What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (10 Viewers)

Memphis Foundry

The King of Wishful Thinking
Staff member
WHERE DID THIS THREAD GO!?!one!1!!

Hi y'all -- sorry for the trouble.

I've been researching how to make our forums faster and more responsive over the last month. The performance of our forums, though never particularly speedy, had become uniformly slow with occasional unpredictable and excruciating delays. So I asked the folks at Invision Power, the forum software's authors, to dig in and make some recommendations on how we can speed the site up.

They recommended a number of infrastructure and settings changes which we've implemented in this upgrade. More performance upgrades will be coming when Invision releases their 4.0 version later this year. But their most significant recommendation -- more important than all the others combined -- was that we needed to archive and reopen the board's largest, most trafficked, and most loved threads.

There are fifteen threads that account for over 845,000 of the board's 13,000,000 posts and they've been viewed nearly 13,000,000 times. These threads have grown so large and they are loaded so often that their performance impact on the board can't be properly normalized. This is one of those fifteen threads.

For now, we've moved these threads to a new forum called Archived Topics to isolate them from the most heavily-trafficked forums -- the FFA and Shark Pool -- and preserved them so that they cannot be replied to, edited, or deleted. The original threads remain searchable, and I've added a link below to the original version of this topic. Over the next couple of weeks, these threads will be converted into archived threads by the Invision Board aoftware and moved back to their original forum. After archiving, they will remain searchable and browsable.

If you are the Original Poster of one of these threads, I encourage you to start a new topic to be version 2.0 of your thread and PM me with the link. I will merge this post into your new topic and leave it pinned for a few weeks.

Peace.
Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/160947-recently-viewed-movie-thread-rental-edition/

Saw Edge of Tomorrow. I liked it. The ending was ridiculous, but everything up to the end was entertaining. I still had a problem with the general's motivations: hire a guy for publicity and just scrap the whole damn thing and try to get him killed. Makes no sense. Not a spoiler, first 5 minutes of the movie.

Looking to watch a good sci-fi film. I've seen most of the "big" releases, wondering if anyone had a lesser known favorite.

KarmaPolice said:
Corporation said:
KarmaPolice said:
Why is this pinned?
You didn't read the MF post.
:no: Was too many paragraphs, and wasn't a movie review.
The original thread was too big. So MF started this new one. He pinned it so people would see it and not fear the original thread was deleted. It's just locked away in the archive for the time being. MF hopes that the person who started the original thread will start a new thread, a "Recently Viewed Movies Thread 2.0". So that that poster can retain control of the thread. Once the new thread is created, MF will merge the new thread with the comments in this thread, and unpin it. Then movie discussion will continue as normal in the 2.0 thread. It'll just be fewer pages.

The reason, is that, for some ridiculously weird reason, every time you click on a thread, the forum software has to load the entire thread into memory to give you the single page you want. So every time someone opens a 500-page thread, the software loads all 500 pages into memory just to generate the last one that it actually delivers.

And, for some other, unknown reason, the board was running just fine under the old way, but this somehow will "improve" our experience in ways we will never be able to notice.
:lmao: he says "too many paragraphs" and I think you wrote more. :lmao:

True Romance.

Action, great actors, great story.

very underrated- released about 15 yrs ago?. Won't disappoint. I promise.

Thanks for the recommendations. These are the only 2 I haven't seen and will check them out. You guys are good though because of the ones I have seen and were recommended I really liked them all.

Delicatessen

Colossus: The Forbin Project

tried Nightcrawler based on the recommendations here. Too many ridiculous plot holes to make it enjoyable.

There's no way any news station would air most of what he shot. You tamper with a guy's van and he runs into a pole? You can't go on the internet with a license plate number and find a home address.

Was in a crabby mood last night (which probably led to the reactions), but I wanted a few laughs, so I tried:

Dumb and Dumber To, Horrible Bosses 2, and The Interview

I only was able to make it through about 1 hour of each of the movies, and maybe laughed a combined 2 times in that nearly 3 hours wasted. All 3 = 3/10

Wife is out of town until Friday and the "Archived Topics forum is apparently just for show so I can't reference the old thread. Any good Netflix/Amazon/OnDeamand recommendations?

I've been wanting to watch that Vikings show. Caught the first one and thought it was pretty fun, but havne't had the time.

Was in a crabby mood last night (which probably led to the reactions), but I wanted a few laughs, so I tried:

I only was able to make it through about 1 hour of each of the movies, and maybe laughed a combined 2 times in that nearly 3 hours wasted. All 3 = 3/10
maybe watching something funny when you`re not in the mood to laugh isnt such a great way to gauge a comedy...watching a violent blood fest would be more appropriate IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

maybe watching something funny when you`re not in the mood to laugh isnt such a great way to gauge a comedy...watching a violent blood fest would be more appropriate IMO
I was in a bad mood, but was in the mood to laugh/wanted to laugh. I just ended up popping in Arrested Development and watching that and laughing.

Are you saying that those three movies are funny?

I was in a bad mood, but was in the mood to laugh/wanted to laugh. I just ended up popping in Arrested Development and watching that and laughing.

Are you saying that those three movies are funny?
well i havent see HB or D& D...but i got more than a few laughs from the Interview...James Franco nailed his part

While trying to find a decent sci-fi flick I realized I hadn't watched A Scanner Darkly. It has solid reviews and I couldn't believe I have missed it. However, I am struggling with it. I've started it twice, both times late at night and fell asleep, but I wasn't exactly getting into it. Does it get better?

While trying to find a decent sci-fi flick I realized I hadn't watched A Scanner Darkly. It has solid reviews and I couldn't believe I have missed it. However, I am struggling with it. I've started it twice, both times late at night and fell asleep, but I wasn't exactly getting into it. Does it get better?
It's a "high concept" film, which is a fancy way of saying No it doesn't get better but it still explores some interesting concepts.

Users who are viewing this thread