a regular person can win duels consistently, unless you're a broad-spectrum trivia whiz. One fumble on a question and then a pass and you're toast, and it's almost pure luck whether it happens to you or your opponent.

However, if your square gets picked, you should absolutely go for the biggest area you can in the shortest number of battles possible to get the $20k. It amazes me that more of them don't try to do that and go for the sure $. Even Stephanie in the last game, yeah she'd already won $30k before but when she was challenged and won she was then tied with Sunnie for territory. I'd have gone for another square (or gone for Jasper's 5 or 6) to try and secure another $20k; she chose to go back to the floor and split the prize again. You're a huge territory, you're going to get challenged again, probably multiple times, so why wouldn't you control it yourself and go for more immediate $?

If you're on a square that hasn't been chosen yet, this is exactly what you're hoping for. Let everyone else cannabilize each other and then swoop in and steal it all in as few battles as possible. There's too much luck involved to think that a regular person can win duels consistently, unless you're a broad-spectrum trivia whiz. One fumble on a question and then a pass and you're toast, and it's almost pure luck whether it happens to you or your opponent.

However, if your square gets picked, you should absolutely go for the biggest area you can in the shortest number of battles possible to get the $20k. It amazes me that more of them don't try to do that and go for the sure $. Even Stephanie in the last game, yeah she'd already won $30k before but when she was challenged and won she was then tied with Sunnie for territory. I'd have gone for another square (or gone for Jasper's 5 or 6) to try and secure another $20k; she chose to go back to the floor and split the prize again. You're a huge territory, you're going to get challenged again, probably multiple times, so why wouldn't you control it yourself and go for more immediate $?
Knowing that she’d both get the $10k and stay alive (one challenge left) to the next day, it was a good call. Going for the $10k/$20k when you aren’t in the lead is good strategy because you could easily lose without ever getting anything.

I am hooked - I went back and watched 3 more episodes On Demand.

I agree that some people on there aren't so hot at their specialty, but I think they don't really care as they just want the TV exposure.

When is a turkey not a turkey?
Was turkey guessed and smoked turkey was the answer? What matches and what doesn’t is so random especially since pretty much all BBQ is smoked if it’s in the smoker like brisket. Fluffy (nickname) worked when she didn’t know his name was a bit odd.

The guy who went after the PhD for fruits wasn’t smart. You know there would be obscure fruit after the easy stuff that he would get easily. It’s one thing to go for it in an inherited category or against someone who doesn’t look like they’d know the answers but you knew exactly what would happen and he never stood a chance.

I thought the lady who won one battle and went back to the floor with only two squares and still holding her original category was smart. She's safe from the randomizer, and nobody is going to challenge her in her category for just two squares. She will be able to cruise to the end and may only have to win a couple of battles to win the $250,000.

I thought the lady who won one battle and went back to the floor with only two squares and still holding her original category was smart. She's safe from the randomizer, and nobody is going to challenge her in her category for just two squares. She will be able to cruise to the end and may only have to win a couple of battles to win the $250,000.
As we discussed earlier in the thread, in the first few episodes quite a few contestants were playing for the $20,000 prize at the end of the episode probably because they figured they would have no shot at making it to the end after being called so early. The lady you mentioned may be the first case of someone who decided not to play for the $20,000 prize in order to improve their chances of winning the $250,000.

The guy who challenged PhD guy in fruits did do a favor for everyone else. PhD guy was going to win if that remained his category until the end of the game. Now he will have to battle in other categories where he might not know as much.

Great point and I said the same thing to my wife. I said I’d go back because challenging the PhD agricultural guy in obscure fruits was a losing bet (we saw it play out). She has no draw for the weekly $20k so I like keeping my category/no randomizer play for the $250k.

The guy who challenged PhD guy in fruits did do a favor for everyone else. PhD guy was going to win if that remained his category until the end of the game. Now he will have to battle in other categories where he might not know as much.
Challenging the comedian in his own category of Comedians was a huge help to the group as well. Once you get past Dave Chappelle and Kevin Hart and into the more obscure or lesser known ones, very few challengers were going to be able to hang with him in that category.

It's funny how the pictures suddenly go in difficulty from
(in math terms)
2+2
1 x 4
6 / 3
to
123,765 x 342

Users who are viewing this thread