What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (14 Viewers)

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1352727151947231232

Maybe if you didn't put half the decent games on ####in Peacock, this wouldn't be necessary.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing this probably means MORE games on Peacock. Quickly losing interest in the EPL as a result.
If all the PL games are available in one spot for $5 a month, that’s an improvement for me. Since Peacock also has Premiership Rugby, cycling, and some decent non-sports content, I’m a fan. 

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1352727151947231232

Maybe if you didn't put half the decent games on ####in Peacock, this wouldn't be necessary.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing this probably means MORE games on Peacock. Quickly losing interest in the EPL as a result.
Maybe if Comcast wasn't such a terrible company this wouldn't be happening. Terrible Customer service as well. NBCSports use to be great until they linked up with Comcast. A lot of great people on the comcastsportsnet channels have lost their jobs in the last few yrs because of this partnership and NBC/Comcast just kicks them to the curb. 

If all the PL games are available in one spot for $5 a month, that’s an improvement for me. Since Peacock also has Premiership Rugby, cycling, and some decent non-sports content, I’m a fan. 

Its not terrible and I like the fact I can go and watch matches I missed now while working later. However I don't get why they would weed out big time fans putting big matches on a streaming service instead of the local NBC channel that has some sort of infomercial or something instead at that time. Makes zero sense. 

Unfortunately, even though one of the main reasons I buy it is now gone (or will be soon), the price of my Direct TV package certainly wont go down at all (now that  NBC sports dies)

That's the part that pisses me off. They've been milking the customers for decades and now that we have the technology to push back a little bit, they split everything you want to watch over multiple different package tiers, streaming services, etc and just milk us even more.

I have like 25 channels I watch (and that might even be generous). In order to get those 25 channels, I have to buy like 300. And now THAT'S not even enough with bull#### like Peacock fragmenting the programming even more. Its complete and total garbage.

Yeah, its "only $5 a month" but when does it stop? If more and more people cut the cord, what's next? Is ESPN gonna stop showing big games on their regular channels and make you pay $5 a for ESPN+ if you want to watch the Iron Bowl or Duke vs UNC? If at some point in the future, the networks can't afford to pay as much for NFL rights, (due to more people cutting the cord)  does the NFL just go on their own and make every game PPV?

I just think its a painfully slippery slope.

:(

it's happened again in brazil...

11:34 AM ET

ESPN

The president of Palmas football club and four of its players were killed on Sunday when a small plane taking them to a Brazilian cup game crashed on take-off.

The fourth-tier club said president Lucas Meira, along with players Lucas Praxedes, Guilherme Noe, Ranule and Marcus Molinari, all died. The pilot, named only as Wagner, was also killed.

"The plane took off and crashed at the end of the runway at the Tocantinense Aviation Association," the club said. "We regret to report there are no survivors."

The plane was heading to Goiania, around 800 km (500 miles) away, where Palmas were due to play Vila Nova on Monday in the last 16 of the Copa Verde, a tournament reserved for teams outside the traditional powerhouses of southern and northeastern Brazil.

The players were traveling in a private plane because they had tested positive for COVID-19, club spokesperson Izabela Martins told The Associated Press. Martins said that Sunday would have been their last day of isolation and that the rest of the team would travel on a commercial flight.

Last edited by a moderator:
the CBA needs to be signed as well.  The sides are at least talking, and swapping proposals.
Well, there's that minor detail. What do you think about the league releasing a schedule yesterday? Seems like it was specifically intended to squeeze the players.

Well, there's that minor detail. What do you think about the league releasing a schedule yesterday? Seems like it was specifically intended to squeeze the players.
I don't know how it is going to play out.  The whole situation sucks.  The players for the first time ever signed a really good CBA for themselves and then Covid hit which allowed MLS to use the force majeure clause to basically nullify the CBA.

I know every league is suffering, hell even Barcelona is bouncing checks to its players things are so bad, but I fear this is going to set back MLS progress by a few years at least.

I don't know how it is going to play out.  The whole situation sucks.  The players for the first time ever signed a really good CBA for themselves and then Covid hit which allowed MLS to use the force majeure clause to basically nullify the CBA.

I know every league is suffering, hell even Barcelona is bouncing checks to its players things are so bad, but I fear this is going to set back MLS progress by a few years at least.
I used “cynical” when describing the league approach on our podcast. I think they are trying to take advantage of the situation beyond the owners’ financial harm out of the pandemic. Most MLS owners are richer now than they were before.

I used “cynical” when describing the league approach on our podcast. I think they are trying to take advantage of the situation beyond the owners’ financial harm out of the pandemic. Most MLS owners are richer now than they were before.
I think that is all fair.

There is no question though the league lost a crap ton of money in 2020 though and lots more will be lost in 2021.

bentley said:
Since The Athletic is behind a paywall, I found this snippet on Reddit:

The league’s offers only further that line of thinking. The proposals don’t appear to do anything to offset costs this year. Under the proposal and in the league’s subsequent counter to the player’s counter, player salaries — a huge line item in the league budget — would remain the same in 2021. Most of the league’s savings would come from another two-year deferment on the often significant gains for players that typically come with the negotiation of a new CBA. Those gains wouldn’t be felt until after 2025, which is when the CBA is currently set to expire.

---

And it’s not as if owners have curtailed spending in other areas. Just this offseason, several teams fired coaches and executives who had time and money left on their contracts, and some hired big-name replacements. Others are building stadiums or training facilities, while a couple just completed rebrands, with a third now embarking on its second logo redesign in as many years. Others still are spending significant amounts of discretionary money on transfer fees and new signings as the league itself looks set to soon add a new pot of money through the not-yet-finalized under-22 initiative.

That’s a lot to unpack, so let’s sum it up: The league claims that owners took a financial beating in 2020 and expect to do so again in 2021. Fair enough. The anticipated losses are so significant that MLS says it can no longer be expected to operate under the current CBA — it simply had to invoke force majeure in order to keep its business viable for owners. But MLS’s offer, and its recent behavior, make it appear as if that isn’t really the case. The league doesn’t seem interested in short-term savings. If it was, more areas outside of the CBA would’ve received deeper cuts. Instead, it seems like MLS is only interested in trying to use the pandemic to financially flex on the players.

The players just gave their latest CBA proposal to MLS and it made one large concession that should move the sides significantly closer.

It is going to look awful if MLS does not accept this and put the whole thing to bed.

Brazilian Second Division last round. Chapecoense needed to score another goal to win the title, as it was tied in points but down in Goals difference. At 98' minute, the referee gave them a penalty. And then, Anselmo Ramon made this...

https://v.redd.it/9ia61ri2vde61

Their captain Alan Ruschel who survived the plane crash raised the trophy.

Brazilian Second Division last round. Chapecoense needed to score another goal to win the title, as it was tied in points but down in Goals difference. At 98' minute, the referee gave them a penalty. And then, Anselmo Ramon made this...

https://v.redd.it/9ia61ri2vde61

Their captain Alan Ruschel who survived the plane crash raised the trophy.
Was just coming here to post that.

Balls of pure brass cheekiness

Where the hell has @Mjolnirs been?

I'm doing my best to keep up with Italy and that dude hasn't been around to help us with the German table for a while.

:banned:
I’m here, just don’t come to the forums as much lately. Busy/chaotic times around the family, and all of the fun threads went away a while back. Decreases the incentive. 

Meanwhile Bayern soldiers in despite getting knocked out of the DFB Pokal in round 2. 

I guess it's not just me that are having some footballing fatigue. I came to look for information about the deadline day stuff, and not a single post. 

charvik said:
I guess it's not just me that are having some footballing fatigue. I came to look for information about the deadline day stuff, and not a single post. 

charvik said:
we had a lot to talk about in the US thread as there was more movement for US players on deadline day than ever before.

:(

================

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

About 29 hours until latest MLS deadline in labor negotiations with players' association. Lockout looms. Says one person in player camp but not involved in talks: "Sadly, I think there are a number of owners who don’t want to play at all."

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
MLS office: prepare for a lockout!

FC Cincy: Money machine go brrrrrrrr.
Yeah this is quite a dichotomy.

The Cincy (expected) signing is really exciting and interesting.  MLS has had a mini pipeline from Argentina for a while but if they can start to crack the Brazilian transfer market, that is going to open up a whole new diversity of players into the league.

ok this sounds pretty good.  A simple majority is all that is needed from the players and this gets put to bed until 2027.

Sounds like the full player pool will vote tomorrow and if their represenatives already agreed to the CBA, this seems like a very good chance to get done.

=================================

Sam Stejskal

@samstejskal

A source confirms Jeremy's reporting to me. CBA is tentatively approved. Vote has passed the bargaining committee and exec board. Now on to the full player pool for approval.

ok this sounds pretty good.  A simple majority is all that is needed from the players and this gets put to bed until 2027.

Sounds like the full player pool will vote tomorrow and if their represenatives already agreed to the CBA, this seems like a very good chance to get done.

=================================

Sam Stejskal

@samstejskal

A source confirms Jeremy's reporting to me. CBA is tentatively approved. Vote has passed the bargaining committee and exec board. Now on to the full player pool for approval.
Major League Soccer and the MLS Players Association reached an agreement on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the MLSPA announced on Friday.

The MLSPA bargaining committee and executive board voted to tentatively approve a proposal which will allow the league to avoid a work stoppage. The MLS’ full player pool must still vote to approve the proposal. A vote will occur over the weekend.

On Thursday evening, MLS and the MLSPA released a statement saying they were extending the negotiation period by 24 hours since negotiations had reached an advanced stage.

Why the MLSPA agreed to a deal

Sam Stejskal, MLS staff writer: The MLSPA executive board and bargaining committee approved sending the CBA to the full player pool for ratification principally to avoid a lockout.

The players have been clear throughout this process that they were not happy to be negotiating. They didn't like that the league brought them back to the table for the third time in the last year by invoking the force majeure clause and they didn't like the fact that MLS was insistent on extending the CBA by two years through 2027.

In the end, as always, the leverage resided with the owners. MLS players are making more money than ever, but they still don't bring home nearly as much as their counterparts in other North American sports or other big soccer leagues. A lockout, with its lack of paychecks, would've been difficult for many players to manage. As one source put it earlier this week, at the "end of the day, salaries and bonuses were most important right now." The league committed to no pay cuts in 2021. That was enough.

What this means

Paul Tenorio, MLS staff writer: Pending tomorrow's full player vote, tonight's decision means MLS will avoid the first work stoppage in its history. If the two sides had not been able to reach a deal, MLS had already announced that the owners on the labor committee voted to lock the players out. With this agreement, a lockout is avoided.

Key details of the new CBA

Stejskal: The main details have not yet been announced by the league or the MLSPA. ESPN reported some of the details earlier on Friday, some of which were confirmed to The Athletic by a source:

CBA extended by two years through 2027

No pay cuts for players in 2021

Fewer restrictions on which players qualify for free agency in 2026 and 2027

According to ESPN, a 10 percent increase to the salary budget, minimum salary and maximum budget charge between 2026 and 2027

What's next?

Tenorio: A vote will be held tomorrow by the full MLS player pool. A simple majority is necessary to ratify the new agreement and move forward with a new CBA. Once that player vote ratifies the agreement, it's time to talk about soccer again. MLS training camps will open on Feb. 22 and the regular season starts on April 3.

Allow me to share a story that will be of interest to no one other than myself.

Atalanta were at home this morning against lowly Torino and just flying.  Within 22 minutes Atalanta are up 3-0 and it's like blood in the water out there as Torino is barely able to crack into the attack, and every time Atalanta have it, they are 2-3 passes into a scoring chance.  Torino are sitting well within relegation zone here and seems another loss is in the cards.

In the 33rd minute, Torino captain Andrea Belotti receives a pass and is on the attack just outside the Atalanta penalty area, and there is a tangle and a foul is blown with a free kick awarded to Torino in an extremely promising position about 2 yards outside the box.  Finally, a chance to get into the game.  But, Belotti starts shaking his finger no-no as there were a tangle of hands, but he simply lost his footing a bit and doesn't feel he was fouled.  A brief discussion ensues, and a drop ball is awarded where Belotti passes the ball back to the Atalanta keeper.  

Torino came back to draw today 3-3 to keep them just ahead of relegation.  Belotti has a new fan.

Earlier this morning, some useless #### on some useless London team started rolling around on the ground and a yellow was given to Aston Villa's Esri Konsa.  But, not only was it not a yellow, but the #### tripped himself and Konsa didn't even touch this kid.  But, as this team from London are all a bunch of ####s, they said nothing.  Aston Villa won this morning 1-0 and I couldn't be happier.  Karma #####es

Major League Soccer and the MLS Players Association reached an agreement on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the MLSPA announced on Friday.

The MLSPA bargaining committee and executive board voted to tentatively approve a proposal which will allow the league to avoid a work stoppage. The MLS’ full player pool must still vote to approve the proposal. A vote will occur over the weekend.

On Thursday evening, MLS and the MLSPA released a statement saying they were extending the negotiation period by 24 hours since negotiations had reached an advanced stage.

Why the MLSPA agreed to a deal

Sam Stejskal, MLS staff writer: The MLSPA executive board and bargaining committee approved sending the CBA to the full player pool for ratification principally to avoid a lockout.

The players have been clear throughout this process that they were not happy to be negotiating. They didn't like that the league brought them back to the table for the third time in the last year by invoking the force majeure clause and they didn't like the fact that MLS was insistent on extending the CBA by two years through 2027.

In the end, as always, the leverage resided with the owners. MLS players are making more money than ever, but they still don't bring home nearly as much as their counterparts in other North American sports or other big soccer leagues. A lockout, with its lack of paychecks, would've been difficult for many players to manage. As one source put it earlier this week, at the "end of the day, salaries and bonuses were most important right now." The league committed to no pay cuts in 2021. That was enough.

What this means

Paul Tenorio, MLS staff writer: Pending tomorrow's full player vote, tonight's decision means MLS will avoid the first work stoppage in its history. If the two sides had not been able to reach a deal, MLS had already announced that the owners on the labor committee voted to lock the players out. With this agreement, a lockout is avoided.

Key details of the new CBA

Stejskal: The main details have not yet been announced by the league or the MLSPA. ESPN reported some of the details earlier on Friday, some of which were confirmed to The Athletic by a source:

CBA extended by two years through 2027

No pay cuts for players in 2021

Fewer restrictions on which players qualify for free agency in 2026 and 2027

According to ESPN, a 10 percent increase to the salary budget, minimum salary and maximum budget charge between 2026 and 2027

What's next?

Tenorio: A vote will be held tomorrow by the full MLS player pool. A simple majority is necessary to ratify the new agreement and move forward with a new CBA. Once that player vote ratifies the agreement, it's time to talk about soccer again. MLS training camps will open on Feb. 22 and the regular season starts on April 3.
ESPN is reporting that while the votes are being sent out today to the players, they don't expect the vote to complete until tomorrow night.

Yep. It's super fun. Almost a full roster. MLS announced plans to start in early April. Just need this little pandemic thing to blow over.
Remember when the Union started out over a decade ago now. It was really exciting seeing everything come together. 

Would've been posting but Work has been kicking my ### lately. Finally on Vacation this week. 

Allow me to share a story that will be of interest to no one other than myself.

Atalanta were at home this morning against lowly Torino and just flying.  Within 22 minutes Atalanta are up 3-0 and it's like blood in the water out there as Torino is barely able to crack into the attack, and every time Atalanta have it, they are 2-3 passes into a scoring chance.  Torino are sitting well within relegation zone here and seems another loss is in the cards.

In the 33rd minute, Torino captain Andrea Belotti receives a pass and is on the attack just outside the Atalanta penalty area, and there is a tangle and a foul is blown with a free kick awarded to Torino in an extremely promising position about 2 yards outside the box.  Finally, a chance to get into the game.  But, Belotti starts shaking his finger no-no as there were a tangle of hands, but he simply lost his footing a bit and doesn't feel he was fouled.  A brief discussion ensues, and a drop ball is awarded where Belotti passes the ball back to the Atalanta keeper.  

Torino came back to draw today 3-3 to keep them just ahead of relegation.  Belotti has a new fan.

Earlier this morning, some useless #### on some useless London team started rolling around on the ground and a yellow was given to Aston Villa's Esri Konsa.  But, not only was it not a yellow, but the #### tripped himself and Konsa didn't even touch this kid.  But, as this team from London are all a bunch of ####s, they said nothing.  Aston Villa won this morning 1-0 and I couldn't be happier.  Karma #####es
And they say Italians are floppers and are dishonest. This is why I hate the EPL fans calling other leagues floppers. it happens just as much if not more in the English league now then any other and the refs award the dishonest play especially to the bigger clubs. Its actually laughable. I've like Belotti for yrs but it helps when the fact is Belotti has been a Milan fan since childhood. Some of the "fouls" I see get awarded in England is just downright disgraceful these days. 

Users who are viewing this thread