Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Home-owners...What are your current projects?


wilked

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, rascal said:

Anyone ever convert the area under a staircase into a storage area?  We have a two layer staircase, and thinking about making a small doorway to utilize that space.

What do you mean by "two layer staircase"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gonna replace/modify most of the sprinkler heads in 4 zones. One zone is going to become exclusively drip for a flower bed. We might add another zone down the road for a flower bed with drip as well, but not right now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moved in to a new house and it appears the pressure to the water spigots is too high.  Couple of questions about this:

1. Is there typically only the one water pressure valve that I can adjust or is it possible there’s one specifically for the outside spigots?

2. Can I adjust the pressure with the water on or should I shut it off first?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Moved in to a new house and it appears the pressure to the water spigots is too high.  Couple of questions about this:

1. Is there typically only the one water pressure valve that I can adjust or is it possible there’s one specifically for the outside spigots?

2. Can I adjust the pressure with the water on or should I shut it off first?

Is it city water?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Moved in to a new house and it appears the pressure to the water spigots is too high.  Couple of questions about this:

1. Is there typically only the one water pressure valve that I can adjust or is it possible there’s one specifically for the outside spigots?

2. Can I adjust the pressure with the water on or should I shut it off first?

Buy one of these.

Screw it on an exterior hose bib, preferable the closest one to the water main.

 Open the valve, make sure it's not leaking or add some teflon tape. (Can stretch out a plastic grocery bag if you dont have the tape)

Leave it overnight. The next day take notice of the red arrow. That will tell you the max pressure. Max pressure should be between 45- 80 psi. Too much higher than that and you could have some leaks. You can possibly adjust your water pressure valve if you have one. Check you pressure first, then come back or hit youtube. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Buy one of these.

Screw it on an exterior hose bib, preferable the closest one to the water main.

 Open the valve, make sure it's not leaking or add some teflon tape. (Can stretch out a plastic grocery bag if you dont have the tape)

Leave it overnight. The next day take notice of the red arrow. That will tell you the max pressure. Max pressure should be between 45- 80 psi. Too much higher than that and you could have some leaks. You can possibly adjust your water pressure valve if you have one. Check you pressure first, then come back or hit youtube. 

This

 

speak w data...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking to paint the interior of my house...does anyone recommend the use of a sprayer?  I also have a rental so could get multiple uses out of it if it is expensive.  I have read too many reviews saying they are difficult to clean or don't last.  Was hoping for some first hand recommendations or experiences.  Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2020 at 11:24 AM, AAABatteries said:

Moved in to a new house and it appears the pressure to the water spigots is too high.  Couple of questions about this:

1. Is there typically only the one water pressure valve that I can adjust or is it possible there’s one specifically for the outside spigots?

2. Can I adjust the pressure with the water on or should I shut it off first?

Too high for what?  I heard of too low, for instance with a sprinkler system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current and immediate future projects:

  • With COVID and the demand on wifi in my house, was using a wired ethernet cable from our router to my workstation, but with kids out of remote school, will be moving from my current workstation (our dining room) to our office (where I had the kids set up for school). Instead of snaking the wire all around again, I went into our crawlspace, drilled a few holes, and ran the cable from our our router down through the crawlspace and up and out again into the office. PITA but straight forward and easy, and avoided paying someone else to do a job we could do ourselves
  • redecorating our "toy room" to a more conducive gaming room for my kids, buying new sofas for our living room (pure redcorating, no real handyman type project
  • At some point this spring will remulch our entire yard
  • removing existing pebble coverage along the side of my house, regrading the surface, then laying down new pebbles
  • replacing all the windows in the exposure my house has to the street. House built in 1994, and while no obvious leaks they wood are drafty and could use replacement to more efficient double paned vinyl windows
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2020 at 12:55 PM, NutterButter said:

Too high for what?  I heard of too low, for instance with a sprinkler system.

Sorry - I didn’t explain well. Both spigots have a high pitched noise coming from them when turned on.  One of the two has water shoot out of it when you turn the water off.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, wilked said:

That thing gonna still be working in 2 years? It’s a good effort, but I worry about long term reliability 

It was cheap so probably not, just replace it when it goes out.  I'll hopefully remember and let you know.  He wants to do the same for the projector, but I'll have to do that, since the Joyce's are the wrong way.

Edited by bucksoh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Trying to figure out how to best install some wall-mounted cabinets in my garage. The surface is drywall that is attached to furring strips attached to cinder block. 

Should I use Tapcon screws through the furring strips into the block? Would that be enough to hold the cabinets?
Anchor screws directly into the block? How would that work with the gap between the drywall and the block that is caused by the furring strips?

Garage Wall (pre-drywall)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I spent 2 full days in smouldering heat ripping up and cutting out left over surface roots from 2 trees that were cut down.

Dropped all new top soil and seeded 

Fixed a sprinkler pipe.   

Turn on sprinklers for first time in 2 years, another leak.  

Try to dig up valve.  Can't apparently there is a 4 inch under ground root that grew under my valve, raised it up and snapped the pipe at the Tee.

So now I have been painfully digging out slowly, cutting roots trying to get to the pipe

What a freaking mess.

It might be 2 more days before I can dig all that out

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Working with an irrigation guy to change out most of my sprinkler heads out to MP rotator nozzles (mostly 1000 type) and adding flex hose. Also setting up 1 zone for flower bed as all drip irrigation. Moving a couple sprinklers with flex hose too. 

Edited by Osaurus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The girlfriend recently planted Milkweed in the yard, which attracts Monarch butterflies...well, she found 5 monarch caterpillars on the leaves a couple days ago, and they were gone yesterday...stupid lizards...so she commissioned me to build her a little safe enclosure so she can watch them turn into butterflies and then release them :rolleyes:

So we went to Lowe's, picked up some wood and screen to add to the scraps I found in the garage...a couple hours later, she has her....I dunno...butterfly hatchery? I guess?

Whatever. It gave me something to do today, and she's excited. 

:shrug:

Masterpiece

 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I just went through some options for re-modeling the bathrooms in my condo. Below is what I am considering.

I won't receive estimates until later next week (they will be coming out for measurements on Tuesday), but what would you estimate)?

From what I have researched, the cultured marble top is not that expensive, flooring will adding some cost, toilets/vanity not too bad.

Guest Bathroom:

  • cultured marble top (roughly 31 inches wide)
  • single handle faucet
  • new comfort height toilet,
  • possible mirror
  • possible new vanity (will likely replace since tiles will require current vanity to come out) 
  • paint room
  • replace tile floor, possible luxury vinyl replacement
  • leave bathtub

Master Bathroom:

  • cultured marble top (roughly 60 inches wide)
  • comfort height toilet
  • possible mirror
  • possible new vanity (will likely replace since tiles will require current vanity to come out)
  • replace tile floor, possible luxury vinyl replacement 
  • leave shower
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, cubd8 said:

I just went through some options for re-modeling the bathrooms in my condo. Below is what I am considering.

I won't receive estimates until later next week (they will be coming out for measurements on Tuesday), but what would you estimate)?

From what I have researched, the cultured marble top is not that expensive, flooring will adding some cost, toilets/vanity not too bad.

Guest Bathroom:

  • cultured marble top (roughly 31 inches wide)
  • single handle faucet
  • new comfort height toilet,
  • possible mirror
  • possible new vanity (will likely replace since tiles will require current vanity to come out) 
  • paint room
  • replace tile floor, possible luxury vinyl replacement
  • leave bathtub

Master Bathroom:

  • cultured marble top (roughly 60 inches wide)
  • comfort height toilet
  • possible mirror
  • possible new vanity (will likely replace since tiles will require current vanity to come out)
  • replace tile floor, possible luxury vinyl replacement 
  • leave shower

Did you consider knocking it out yourself? Everything there is pretty diy friendly 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2020 at 5:54 PM, belljr said:

Well I spent 2 full days in smouldering heat ripping up and cutting out left over surface roots from 2 trees that were cut down.

Dropped all new top soil and seeded 

Fixed a sprinkler pipe.   

Turn on sprinklers for first time in 2 years, another leak.  

Try to dig up valve.  Can't apparently there is a 4 inch under ground root that grew under my valve, raised it up and snapped the pipe at the Tee.

So now I have been painfully digging out slowly, cutting roots trying to get to the pipe

What a freaking mess.

It might be 2 more days before I can dig all that out

Next time, jet it out with water.  Get one of those jet kits used to tunnel PVC under sidewalks but make it with a short piece of PVC and a ball valve.  Just blast the dirt away, let it drain a few minutes and repeat. Much easier than digging and no chance of damaging anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Next time, jet it out with water.  Get one of those jet kits used to tunnel PVC under sidewalks but make it with a short piece of PVC and a ball valve.  Just blast the dirt away, let it drain a few minutes and repeat. Much easier than digging and no chance of damaging anything.

Id still have all the roots to dig out.  The roots were huge and wrapped all around the pipes.  That was the slow part Plus I'd then have to buy topsoil :).

 

Edited by belljr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone have experience or tips for finding a contractor to do a back patio expansion? Our new home has a small concrete patio, which is fine, but our plan is to expand it to:

2-3x its current square footage

Inbuilt grill, inbuilt smoker (separate)

Inbuilt storage for grill utensils, charcoal, etc

Roof

some type of shade device for the sides as sun sets

 

We're thinking it could easily get quite expensive...any stories would be appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Instinctive said:

Anyone have experience or tips for finding a contractor to do a back patio expansion? Our new home has a small concrete patio, which is fine, but our plan is to expand it to:

2-3x its current square footage

Inbuilt grill, inbuilt smoker (separate)

Inbuilt storage for grill utensils, charcoal, etc

Roof

some type of shade device for the sides as sun sets

 

We're thinking it could easily get quite expensive...any stories would be appreciated. 

Actually thinking about doing the same (minus the outdoor kitchen).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, Instinctive said:

Anyone have experience or tips for finding a contractor to do a back patio expansion? Our new home has a small concrete patio, which is fine, but our plan is to expand it to:

2-3x its current square footage

Inbuilt grill, inbuilt smoker (separate)

Inbuilt storage for grill utensils, charcoal, etc

Roof

some type of shade device for the sides as sun sets

 

We're thinking it could easily get quite expensive...any stories would be appreciated. 

I’d start by asking your neighbors - the best contractors I’ve hired have been through referrals. In my experience sites like Angie’s List are a waste of time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone ever hear of this to make your AC unit blow colder air (and work less).   My AC works well, but my 2nd level is noticeably warmer on the hot summer days.   The concept of this seems pretty simple to help cool the air faster and more efficiently as it blows into your house.  For $200 I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Mistbox:

https://www.mistbox.com/index.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, offdee said:

Anyone ever hear of this to make your AC unit blow colder air (and work less).   My AC works well, but my 2nd level is noticeably warmer on the hot summer days.   The concept of this seems pretty simple to help cool the air faster and more efficiently as it blows into your house.  For $200 I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Mistbox:

https://www.mistbox.com/index.html

The principle behind the tech is sound, but I doubt these really help that much. Couple of (old) links: Link 1 and Link 2

The original version gets terrible reviews on Amazon, but perhaps the current version is better.  

Edited by FBG26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, offdee said:

Anyone ever hear of this to make your AC unit blow colder air (and work less).   My AC works well, but my 2nd level is noticeably warmer on the hot summer days.   The concept of this seems pretty simple to help cool the air faster and more efficiently as it blows into your house.  For $200 I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Mistbox:

https://www.mistbox.com/index.html

Sounds like total bull####.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, offdee said:

Anyone ever hear of this to make your AC unit blow colder air (and work less).   My AC works well, but my 2nd level is noticeably warmer on the hot summer days.   The concept of this seems pretty simple to help cool the air faster and more efficiently as it blows into your house.  For $200 I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Mistbox:

https://www.mistbox.com/index.html

Assuming your AC is appropriately sized for the house you are trying to cool, this sounds like more of an insulation problem than an AC problem

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

Assuming your AC is appropriately sized for the house you are trying to cool, this sounds like more of an insulation problem than an AC problem

Yep probably.  We also have vaulted ceilings on 2nd floor so I’m sure that doesn’t help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question for those of you with Cypress trees. For whatever reason, the people we bought the house from had planted 7 Cypress trees 6' from the fence.  

We've lived here 5 years now and we do like the trees. When we first moved in I could ride the mower between each tree, now we can't even walk between them and they're overlapping. Not a huge deal there (I think) but as you might guess, they're starting to get really close to the fence. I'd guess we have another year or two before they start pressing against the wooden fence. 

I don't want that to happen, but pruning one side is going to make for odd looking trees. That might not be a huge thing as it's a privacy fence, so nobody is going to really see the side that's cut. But is it good for the trees? Is there anything I need to watch for if we only cut the one side? Is the trees overlapping an issue I can't see? 

I can barely get the mower between the trees and the fence now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2020 at 9:03 PM, rascal said:

Actually thinking about doing the same (minus the outdoor kitchen).

Same. Our new house has only a 10x10 concrete patio and we will expand to 10x20. Possibly stamped concrete and deciding between a standard attached covering or a pergola that can open and close remotely. Also optionally some kind of sun shade/mosquito netting that you can pull down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ffweasel said:

Same. Our new house has only a 10x10 concrete patio and we will expand to 10x20. Possibly stamped concrete and deciding between a standard attached covering or a pergola that can open and close remotely. Also optionally some kind of sun shade/mosquito netting that you can pull down. 

I think we are doing a detached pergola.  I thought about a shade/sail, or having it open/close, but we can get some serious winds.  Contractor said he would do it, but he wouldn't do it for his own house as it wouldn't last.  I asked if we could make the spacing tighter, and he sure it will just cost more.   We will be using cedar wood.  I want to add some lights and a fan in the middle.  I forgot to mention that, but figured i could do that.  I have an outlet nearby, so maybe i can branch off that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Question for those of you with Cypress trees. For whatever reason, the people we bought the house from had planted 7 Cypress trees 6' from the fence.  

We've lived here 5 years now and we do like the trees. When we first moved in I could ride the mower between each tree, now we can't even walk between them and they're overlapping. Not a huge deal there (I think) but as you might guess, they're starting to get really close to the fence. I'd guess we have another year or two before they start pressing against the wooden fence. 

I don't want that to happen, but pruning one side is going to make for odd looking trees. That might not be a huge thing as it's a privacy fence, so nobody is going to really see the side that's cut. But is it good for the trees? Is there anything I need to watch for if we only cut the one side? Is the trees overlapping an issue I can't see? 

I can barely get the mower between the trees and the fence now.

I’m not a Cypress expert but I doubt trimming the lower branches would harm them.
 Rather than only trimming one side maybe trim all the branches that are below the top of the fence. it will look uniform and make mowing easier. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're redoing our bathroom soon.

8'x11' space.

Replacing the drop-in tub & shower combo, and putting light tan stone tile up to the ceiling. Glass doors also up to ceiling with 3' pony wall divider.

Installing linen cabinets

Removing the single vanity from the 8' side to the 11' side and expanding to a 60" double vanity with built-in mirror medicine cabinets. Installing sconces above mirrors. 

New recessed LEDs and fan.

Replacing the floors with earth tone tile.

New plumbing and electrical throughout.

Got estimates in the $16K to $24K range for labor only. We'll need to pick out and purchase fixtures ourselves. City permits and inspections included. Does that seem reasonable for an 88 sqft bathroom?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got an estimate of 17k for a 12x24 cedar pergola (labor, material, cleanup).  Included is concrete slab (will require dirt removal, and small retention wall), 8x8 posts, 2x12 beams, 2x8 joists @ 16 oc, 2x2 lattice @ 2" spacing, and 1x2 privacy screen on one end. 

I'm trying to decide if a pergola is worth that much to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got our new HVAC in this week. Old stuff was original equipment (house built in 1986). HUGE upgrade. 15 Seer AC, high efficiency (97%) two-stage variable speed furnace that is a beast. Should be a good reduction in cost for electric during the summer but ridiculously lower cost for heating in the winter. 

Currently getting all the rest of the cart out of our the basement. Once done will have the remediation company come in do repair some drywall and other stuff from seepage (already fixed but big hole in the wall) and sump pump failure. 

Once done, will repaint the walls and get expoxy for the floors. Get a nice 65+ inch tv and be able to enjoy my basement again for movies and football. 

Then work on the list that is like 1,000 items long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, rascal said:

Got an estimate of 17k for a 12x24 cedar pergola (labor, material, cleanup).  Included is concrete slab (will require dirt removal, and small retention wall), 8x8 posts, 2x12 beams, 2x8 joists @ 16 oc, 2x2 lattice @ 2" spacing, and 1x2 privacy screen on one end. 

I'm trying to decide if a pergola is worth that much to me. 

I don't understand pergolas personally. If looking for coverage and shade it only does a half-a$$ job at both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2020 at 1:55 AM, EYLive said:

We're redoing our bathroom soon.

8'x11' space.

Replacing the drop-in tub & shower combo, and putting light tan stone tile up to the ceiling. Glass doors also up to ceiling with 3' pony wall divider.

Installing linen cabinets

Removing the single vanity from the 8' side to the 11' side and expanding to a 60" double vanity with built-in mirror medicine cabinets. Installing sconces above mirrors. 

New recessed LEDs and fan.

Replacing the floors with earth tone tile.

New plumbing and electrical throughout.

Got estimates in the $16K to $24K range for labor only. We'll need to pick out and purchase fixtures ourselves. City permits and inspections included. Does that seem reasonable for an 88 sqft bathroom?

That seems high. We are redoing our master bathroom right now as well. It's small - maybe 5' x 12'. I got a bid for about 10K for labor.

Doing it myself. Should cost me about 4K at the most.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the names of these colors by the paint companies in order to sell them.

We are painting the crib one room at a time, just got the living room finished, the color when we bought the place was some sort of peach-wheat, I'm sure 15+ yrs ago it was a popular color. We did ours in a Light Grey but it's certainly not anywhere close to white, used the higher priced Benjamin Moore "Owl Grey", about $55 a can but I used a $15 can of primer 1st and that saved me from actually having to do 2 coats. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do. Moore Paints are expensive but I have tried others from Home Depot and the like, all pretty much need 2 coats and you don't save much money using cheap interior paints, IMO.  

Now I am not a painting expert but I do think i have a good technique down for rolling it out on the wall. Mrs does a lot of the cut in and I don't even have to get on a ladder to reach so we make a good team, doesn't take all that long once the cut in or edging is done. 

Kitchen is Banana Yellow and they feature it on the website along with "Thunder" which is a medium grey we used for the bathrooms and then we painted the master bedroom Caribbean Blue which is lighter than I can show you and very pretty. Likely going to paint the inside of the front door same yellow as the kitchen to draw it in and make the room pop. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...